JakeJake Telltale Alumni
PuzzAgent_puzzled_patron.jpg

Puzzle Agent is here!

Get it
Official site!

Store!

Marketing!
What is the mystery of Scoggins?

What the heck is going on Scoggins, Minnesota? When White House inquiries to the Scoggins Eraser Co. are answered only with curious puzzles, the U.S. Department of Puzzle Investigation's Nelson Tethers is sent on the case.

As the government's sole Puzzle Agent, Tethers has his hands full: the strange case of Scoggins plunges him into a mystery that will challenge every ounce of his expertise, and possibly his very wits too. Tethers must overcome brainteasers at every turn, including mazes, logic puzzles and riddles. He soon realizes that these - along with the clinically pre-occupied townspeople, secret societies, and mysterious sounds from the forest - are intimately connected to the core conundrum. And what's with the gnomes?

---

So you guys have been playing it a bit, I hope! What do you think? Let's talk Puzzle agent!

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I like the music in the main menue.
    Cannot get further though since my PC seems to be too slow and there is no option to turn down the quality setting like in W&G, ToMI and S&MS3. Or at least I don't see it.
  • edited June 2010
    Love the music, love the graphic style and the puzzles seem to be challenging enough without making the game stessful (so far).

The thing that threw me was how may puzzles. Everytime I click something theres a new puzzle to do,I was hoping to have a quick look and then go back to work but now i can't stop!!!!!

Well done.
  • edited June 2010
    Brilliant! The atmosphere is great, and I am so sad real life is pulling me away from it at the moment :(
    The puzzles arent too hard nor too easy, just right! Well, at the moment anyway! Hoping they will get challenging further on.
  • edited June 2010
    Am I the only one who didn't get the Room Key one at all? I must just be dense. Also I didn't understand the Rubberband one too well. Didn't know I had to create an actual Rubberband :l
  • edited June 2010
    Haven't gotten too far in, but I really like what I've already played. The room key puzzle has me stuck at the moment, so I'm going to let that simmer in the back of my mind overnight before resorting to hints.

The music is just perfect so far, and the voices are great -- the little Minnesota touches are hilarious (hot dish!).

I'm already hoping for a full season!
  • edited June 2010
    I've gotten to the room key puzzle, and so far I love it.
  • edited June 2010
    You guy should make the soundtrack available. I would like to give you my money. Let me give you money for the soundtrack. Digital or otherwise.

Money.
  • edited June 2010
    I've done 7 puzzles so far. Great first impression. Loving the overall presentation. I have nothing but positive things to say, and that's not just because this is an official forum read by the people that made the game. :)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    there is no option to turn down the quality setting like in W&G, ToMI and S&MS3. Or at least I don't see it.

That's because there is nothing in the game that the "higher quality" settings in Sam & Max/TOMI/W&G use. There's no depth of field, glowing lights, shadows, etc. This game runs at around the equivalent of quality 1-4 on those other game's sliders.

Your best bet to improve performance is to lower your screen resolution in graphics settings!
  • edited June 2010
    I'm about ten puzzles in and so far I am extremely pleased. The music and voice acting has been great so far. Really looking forward to playing this in the morning when I wake up.

Great job Telltale.

Also, a question. Since this is a pilot, is this thread going to be used to help determine whether there is a full season?
  • edited June 2010
    Awesome indie game! Just peeked a bit at it before leaving to work here. Great atmosphere that's absolutely fantastic. The first guy you meet in Scoggins is already a memorable character, good job!

I'm having difficulties finding the menu though, what a puzzle! ;d
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    queztone wrote: »
    Awesome indie game! Just peeked a bit at it before leaving to work here. Great atmosphere that's absolutely fantastic. The first guy you meet in Scoggins is already a memorable character, good job!

I'm having difficulties finding the menu though, what a puzzle! ;d

Click the puzzle folder icon in the top left corner, or hit "esc." That takes you to the in-game menu with stats and things. From there you can also go to the main menu if you'd like.
  • ZakZak
    edited June 2010
    queztone wrote: »
    Awesome indie game!

It's not an indie game, Telltale is a commercial company.
  • edited June 2010
    Just finished the game. Those gnomes really creep me out!!! Love the game.
  • edited June 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    Click the puzzle folder icon in the top left corner, or hit "esc." That takes you to the in-game menu with stats and things. From there you can also go to the main menu if you'd like.

Hee, you're right! I hadn't walked into the hotel yet. ;0
  • ZakZak
    edited June 2010
    I honestly wasn't expecting too much, but I'm highly impressed with what I've played so far.

The voice acting is fabulous, and so is the art. I'm not as bothered as I thought I was going to be by grickle's low framerate style of animation throughout the game.

