Over 50 puzzles?!

Comments

• edited June 2010
    It's curious, because you're saying the same things as me in terms of "we have no information yet", but come at that from the point of "it's a ripoff until proven otherwise".
  • edited June 2010
    It's curious, because you're saying the same things as me in terms of "we have no information yet", but come at that from the point of "it's a ripoff until proven otherwise".

Only because of a few things:

- Same gameplay (A puzzle was shown on gamespot)
    - Same Hint System (Chewing Gum, 3 Per Puzzle = Hint Coins From Layton)
    - Same Puzzle Screen Layout (Buttons in exactly the same positions as Layton)

The only original things I've seen is the art design, everything else I've seen is from Layton. So although I haven't seen much, what I have seen I've already seen in Layton.
  • edited June 2010
    Fury wrote: »
    Still means the same thing. If you had actually read my posts and not just gone "Ooo he said ripoff, he's such a troll" like a bunch of idiots, we'd never have this problem, now would we.
    No it doesn't. Using a word like ripoff implies harsh disapproval. You're getting people riled up because your use of the word ripoff suggests you're saying it sucks before even seeing it finished yet. It's true that the rest of your post shows you don't mean it like that, but that kind of thing gets into people's minds (also harsher and more negative stuff gets remembered better, especially on the internet).
  • edited June 2010

The only original things I've seen is the art design, everything else I've seen is from Layton. So although I haven't seen much, what I have seen I've already seen in Layton.

Every modern MMO is an "Asheron's Call 2 ripoff" then, including World of Warcraft, since they all use the same basic screen layout, game mechanics, and quest systems.

Every real-time strategy game is a "Dune 2 ripoff" because they all use a similar control style and gameplay style.

Every point and click adventure game is a "Deja vu ripoff" because they use the same gameplay and a similar interface.

Using a tried and true interface, gameplay mechanic, or the like does not make a game a ripoff. It would be a ripoff if it were called "Professor Clayton: The Furious Pillage" and the entire storyline and character designs were derivative in every way. The mechanics of a game have nothing to do with the game being a "ripoff" or not, they're just mechanics. Sure, it's cool when a game comes out that makes its own rules, but those are few and far between.
  • edited June 2010
    I prefer the term "loving tribute".
  • edited June 2010
    Exactly, it's an homage! Fury, you just don't get it.
  • edited June 2010
    Fury is right and you people are crazy. It's clearly a clone of Professor Layton. The Layton games aren't perfect so there's a lot of room for Puzzle Agent to improve on it, but I'd personally probably use the word knock-off.

Layton didn't revolutionize gaming, but it did come up with a so-far unique combination of elements, and Puzzle Agent seems to be replicating all of them. It's not a point and click adventure, it's not even a variation of a point and click adventure, it's a riddle game with a frame story. Puzzle Agent may prove to be less similar than it seems, but all the evidence so far suggests a very straightforward clone.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah!

And Warcraft 1 was out before Dune 2.

It's like saying Word Coach isn't a ripoff of Brain Training, even though they're both exactly the same and both give you a brain age. But you could classify them both as "Brain Training Genre" and suddenly it's not a ripoff. But it still is.

Your loyalty to TellTale is blinding you to the fact it's a ripoff. It should still be awesome, but they're 90% identical.
  • edited June 2010
    And Warcraft 1 was out before Dune 2.

No, it wasn't. Dune 2 was out a full 2 years before Warcraft 1.
    It's like saying Word Coach isn't a ripoff of Brain Training, even though they're both exactly the same and both give you a brain age. But you could classify them both as "Brain Training Genre" and suddenly it's not a ripoff. But it still is.

Your loyalty to TellTale is blinding you to the fact it's a ripoff. It should still be awesome, but they're 90% identical.

Storyline and art style are the key differences. Saying it's a ripoff for using similar/the same gameplay style is like saying Davinci's paintings were ripoffs because he didn't invent painting. Games aren't about the interface you're using or the mechanics behind the gameplay, they're about the game design and the art style. These things are vastly separate from each other.
  • edited June 2010
    Sorry Ive never played Professor Layton so can someone tell me why puzzle agent keeps getting compared to it.
  • edited June 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    Sorry Ive never played Professor Layton so can someone tell me why puzzle agent keeps getting compared to it.

