The Last Item You Purchased?

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Actually, Thomas Edison didn't invent the first incandescent light bulb. He just invented the most useful one. Humphry Davy was the actual original light bulb inventor. His just wasn't very good. There were twenty-one people inventing light bulbs between him and Edison.

Just saying.
  • edited May 2013
    I'm just saying, "Just because they did it first" is a poor argument for demeaning the value of inventing something. Doing something first IS by itself a quality worth celebrating by itself. Denigrating that by using "just" to pretend the act of inventing how to do open 3D games is in some way no less impressive than just doing "that, but again" is ridiculous. Two things that are exactly the same other than one being the first to ever do what they do are not actually equal things, there's a real false equivalency there.

I'm not arguing that it's not important, I'm not even saying that it's not entertaining. I'm just saying that being first doesn't inherently make it best or most entertaining.
    Actually, Thomas Edison didn't invent the first incandescent light bulb. He just invented the most useful one. Humphry Davy was the actual original light bulb inventor. His just wasn't very good. There were twenty-one people inventing light bulbs between him and Edison.

Just saying.

I really debated whether or not to say "Edison", because I knew someone would say something.
  • edited May 2013
    So an Edison light bulb would be worthless *smashes it*.
  • edited May 2013

Just saying.

I wish I was educated.
  • edited May 2013
    I really debated whether or not to say "Edison", because I knew someone would say something.
    I let it slide because frankly it was beside the point.
  • edited May 2013
    I'm not arguing that it's not important, I'm not even saying that it's not entertaining. I'm just saying that being first doesn't inherently make it best or most entertaining.
    That's what I'm saying.

I was just pointing out that some people (not specifically meaning Dashing) place a lot more weight on originality than I think they should, at the expense of considering other factors.

Now, granted originality is important, or else the market stagnates. But, for example, there's all this complaining about Tomb Raider because people think it an Uncharted clone; nevermind if it's any good.

And also, it's just my opinion, but I don't think Zelda: Majora's Mask is as good a game as Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess (don't hate me, Guru), even though Majora's Mask is a much more original approach to the franchise.
  • edited May 2013
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    And also, it's just my opinion, but I don't think Zelda: Majora's Mask is as good a game as Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess (don't hate me, Guru), even though Majora's Mask is a much more original approach to the franchise.

He's not the one you have to worry about there.
  • edited May 2013
    Chyron8472 wrote: »

I wouldn't call Majora's Mask better or worse than Ocarina of Time. Just different. It's a damn fine game, quite possibly my favorite Zelda, but I have to be in a different sort of mood to play it.
  • edited May 2013
    header_586x192.jpg?t=1353965149
  • edited May 2013
    bQXeMwH.jpg

$5

uyPsxZO.jpg

$2

zCsn2ZA.jpg?1

$20
  • edited May 2013
    header.jpg
  • edited May 2013
    250px-Amped_3_cover.jpg 256px-Midtown_Madness_3_Coverart.png
  • edited May 2013
    Amped 3 is a great game mainly because of the brilliant cut-scenes...
  • edited May 2013
    So I hear. Worth £3.50 of anyone's money.

Also, I got this on eBay this morning:

Dead+Mans+Hand.jpg

Under £2? Sold.
  • edited May 2013
    I collect Jurassic Park items. I just got The Lost World Mobile Command Center off of Ebay. It's missing a few parts, but I got it for a decent price. Most of the time it exceeds 200 dollars and I'm not willing to pay that much for it. lol
  • edited May 2013
    Bought Kotor 2 for steam but it isn't working...
    :mad:
  • edited May 2013
    Hudomonkey wrote: »
    Bought Kotor 2 for steam but it isn't working...
    :mad:

May we help you?
    have you verified the game cache files?
    what are your specs (don't think it's your specs. This ran on my 2003 PC).
  • edited May 2013
    I think it is a known problem...
    There are a lot of other people in the Steam community with the same problem...

I have an Intel I5 core Acer laptop with 4 gig ram...
    Hopefully I will find a fix that works I only really bought it to play the Restored Content mod as I still have my old Xbox copy...
  • edited May 2013
    I'm guessing Intel HD 3000 then? I have a lot of games that won't run with that. Integrated video cards often aren't very good for gaming, even with older games. It's why bought a laptop with a dedicated card when I replaced my old laptop a year ago.
  • edited May 2013
    Intel HD 4000
  • edited May 2013
    Same problem though. What's good about those is that they have low power consumption and make little noise and heat, but I've had a lot of problems getting games to run decent or at all with my HD 2000 and 3000.
  • edited May 2013
    Only thing is it doesn't even get past the Obsidian logo and as a lot of people picked up on Star wars day I can see I'm not the only one with this problem...
  • edited May 2013
    Hudomonkey wrote: »
    Only thing is it doesn't even get past the Obsidian logo and as a lot of people picked up on Star wars day I can see I'm not the only one with this problem...