This may have been inspired by proffesor Layton, but I must say I'm enjoying this a lot more. Layton gave you 5 puzzles at a time before you were given more story, whereas Puzzle Agent gives you one puzzle, followed by a chunk of story, which makes a lot more sense.

I'm suprised with just how cinematic this game is.
  • edited June 2010
    I like this much more than Layton so far.
  • edited June 2010
    Well I've just tried this and pretty good so far (about 5 or 6 puzzles done, used couple of hints, had about 3 wrong answers). Anyone else hate the suspense when you click "submit" and have to wait a few tense moments before it tells you whether your solution is ACCEPTED or REJECTED?

Have a feeling this won't be a cakewalk to complete. Hopefully it won't be too short a game. Think maybe I'll have another go at it again. Kind of funny how Telltale released it with only a few hours left in June.
  • edited June 2010
    Great game :)
    Hope to see a full season :D
  • edited June 2010
    Layton's got way more polish and the puzzles are more logical, if not always natural to what is going on.

This one is fun though. Can I start quoting this game yet?

"Those guys brought it in when I ordered my pie... THAT I'M STILL WAITING FOR!!!"
  • ZakZak
    edited June 2010
    I can't see how this isn't going to be the top selling iPhone game throughout July.
  • edited June 2010
    Hey, I don't post here very often, but I wanted to say a few things after playing through the whole thing in a mad-one-sitting-go. This will have spoilers, so heads up.
    Now, I'm not going to go on about how the music is great, or how you did a masterful job translating the Art into the game. You did, and better people then I have already praised you for it. Rather, I want to talk about something I haven't heard anyone say yet (To my knowledge at least.) Those jump scares in the puzzles were really effective. The first time it happened, I almost screamed. As a player of Layton, I'm use to the world stopping so you can do a puzzle. It put me extremely on edge to think that the game could do something in the middle of a puzzle.

Now, the other thing. For the most part, I had no issue with the puzzles. However, two gave me trouble and I don't think it was my fault. First is, "The Maw of Madness", which gave me trouble because I didn't know that if a hole wasn't filled, the "Logic" stream wouldn't continue to travel. That caused me some trouble when I came up with a solution that had a blank in it.

Other one was "Hydraulic Headache". Now, this one is, on retrospect, more of my fault then the other. Because the lifts are numbered, I assumed incorrectly that the lifts had to be placed in that order, which can be done in that number of moves, if the lifts had to be in order.

Only other thing I have to say is this. I hate to go back to Layton, but there was one thing I missed from that game that this one could have used. Drawing on the puzzle. It's not a big thing, considering I could use a pen and paper to help me out when I needed them, but for iPod/iPad users, this may be a bigger deal.

*NOTE: If I missed something that would have solved one of my complaints, disregard it. It's what I get for playing so late at night.

One last time, I want to state that this is a great game. I'm really happy I got it and played it in one run through. I really hope this goes well, because I would buy a full season of this in a heart beat.
  • edited June 2010
    Some of the wording on the puzzles is really bad too... I'm not always sure what I'm being asked to do.
  • edited June 2010
    Did I love the accents? You betcha!

madness.jpg

I haven't had to pull out a pen and paper for a computer game in years. Thank you for this awesome, memorable experience. Way to go, team TTG!
  • edited June 2010
    The fish one comes to mind as being awkward.
  • edited June 2010
    My impression? Look below!
  • edited June 2010
    Amazingly fun. And yes, I screamed
    whenever the Hidden People jumped out of nowhere in the middle of a puzzle
    . :eek:
  • edited June 2010
    Also, there should be a place off to the side of the screen where the items are stored when you're having to put together something instead of it all being jumbled onto your screen.
  • edited June 2010
    I enjoyed the story more so than the game play, some of them it just didn't feel like I had a firm grasp of what the game was trying to get me to do. I was really into the story up until it just sort of...well...ended.

Also, Gnome jump-scares during puzzles was brilliance.
  • edited June 2010
    Just thought to give some first impressions after playing the game for an hour and a half:

First thing that crossed my mind was: "Ooh, this looks cool" and the way the assignment was presented was interesting.

After Nelson had been going around Scoggins for a while, I started to feel a bit bored. The puzzles were fun, but everything else was just him asking routine questions with rather plain answers. Though right after I felt that I walked out the diner, heard the joke about the tracks, encountered the first gnome and cool weird things started happening.

Now I want to figure out the mystery, but I have to go to work.

I enjoyed the newest Layton, but didn't like the story much at all. I hope the interestingness of Puzzle Agent will keep escalating throughout the episode(s) and thus end up better than it's inspiration.

Also, I like how the puzzles in Puzzle Agent feel much more connected to the world and the story than Layton's "This reminds me of a puzzle".
  • 8bitnick8bitnick Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    Just finished, Loved the story, Loved the breaking of the 4th wall, and really glad to hear people are enjoying the music :)
  • edited June 2010
    The last Layton's story, while not up to the first, was still good.