Art style doesn't mean a game isn't a ripoff. When it comes to gameplay, this game is 100% unoriginal, and it's a ripoff. Sure, it has a different atmosphere but come on, you'd have to be blind to not see how small these differences are.
  • edited June 2010
    Art style doesn't mean a game isn't a ripoff. When it comes to gameplay, this game is 100% unoriginal, and it's a ripoff. Sure, it has a different atmosphere but come on, you'd have to be blind to not see how small these differences are.

Where did you see the Puzzle screen layout for Puzzle Agent?
  • edited June 2010

Art style, story, and atmosphere is the only difference between Simon the Sorcerer and Monkey Island, does that make Simon the Sorcerer a ripoff of Monkey Island?
  • edited June 2010
    Depends if it has exactly the same screen layout...
  • edited June 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    Where did you see the Puzzle screen layout for Puzzle Agent?

He said a puzzle was shown on Gamespot.
  • edited June 2010
    Depends if it has exactly the same screen layout...

simon-sorcerer.png

1224598-sts2_super.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    They're pretty darn similar.

http://au.gamespot.com/wii/puzzle/puzzleagent/images/0/9/

http://au.gamespot.com/ds/puzzle/laytonkyoujunofushiginamachi/images/0/13/?tag=thumbs_below%3Bthumb%3B3

There are some very small differences. The "What" button on Puzzle Agent just gives you the description which is on the top screen in Layton, so it's a necessary extra. The clear button isn't present in all puzzles, but it lets you draw on the screen. I imagine Puzzle Agent will have that feature in later puzzles, as you need to draw somewhere. But Agent has shown only one puzzle so far, and it looks the same as Layton.
  • edited June 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    simon-sorcerer.png

1224598-sts2_super.jpg

Is it Scumm?

It's a ripoff if it isn't Scumm. Sure, different game, but it's ripping off the layout of Monkey Island.
  • edited June 2010
    But Agent has shown only one puzzle so far, and it looks the same as Layton.

They showed another puzzle where you have to put some videos in the correct order that the people left the building in.
  • edited June 2010
    They're pretty darn similar.

http://au.gamespot.com/wii/puzzle/puzzleagent/images/0/9/

http://au.gamespot.com/ds/puzzle/laytonkyoujunofushiginamachi/images/0/13/?tag=thumbs_below%3Bthumb%3B3

There are some very small differences. The "What" button on Puzzle Agent just gives you the description which is on the top screen in Layton, so it's a necessary extra. The clear button isn't present in all puzzles, but it lets you draw on the screen. I imagine Puzzle Agent will have that feature in later puzzles, as you need to draw somewhere. But Agent has shown only one puzzle so far, and it looks the same as Layton.

SO, are you in australia then...?
  • edited June 2010
    They showed another puzzle where you have to put some videos in the correct order that the people left the building in.

Do you know where I can find it, I looked on gamespot and all i can find is the cutscene video
  • edited June 2010
    Saying it's a ripoff for using similar/the same gameplay style is like saying Davinci's paintings were ripoffs because he didn't invent painting.

The second person who ever painted something was ripping off the first person who ever painted something. It's not inherently a bad thing
  • edited June 2010
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    The second person who ever painted something was ripping off the first person who ever painted something. It's not inherently a bad thing

I quoted Twewy earlier and I'll quote again. It's a Shin Megami Tensei ripoff. That being said, it's the second best DS game (behind Shin Megami Tensei DS).

Ripoffs can be awesome. There's no point denying they're ripoffs though, it's just silly.
  • edited June 2010
    I quoted Twewy earlier and I'll quote again. It's a Shin Megami Tensei ripoff. That being said, it's the second best DS game (behind Shin Megami Tensei DS).

Ripoffs can be awesome. There's no point denying they're ripoffs though, it's just silly.