Your problem is that you are trying to run a game with a GPU that was designed around Office programs and maybe those fancy visual plugins for Mediaplayer.
  • edited May 2013
    Laptops don't last forever, but you've probably still got the game when it's time to replace your computer. Yeah, it sucks that you can't play it now, but lappies with dedicated video cards have become pretty cheap over the past couple of years, so it's definitely something worth concidering next time.

My current laptop has an Intel/Nvidia combo with Optimus technology and I've got to say I'm extremely satisfied with it even after a year. And it only cost me about $800. Since the Steam Linux beta began it's even become very decent for Linux gaming, due to stuff like optirun and primusrun.

I understand your frustration, but it's a pretty cheap game, and you're probably going to enjoy it as much in a few years as you would have now.
  • edited May 2013
    I'm not sure if it is my problem there seem to be a lot of people with a lot more powerful machines who are having the same problem...
  • edited May 2013
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    Your problem is that you are trying to run a game with a GPU that was designed around Office programs and maybe those fancy visual plugins for Mediaplayer.
    The HD 4000 is actually surprisingly capable for an integrated card. My sister's laptop has it, and she's able to play most console ports on it just fine(she just played through Arkham City). She's not playing these on the highest settings or anything, but medium graphics I believe roughly match console performance these days.
  • edited May 2013
    Fixed the problem after downloading mods and fiddling with the .ini files...
  • edited May 2013
    White Town: Women In Technology / CD
    894263_1369901822.jpg
    http://www.musik-sammler.de/media/894263
  • edited May 2013
    A couple of things for Father's Day, and a couple more XBox Classic (since I can't call it the XBox 1 any more, grr grr) games that I probably paid too much for but who cares, I needed cheering up.
  • edited May 2013
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhi9JzihWU2p04HzS7egnkOeInQnKSk9Q6LWIqPy87tP5CJ1fN
    Because I think 12 years is long enough to wait.

Seriously, when the oracle games first came out, I assumed they were just like Pokemon red/blue. The same, but slightly different. So I bought ages, and spent all my money on some other game. Thunderbirds, I think (eugh, that game was awful.) It wasn't until months later that I learnt the truth.

Oh, and it's £4something on the 3DS eShop.
  • edited May 2013
    I'm so glad I don't have a 3DS then. I'd buy so much stuff there.
  • edited May 2013
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    I'm so glad I don't have a 3DS then. I'd buy so much stuff there.

The only thing that is stopping me buying loads of stuff is that the store keeps on crashing. Seriously, it took me 12 attempts to buy and download Oracle of Seasons this morning. 12!
  • edited May 2013
    Friar wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhi9JzihWU2p04HzS7egnkOeInQnKSk9Q6LWIqPy87tP5CJ1fN
    Because I think 12 years is long enough to wait.

Seriously, when the oracle games first came out, I assumed they were just like Pokemon red/blue. The same, but slightly different. So I bought ages, and spent all my money on some other game. Thunderbirds, I think (eugh, that game was awful.) It wasn't until months later that I learnt the truth.

Oh, and it's £4something on the 3DS eShop.

I'm skipping it because Seasons/Ages/Link to the Past are the only Zelda games I ever completed! XD
  • edited May 2013
    header_586x192.jpg?t=1356977123
  • edited May 2013
    ftlbanner-2.jpg
  • edited May 2013
    fig,black,longsleeve,ffffff.u3.jpg
    That will show you inventory snobs.
  • edited May 2013
    I can't use that.
  • edited May 2013
    Wow, coolsome. All the stuff you post in this thread, and you've finally managed to hit on something that makes me jealous. I'd be more jealous if it was short sleeve, though.
  • edited June 2013
    Wow, coolsome. All the stuff you post in this thread, and you've finally managed to hit on something that makes me jealous. I'd be more jealous if it was short sleeve, though.

Use>Scissors>Shirt
  • edited June 2013
    Friar wrote: »
    Use>Scissors>Shirt

While I appreciate your adventure game logic, I'm pretty sure that no combination of items in my inventory will make a serger to make those nice hemmed edges.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.