First Episode 3 screenshot!

edited June 2010 in Sam & Max
snm_tdp_tsmb_noir_sam.jpg

What do you guys think?
What does this mean?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Weird. : o

Sam looks like he's gone more independant and less jolly than before. Could it be an effect of losing his little buddy?
    Meh, I stink at speculating.
  • edited June 2010
    I always knew Sam had it in him to be as manic as Max. Hopefully we'll finally get to see that come into play this episode.
  • edited June 2010
    Is this real? Because I kind of doubt it.
  • edited June 2010
    Heey, it's short pirate model from TOMI! Right?

No, wait, his nose is different. Nevermind.
  • edited June 2010
    tredlow wrote: »
    Heey, it's short pirate model from TOMI! Right?

No, wait, his nose is different. Nevermind.

I always thought it looked like the blond guy from chapter 3(who looks like the blond guy from texas hold em.)
  • edited June 2010
    Spadge wrote: »
    Is this real? Because I kind of doubt it.

it's from the site where TTG keeps all their screenshots & stuff for the press.
  • edited June 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    it's from the site where TTG keeps all their screenshots & stuff for the press.

Oh... Well, I feel a little foolish, but to be fair the TOMI pirate, the generic background and Sam's new clothes kind of threw me off.

It looks interesting. I'm curious to see more. I wonder if Sam finally gets a monkey for a partner.
  • edited June 2010
    I love it! Dirty Harry Sam!
  • edited June 2010
    it totally is too noogie with a different nose and hair color.
  • edited June 2010
    Holy crap, I was always wondering if that bad ass Sam concept art was just a throw away design, guess not, he looks awesome!
  • edited June 2010
    Holy movie references with a badass looking character who isn't normally badass! Sam is like Dirty Harry!
  • edited June 2010
    Maybe it's a Sam clone!
  • edited June 2010
    The colour around his mouth is a little different, but I don't think it looks much like shading. Is it stubble? If so I'm going to do a fan girl swoon. Over a computer game character. Who is a dog. I need help, don't I?
  • edited June 2010
    The colour around his mouth is a little different, but I don't think it looks much like shading. Is it stubble? If so I'm going to do a fan girl swoon. Over a computer game character. Who is a dog. I need help, don't I?

You are not alone.
  • edited June 2010
    sam and max cheap echelon San:(:(:( im happy but well scad bi vis
  • edited June 2010
    Who can say no to that illogical stubble? I hope Sam stays like this for most of the episode!
  • edited June 2010
    This really has me wondering how this is going to affect the gameplay of the episode. This Sam sure don't look like the type to solve puzzles using postcards and think up witty remarks about gumball machines.
  • edited June 2010
    Guys remember there is going to be sam clones sometime this could be one of them.
  • edited June 2010
    The Sam clones are meant to look retarded in a way, I doubt it.
  • edited June 2010
    I immediately thought of Flint Paper, but dirty Harry works too.
  • edited June 2010
    NickClick2 wrote: »
    I immediately thought of Flint Paper, but dirty Harry works too.

I actually thought "Indiana Jones," with those clothes.
  • edited June 2010
    this picture is very...very interesting.
    a sign of darker things to come perhaps?
  • edited June 2010
    An interesting take would be that Max doesn't appear at all in Episode 3 as he's comatose, so Sam has to team up with Flint Paper and has spent weeks searching for the people who have done this to Max, ...which is an idea I actually like the sound of a lot!
  • edited June 2010
    You have to remember Sam has the potential to go, for lack of a better term, bat-**** crazy. He just doesn't because watching Max seems to give him some sort of fulfilment.

Plus Max is his life long best friend and he's just had his brain removed. It's not too much to expect the whole thing might cause something to snap in Sam's head.
  • edited June 2010
    Maybe its Sam pretending to be Max?
  • edited June 2010
    Zonino wrote: »
    You have to remember Sam has the potential to go, for lack of a better term, bat-**** crazy. He just doesn't because watching Max seems to give him some sort of fulfilment.

Plus Max is his life long best friend and he's just had his brain removed. It's not too much to expect the whole thing might cause something to snap in Sam's head.

We're on a similar wavelength here. Sam has been separated from Max before, but never quite like this (i.e. this is pretty much the most heinous instance so far). Considering the circumstances, and just Sam and his relationship with Max in general, it's not all that surprising he'd "go hardcore" as a result.
    Wootman wrote: »
    Maybe its Sam pretending to be Max?

