Midwest Setting

I was just wondering how familiar non-Usonian (I didn't say Americans, are you happy Ginny? :p) types are with the setting of Puzzle Agent? For example, how many of you have seen the Coen brothers films? What do you think of when you hear the term "Midwest"? Do you think of a place in the States? Do you know where the Midwest is? I'm just curious to hear a "foreign" take on the setting, and the images it conjures up.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I am from the upper west side of Wisconsin... short drive from Minnesota where the game takes place... I think I will be pretty familiar with the setting.... I know you didn't ask me.. but I answered anyhow.
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    I was just wondering how familiar non-Usonian (I didn't say Americans, are you happy Ginny? :p)

Thanks for the interest!
    types are with the setting of Puzzle Agent? For example, how many of you have seen the Coen brothers films? What do you think of when you hear the term "Midwest"? Do you think of a place in the States? Do you know where the Midwest is? I'm just curious to hear a "foreign" take on the setting, and the images it conjures up.

Midwest no idea. But basically, it's like those standart settings of North American fiction for me. I think I may watched some of the same setting, or something awfully similar, before, especially because we watch a ton of your fiction here (Most of the movies in theaters are North American in fact!).

I know very little about USA political geography, I know San Francisco is facing the Pacific, Chile has the same hour as New York and Texas has a funny shape (AND a very similar flag compared to the Chilean Flag) but, sadly, appart of New York, any other City in USA is in USA (No specific state or place in the Map) so I can't really tell which state or place is the setting. In fact, I think is in the North of USA because I know the Northest the place is there, the colder will be, but nothing else.

But that's me. Probably a Mexican or a Canadian will be a bit more familiar than me.
  • edited June 2010
    Right now, I'm just thinking it's probably similar to the Prairies.
    I guess before going to Canada, I would have just thought it was similar to "Province", which is the name us snobby Parisians have for every part of France that isn't Paris or its suburbs :p
  • edited June 2010
    You can read up on it if you are interested..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota

286px-Map_of_USA_MN.svg.png
  • edited June 2010
    Irishmile, I'm thinking it might be a good idea for you to stick around just to so we have an expert on hand.

Okay, so ... no clue about Minnesota. Actually very few US shows are really set in the Midwest, only one that I could think of is Smallville and that's actually filmed in Vancouver which is next to nothing like Kansas. Minnesota isn't so much like the prairies as it's a cross between Ontario and Alberta. It has more snow than Alberta and hotter summers, but the northern half of Minnesota is also farther north than Toronto. It's in the "heartland" of America, traditionally farming communities with a recent history of dwindling populations as younger people move out seeking work in the more populous states.
  • edited June 2010
    Whether it needs to be mid-west specifically I don't know.

Scoggins seems to have more of the same vibe I get from Fargo, Twin Peaks, Northern Exposure etc, even though Peaks was Washington state and NE is Alaska; Imposing forests, harsh weather, small tight knit communities, quirky characters possibly hiding dark secrets and something ominous lurking under the surface.

I think the game setting translates perfectly well outside the USA.
  • edited June 2010
    It has more snow than Alberta and hotter summers

More than six months of snow while still having hotter summers? You've got to be kidding me, I'm never going there.
  • edited June 2010
    When I think of Midwest settings, I think of Steven King novels. Sure, it's probably wrong, but well.. As a foreigner it's the first thing that springs in my mind. The second thing is Mike Nelson, but I'm probably the only MST3K fan in Eastern Europe. That's all I can think of the Midwest, but who can blame me... It's full of emo vampires, slasher killers, zombie outbreaks, and... umm... corn?
  • edited June 2010
    When they say nothing ever happens in the Midwest I can vouch for that. It's the most boring place on the earth. The Coen Brothers glamourize. Actually, what Coen Brothers movie is set in the Midwest? No Country For Old Men was it wasn't it?
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    More than six months of snow while still having hotter summers? You've got to be kidding me, I'm never going there.

It snows here from at least October-November and doesn't stop until March-April, and it frequently can get into 100-110 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer, although 90-100 is far more common for summer months.

So yeah, it's not so fun.
  • edited June 2010
    (90°F is 32°C and 100°F is 37°C)
    My first year in Alberta, it started snowing in September, and when I left in the last days of May there was still snow everywhere.
    At least while it's snowy it's not that hot? Although the shift can be brutal, so it being super hot doesn't mean that there isn't still snow everywhere that hasn't melted yet.
    Why did people ever settle in places like that? It's insane.

Incidentally, the hottest weather I experienced was in 2003 in Paris, when it reached up to 40°C and was over 35°C most of the summer. It wasn't that bad though, for some reason. Alberta is much less hot and yet much worse, I think it's because it's so dry. And there is much less shade since it's so empty, you're pretty much always in the sun.

