Puzzle Agent impressions!

1234568»

Comments

• edited December 2010
    The game itself and the story is absolutely fantastic and compelling. But the ending is a total letdown. It felt like everything you did in the game was for no reason. I really hope there is a sequel or something on the way
  • edited December 2010
    MrBeast wrote: »
    The game itself and the story is absolutely fantastic and compelling. But the ending is a total letdown. It felt like everything you did in the game was for no reason. I really hope there is a sequel or something on the way

Yeah Im pretty sure they said something about a script for a second installment. The ending sure left more puzzles(heh couldn't resist) than answers.
  • edited December 2010
    Puzzle Agent is a great game.
    Not very long but the story is good.
    But i'm very disapointed about the end of the game.
    The story isn't finished. Why........??? i want answers what really happend........
    A sequel is the only way out.
  • edited December 2010
    Got this, my first Telltale game, free with the BTTF order. Loved it but it only took around 4 hours to complete (Superior Conundrum Cracker at 37 puzzles, 12 hints if anyone cares) and now I'm left wanting more...

I'd like to see much harder puzzles in any follow up (in most cases without halting the plot so they could be returned to at a later date, ala Layton on DS) and with clearer instructions since many of the hint uses were an attempt to clarify what was being asked on a few puzzles.

The story was clearly left open so hopefully there is more to come!
  • edited December 2010
    Okay, just finished it and...

I LOVED the atmosphere, the artwork, the gnomes, the soundeffects, the mysterious twin-peakish story, all of that. (Loved how gnomes would interrupt and disrupt puzzles - just brilliant!)
    [...]
    But.

Most puzzles were too simple. I spent next to no time solving them.
    [...]

Other puzzles, like the object arranging ones or the jigsaw-style ones, almost allowed you to cheat. Many objects clicked together while I was trying to rearrange them to have a better look at them! So what might have been an engaging puzzle almost solved itself.

All in all, I would really really love to see a whole season of this game. (Did I tell you how much I loved the atmosphere and the artwork?) But I believe it needs some serious rethinking in the puzzle design department.
    I quoted this comment because I have the same opinion, except for:
    The few [puzzles] that had me baffled, it was more because of the rules than the puzzle itself. I thought some of the puzzle rules were not very clear. Take the elevator puzzle: It was not clear that all the elevators would move at the same time, following the same command, or even that they would move one square at a time. When I read "an elevator will stop when it hits a wall", I assumed it would keep following an "up" command until it found an obstacle. Maybe it was me, but there were a few other puzzles that could be clearer in their description in my opinion.
    I think the rules were pretty clear. In my view, the interpretation mistakes are the player's fault only.

My (personal) interpretations of the mistakes on the Hydraulic Headache puzzle:
    It was not clear that all the elevators would move at the same time, following the same command
    Fast reading: "Each arrow moves all lift at once."
    I assumed it would keep following an "up" command until it found an obstacle.
    Trying to complicate the problem. Actually, if it was the case, the puzzle would be impossible. The elevator #1 wouldn't be able to move in any direction without being destroyed immediately...

However, the fact that the elevators are numbered is a bit misleading. And there seams to be a bug on the puzzle. According to the rules, the following commands should work:
    Up, up, right, up
    Up, left, up, up
    Left, right, right, up
    If you are complicated enough to have tried this in your first attempt, I think you can rightfully moan :D .
  • edited December 2010
    Just got it through the BTTF pre-order today, finished it a couple hours ago, and have to say I'm glad it came as a bonus because, DESPITE how awesome the story is, the gameplay is, and the presentation is, its all too short.

I mean, I was expecting to do more after the story ended, like some extra puzzles besides the few side ones. Compared to other $10 games, there's just better out there. I hate to make such a brutal comparison because Puzzle Agent is very unique (LOVED the mystery and intrigue, and especially the shock of the gnomes), but it's severely lacking gameplay. Don't let this pilot gather dust though! I'd like to see a sequel after BTTF! And while I might be hesitant to buy it right away without knowing it has more substance, I'd trust you guys at Telltale even if you just told me you did add more.
  • edited December 2010
    Just got it and started playing got to the part where the sheriff puts the pictures in the wrong order just because...
    I understand the game is about puzzles or some sinister plot that is yet to unveiled, but if it was reality I'd probably start shooting people from that point on. Sheriff first
  • edited December 2010
    Dark Byte wrote: »
    Just got it and started playing got to the part where the sheriff puts the pictures in the wrong order just because...

