Midwest Setting

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »

Mabel Tainter theater (where my sister got married)
    176340363_c59fc4bb34_b.jpg

I would actually be willing to get married if it meant I got to play around in a place like that ... <3 (I'd almost be willing to move to somewhere that gets shudder snow, to volunteer at a theater like that. Almost.)
  • edited June 2010
    I still like Paris better :p but the pics are really nice.
  • edited June 2010
    Im afraid my little city couldn't compete with Paris
  • edited June 2010
    Paris is my hometown. It's part of me. Nothing can compete with it and at the same time it drives me crazy. Kinda like a family member.

Your little city looks really nice. I like theatres like this one. Actually it reminds me of amphitheatres in university in Paris... ah damn it I did it again.
    I think I need to go back there sometime and get my fix :p
  • edited June 2010
    In the 1800s the area had some of the richest men in the world living here.... in fact the city is filled with old mansions...

All these old Mansions used to be owned by lumber tycoons that particular theater was built in memory of one of these tycoon's daughter Mabel who died at the age of 19...

In fact Chicago owes alot to the area because of the famous Chicago fire in the 1800s and much of the city needed to be rebuilt.. So they bought lumber from here and they floated it all down the Mississippi river.... They built us we built them... interesting huh?

On a related note laura ingalls wilder lived about an hour away... she wrote the book little house on the prairie decades before the lumber boom and some time after the fur trade....

OK I like history stuff.. I will stop talking im sure I lost most of you.
  • edited June 2010
    OK one last thing I could have mentioned... for Baseball fans at one time Eau Claire had some professional baseball teams including the Eau Claire braves a team Hank Aaron played for.... he broke Babe Ruth's homerun record. The diamond is located on that big island in the middle of the lake.... Carson Park in the middle of half moon lake (looks nothing like a moon)

Dep-34.jpeg
  • edited June 2010
    Duh! That's because it's only half a moon, the rest was destroyed by a giant meteor controlled by the Feruvian people of Neptune. (Sorry, I just love to imagine places named "half moon" actually were supposed to look like a giant space rock split into pieces :p) Why does your town have a French name, Irishmile? Was it originally founded by Acadiens or something?
  • edited June 2010
    It means Clear Water or something like that..... maybe someone who speaks French can verify... The French fur trade came through here and named many of the things here if its not French its going to be named after Native American things.. I do not think the close proximity to French speaking areas in Canada is a coincidence..

Incidentally most of the people here are actually German.... after much of the lands lumber and fur trade died down land owners sold their land to German immigrants as they arrived so they could farm the land... unfortunately many arrived in the middle of a winter they were not expecting and many died... But they gave us our cheese and our beer... many of which the whole world now enjoys.
  • edited June 2010
    Yes, it does mean "Clear Water". "Clair" can also means "light/fair/pale", but I doubt that's the case here.
  • edited June 2010
    Although calling a Pilsner "Biere Claire" would make for a cute pun.
  • edited June 2010
    My personal favorite WI beer..... and you guessed it also made near my house... still using some of that clear water mentioned earlier.

988.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    So how come when you guys were listing off good things about the Midwest you didn't mention beer, hmm? Not that I drink, but I don't eat cheese either. Do order petit fours from the Swiss Colony though.
  • edited June 2010
    Why did you have to mention petits fours? Mmh? Damn you, Lena, making me drool like that.

That beer looks nifty, but for some reason my first thought was "wow, that must be super sweet!". I guess I associate red with sweetness since it tends to be a fruit colour.
  • edited June 2010
    sweet beer? that would be either of these... the brewery is open to the public its kinda like willy wonka only with beer.... you get to sample everything and try upcoming stuff..... I naturally love the place..
    Leinenkugels%20Honey%20Weiss%206pk%20Btls%20WEB.jpg
    apple-spice.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    Honey Weiss is A) a terrible pun and B) a misnomer 'cause I bet that beer ain't white.

Fun Midwestern Fact #37 They love bad puns.
  • edited June 2010
    no its yellowish...

fun fact they sold soda during the prohibition.... also a fun fact... I am a rare Northern Midwesterner who doesn't call soda .... POP.
  • edited June 2010
    *Gasp!* You're a fake, aren't you?! All this time I thought you really were from Wisconsin, but you're probably some East Coaster who moved in grade school or something, aren't you?
  • edited June 2010
    My mothers family was from the East Coast... Philadelphia to be exact. My Father grew up here.... as a result I have a hodgepodge way of talking... as demonstrated in the one thread where we all recorded our voices I do not have a thick WI accent either.

I do on occasion say "You Bet" involuntarily and that is a variation of "You Bet'cha"
  • edited June 2010
    Oh wait, I was right? Shoot, maybe I am psychic! :p (For the non-United States types, we can pinpoint where someone is from based on whether or not they say "Pop" or "Soda" when referring to carbonated soft drinks, and their pronunciation of "orange".)
  • edited June 2010
    I say "soda" more than "pop" although I say both. Also, I thought it ways either "You bet" or "Betcha", but not both at once...

Thanks for the beer, but I don't like beer, except for Dr Pepper (the French kind, not the carbonated North-American sweet drink. A shot of Amaretto in a pint of beer. Probably Belgian Lager.)