I'd be interested in knowing what region is called "Midwest" exactly, could someone put up a map? Because Minnesota looks more East than West to me.
  • edited June 2010
    Dry heat is nothing, we have wet heat. Wet heat just makes you feel disgustingly gross. We have a huge amount of humidity at all times, and I can definitely tell you that dry heat is far more bearable than wet.

Also: I have no clue why it is called the Midwest, but it is.

300px-Map_of_USA_Midwest.svg.png

I should also point out that I live near the lower left hand side of Wisconsin, and the weather is likely much snowier further north.
  • edited June 2010
    When they say nothing ever happens in the Midwest I can vouch for that. It's the most boring place on the earth. The Coen Brothers glamourize. Actually, what Coen Brothers movie is set in the Midwest? No Country For Old Men was it wasn't it?

There's "Fargo" and "A Serious Man" which were set in, well, Fargo, North Dakota and a Minneapolis suburb, respectively. And Stephen King is from New England, which is like the Midwest, I guess, only it has access to the ocean. So ... lobsters and crab rather than trout. And the emo vampires are in Washington state which is also on the ocean, only the Pacific which is on the other side of the country.

This wiki article should give a pretty good idea of where the Midwest is.
  • edited June 2010
    I'd be interested in knowing what region is called "Midwest" exactly, could someone put up a map? Because Minnesota looks more East than West to me.

I think it's pretty amorphous. Given the way U.S. history unfolded, the Mississippi River, rather than some arbitrary halfway point, is often regarded as the dividing line between east and west in the U.S. So geographically, the half (or so) of the west that is closest to the Mississippi is the Midwest, in contrast to the far west. Of course, the source of the Mississippi is in Minnesota, so that's not a definitive answer. Culturally or socioeconomically, the term Midwest can refer to that part of the U.S. that is grain-farming-intensive, an area that mostly coincides with the geographical explanation.

Oh, and just to obfuscate things even more, the term Midwest can itself be refined further, as in "Upper Midwest", which tends to refer to Minnesota and/or the Dakotas, etc. :)
  • edited June 2010
    The game's setting is a pretty generic wintery small town, so I don't think it really matters if you know about midwest or not. I've known where midwest roughly is for a long time, but I didn't know it extends that far up to the east. I always thought it as west from the great lakes.

I have no trouble relating to the setting, either since I come from a Nordic country. :)
  • edited June 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Dry heat is nothing, we have wet heat. Wet heat just makes you feel disgustingly gross.

Well, when I was in Guadeloupe, it was very much wet heat, and I liked it better. You need to sweat less and to drink less, and sure you're all sticky but that's always the case when it's hot, difference is here it comes from the outside instead of the inside.
    I thinks with fans and stuff I'll take dry heat, but as it is I'll take wet heat. If I'm making sense.
    I usually wear wet clothes in summer. Like, I wash them but don't dry them, put them on and leave. That cools me down a little bit. For the first few minutes haha.
  • edited June 2010
    The more humid it is, the hotter it feels at similar temperatures. You're the first person I know that prefers wet heat over dry.

You aren't required to sweat any less, the problem is that sweating doesn't work as well as in dry heat so the body can't cool down that easily.
  • edited June 2010
    Well, when I was in Guadeloupe, it was very much wet heat, and I liked it better. You need to sweat less and to drink less, and sure you're all sticky but that's always the case when it's hot, difference is here it comes from the outside instead of the inside.
    I thinks with fans and stuff I'll take dry heat, but as it is I'll take wet heat. If I'm making sense.
    I usually wear wet clothes in summer. Like, I wash them but don't dry them, put them on and leave. That cools me down a little bit. For the first few minutes haha.

When there's low humidity, I can barely even tell that it's hot. When there is high humidity (which there almost always is in the summer here), I can barely even move without sweating profusely, and I just generally don't feel like doing anything but dying of exhaustion.
  • edited June 2010
    Maybe I've never experienced real wet heat then. I know I dislike the Prairies' dry heat, I drink a minimum of two gallons of water a day just to get by, and that doesn't even include other drinks (typically tea).
    It's a pain.

I liked Paris. Rarely went down to freezing temperature in Winter, rarely was incredibly hot in summer and always had shade everywhere, as well as places to cool down, be it by entering a store or a bar or a pool.
    Oh, and you don't need to carry a sweater with you in summer in case you need to enter a mall. Seriously, in North America (where I've been in North America, I should say), I keep a sweater with me because the malls are kept so cold that I get sick otherwise.

