The Incredible Puzzle Thread

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Someone else can give a new puzzle.

There are three switches downstairs. Each corresponds to one of the three light bulbs in the attic. You can turn the switches on and off and leave them in any position.
    How would you identify which switch corresponds to which light bulb, if you are only allowed one trip upstairs?
  • edited June 2010
    There are three switches downstairs. Each corresponds to one of the three light bulbs in the attic. You can turn the switches on and off and leave them in any position.
    How would you identify which switch corresponds to which light bulb, if you are only allowed one trip upstairs?

turn the 1st switch on for a long time, then turn it off and turn on the second switch, go upstairs, one light bulb will be warm/hot if you touch it, thats switch 1, the light still on is switch 2, the one off is switch 3
  • edited June 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    Fill in the blanks, both blanks must be the same word and the sentence must make sense

"My (blank) is (blank) than my wallet"

My better is better than my wallet

In this sentence, the first better can be used to describe a person who places bets for the speaker. The second better is showing dominance.

It means that the one who places bets is better than the speaker's wallet because the limitations on the wallet stop the speaker from winning tons of money, and we can assume that the speaker just won a bet because of the "better".

It's a long shot, but I hope it fits.
  • edited June 2010
    My better is better than my wallet

In this sentence, the first better can be used to describe a person who places bets for the speaker. The second better is showing dominance.

It means that the one who places bets is better than the speaker's wallet because the limitations on the wallet stop the speaker from winning tons of money, and we can assume that the speaker just won a bet because of the "better".

It's a long shot, but I hope it fits.

I can see what your saying but, its not the answer
  • edited June 2010
    Problem is, that's for incandescent bulbs, which aren't even sold anymore in some parts of the world :p
  • edited June 2010
    I can see what your saying but, its not the answer

what can we use before "my wallet"? I did a search for stuff ending with -er, because that's all I can think of, and these are the first six that came up:

*Better
    *Bigger
    *Higher
    *Lighter
    *Fatter
    *Larger

Mentally trying them...

OH! Is it
    lighter
    ?

That was lucky, or I'd have to find the next six and keep going!
  • edited June 2010
    no, minus 10
    No, minus 11.

Whoops! Shoulda checked my knowledge really. Bamse and The Highway are correct.
    So the pattern goes
    R,B,R,B,R,B,R,B,R,B,
    R,B,R,B,R,B,R,B,R,B,
    R,B,R,B,R,B,R,B,R,B,Y,G

If you solve it from now on, just give the next letter in the sequence, and so on. Someone else can give a new puzzle.
    Explain please.. I still don't understand!
  • edited June 2010
    what can we use before "my wallet"? I did a search for stuff ending with -er, because that's all I can think of, and these are the first six that came up:

*Better
    *Bigger
    *Higher
    *Lighter
    *Fatter
    *Larger

Mentally trying them...

OH! Is it
    lighter
    ?

That was lucky, or I'd have to find the next six and keep going!

Yep Lighter is the answer :)
  • edited June 2010
    NeatNit wrote: »
    No, minus 11.

No, ten.

If Lena P takes ten and Avistew takes 0, there are x-10 cookies left for me to munch down.
    Yep Lighter is the answer :)

w00t!
  • edited June 2010
    My lighter is lighter than my wallet.

EDIT: Argh, too late!
  • edited June 2010
    No, ten.

If Lena P takes ten and Avistew takes 0, there are x-10 cookies left for me to munch down.
    No, 11.
    If Lena P takes ten, Avistew takes 0, and NeatNit takes 1, there are x-11 cookies left for you to munch down.

And you'll have to eat them fast, I think I want another one.
  • edited June 2010
    No, 11.
    If Lena P takes ten, Avistew takes 0, and NeatNit takes 1, there are x-11 cookies left for you to munch down.

And you'll have to eat them fast, I think I want another one.

Touché, good sir. You are a worthy adversary, I challenge you to HAIKU WARS! Which doesn't exist yet...

Haiku Wars I Want,
    But It Does Not Exist Yet...
    Curse The Lack Of It!
  • edited June 2010
    Stick to puzzles please,
    This is no place for Haikus,
    Damn, ive done one too!
  • edited June 2010
    Stick to puzzles please,
    This is no place for Haikus,
    Damn, ive done one too!

