Midwest Setting

13»

Comments

• edited June 2010
    So why are you asking people if they know where and what the Midwest of America is like? This has nothing to do with Puzzle Agent. Anyone else agree? lol
  • edited June 2010
    So why are you asking people if they know where and what the Midwest of America is like? This has nothing to do with Puzzle Agent. Anyone else agree? lol

Well that's apparently the setting, so I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with it.
  • edited June 2010
    Maybe there will be a Coke puzzle, so the thread will be on topic. Well, OK, the trademark wrestling would be too annoying.

Coke's official history page is http://heritage.coca-cola.com/, but as it's company-sponsored, it leaves out all the most colorful parts, including cocaine, alcohol, and (worst of all) high-fructose corn syrup. Wikipedia's entry has a bit more detail.
  • edited June 2010

She probably has to write an assignment on the Midwest of America for school or something, and is trying to trick us into helping her with info by trying to make us believe it has something to do with Puzzle Agent. :rolleyes:
  • edited June 2010

I don't ... it's ... yeah.
    Bamse wrote: »
    She probably has to write an assignment on the Midwest of America for school or something, and is trying to trick us into helping her with info by trying to make us believe it has something to do with Puzzle Agent. :rolleyes:

Ah! You found me out! It's true, but can you blame me? I've been held back ten times; I'd like to graduate before I turn 30 :D
  • edited June 2010

It takes place in Minnesota... the setting in a story is pretty important... Just as important as the characters..

There are a lot of people here who come from different countries and probably do not know how different each area of the country can be..... Sam and Max is set in New York pretty much anyone gets the basic idea of what its like there... but I would be willing to bet there are plenty of people in America even who do not really know what its like in a small northern midwest city...

I think it was a very good topic....
  • edited June 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I think it was a very good topic....

What other topic could we discuss the glory of cheese curds in?
  • edited June 2010
    Cheese Curds are the best......and I am talking about the fried kind you get from the fair.... anyone from WI will know exactly what I am talking about..
  • edited June 2010
    I do think the setting is important, and it's easy to miss a lot of things if you don't know the place, because it's rarely explained. All the small things that is obvious to everyone who has actually been there, but not other people.
    Of course, it doesn't beat actually going there, but I still feel I might have a better understanding when I play Puzzle Agent, now, and that's good.
  • edited June 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Cheese Curds are the best......and I am talking about the fried kind you get from the fair.... anyone from WI will know exactly what I am talking about..

Those and the corndogs are about the only reasons to go to the fair. :D
  • edited June 2010
    Those and the corndogs are about the only reasons to go to the fair. :D

Funnel cakes.
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    And Stephen King is from New England, which is like the Midwest, I guess, only it has access to the ocean.

You have no idea how wrong you are. And I should know. I live in Connecticut, and it is nothing like the Midwest. We have snow, which most of the Midwest does not get. plus, there's a matter of politics, which I won't get into for the sake of these forumers' short term memories.
  • edited June 2010
    Funnel cakes.

I just realized I have cake in the fridge.

*Mysteriously disappears*
  • edited June 2010
    You can tell what part of the country you're in by whether Dr Pepper is bottled by Coca Cola or by Pepsi. Here in Nebraska and in a few surrounding states, Dr Pepper is bottled by Coke. In other parts of the country it's bottled by Pepsi.

Odd... Where I'm from, it's bottled by the 'Dr. Pepper 7Up Bottling Co.' if I recall correctly.

I'm in California. :p

Oh, and yes, Coca Cola originally had cocaine in it. Back when it first came out, cocaine wasn't illegal, and it was used essentially as a treatment for everything, from baldness to stomach cramps. Now they use extract from spent coca leaves. Which basically means 'the cocaine's already been taken out, nothing to see here!'

Thing is, you can't completely purge all the cocaine. So there's a very miniscule, almost undetectable trace of cocaine in Coke.

You'd have to drink a swimming pool of it to get high.
  • edited June 2010
    Yadda wrote: »
    You'd have to drink a swimming pool of it to get high.

Regular size, or Olympic size?
  • edited June 2010
    I dunno how much you'd actually need to drink - I just said swimming pool to make a point that you'd die from a distended everything and burst like an overstretched balloon before you even got close to getting close to getting close. :p
  • edited July 2010
    Beat the game! Some thoughts:

- The use of snowmobiles all the time seemed excessive at first, but Nelson needs to go to some out-of-the-way areas to fulfill his quest, and it helps establish the otherworldly nature of Scoggins in particular in a subtle way.
    - Could've used more references to Native Americans, but Annable's art style doesn't lend itself to depicting specific racial characteristics (and besides, the game is set in a Nordic town with heavy themes of Icelandic folklore), so I'm willing to give it a pass.
    - Ice fishing, however, is incredibly common! Love that there's a puzzle that takes place in an icehouse, in particular -- and that they didn't have to establish how deadly icewater can be.
    - Accents and dialect choices are spot-on. Seriously, I'm amazed at how well they nailed the Minnesotan dialect in varying degrees of subtlety. The sheriff, innkeeper, and at least one of the two bug-boxers are really good examples of this.
    - Cracked up at sightings of "hotdish" and "lutefisk". (the former is appetizing; the latter I wouldn't feed to my pets)
    - Scoggins Pioneer. Town name aside, this is literally the name of our local paper.

LOBST'S AUTHENTICITY RATING: A++ (WARRIOR OF AUTHENTICITY) (would've had a shot at a third + if they'd have put me in it (seriously telltale call me))
  • edited July 2010
    Coca-Cola did once contain an estimated nine milligrams of cocaine per glass, but in 1903 it was removed.
  • edited July 2010
    and they would crumble potato chips onto the tops of their casseroles.

Hot Dish (:

Yes, this is one of the things that said "Oh yeah, Minnesota" to me.
  • edited July 2010
    And Stephen King is from New England, which is like the Midwest, I guess, only it has access to the ocean. So ... lobsters and crab rather than trout.

As a former resident of New England I take great umbrage with that assumption, ma'am!
  • edited January 2011
    I grew up in a small town similar to scroggins in mn, have traveled to every state in the country, lived in California (over rated), Iowa, and currently live in the Twin cities in Minnesota.

Minnesota is great. We have clean air, good economy, good schools, low crime, the highest civic engagement and volunteer rates in the country. The lowest prison rate. And the most fortune 500 companies per capita in the nation.

Minneapolis is considered to have one of the most vibrant music and art scenes. And one of the best park systems in the nation.

Sure we have some problems (no place is perfect) but over all a pretty darn good place.

If you ever come to visit please don't just go to the mall of america, make a point to see more of our beautiful state.

Gotta embrace the snow, once you do you'll never want to live without it.
  • edited January 2011
    genomad wrote: »
    Sure we have some problems (no place is perfect) but over all a pretty darn good place.

Are the little red gnomes a major problem up there?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.