If the winter is too cold for humans and the summer is too hot, and they both last a while, is there any time at all to visit?
  • edited June 2010
    I'm from Nebraska, but I've always lived in Lincoln, which has a population of 250,000 or so. I realize that probably sounds awfully small to some of you big city folks, but it's nothing like the small towns depicted in movies.

So, erm... Yeah, I don't actually have much to contribute...
  • edited June 2010
    Maybe I've never experienced real wet heat then. I know I dislike the Prairies' dry heat, I drink a minimum of two gallons of water a day just to get by, and that doesn't even include other drinks (typically tea).
    It's a pain.

I liked Paris. Rarely went down to freezing temperature in Winter, rarely was incredibly hot in summer and always had shade everywhere, as well as places to cool down, be it by entering a store or a bar or a pool.
    Oh, and you don't need to carry a sweater with you in summer in case you need to enter a mall. Seriously, in North America (where I've been in North America, I should say), I keep a sweater with me because the malls are kept so cold that I get sick otherwise.

If the winter is too cold for humans and the summer is too hot, and they both last a while, is there any time at all to visit?

We have 80% humidity or more very often, even up to 100% sometimes. It's horrible.

Around April-May or September-October is usually the only time of the year where the weather isn't totally horrible in some way, but it fluctuates very wildly. We've had the snow melt and a couple weeks of nice weather, followed by 20 inches of snow in two days. The weather here typically makes no sense and is generally pretty bad.
  • edited June 2010
    We have 80% humidity or more very often, even up to 100% sometimes. It's horrible.

Hmm... I'm going to assume it's a ratio of some sort? 100% humidity sounds like you're in water :D Does that mean that they air is saturated and couldn't get any more humid?
    The weather here typically makes no sense and is generally pretty bad.

I hear you. In my husband's hometown, the people say "don't like the weather? Wait for five minute."
  • edited June 2010
    Hmm... I'm going to assume it's a ratio of some sort? 100% humidity sounds like you're in water :D Does that mean that they air is saturated and couldn't get any more humid?

Something like that, I don't know the specifics of it, just that when the number is that high, I feel like crap when I go outside. :p
  • edited June 2010
    Something like that, I don't know the specifics of it, just that when the number is that high, I feel like crap when I go outside. :p

The only two theories I have is that:
    a) it's 100% of the maximum allowed by the laws of physics
    b) it's a 1:1 ratio with something. Like, one part air and one part water. But this one doesn't sound very... scientific. Air itself is already made from a bunch of stuff, it's not just one thing, after all.

I'm curious now, anyone known the answer?
  • edited June 2010
    I'd say, look up wikipedia, because it's complicated. But basically, the air can only hold some much water vapor before it'll have to drop it as rain or dew or fog. Apparently the hotter it is, the more water the air can hold, so when it's hot and humid it is way more unbearable. Also water transfers heat more efficiently than "air" does, so humid days make you feel the heat far more than non-humid days, as well as making sweating impossible.

I remember one day when I was a little girl the weather was so hot and humid that I was let outside the house for only a few minutes. I looked across the street at this big tree that was about fifty feet/15 meters away, and it seemed to be waving in the heat like a hula dancer. Beyond that it was literally too indistinct for me to make anything out, and I was exhausted when I got back into the house. That day had 100% humidity and it was over 120F/40C.

From what I've heard the Midwest isn't that bad, but they've got mosquitoes the size of VW bugs. Okay, maybe not that bad, but you do not stay out at dusk unless you want to be eaten alive.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm curious now, anyone known the answer?
    Wikipedia describes it like this:
    Relative humidity is defined as the ratio of the partial pressure of water vapor in a parcel of air to the saturated vapor pressure of water vapor at a prescribed temperature.
    That doesn't mean anything to me though >_>
  • edited June 2010
    The only two theories I have is that:
    a) it's 100% of the maximum allowed by the laws of physics

That's correct. When the humidity exceeds 100% you get dew or rain, or variants thereof, depending on altitude and temperature. And this saturation point depends on temperature and pressure. It's like when you mix salt with water, you'll eventually get to a point where adding more salt just make it fall to the bottom of your pot, and that's when you've reached the saturation point, or 100% salinity in comparison to the air humidity.

EDIT: Beaten to it.
  • edited June 2010
    Thanks for all the explanations about humidity. That does sound pretty bad. What scares me the most though is Lena's mention of mosquitoes. I'm allergic to mosquitoes!
    Not too bad though, not like horseflies, one bite made me delirious despite immediate treatment by two doctors and overnight care. Ugh. Mosquito bites just swell to the size of a ping pong ball, or depending on the type of mosquito, tennis ball. Still pretty annoying.
    What makes it worse is that they always go for me! Seriously, I've had people just walk along with me and not get a single bite when I got dozens. Maybe my blood tastes different or something.

