Tycho's voice

So... Jerry Holkins, right? Do you think he's perfect, or will he be chosen just so that all the fans don't complain?

How do you imagine Tycho's voice sound? I always imagine him sounding like Randal from Clerks.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    I seem to imagine him having Guybrush's voice.
  • edited September 2010

That's how I picture Gabe!
  • edited September 2010
    As far as I'm convinced, Jerry Holkins is the only person who should ever voice Tycho. If Gabe appeared in this game: Mike Krahulik, natch.

If you're a fan of PA, you've probably listened to the audio podcasts and watched the documentary series. Mike and Jerry are Gabe and Tycho. The characters are so inseparable from their creators that it would just seem off to hear someone else voicing them.

If Jerry's not interested, I certainly wouldn't object to Tycho just speaking in word balloons, a la the two PA RPGs. If anything, large floating blocks of text would give Max or the Heavy something else to riddle with bullet holes.
  • edited September 2010
    joshuadel wrote: »
    If you're a fan of PA, you've probably listened to the audio podcasts and watched the documentary series. Mike and Jerry are Gabe and Tycho. The characters are so inseparable from their creators that it would just seem off to hear someone else voicing them.

Yeah, I've listened to their D&D podcast. They were pretty spot on.
  • edited September 2010
    Who said he was getting a voiceover? He'll probably get comic blurbs appearing over his head.
  • edited September 2010
    I don't know about using Jerry for this. I listened to the audio podcasts for a while, and while I had no trouble accepting their voices as the voices of the writers, I definitely still have very different voices in my mind for the characters. I always imagine Tycho's voice to be quite a bit deeper than Jerry's.
  • edited September 2010
    ^ Likewise.

Considering we have yet to see Tycho's model OR hear his voice, it seems he'll be the character fans will devote the most attention to over the coming months...
  • edited September 2010
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I listened to the audio podcasts for a while, and while I had no trouble accepting their voices as the voices of the writers, I definitely still have very different voices in my mind for the characters.

Well, each reader imagines them differently. So Telltale really can't win. All they can do is use Jerry Holkins so that fans will complain less. I heard his voice too, and it's a bit different than what I imagine Tycho to sound.
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah I definitely won't complain if it's Jerry, as that's the most straightforward choice, but I also won't complain if they use an actor as long as the voice reasonably fits the character's appearance and personality, and I think I'd prefer the latter myself, is all I'm sayin'
  • edited September 2010
    xbskid wrote: »
    Who said he was getting a voiceover? He'll probably get comic blurbs appearing over his head.
    Wired wrote:
    The fully voiced characters will trash-talk, display unique tells and react dynamically to the game — promising to create a new experience every time.

Source: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/09/poker-night-at-the-inventory/#more-28268
  • edited September 2010
    He'll be voiced by Andrew Chaikin/Kid Beyond, who also voiced a bunch of Tales of Monkey Island characters, including De Cava, Bugeye and McGillicutty. And he was the Narrator and the alien brain in The Devil's Playhouse, and Max in the first episode of Sam & Max season 1.

I'm pretty sure they were all him, but I'm not certain.
  • edited September 2010
    That'll be interesting to see.
  • edited September 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    He'll be voiced by Andrew Chaikin/Kid Beyond, who also voiced a bunch of Tales of Monkey Island characters, including De Cava, Bugeye and McGillicutty. And he was the Narrator and the alien brain in The Devil's Playhouse, and Max in the first episode of Sam & Max season 1.

I'm pretty sure they were all him, but I'm not certain.

Geez, nobody seems to catch the fact that Andrew was Papierwaite too.
  • edited September 2010
    Right. I haven't got the voice actors for season 3 memorised yet.

I'm not being snide, I usually do memorise the voice actors of things I like. I think he was one of the molemen in the room with the toybox as well?
  • edited September 2010
    Yup, he was. And don't worry, I do the same with VAs too.
  • edited September 2010
    Yay! I can't think of a better guy than Andrew, his range is amazing!
  • edited September 2010
    YES
  • edited September 2010
    If it's similar to his Bugeye voice, I'd say that's pretty much perfect. Even if not, I'm sure it'll be great.
  • edited September 2010
    I'd like to point this out for the Coulton fans out there (*cough*ringmaster*cough*)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfzIwn5a238
  • edited September 2010
    I just watched a video of a Scottish guy reading Tycho's lines from the Precipice of Darkness games. Now, when I'm reading the comics, I hear a Scottish accent whenever Tycho speaks. It's weird.
  • edited September 2010
    Huh, so Tycho'll be voiced by Andrew Chaikin.

I'm not complaining.
  • edited September 2010
    LuigiHann wrote: »

Thanks for getting that stuck in my head!
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2010
    I'd like to point this out for the Coulton fans out there (*cough*ringmaster*cough*)

Oh hey, I was at that show!
  • edited September 2010

Already saw(and linked) to that performace:
    Caeska should be banned for not watching the following Kid Beyond videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01d1zsY4mCc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEbRi4Djd3I
  • edited September 2010

Oh, way to go. That's all I have in my head now.
  • edited November 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6HN3TsI8cw

There he is! Sounds fine to me. I pictured his voice slightly deeper overall, but it all works out since his voice goes deeper when he goes into "dungeon master" voice mode like I would have expected
  • edited November 2010
    I know the votes are pretty split on this issue, but I've always been *firmly* in the camp of "they sound just like Mike and Jerry."

