iTunes

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Koloth wrote: »
    As long as there is a dev here: are you going to be making art that can take advantage of the high resolution display on say the iPhone 4 as well as on the regular display on the other iPod/iPhones?

Are there stlll Games out, which use the higher Resolution of the iPhone 4? It is a bit sad, that the iPhone 4 cannot use the iPad-versions due to the (only slightly) lower resolution.
  • edited July 2010
    Quite a few games are already updated to use the higher resolution of the iPhone 4. And they also support the regular iPhone resolutions. Including games like Sword of Fargoal, for which the graphics on the iPhone 4 look quite close to the iPad version's graphics.

But alas, the iPhone 4 does lose iPad game use due to that resolution limitation and (to a point) processor limitation. Yes, they use the same processor, but the iPhone 4 runs at a lower clock speed. In some ways, the slightly lower res does help keep the speed up some, but one would still need to engineer such software for tests on the iPhone 4 so it's optimized.

Still, the iPad may have a few issues it needs a software upgrade to deal with. I'm pretty sure the iPad's compatibility with iPhone software limits only the version of the iPhone software that runs at the original iPhone resolutions. So iPad users are currently out on seeing supported iPhone software running at iPhone 4 resolutions. They may update that with the iOS4 release on the iPad. That's just a guess, on my part, as it would be a logical time for them to do it.
  • edited July 2010
    Koloth wrote: »
    As long as there is a dev here: are you going to be making art that can take advantage of the high resolution display on say the iPhone 4 as well as on the regular display on the other iPod/iPhones?

I'd like to know this too. I have an iPhone 4 and I'm going to buy this again when it comes out, but it would be nice to have Retina Display Support.
  • edited July 2010
    so here we are july 30th...where is the gaame :(?
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah. Is it arriving anytime soon?
  • edited August 2010
    It's August 3rd where is it?
  • edited August 2010
    Its August 3rd where is it?

Where is what?

Ohhhh, Puzzle Agent!!! I totally forgot about that... I just assumed it was vaporware...
  • edited August 2010
    8th of august and nothing showed up :(:( what is going on?
  • edited August 2010
    They forgot to push the "make game" button, since no work or effort is required to make a port. Obviously.
  • edited August 2010
    The iPhone 4 and iOS4 both came into existence while this port was being developed, so it's possible that they slowed down to implement support for that, rather than rushing to get it done and knowing that they'd have to patch it again.
  • edited August 2010
    yeah slowing down for nearly a month...the update for any game on itunes for ios4 comptability takes a week at maximum ...so why does it take more than month?
  • edited August 2010
    bo2loz wrote: »
    yeah slowing down for nearly a month...the update for any game on itunes for ios4 comptability takes a week at maximum ...so why does it take more than month?

They've already said that they had to redo a lot of art assets specifically to work at such a low resolution on such a small screen, and possibly supporting the retina display further complicates things? But please, could everyone just stop whining about it? They're working on it as hard as they can and it will come out as soon as it's done, there is no more information available, and posting here every other day is not going to suddenly cause them to know when it will be out. They will let us know when it's out, so just settle down and be patient.
  • edited August 2010
    They've already said that they had to redo a lot of art assets specifically to work at such a low resolution on such a small screen, and possibly supporting the retina display further complicates things? But please, could everyone just stop whining about it? They're working on it as hard as they can and it will come out as soon as it's done, there is no more information available, and posting here every other day is not going to suddenly cause them to know when it will be out. They will let us know when it's out, so just settle down and be patient.

hey am not whinning for the game am just waiting for a word to at least comfort us that they are preparing the game...what u said that they were working on the game these words were said at 20th of july which means almost near 20 days...so in all 20 days there's no sign of a word ...any dev plz comfort us that u are working on the game and tell us an exact released date
  • edited August 2010
    hey am not whinning for the game am just waiting for a word to at least comfort us that they are preparing the game...what u said that they were working on the game these words were said at 20th of july which means almost near 20 days...so in all 20 days there's no sign of a word ...any dev plz comfort us that u are working on the game and tell us an exact released date

They will post that information when they have it, they are working on it.

How many times do I have to say this? And why does everyone expect an update on everything Telltale is doing every other minute?

:confused:
  • edited August 2010
    They will post that information when they have it, they are working on it.

How many times do I have to say this? And why does everyone expect an update on everything Telltale is doing every other minute?

:confused:

ok maybe u r right but i didn't ask for every minute info..i said it before it has been 20 days..not 20 minutes for god's sake and oh btw...how can u be so sure they are working on it? u have a proof or are u one of the team which i don't think u are..
  • edited August 2010
    ok maybe u r right but i didn't ask for every minute info..i said it before it has been 20 days..not 20 minutes for god's sake and oh btw...how can u be so sure they are working on it? u have a proof or are u one of the team which i don't think u are..

It's been publicly announced in press releases and numerous forum posts by employees. They would tell us if they had canceled it, they just don't have any firm information to report, so they have no reason to update us and say "Oh, hey, nothing new to report on this".