That was one of the funniest moments in the game. I don't usually laugh out loud at stuff when I'm alone, but I did at this.
  • edited December 2010
    Bought this game for my girlfriend for Christmas and we just finished it yesterday. We absolutely loved it, the voice acting, the art style, the story, all superb. I agree somewhat with people saying the ending was a let-down, but I just assumed that there was a sequel on the way.

My girlfriend (the one who likes puzzles) thought the puzzles were a good variety.

We were very sad when it ended and our only complaint is that it was short, we want more Puzzle Agent!
  • edited December 2010
    Great story and characters, love the whole style. Really should have this as its own series because its so different from everything else and is the first thing without a pre existing franchise that they've made so far. Only real change I would like to see is the puzzles to be made more logical since some of them were a bit skewed. Regular adventure games can have nonsensical and silly puzzles but a straight up puzzle solver game with adventure game elements is a whole different story IMHO.

And yes, I too was a bit disappointed with the ending. Right when I thought the game was really starting to take off......its over. Really sad.
  • edited January 2011
    I just finished playing it on the iPhone and it was really good. In fact, I think it suits a hand held device like the iPhone or DS a lot better than the PC. The story was intriguing & kept me playing and there weren't too many repetitive puzzles.

Now, I've read a lot displeasure with the ending in this thread; but I liked it. It sort of reminded me of the ending to Raiders of The Lost Ark. The good guy won in the end, but was still left with questions (or puzzles rather).

I really hope we get to see more games in this series and then maybe a whole new story starring the Grickle characters. Keep up the original games.
  • edited January 2011
    Just finished the game today (started last night).

Overall I really enjoyed it. The atmosphere was fresh and interesting - funny, but deeply creepy at the same time. For the most part the puzzles were great fun and the ideal difficulty level. I'm really hoping for a full season.

Constructive criticism:
    -For some puzzles (e.g. the final puzzle) I was confused about what was being asked of me, or about the "rules".
    -For the jigsaw puzzles (ESPECIALLY the "fit all these things in this space" ones), I kept accidentally connecting the right pieces together, because I was moving them around for a better look and they snapped together. That was really unsatisfying. Never got the chance to solve it myself.
    -The gear puzzle really annoyed me. Since when are jigsaw puzzle pieces allowed to overlap? But I solved it more or less accidentally because I happened to drop a piece next to one it fit with, and saw the basic idea.
    -There was a tile-rotating puzzle (I forget which one) with sixteen tiles, but the twelve along the outside all had a border on them, so you could ignore the actual puzzle (pipes or something) and do those twelve pieces just by aligning the border, making the puzzle really really easy.
    -I tried Puzzle Agent on my netbook and it was sluggish. I don't know why - it's not like the graphics are really advanced. This game ought to run on just about anything.
    -I was distracted by some of the backgrounds that were obviously made of 3D models. They stuck out. I'd much rather have drawn 2D backgrounds.
    -MOST UNSATISFYING ENDING EVER. Even if I knew for sure another episode was on the way, I'd still be disappointed with the total lack of conclusion.
  • edited January 2011
    This is really excellent game. I loved the atmosphere, music, puzzle ant etc. Some more episodes pls., I need it.
  • edited February 2011
    I hope to god Telltale pick this up as a series. I looooved this game. It is the first game I've played where the story and atmosphere alone justified the purchase and the puzzles were great too.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm playing it right now and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. And it's amazing how creepy this game is too. Especially when someone took something from a puzzle I was working on. (Trying not to spoil anything for those who haven't played it yet but if you have I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Has to do with pipes. lol)

But anyway, Puzzle Agent, one of my favorite games right now.
  • edited June 2011
    I love when Nelson gets freaked out by the gnomes and promptly runs into a tree. Great comedic timing, there.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.