The Incredible Puzzle Thread

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Here is a "puzzle"

If you have 5 apples in 1 hand and 7 apples in the other hand what do you have?
  • edited June 2010
    Big hands?
  • edited June 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    Big hands?

yea you got it :)
  • edited June 2010
    Small apples? What?
  • edited June 2010
    the answer was big hands
  • edited June 2010
    I would have said "baskets".
  • edited June 2010
    anyone got anymore good puzzles?
  • edited June 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    anyone got anymore good puzzles?

I know one but it's French...
    You know what, I'll try anyways.

What's the next line?
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    i know one but it's french...
    You know what, i'll try anyways.

What's the next line?
  • edited June 2010

Yes! Did you know it or did you figure it out, and if you figured it out, can you explain how?
  • edited June 2010
    I knew it, it was somehow buried in my memory and I've just remembered it.
    It's a quite well known "math" riddle here in Spain too.

There's another riddle with numbers from 1 to 9:
    8-5-4-9-... what's next?

HINT: Well, I'm actually used to the Spanish version
    5-4-2-9-... what's next?

HINT-2: Maybe Avistew is more used to this other version
    5-2-8-9-... what's next?
  • edited June 2010
    Okay, then let's allow people who don't know it to guess it :)
    You guys can read his spoiler for an extra line. It's not ruining the solution and you can still try guessing the one after that if you want.
  • edited June 2010
    I know one but it's French...
    You know what, I'll try anyways.

What's the next line?

I got frustrated and looked the answer and explanation up online. What was supposed to be French about it? The explanation I read was in English, and it made perfect sense to me.
  • edited June 2010
    I got frustrated and looked the answer and explanation up online. What was supposed to be French about it? The explanation I read was in English, and it made perfect sense to me.
    The first time I told it on an English forum, people complained that it "didn't work in English". In French, numbers don't have plurals, therefore the first line is read "one one" but the second is read "two one" and so on, instead of "two ones". I was told the fact it didn't work the same in English prevented people from guessing the solution.
    Since that was a complaint then, I hesitated posting it here.

If you say it works fine though, I'll trust you on that. It's hard to tell when you already know the solution.
  • edited June 2010
    Heres one:

AEFHIKLMN

What are the next 2 letters and why?
  • edited June 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    Heres one:

AEFHIKLMN

What are the next 2 letters and why?

T and V, they're letters with only straight lines.
  • edited June 2010
    Yay, you got it :)
  • edited June 2010
    NeatNit wrote: »
    Whoops! Shoulda checked my knowledge really. Bamse and The Highway are correct.
    So the pattern goes
    R,B,R,B,R,B,R,B,R,B,
    R,B,R,B,R,B,R,B,R,B,
    R,B,R,B,R,B,R,B,R,B,Y,G

If you solve it from now on, just give the next letter in the sequence, and so on. Someone else can give a new puzzle.
    Explain please.. I still don't understand!
  • edited June 2010

I googled the hint, "147", and found that it was the top score in a kind of pool game. To get that score, you need to get the balls in the holes in a specific order, first a succession of all 15 red and black balls, alternating them, and then all the remaining colours.
    I couldn't find anywhere stating if the remaining colours had to be in a specific order or not. I'm not even sure WHAT they are. But it looks like that's the answer.
  • edited June 2010
    I googled the hint, "147", and found that it was the top score in a kind of pool game. To get that score, you need to get the balls in the holes in a specific order, first a succession of all 15 red and black balls, alternating them, and then all the remaining colours.
    I couldn't find anywhere stating if the remaining colours had to be in a specific order or not. I'm not even sure WHAT they are. But it looks like that's the answer.

Yeah, 147 is the highest score you can get in one break (basically, one go at the table) in snooker. Basic rules are that you must first pot a red, then a coloured ball and repeat that until all the reds (15 of them) have been potted. Then the coloured balls must be potted in order of points value (yellow, green, brown, blue, pink & black - points value 2 to 7 in that order).
  • edited June 2010
    So... B and P would be the final two letters.
    Thanks! A bit tricky considering I didn't even know that game before, but interesting puzzle.
  • edited June 2010
    Instead of three bulbs, there was a traffic light - red, yellow, and green. You were the guy in the booth behind the traffic light that controlled it (lol), but you don't know which button controls which light. Also you have butter and there's a dog outside that will kill you if you get out of the booth more than once.