In the US, I've only been to New York and Florida, although I'm hoping to make it to Pax... Still not allowed to leave the country but at this point I'm half tempted to do it anyways >_<
    In Canada I've been to several places in Quebec and Ontario, as well as the Prairies and BC, so I guess I've got a more varied experience with that.

Apart from the weather though, what are other interesting stuff about Minnesota? I mean, there has to be something, right?
  • edited June 2010
    Um, the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St Paul are supposed to have a really vibrant music and art scene. For example Prince is from Minneapolis. The Guthrie theater is one of the best known centers of live theater outside of Broadway, and has a history of performing avant garde productions as well as the classics. 3M is from there, I think?

Okay, I don't know too much about it, we just had some family friends who came from a small town in Minnesota. The Catholics all drove Dodges since the Dodge dealer was a Catholic, and the Lutherans all drove Fords 'cause ditto. Half the town was named Petersen, and they would crumble potato chips onto the tops of their casseroles.
  • edited June 2010
    Well, since everything I know about Minnesota comes straight out of Wapsi Square I'm going to guess all the trouble in Scoggins is caused by an Aztec calendar machine, a few golem girls, a sphinx and a few demons... :p
  • edited June 2010
    To be fair, if wasn't because they already said Minnesota, I would say Alaska
  • edited June 2010
    Pale Man's map is correct. I live in Ohio and we're considered Midwest. In fact, all of the states formed from the old Northwest Territory (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota) are considered Midwestern states.

As far as weather goes, those high on the Canadian border like Minnesota and Wisconsin can get a severe amount of snow. However, slightly more southern states like Indiana and my own Ohio tend to be a bit more mild yet can still run the gamut of weather types. Amusingly enough, tying the humidity discussion, I got a firsthand example of how weather here can change quickly in action yesterday at work. The oft-maligned summer humidity was so high that a high-power storm built up practically out of nowhere and knocked out the power at my place of employment. It was out for so long, the sent us home early. I did note the distinct irony of having no lights on the longest day of the year. The storm was so compact, though, that my home, 20 minutes away from my work, was unaffected by the power outages.
  • edited June 2010
    The only time I've been to the Midwest was when I was looking at colleges and thought I might want to go to Notre Dame. I showed up, it was freakishly cold, and then I decided I wanted to go to college somewhere in California.:D
  • edited June 2010
    Wimp! :p (Although when I first moved to the Bay Area I thought the cold was going to kill me. Talking about humidity, northern California gets so dry in Winter my hands bleed if I don't apply moisturizer every hour or so.)

Seriously though, any Midwesterners want to point out some good points about the Midwest? I've heard you guys have lakes, some even call them great?
  • edited June 2010
    Wimp! :p (Although when I first moved to the Bay Area I thought the cold was going to kill me. Talking about humidity, northern California gets so dry in Winter my hands bleed if I don't apply moisturizer every hour or so.)

Seriously though, any Midwesterners want to point out some good points about the Midwest? I've heard you guys have lakes, some even call them great?

They're not that great.

Umm... we have cheese curds?
  • edited June 2010
    Seriously though, any Midwesterners want to point out some good points about the Midwest?

Me. What more do you need? :D
  • edited June 2010
    Prince.

Woo!
  • edited June 2010
    Wisconsin if very much like where Hobbits come from .... we have rolling green hills lots of agriculture... LOTS AND LOTS of bars, Pubs, and Taverns... We have some good size cities if you want to live in a city.. Each season is very different from the next and each is rather pretty here....

and come on who doesn't love fat people... and cheese curds?
  • edited June 2010
    I think you guys are underselling your states on purpose! You don't want us to find out how great they are and how cheap the real estate is and flood your towns with vegan restaurants and cupcake bakeries! (Seriously, you can buy a house for less than 200K? A house?!)
  • edited June 2010
    Oh yes.... You can
    This house is listed in my city for $209,900
    3926296_1.jpg

here are some photos from around where I live..
    Dep-34.jpeg
    eau_claire_wi.jpg
    1CA461FC-B0F5-FEB8-F1AD-CE822BDD40EC.jpg

Mabel Tainter theater (where my sister got married)
    176340367_a1e6bab041_b.jpg
    176340363_c59fc4bb34_b.jpg

WINTER TIME

032508_SnowScene.gif
    1287212762_bb0077c491.jpg?v=0
    eau-claire-dells-spring-009.jpg
Sign in to comment in this discussion.