I remember my first time having stout, and commenting that it tasted better when it came back out >.> I really didn't like it at all xD

But I generally don't like alcohol. Haven't had it in so many years... Well, apart in food, but then the alcohol is cooked out, and that's the taste I dislike. Without the alcohol taste, most alcohols taste great.

Anyways, Sounds like a nice place, Irish, letting you sample stuff like a cheese shop would. Pretty nifty.
  • edited June 2010
    I was born and raised in WI though I submit this as evidence.... not one but two types of cheese curds in my fridge....

dsc0507rm.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    Shouldn't that be, "Oh yeah, you bet'cha."? Or is that more Minnesotan?
  • edited June 2010
    Does tofu count as curds?
  • edited June 2010
    No, because tofu is tasty. Inarizushi ...
  • edited June 2010
    At least you don't call all carbonated drinks "coke". That one drives me nuts.
  • edited June 2010
    I still have trouble thinking of "coke" as meaning something other than "cocaine". Why do we call it "Coca Cola" in France, anyways, if that's not the real name?
  • edited June 2010
    That is it's real name ... coke is just the nickname. Because we're lazy. And some Americans do refer to all soft drinks as coke apparently. (Skip to a minute 30 sec to see it)
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    That is it's real name ... coke is just the nickname.

You know, it's always weird for French people when North-Americans refer to each other as stuff that aren't their name even when they've just met (Bill, Dick, Bob). A lot of these that we don't have, most people don't even know that they're short for something (Jerry...).
    But now, you're telling me that in similar fashion, the nickname for a drink is what appears on every label? It's like you use nicknames as official names, it's... weird (to me).

We shorten Coca-Cola too, mind you (to "Coca"). But not on the labels :p
    Also, in French the word is "soda", but you can say "cola" for something similar to coke (so, brown and with caffeine in its regular version, pretty much).
    We also have the general "boissons gazeuses" (gassy drinks, technically...) which, while it includes water, usually means the sweet stuff.
    Incidentally, non-carbonated water is referred to as "eau plate", "flat water". But if you're in France, ask for "une carafe d'eau" (a jug of water), otherwise they'll bring a bottle and charge you for it.
    Unless you do want a bottle, of course.

Anyways. Any other drinks from the Midwest?
  • edited June 2010
    We call Coca the Coca Cola for short. Which is also short of Cocaine.

Ok, move on.
  • edited June 2010
    You can tell what part of the country you're in by whether Dr Pepper is bottled by Coca Cola or by Pepsi. Here in Nebraska and in a few surrounding states, Dr Pepper is bottled by Coke. In other parts of the country it's bottled by Pepsi.
  • edited June 2010
    They use the coca plant to make coca-cola.... the plant used to make illegal cocaine.. I remember hearing as a kid that Coca Cola used to have cocaine in it when the company first started.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah ... but is that really true? Seems like that'd be expensive even back in the 18-whatevers when they invented coke. Having a cola extract even, I wonder if he just used the name to make it sound cool?

What about lemonade? That's a pretty down-home, Americana kind of drink. (Sorry, Ginny, :( ) I'm guessing there's got to be some hard lemonades made where you live.
  • edited June 2010
    In NZ we call Sprite / 7Up "Lemonade".

Also, cokelore.
  • edited June 2010
    Minnesota is fantastic. I currently live in Bemidji; we pride ourselves on being the birthplace of American folk legend Paul Bunyan, and we're just a short drive away from Lake Itasca, where the Mississippi River can be crossed in a single step.

I'm psyched as hell for this game; the environments look perfect (love how Scoggins is advertised with lush green iconography yet the game takes place in the dead of winter, for instance), and I know I've passed through my fair share of Scogginses whenever I've driven to the Twin Cities. Can't wait!
  • edited June 2010
    (Sorry, Ginny, :( )

Just like I said, this is a North American forum and I have to respect your rules. If it's called Americana by you guys, I have to stand it ^^!

But thanks for the feeling ^^!
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah ... but is that really true? Seems like that'd be expensive even back in the 18-whatevers when they invented coke.

According to my parents, coke originally was a stomach medication or something. If you've got an upset stomach, having coke (after removing the carbonations, and do NOT take it light, since fake sugar is bad for your stomach so if you've got stomach problems you don't need that) will help you.
    We always had that as kids when we had gastro-enteritis.
    Ginger ale apparently helps too due to the ginger, although we dont get ginger ale in France so of course we never had that as a "remedy".
  • edited June 2010
    For a bad stomach we always got 7-Up, carbonated, but Mom said it helped mostly for getting some sugar and liquid in our system and was cheaper than pedialite or that kind of thing. Also, I don't know if coca extract immediately counts as "cocaine". I consider cocaine would be a coca extract, but the stuff Scarface was snortin' up was probably a lot stronger than the liquid they used in early coke. I mean, codeine and heroine both come from poppies, but they aren't exactly the same strength, although they are both pretty dang strong.

I also like Grass, Fern and Stump Lakes, Lobst :D They sounds pretty durn Scoggins-like!
  • edited June 2010
    I always suffered through a sour stomach... So... Feel the love.
  • edited June 2010
    I always thought I had an upset stomach when I was a kid. Then I realized that I was actually just hungry all the time and hadn't really realized it.
  • edited June 2010
    I always thought I had an upset stomach when I was a kid. Then I realized that I was actually just hungry all the time and hadn't really realized it.

That's sad :(
Sign in to comment in this discussion.