Main Entry: rip–off
    Pronunciation: \ˈrip-ˌȯf\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1969

1 : an act or instance of stealing : theft; also : a financial exploitation
    2 : a usually cheap exploitive imitation

No, it isn't a ripoff.
  • edited June 2010
    Main Entry: rip–off
    Pronunciation: \ˈrip-ˌȯf\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1969

1 : an act or instance of stealing : theft; also : a financial exploitation
    2 : a usually cheap exploitive imitation

No, it isn't a ripoff.

Someone's getting petty. Having to resort to definitions because you know how flawed your argument is.

I'm guessing you'll start posting random pictures from the internet that somehow make you right?
  • edited June 2010
    Someone's getting petty. Having to resort to definitions because you know how flawed your argument is.

I'm guessing you'll start posting random pictures from the internet that somehow make you right?

My argument is flawed? You're using words that you don't understand the meaning of, and claiming they apply 100%.
  • edited June 2010
    My argument is flawed? You're using words that you don't understand the meaning of, and claiming they apply 100%.

Go eat your Goblins, Pale Man. Like you do every day.
  • edited June 2010
    Go eat your Goblins, Pale Man. Like you do every day.

I eat trolls, not goblins.
  • edited June 2010
    I eat trolls, not goblins.

You wish they were trolls.

Goblin Muncher
  • edited June 2010

This is the sign of someone desperate. Trying to sound right in the face of facts.
  • edited June 2010
    This is the sign of someone desperate. Trying to sound right in the face of facts.

Lets wait til official reviews come out. I'm sure a number of them will have the same thing to say.
  • edited June 2010
    Lets wait til official reviews come out. I'm sure a number of them will have the same thing to say.

Yeah, because video game journalists are the beacon of truth and credibility. :rolleyes:
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, because video game journalists are the beacon of truth and credibility. :rolleyes:

Certainly better than a single minded forum member...
  • edited June 2010
    Certainly better than a single minded forum member...

Especially one intent on calling something a ripoff when it most certainly is not.
  • edited June 2010
    Especially one intent on calling something a ripoff when it most certainly is not.

Uh huh. Whatever.

99% of people who have played Layton (have you?!?) will agree that the games are freakishly similar in design.

At the moment, only TellTale loyalists are on this forum and gamespot etc because the game hasn't been marketed. Once the game is out and reviews are posted, you'll hear a broader opinion. And I'll take a huge bet most other people will be like "Duh it's layton durrr".
  • edited June 2010

-Different Story

I'm sorry, but given that Telltale is, first and foremost, a company that makes games that tell stories, it seems to me like you are being very naive if you completely fail to take into consideration the very thing that defines Telltale as a company.
  • edited June 2010
    As long as the two games belong to the same genre (puzzle games), and they have very different stories (I suppose), I won't say that Puzzle Agent is a ripoff of Professor Layton (even if they have the same -or very similar- gameplay, hint system or screen layout).
    Unless they have exactly the same puzzles (which I hope not).
  • edited June 2010
    Ahhh, Simon the Sorcerer 1 was a funny one.
  • edited June 2010
    99% of people who have played Layton (have you?!?) will agree that the games are freakishly similar in design.

Oh, calm down. Just be thankful we can get our puzzle fix before Unwound Future comes out. Alright? Nothing's gonna come out if you keep trying to be right. Let's just be happy that we can get some story and puzzles for the meantime.
  • edited June 2010
    Oh, calm down. Just be thankful we can get our puzzle fix before Unwound Future comes out. Alright? Nothing's gonna come out if you keep trying to be right. Let's just be happy that we can get some story and puzzles for the meantime.

I am well pleased about Puzzle Agent. I think it looks awesome.

What's Unwound Future? I can't find it on Gamespot. Are you talking about Layton and the Last Time Traveller? Or those Japan Only Puzzle games Level 5 made? There's Layton, and then they made another series of games called like "Puzzle Journey" I think. Or maybe it was just "Someone's Brain Puzzles". I dunno. It was just layton but you solved problems relating to a storybook or something.

I hope Telltale hits it's June release date for this game. I'm freaking pumped!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.