Over 50 puzzles?!

Wow, that sounds like a lot, considering it's only one episode. At least at this point.

I'm starting to get a little excited for Puzzle Agent now.

I wonder how many hours of gameplay will episode one generally have? Is it going to be around the 6-hour area like most TT games? Or maybe a bit longer, considering over 50 puzzles... ?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    I'd say it's a solid number and sounds about right. Each Layton game has about 150 main puzzles plus a couple of dozen bonus and hidden ones. To be the episodic alternative to that they'd need about 40 per episode. So 50 is comfortably many, but certainly not crazily high.
  • edited May 2010
    I'm definately in favor of the amount of puzzles. [also in favor of longer play time, if that's the case... not sure if it will be though..]

I'm actually not familiar with the Prof. Layton games, other than what I've been hearing at this site. :o
  • edited May 2010
    They got all the previous TTG games, mashed into one, and replaced the characters and artwork. :D
  • edited May 2010
    50 puzzles in a Telltale game, well if this game will keep Telltale Gamers involved in one puzzle for an entire day and into the next then it's fine.
  • edited May 2010
    I loved the comment of the original amount of negative six
  • edited May 2010
    Catfish33 wrote: »
    Wow, that sounds like a lot, considering it's only one episode. At least at this point.

I'm starting to get a little excited for Puzzle Agent now.

I wonder how many hours of gameplay will episode one generally have? Is it going to be around the 6-hour area like most TT games? Or maybe a bit longer, considering over 50 puzzles... ?

Some people here will say that you take way too long to finish a game. I say :O you take six hours? show me how! i spend about 3 days on each game!
  • edited May 2010
    I dunno where you got this info from, but 50 is a good number.

Layton 1 has 110 puzzles I believe, and I think 2 has 200. No idea about 3, 4 or 5 as they're not out in English yet (slowest fucking translators ever...).

I was expecting 30, but I was kinda worried it was going to be 15 or so. 50 is fantastic news for me.
  • edited May 2010
    info came out in the interloper
  • edited May 2010
    Fury wrote: »
    Layton 1 has 110 puzzles I believe, and I think 2 has 200. No idea about 3, 4 or 5 as they're not out in English yet (slowest fucking translators ever...).

Hey! Some puzzles need to be adapted, and either way that's a huge amount of text, a lot of it not easily translatable. Plus it might be the fault of anyone for all you know, there is really no need to blame it on the translator(s).
  • edited May 2010
    And some puzzle even has to be replaced because those were too Japanese. Professor Layton is really HARD to translate, far I know T_T
  • edited May 2010
    and some puzzles have to be redrawn
  • edited May 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    And some puzzle even has to be replaced because those were too Japanese. Professor Layton is really HARD to translate, far I know T_T

It uses a lot of kanji. I started playing "Layton Koujou to Saigo no Jikan Ryouko" (I know i've spelt that wrong) and I got stuck at the first puzzle. I could get most of the dialogue, Luke gets a letter from himself from ten years in the future, there's a joke about time travelling mailmen, and then Luke and Layton go to some demonstration of a time machine.

And then the puzzle starts. You have to put this guy on one specific table, and there;s like 20, and it's a riddle. And it's designed to be wordy for japanese people, so I just went BLEHHHHHH and gave up. Same sorta thing happened with "Layton Kyojou to Majin no Fue", I gave up on that one.
  • edited May 2010
    When reading through this thread i strongly hope that the puzzles feel less artificial and are more natural integrated than in Professor Layton. I prefer more a real adventure instead of a scenario where just a certain number of puzzles are thrown into with only some wannabe connection.

Considering all the puzzles in magazines it's quite interesting that it took some time until something like Layton showed up.
  • edited May 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    When reading through this thread i strongly hope that the puzzles feel less artificial and are more natural integrated than in Professor Layton. I prefer more a real adventure instead of a scenario where just a certain number of puzzles are thrown into with only some wannabe connection.

Considering all the puzzles in magazines it's quite interesting that it took some time until something like Layton showed up.

Puzzle Agent isn't the only Layton Ripoff. There's a couple of DS games out too. None of them are particularly good.
  • edited May 2010
    I wouldnt call it a ripoff, its just acknowledging a style that has been proven to work and applying it to an original storyline and characters.
  • edited May 2010
    I wouldnt call it a ripoff, its just acknowledging a style that has been proven to work and applying it to an original storyline and characters.