And sorry if I come off as rude, I'm really cranky because my AC broke and my room is about 90 degrees right now. :mad:
  • edited August 2010
    It's been publicly announced in press releases and numerous forum posts by employees. They would tell us if they had canceled it, they just don't have any firm information to report, so they have no reason to update us and say "Oh, hey, nothing new to report on this".

And sorry if I come off as rude, I'm really cranky because my AC broke and my room is about 90 degrees right now. :mad:

lool never mind mate it's ok :) well i guess am anxious more than it takes i knw and i keep wanting to knw more and more about it...but as u said they are working on it so i guess we will have to wait nothing else we can do :)
    thanks for the info mate :)
  • edited August 2010

Don't be so certain they would "tell us" if they cancelled it.
  • edited August 2010
    G.byrne wrote: »
    Don't be so certain they would "tell us" if they cancelled it.

Even if they for some reason didn't, a couple month delay doesn't automatically mean canceled.

Example: Sam & Max Beyond Time & Space

December 2, 2008: Atari announced a new partnership with Telltale to bring Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space to retail worldwide in 2009 for both PC & Wii

March 9, 2010: Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space finally released to retail for PC & Wii.

Sometimes things get behind schedule, or technical problems crop up, or there are troubles with the distributor (See: Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures on XBLA being interrupted by Microsoft's "Summer of Arcade"). It doesn't mean things are canceled.

I have yet to see Telltale fail to release a port that they announced, so I can't be certain that they would tell us if they had decided to abandon it, but take the iPad versions of The Devil's Playhouse. They went for a couple months without saying anything about when/if episode 2 would come out, and then posted that they were having difficulty with the size limitations, but were still trying to see if they can tweak it enough to squeeze it in, but they still don't know when/if they will be able to release it.

TL;DR: Have some faith in Telltale. :)
  • edited August 2010
    My wish is actually for the other developers. Tell tale needs their time, as they have higher demand adventure games than the norm. I did like the initial deluge of Adventure games on the iPad. I hope more of the easy ports come along while we wait.

Seems just about all kinds of graphic adventures seem to take on new life on the thing. Still, I have yet to take on the Simon the Sorcerer games and the Beneath the Steel Sky, on the thing. Together, they can take some time. Even though BTSS is an iphone game, it probably looks decent at 2x. I think the resolution isn't that far off from the original computer versions.

Edit: Sorry iPad users. The BTSS game doesn't currently run on iPad because for some strange reason, the current version is iOS4-only. Don't know why they locked out so many users. So iPad will have to wait until they get their iOS4 update.
  • edited August 2010
    so according to akaimizu the game will be released first for the ipods and iphones before ipads right? but when :(..i guess there's a telltale member here who told us about the development of the games and commented some comments in this thread..i wonder where he is?
  • edited August 2010
    Not according to me. Remember the first two releases were iPad releases. I only had to mention Beneath the Steel Sky (which is a different developer) because of the mysterious thing they did when the most recent revision of it effectively locked out anybody who wasn't on OS4. This came up as I was talking about other adventure games to hold one over until this release.
  • edited August 2010
    yeah u r right...i wonder where is will the telltale member:(?
  • edited August 2010

I have yet to see Telltale fail to release a port that they announced, so I can't be certain that they would tell us if they had decided to abandon it, but take the iPad versions of The Devil's Playhouse. They went for a couple months without saying anything about when/if episode 2 would come out, and then posted that they were having difficulty with the size limitations, but were still trying to see if they can tweak it enough to squeeze it in, but they still don't know when/if they will be able to release it.

TL;DR: Have some faith in Telltale. :)

The only reason they told us about the delay in the iPad Devil's Playhouse episodes is because people were demanding an explanation. If people kept quietly waiting... They never would have said anything about "the problems porting the more graphically intense episodes..."
  • edited August 2010
    G.byrne wrote: »
    The only reason they told us about the delay in the iPad Devil's Playhouse episodes is because people were demanding an explanation. If people kept quietly waiting... They never would have said anything about "the problems porting the more graphically intense episodes..."