Naw, the comparison to Flint Paper seems more fitting. Also -- although this is just speculation -- I would imagine Noir!Sam to be very single-minded in where he directs his energy/anger, while Max is more a force of impulsive, chaotic mayhem. Sam likes mayhem too, but With a Cause (usually).
  • edited June 2010
    We're on a similar wavelength here. Sam has been separated from Max before, but never quite like this (i.e. this is pretty much the most heinous instance so far). Considering the circumstances, and just Sam and his relationship with Max in general, it's not all that surprising he'd "go hardcore" as a result.
    Yeah, remember how depressed he was when they were separated in Culture Shock and What's New, Beelzebub? And that was just with Max being kidnapped/separated from him. I could easily see him going completely insane with Max dead (or essentially dead).
  • edited June 2010
    So that's what happened to Noogie...

I agree with everyone else that Sam definitely doesn't lool like he's in the mood for witty banter and inventory puzzles. I think it'd be pretty cool if this episode had a hard boiled detective/film noir feel to it, especially combined with the pseudo-Lovecraft themes that have been popping up so far.
  • edited June 2010
    lombre wrote: »
    Yeah, remember how depressed he was when they were separated in Culture Shock and What's New, Beelzebub? And that was just with Max being kidnapped/separated from him. I could easily see him going completely insane with Max dead (or essentially dead).

Max was dead once. In Bay Day on the Moon. For, like, a page. I'm totally sure he can go bat-*Bleep* crazy in the moment he knows who did it. Then I'm going to need my camera =P
  • MRNMRN
    edited June 2010
    I just hope we get to see Sam shooting someone in the face
  • edited June 2010
    The way I sorta imagin it is Sam going depressed about it (much like in Bad Day on the Moon) but it soon turns into anger and the bad ass Sam emergess from the ashes! ... Hm that'd make a neat movie poster.
  • edited June 2010
    Sam & Max: Conviction.

Following Sam's stint as a Freelance Police duo, the canine shamus returns out of hiding having learned that his best friend's brain stealing was no accident. Betrayed by the commisioner he gave his life to, Sam now finds himself on a mission to uncover the true nature of his friend's brain theft. He must now stand by his convictions as his investigation leads him to the discovery of a greater conspiracy.
  • edited June 2010
    Maybe the third episode happens some time after the end of the second. In previous moments where Sam and Max has been separated, they have pretty much reunited on the same episode and also a short perioid of time.

My guess is that episode 3 will start some days or even weeks after the disappearance of Max's Brain, so the time without his dear crazy violence-lover best little buddy has leaved him with an empty void which only Max's chaotic shenanigans used to fill. So now it's Hardcore Sam time!

I still hope we'll see Max in the episode in some way. After all, the main gameplay mechanic of the season is Max's Psychic Powers, so an episode without 'em would feel weird (also I wanna see more new toys!)
  • edited June 2010
    I still hope we'll see Max in the episode in some way. After all, the main gameplay mechanic of the season is Max's Psychic Powers, so an episode without 'em would feel weird (also I wanna see more new toys!)

If I read the Private Forum Thread correctly, don't worry, you will.
  • edited June 2010
    Looks like a flint paper hardcore bada** COP! :D

Also thats one hell of a rain catch on that cap, that the dude is wearing lol.
  • edited June 2010
    Looks like Sam has just pulled us a Sam Fisher of 'SC: Double Agent' or a 'Max Payne 3'.

Only, you know, good.
  • edited June 2010
    Honestly.... now I am more excited then ever. What's been great about devil's playhouse is the variety so far. Started with a normal episode but with powers then 100 years in the past and now bad ass sam. So many ways they can take this episode, hell the entire season.

Wait a moment, he has a slight beard. This suggests it might be a week or a month later.
  • edited June 2010
    SillyStell wrote: »
    The way I sorta imagin it is Sam going depressed about it (much like in Bad Day on the Moon) but it soon turns into anger and the bad ass Sam emergess from the ashes! ... Hm that'd make a neat movie poster.

Yes! YES! VERY YES!!! DO IT!!! SOMEONE!!! PLEASE!!!
    Heck, I might do it!
  • edited June 2010
    Another thing: Remember what happened the moment
    Hugh Bliss threatens to kill Max
    in Bright Side of the Moon? One of the only times Sam's done talking and whips out a gun on a perp with the immediate intent -- and attempt -- to plug him a few.
  • edited June 2010
    So that's what happened to Noogie...

I agree with everyone else that Sam definitely doesn't lool like he's in the mood for witty banter and inventory puzzles. I think it'd be pretty cool if this episode had a hard boiled detective/film noir feel to it, especially combined with the pseudo-Lovecraft themes that have been popping up so far.

Discworld Noir, but with Sam & Max...
    Sounds great :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.