From what I've seen so far, Layton has been a HUGE inspiration.

That being said, ripoffs can be good. The World Ends With You was a fantastic game, but the whole game ripped off Shin Megami Tensei.
  • edited May 2010
    Ripoffs CAN be good, i agree.

But it doesn't feel like much of a rip off. From what I can see, the style, genre, story progression, puzzles, characters, locations, platforms, and company are all quite different. It's just that the game concept has been rarely seen and as such we almost automatically categorize new puzzle games as "must be a rip off of Professor Layton".
  • TorTor
    edited May 2010
    It's just that the game concept has been rarely seen and as such we almost automatically categorize new puzzle games as "must be a rip off of Professor Layton".
    Exactly. Remember back when the first FPS games were coming out, and everybody called them "Doom clones"? (Related graphic)
  • edited May 2010
    Besides which, Telltale also brings up Layton repeatedly when talking about this. It's only natural.
    And taumel, I'll just quote myself from another thread for you.
    Harald B wrote: »
    In a brief interview with Kotaku Mark Darin told them exactly what I was hoping to hear from someone official:
    While the Tethers gameplay style may seem close to that of the Nintendo and Level 5 Layton games, Darin believes that a distinguishing factor will be the integration of the puzzles into the fiction. "We're really trying to hard to make sure all the puzzles you encounter in the world feel connected," he said. "Sometimes Professor Layton has a disconnect between the puzzles and the world. We're trying to close that gap as much as possible."
    With that, this game has just moved into instant preorder for me.
  • edited May 2010
    I do not get the two stances "from what we have seen so far, it is a rip off" and "from what we have seen so far, it is clearly not a rip off".
    We have seen practically nothing so far.
  • edited May 2010
    And taumel, I'll just quote myself from another thread for you.

Thanks for this information, then they are already aware of it. I think there is a great difference in throwing some puzzles at an audience or integrating the right puzzles nicely into the story (or making the story/situation breed the riddles). The later involves much more work but also is the more pleasing product. If you design this correctly you'll end up with an adventure, otherwise it's a puzzle pack with some mostly annoying click away dialogues.
  • edited May 2010
    I do not get the two stances "from what we have seen so far, it is a rip off" and "from what we have seen so far, it is clearly not a rip off".
    We have seen practically nothing so far.

well, we have seen screenshots and the developer feature...
  • edited May 2010
    Having puzzles that are separate from the gameplay world doesn't mean that it's a rip-off of Layton. Let's wait and see how the game really plays to determine how much of Layton the game is mimicking.
  • edited May 2010
    well, we have seen screenshots and the developer feature...

Yup. Definitely not enough really. We definitely don't know enough to rule out the possibility it will just be a rip off, or the possibility that it won't be.
  • edited May 2010
    Yup. Definitely not enough really. We definitely don't know enough to rule out the possibility it will just be a rip off, or the possibility that it won't be.

Well, the puzzle screen is identical to Layton.
  • edited May 2010
    Well, the puzzle screen is identical to Layton.

No it's not: There aren't two screens.
  • edited May 2010
    No it's not: There aren't two screens.

The top screen is just the description of the puzzle.

The actual puzzle bit is identical in layout and word choice.

It's a ripoff. It can still be awesome, in fact I think it will be, but it's inspiration is obvious.

It's like saying the Classic Controller Pro isn't a PS3 controller because it has Wii written on it and the home icon is blue.
  • edited May 2010
    I'm not convinced it is a rip off. Yes, the inspiration is Layton, they've admitted as much.

The way I see it is that someone had to make the first racing game, now there's hundreds. That doesn't mean they're all the same and ripping off from one another. I think it's the same with Puzzle Agent.
  • edited May 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    I'm not convinced it is a rip off. Yes, the inspiration is Layton, they've admitted as much.

The way I see it is that someone had to make the first racing game, now there's hundreds. That doesn't mean they're all the same and ripping off from one another. I think it's the same with Puzzle Agent.

There's a difference between having a similar style of gameplay and having exactly the same. The HUD in the two games is the same. The art style is different, but that's it so far.