You're basing that on ... what exactly? Oh right, complete guesswork. Gotcha.
  • edited August 2010
    i actually agree with what g.byrne says cause if we kept silenced they wouldn't have said they are facing problems and the other stuff they said...so nw we all want to hear from them again ...and can anyone tell me where the telltale member gone?? he just disappeared and answers no one...so he just gone :(
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited August 2010
    and can anyone tell me where the telltale member gone?? he just disappeared and answers no one...so he just gone :(
    Oh, I don't know... Could he possibly be a little busy working on The City that Dares not Sleep and the various as-yet-unreleased ports of Puzzle Agent (or even working on fixing the existing ones) to pore through dozens of threads, answering posts every time someone wants an up-to-the-minute update on the status of such and such game?
    If he posted something such as "Sorry guys, but the game is still being worked on. Due to the difference in resolution we have to make sure all of the puzzles are legible and playable and so forth, so there is a bit of art tweaking to be done and this is taking a bit more time that we initially expected, especially since we also have to make sure that episode 5 of The Devil's Playhouse, which DOES have somewhat of a deadline (before the end of August) is as good and bug-less as it can be. Unfortunately I can't give you a launch date beyond "as soon as humanly possible." but be assured that the game is still being worked on. In other words, it will be there when it's ready."
    Of course, like SHODANFreeman would say, that is complete guesswork (albeit complete EDUCATED guesswork, based on Will's last post in this thread and my understanding of how Telltale works, after having been a loyal customer and follower since day 1).
    My point is that Telltale has no reason to keep us updated (which they still do, as after all, there is a decent chance that what Will mentioned in his last post in this thread is still current and valid, except for the part about Comic-Con) unless the project goes completely south, gets delayed indefinitely (a month an a half later than what people expect does not qualify as "indefinitely") or you already ponied up the money. Regarding that last point, I think that people who bought the PC or Mac version and can't get it to work (due to bugs that Telltale is working to fix) are more entitled to updates than people who are just impatient.
    The game WILL be released. Soon (-ish).
    It will not be released sooner if you keep asking for a release date but we live in a free society, so who am I to tell you that you shouldn't?
  • edited August 2010
    u r a mac
  • edited August 2010
    You're basing that on ... what exactly? Oh right, complete guesswork. Gotcha.

No. You are right. It is guesswork. You're right about that. But it's guesswork I am very confident about. I'm smart enough to know that answers don't materialize unless a question is asked.

I'm also cynical enough to know that without a deadline, things don't get done. I'm not saying "Telltale" is like that, on the contrary, they have made good on almost all of their promises... But the vast majority of people in all different industries take advantage of "no deadline" to avoid finishing work. Look at Duke Nukem Forever. That is a perfect example of "when it's done.". There is no excuse for their excuses.

Very few people are like John Carmack, Cliffy B., or Casey Hudson... They say "when it's done" to encourage production of the highest quality product, but they always deliver, and deliver in a reasonable time. Others say "when it's done" just to prolong a work schedule.

This has turned into a rant. An inexcusable rant that has no place on Telltale's forums, specifically because 'they don't' fall into the category of people I'm criticizing. Like I said, more communication would be nice, but that could be said about any developers.
  • edited August 2010
    wow nice words from g.byrne....from..so from the first place if they are doing their best why they did have a release date? if they can't keep their promise or at least not sure when it will be available so they shouldn't put a release date from the first place...like g.byrne said "when it's done" is much waaay better than " available on 30th june" lol what a joke
    edited August 2010
    so from the first place if they are doing their best why they did have a release date?

I'm pretty sure that Telltale never gave a release date for any version other than the Mac and PC ones (for which all they said was June 2010).
    If people decide to extrapolate that all versions will be released at the same time, it's their mistake and not Telltale's.
  • edited August 2010
    well think again and watch the trailer that telltale posted for puzzle agent..it says at the end the game will be availble for 30th june for all devices and then showed pc...mac...iphone and something else which i dunn remember
    edited August 2010
    OK, I'll admit I didn't remember the trailer (which mentions June, by the way, not June 30).
    While it is possible to understand June as the release month for every version, on the last screen of the trailer, a post-it note that says "Available June" also says "Pre-Order Now!" and therefore probably refers to the pre-orderable versions (i.e. the Mac and PC ones) as the ones available in June.
    I understand how it can be interpreted as "all versions will be available in June", though (even though I would have been skeptical as soon as I saw WiiWare mentioned, since Nintendo is not exactly fast at approving release dates for WiiWare games, as fans of Telltale games know).
  • edited August 2010
    I just inherited my sisters Ipod touch, and am really interested in picking this up. Have TTG given a rough ETA yet?
  • edited August 2010
    Just read this good hands on look at the iVersion of the game:

http://toucharcade.com/2010/08/18/hands-on-with-upcoming-puzzle-agent-from-telltale-games/

From that it looks like it should be out by the end of the month.
  • edited August 2010
    yeah it seems so at the end of the month :) i hope :)
  • edited August 2010
    Cool lets hope it is out by the end of the month seems likes ages we have been waiting! Any word if it has been summited to apple yet?
  • edited August 2010
    i heard from toucharcade that this game was approved yesterday...is that true?
  • edited August 2010
    Hm, I see that all mentions of any iPad/iPhone/Wii ports have been recently removed from the Puzzle Agent pages. Perhaps it's time to give up waiting and buy the game on PC/Mac?
  • edited August 2010
    fnord wrote: »
    Hm, I see that all mentions of any iPad/iPhone/Wii ports have been recently removed from the Puzzle Agent pages. Perhaps it's time to give up waiting and buy the game on PC/Mac?

I noticed that too. They stopped referring to the Devil's Playhouse being on the iPad as well. If they don't release this game on the iPad/iPhone/Wii like they promised they would, their word doesn't mean anything anymore.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.