That has a different solution. In that case, you just flip switches noticing what crashing noises result. Then the police come for you, and you blame the dog.
  • edited June 2010
    I knew it, it was somehow buried in my memory and I've just remembered it.
    It's a quite well known "math" riddle here in Spain too.

There's another riddle with numbers from 1 to 9:
    8-5-4-9-... what's next?

HINT: Well, I'm actually used to the Spanish version
    5-4-2-9-... what's next?

HINT-2: Maybe Avistew is more used to this other version
    5-2-8-9-... what's next?

The top one goes: 8,5,4,9,1 or 0
    The bottom one goes 5,2,8,9,4
    Dunno about the middle one

Curious addition on the one avistew posted, for people that have already seen that puzzle, in the sequence:
    etc.

If I were to carry on to 1million lines, what would be the biggest digit on the millionth line? And why?
  • edited June 2010
    ... I have the gut feeling it wouldn't go over 3. But I couldn't explain why...

And haha, Javi-Wan, good one ^_^
  • edited June 2010
    9? I think?

The simplest way to check would be to actually do it (or make a small program to do it :P).
  • edited June 2010
    He was born in hospital room 1701?

You got it. Jack was born in Hospital Room 1701.
  • edited June 2010
    How about another?
    Monkey challenged Snake to a Gunfight. Monkey was known to be very quick, but Snake was known to be deadly. Who won the fight?
  • edited June 2010
    Monkey because snakes don't have fingers to pull the trigger?

...or hands to hold the gun :)
  • edited June 2010
    9? I think?

The simplest way to check would be to actually do it (or make a small program to do it :P).

Nyaha, if you get a program to do it, I will ask you another question: What is the biggest digit in the TWENTY-EIGHT-TRILLIONTH line... and so on, until your computer program breaks :D
  • edited June 2010
    The biggest digit would still be 3. To get a 4, the previous line would have four of the same in a row, so if you split them in two's (because of the way it got generated) it's either like {.. ab bb bc ..} or {.. bb bb ..}. The first is impossible because it would be {.. [a+b]b bc ..} instead, the second because it would be {.. [2*b]b ..} instead.
    (This assumes the "digits" don't use a decimal system per se and may have some minor issues. You can do a strict proof by using induction, but I'm not going to go to that length here.)
  • edited June 2010
    Monkey because snakes don't have fingers to pull the trigger?

...or hands to hold the gun :)

Jeez.. People are solving mine too quickly.
  • edited June 2010
    OK, wiseguys, here's one more.
    Anastasia and Bertha were sisters. Both were equal in terms of how they acted. Anastasia died on Land, and Bertha died at Sea. People were devastated when Anastasia died, but happy when Bertha died. Why is this?
  • edited June 2010
    "Anastasia and Bertha were nuclear bombs" sorta works, but I'll keep thinking. Other sort of... killy things... that are better to have at sea (whirlwinds etc.) seem to sorta work in the same way. Hmmm.
  • edited June 2010
    OK, wiseguys, here's one more.
    Anastasia and Bertha were sisters. Both were equal in terms of how they acted. Anastasia died on Land, and Bertha died at Sea. People were devastated when Anastasia died, but happy when Bertha died. Why is this?
    Maybe they're storms.
  • edited June 2010
    Maybe they're storms.

that would fit. they always get female names.
  • edited June 2010
    And they get names in alphabetical order, that also fits.
    The first one died on land, causing much destruction on its (her?) way, while the second one died at sea, before arriving land, without causing destruction, so people is happy.
  • edited June 2010
    And they get names in alphabetical order, that also fits.
    The first one died on land, causing much destruction on its (her?) way, while the second one died at sea, before arriving land, without causing destruction, so people is happy.

So People ARE happy. But I'll let it slide this one time. And Yes, you were right.
  • edited June 2010
    Oldy but goody?

AEFHIKLMNTVWXYZ
    BCDGJOPQRSU

Why are some above and some below??
  • edited June 2010
    The ones below have curves in all the right places
  • edited June 2010
    Hooray! Yous guys are all so smart!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.