Puzzle Agent is claiming it's going to have puzzles integrated into the story. I doubt that it can be done with 50 puzzles. Layton had a fair number of puzzles integrated into the story, it was only really the bonus puzzles or puzzles given to you by people on the street that were random. There were a lot of plot related puzzles, Puzzle Agent's shining feature has already been done by Layton.

You guys can defend it all you want, but it's obiously a rip off. It could still be freaking awesome though. Which was why I bought it an hour after it was announced.
  • edited May 2010
    There's a difference between having a similar style of gameplay and having exactly the same. The HUD in the two games is the same. The art style is different, but that's it so far.

It's like saying everything is a rip-off of Shakespeare, when Shakespeare got all his stories from somewhere else.

A Rip-Off will be if they imitate everything from the source. They just have a similar Gameplay, and that it, far we know. That doesn't make them a Rip-Off just because they decided to use 1 thing from the game. Why they cannot?
  • edited May 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    It's like saying everything is a rip-off of Shakespeare, when Shakespeare got all his stories from somewhere else.

A Rip-Off will be if they imitate everything from the source. They just have a similar Gameplay, and that it, far we know. That doesn't make them a Rip-Off just because they decided to use 1 thing from the game. Why they cannot?

I think we need to see more before we make a decision if it's a ripoff. But for what we've seen, it's freakishly similar.

Gameplay is the same, the puzzle screen is identical and it has the same hint system. It has different music and graphics though, but that's all we've seen.

I assummed the Puzzle Agent page would have been updated by now. No-one's gonna buy it if they know nothing about it. There's been like 10 screenshots and a developer interview, that's hardly the way to create hype.
  • edited May 2010
    I think we need to see more before we make a decision if it's a ripoff. But for what we've seen, it's freakishly similar.

Gameplay is the same, the puzzle screen is identical and it has the same hint system. It has different music and graphics though, but that's all we've seen.

You're saying is too soon for calling it a Ripoff, so, not do it until is released!
  • edited May 2010
    I'll post judgement when it's out, but for now, it's a ripoff until I see otherwise.
  • edited May 2010
    Since when does using the same mechanics as another game make something a "ripoff"? If it used the same mechanics, same storyline, same art style, same everything, that would be a ripoff. If you want to go down that road, every game Telltale has ever made is a "ripoff", since they didn't invent point and click. Actually, pretty much 90% of all games ever made are ripoffs by those standards.
  • edited June 2010
    From what is known yet i don't have the feeling that it will be a ripoff, not unless you want to call the majority of the video games beeing ripoffs.
  • edited June 2010
    Tor wrote: »
    Exactly. Remember back when the first FPS games were coming out, and everybody called them "Doom clones"? (Related graphic)

I must say, I am struck by the clarity by which this this post single-handedly destroys Fury's argument.
  • edited June 2010
    50 puzzles, eh?

Hmm... I suppose I can try the game out. I'll at least have to play the demo.
  • edited June 2010
    Maratanos wrote: »
    I must say, I am struck by the clarity by which this this post single-handedly destroys Fury's argument.

The thing is though, Doom was a radical reimagining of how video games worked, and created a new genre. However, the first few games were ripoffs of this formula.

The puzzle genre already exists, Layton didn't really do anything new. It was pretty much a point and click adventure game, but all the puzzles were well.. puzzles.

Although you can say ripping off a game is creating a new genre, in the majority of cases it's wrong. Luxor is a Zuma ripoff, although technically you could call Zuma a genre now, so it's not a ripoff. It's just getting silly.

It is ripping off most of Layton. There's no denying it, even the developers cited Layton as their source of inspiration.

As a huge Layton fan however, I'm really looking forward to this game.
  • edited June 2010
    That's all nice and well, but you should keep in mind that "ripoff" is not a neutral term. It's a very derogatory qualifier implying inferior quality and a complete lack of originality. We would hardly be having this discussion if you would use a more neutral word like "clone" instead.
  • edited June 2010
    That's all nice and well, but you should keep in mind that "ripoff" is not a neutral term. It's a very derogatory qualifier implying inferior quality and a complete lack of originality. We would hardly be having this discussion if you would use a more neutral word like "clone" instead.

Still means the same thing. If you had actually read my posts and not just gone "Ooo he said ripoff, he's such a troll" like a bunch of idiots, we'd never have this problem, now would we.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.