The puzzles in Puzzle Agent are connected better for sure.

But what really needs to happen is something more in the way of character development. The base for an interesting story is there, but not the exploration. There are interesting characters. The wife doesn't get enough time, Bjork doesn't. Sheriff gets most of the time and he comes across well, but you have all these people who might be interesting condensed into a two hour timeframe of gameplay.

I would have really liked more of that world and more of those people - and not like Sam and Max style where the characters are essentially joke walls, but something with some meat. I know Telltale doesn't really do character development (some efforts in ToMI not withstanding) but this is one area where it would have paid off for the game.
  • edited June 2010
    Daishi, that's what we into the puzzle games call a puzzle...you are supposed to figure out how it fits together, not have it spoon fed to you. I enjoyed it tremendously, from the effects to
    the scary fucking jumps in the puzzles.
    I did have a problem with not having enough information on some puzzles to know how to solve it, but once I got through it I understood it.
  • edited June 2010
    I play plenty of puzzle games and work on plenty of puzzles, but the ones in this game were good but not great. I don't need a drop spoon fed to me, FYI, so take that comment and eat it.
  • edited June 2010
    After beating it in 2 sittings this night I really enjoyed it. Although I really want to know whats going on in Minnesota now. Ending just kinda left you there. At least that makes it open for more. Also same with everyone else. Those Gnomes scare the shit out of me. I also found the puzzles worded weirdly. I had the same problem on the light puzzle where I had to get the crazy guy to give me the pipe. I left one space open and it acted as if it hit a wall. Also I would of liked less repeating puzzles. Such as the snowmobile, bug gates, or having to connect one place to another. Also I thought it was an interesting hint system but I had 20 hints by the end since they are so easy to get. Maybe there could be a different system for future installments? /criticize

Overall it took about 3-4 hours maybe but I think I got my moneys worth. Although I mostly bought it for that 50% preorder deal. But I got a good game out of it. And pretty please more installments please. I need my puzzles and twin peaks part of my brain stroked more.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, Layton, whatever. Goldfish memory. How about The 7th Guest or The Fool's Errand? Forbid Telltale should EVER make a point-and-click adventure game, lest it be compared with King's Quest or Loom.

Is it as good or as long or as puzzling as Layton? As satisfying? All I know is I paid $10 for Puzzle Agent and I believe it was worth every penny. The music was beyond fantastic. Great atmosphere. Really loved the minimalistic artwork. The voice-acting was aces, kid! Aces!

Sure, a handful of the puzzles fell flat, including one I solved correctly (given the stated rules) twice, only to have it be rejected. I'm looking at you, final gnome-delivering bird puzzle. But it says something when I am so captivated I play through an entire episode in one sitting.

And, yes, I also have tiny scraps of paper on my desk with Bernie-Pop-Al-Iggy-Pearl-Flo-Pat scribbled on them. And
    RCCRCRCCB
    . Reminds me of the good ol' days when this was common. Along with graph paper. Oh, yeah... let's start comparing Puzzle Agent with Nord and Bert! That'd be fun and useless!

Second episode, please. Like, yesterday.

Grand job, Telltale.
  • edited June 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    This game runs at around the equivalent of quality 1-4 on those other game's sliders.

Your best bet to improve performance is to lower your screen resolution in graphics settings!

that sums it up right there. I can play the others only on 3 and below. Anyways I played the game a little bit and plan on completing it. I did the first 2 puzzles (before I had to go) and I really like the game so far. The music is excellent the game looks just like handdrawn and animated which is a big plus.
    I like the puzzles so far but was a little irritated that I did not need to turn the pieces of paper for the first puzzle (but I guess the first puzzles are designed to be a very easy start in the game, I hope I will see how hard they may get)
  • edited June 2010
    I haven't read everything on this thread as I noticed a few mini spoilers and since I haven't finished I don't want to know. So sorry if I'm repeating what people have already said:

The music, story (or what I've seen so far), characters, and character voices are all really good. I also like the way you've done the cursor. I like that it sends a small radar out from the point where you've clicked, which allows us to see the hotspots for that area. It's a really good way of doing that, I think. Anyway, I'm going to get back to the game now.
  • edited June 2010
    Got to say that I really love the music in this game.
  • edited June 2010
    quickfics wrote: »

Sure, a handful of the puzzles fell flat, including one I solved correctly (given the stated rules) twice, only to have it be rejected. I'm looking at you, final gnome-delivering bird puzzle.

Glad I wasn't the only one!

But yeah, I would love to know if we're going to see more Puzzle Agent or not, it was absolutely brilliant.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.