I just created an account here solely to unleash my misery at their decision to go with Not-Jerry-Voice. Gaze upon my pain and despair!

Okay, maybe it's just me despairing.

I'm still glad he's in the game; the voice just feels...off...to me.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2010
    RollToDont wrote: »
    I know the votes are pretty split on this issue, but I've always been *firmly* in the camp of "they sound just like Mike and Jerry."

I just created an account here solely to unleash my misery at their decision to go with Not-Jerry-Voice. Gaze upon my pain and despair!

Okay, maybe it's just me despairing.

I'm still glad he's in the game; the voice just feels...off...to me.

There's basically no way to make everyone happy with the voice for Tycho, since some people picture Jerry himself, and those that have never heard Jerry's voice or think of Tycho as his own character with his own voice, I'm sure have their own infinite number of other voices they hear in their head when reading. That said, given the near infinite ways that guy could sound when voiced, by and large people have been more accepting than I was expecting. I hope that even though it's not initially to your liking, you'll at least be able to appreciate it as an interpretation when you're playing the game, and don't spend the whole time grating your teeth or something :)
  • edited November 2010
    I haven't really heard enough to go one way or the other on it, but the fact that the two sound bites we have don't immediately feel painful to my ears is a very, very good starting point. I'm pretty sure I'll at the very least tolerate the voice, and in all likelihood I'll really like it.
  • JubJub
    edited November 2010
    Judging from the few lines in the trailer, I have to say Andrew does a great job voicing Tycho. I never really had a standard idea for how Tycho would sound while reading the comics, but I think he does Tycho's voice perfectly.
  • edited November 2010
    Personally, I don't really read the Penny Arcade comics that often. Now that I have seen the Poker Night trailer though, everytime I read one of the comics, it is in that voice. So for me, the voice is good.
  • edited November 2010
    well he doesn't sound like i pictured him although in that scene he is sort of joking around instead of being angry and annoyed at gabe.
  • edited November 2010
    I don't mind his voice actually. It doesn't sound like what I read his voice to sound like (did that make any sense?), but it is still good. Perfect voice for me, can't wait to hear more of his lines!
  • edited November 2010
    I like the voice, i just wanna seen with him being angry, like a strong bad vs tycho delema.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2010
    koiboi59 wrote: »
    I like the voice, i just wanna seen with him being angry, like a strong bad vs tycho delema.

That happens. Those guys don't get along.
  • edited November 2010
    While not being the voice I hear in my head when I read the comic, I'm actually really enjoying how Tycho sounds. (Then again, I imagine Tycho with a Samuel L. Jackson-meets-American-Hugh Laurie-meets-Tim Curry kind of voice. I don't know how it works. It just does.) Like, it seems natural, and thank God it's not overly geekified and/or G4-ified. Not to mention I'm in the "Tycho Brahe does not always equal Jerry Holkins" camp, too.

By the way, did anyone else know that Andrew Chaikin/Kid Beyond was in American McGee's Alice? He was the White Rabbit, the Mad Hatter, and the...Dormouse, I think?
  • JubJub
    edited November 2010
    OttersPod wrote: »
    (Then again, I imagine Tycho with a Samuel L. Jackson-meets-American-Hugh Laurie-meets-Tim Curry kind of voice. I don't know how it works. It just does.)

^This

I can't even imagine how that combination would sound.
  • edited November 2010
    Jub wrote: »
    ^This

I can't even imagine how that combination would sound.

Too awesome. Headphone blowing up, universe tearing awesome.
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah, I'll have to echo earlier sentiments about being surprised that what we've heard of Tycho's voice being so well received, but on my end it does sound very very close to how I pictured it.

I was infinitely curious how they'd have handled the voice when he was announced for this game, and I think so far you guys (or well, his voice actor) delivered from that one line in the trailer.
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah, quite happy with the choice for Tycho's voice, but in a way, I still wish there were an option to turn it off.

Don't get me wrong. The chemistry between characters will work much better with them all shouting at each other across the table (which is pretty much the reason why it's a well justified poker game), but Tycho is a character that I've been reading since 2003 (I know, the comic has been around longer, but I didn't have the internet until that year), and he's always spoken in a dialogue balloon to me, even in Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness. Naturally that lets me put whatever voice my subconscious calls up for him, and has done so for years.

However, I'm still looking forward to the game, and won't be crushed if they don't have this sort of option (and I don't really expect it anyway).

I imagine people who managed to get their hands on Sam and Max before the original game or TV series would have similar feelings about Max. I never played TF1, but the Heavy probably didn't have a voice then either, so Strong Bad's pretty much the only one here that this protest can't be made against, so for the sake of fairness, I've taken a lot of words to say that I'm opinionated but not bothered.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.