Haikus are awesome,
    They will take over the world!
    There is no escape!
  • edited June 2010
    Haikus must be stopped,
    Nothing good can come from them!
    They will destroy you!
  • edited June 2010
    *points to the haiku thread*

So... Do you know why my nose isn't 12 inches long?
  • edited June 2010
    prizna, you don't see,
    haikus are my bestest friends,
    now, you must be killed
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    *points to the haiku thread*

So... Do you know why my nose isn't 12 inches long?

because then it would be a foot?
  • edited June 2010
    Dont get your hopes up,
    I can hide in all places
    You'll never find me!
  • edited June 2010
    because then it would be a foot?

Yes!
    Okay, that's a bad joke more than a puzzle, but I had to stop the haikus >.>
  • edited June 2010
    Whoops! Shoulda checked my knowledge really. Bamse and The Highway are correct.
    So the pattern goes
    R,B,R,B,R,B,R,B,R,B,
    R,B,R,B,R,B,R,B,R,B,
    R,B,R,B,R,B,R,B,R,B,Y,G

If you solve it from now on, just give the next letter in the sequence, and so on. Someone else can give a new puzzle.
    Explain please.. I still don't understand!
    Please?
  • edited June 2010
    Please?

Hint:
  • edited June 2010
    I thought about stuff that have red and black (assuming that's what B is rather than blue or brown) and could think of roulette and a deck of cards, neither of which fits here.
  • edited June 2010
    Ah, in which case the next one is
    B

More detailed spoiler:
    But not the same B as before!
  • edited June 2010
    Haikus are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

With the lightswitch thing, you could have 5 bulbs and 5 switches:
    Turn two switches on, leave them on for a long time
    Keep flicking switch 5 on and off loads of times really fast for a long time
    Turn switch 1 off and switch 3 on then go upstairs

1 - Off and hot
    2 - On and hot
    3 - On and not that hot
    4 - Off and cold
    5 - Broken
  • edited June 2010
    Just tell me the answer...
  • edited June 2010
    Here's a word puzzle:
    A man named Jack was born in 1701. But he is still alive and perfectly healthy, with no signs of being elderly. How is this Possible?
  • edited June 2010
    1701 is a city or postal code?
  • edited June 2010
    Here's a word puzzle:
    A man named Jack was born in 1701. But he is still alive and perfectly healthy, with no signs of being elderly. How is this Possible?

He's in cryostasis. Or what Harald B said.
  • edited June 2010
    Here's a word puzzle:

He was born in hospital room 1701?
  • edited June 2010
    Or the sentence itself is from 1701 =P
  • edited June 2010
    A curse transformed him into a two-dimensional hieroglyph on a tomb wall, where characters stay alive and healthy for all eternity.

OR

He ran into the time elevator when a strange time-traveling band of mariachi birthday singers arrived to wish him happy birthday in the 1700s.
  • edited June 2010
    If it's a date, it's using a different calendar?
  • edited June 2010
    I hate that light switch puzzle; it is so awkward that it doesn't even make sense. Why would you have light switches for a room floors down/down a long hallway from the room? How do you know the switches are for that room, but not for which light bulbs? Why would you assume that the switches and bulbs are all on different circuits in a 1:1 to each other?

If you said someone left three hoses tangled up all over a large garden you'd have the same puzzle only it'd be slightly more sensible. You could even say they were plugged in around the corner of a house or something. It's kind of a stupid peeve, I realize that, I just don't like overly-complicated or bizarrely situated puzzles.
  • edited June 2010
    I totally agree with you, Lena, but I didn't dare rant about it.
  • edited June 2010
    I once saw a (pretty lame) video game that made a liiittle more sense out of the situation, but at the cost of making it even more stupid.

Instead of three bulbs, there was a traffic light - red, yellow, and green.
    You were the guy in the booth behind the traffic light that controlled it (lol), but you don't know which button controls which light.
    Also you have butter and there's a dog outside that will kill you if you get out of the booth more than once.

:)
  • edited June 2010
    Okay, this is a "puzzle" that I just made up so may or may not work. Here area string of notes:
    picture.php?albumid=170&pictureid=2102
    Following the pattern set up here, where should the next note go?
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Okay, this is a "puzzle" that I just made up so may or may not work. Here area string of notes:
    picture.php?albumid=170&pictureid=2102
    Following the pattern set up here, where should the next note go?

D flat
  • edited June 2010
    Yay! That's right! I think ... it's been more than 15 years since I last took a music class.
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Yay! That's right! I think ... it's been more than 15 years since I last took a music class.

You. Gotta. Be. F-flatting. Kidding me!

That was just a random guess to be an idiot, although if I was 20 metres to the south I could have played that and found it out anyway...

In closing, I can read minds.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.