The Second Great Monkey Island Race of 2010

It's that time again...

Dates and Times

The race is set to take place from December 19th to January 15th. This race is four weeks long both to compensate for people's scheduling conflicts and so people can participate in both this and the concurrent Sam & Max race. If this is still not enough time, I'm willing to extend the races up to the entire two months of December and January if necessary.

Participants will set their own race times and race on their own schedule during the week. Approximate race times will be submitted to me so I can try and draw up a viewing schedule, as well as to make it easier for me to keep track of what times to document.

Broadcasting and Documenting

Documentation in the form of a post in this thread at the start and end of each game (or chapter of Tales) is required. This is how I will record times and determine winners. If you wish, you may time yourself and submit times along with your "finished" posts.

To clarify: If you do not post in this thread at the start and finish of each game, I cannot record your times.

In the past, a few of us broadcasted our races on Livestream, and it was a lot of fun, both for us and the people watching. However, this can cause sluggish performance in some games and can be difficult to make work with others, so if you prefer you can also provide updates on your progress over Twitter, post in this thread, or even come to one of the Livestreams and chat with everyone. What's fun about this is the added community element. If you choose to document, please provide a link to where you will be documenting and an estimated time (and time zone) that you will begin playing each game so I can add where and when to watch next to your name on the entrants list.

If anyone's interested in using Livestream and needs help, feel free to ask. Several of us have experience with it from previous races and will be happy to help.

Rules

Currently, these rules are mostly unaltered from the last race. If anyone has any ideas on how to improve them, let me know.

It is required that you play all five games in the series in order. Sequence breaking is not allowed. You must play Secret, Lechuck's Revenge, Curse, Escape, Narwhal, Spinner Cay, Leviathan, Trial and Execution, and Pirate God in that order.

Both editions of The Secret of Monkey Island are allowed.

LeChuck's Revenge and its Special Edition cannot be timed fairly against each other, so for this race we will be using the Special Edition. However, if you absolutely do not have access to the Special Edition, you may use the original version and add a five minute penalty to your time.

If you are using LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition, you must switch to classic mode to watch the opening credits.

The hint feature is not allowed.

In games that feature voice acting, voices must be enabled.

LeChuck's Revenge and Curse must be played in not-Lite and Mega Monkey modes.

If you choose to play the original version of The Secret of Monkey Island, text speed must be set to default settings +1 (or two below the maximum). If you choose to play the Special Edition, you must switch over to classic and set the text speed to maximum. However, if you play Special Edition in classic mode, the same rules apply as if you were playing the original version. The original version of LeChuck's Revenge is to be played at the same text speed as the original version of Secret.

The double-click room teleport in Curse and the room exit button in Escape are allowed.

Skipping dialogue or cutscenes is not allowed. Bypassing optional dialogue is allowed, but once a dialogue option is picked, you must let it play out uninterrupted. There is an exception for accidentally picking an identical dialogue section a second time (especially in Tales).

The credits count as a cutscene. You're finished with a game when you see "Turn off your computer and go to bed", "Turn off your computer and do something constructive", when Curse auto-quits, when Escape's credits stop rolling, and when the Tales episodes return to their menus. In SoMI:SE, you can stop timing when the classic mode credits reach "Turn off your computer and go to bed". In MI2:SE, you're done when the credits reach the end.

Since the Special Edition credits are longer, you can consider yourself finished when the original version credits finish if you are playing that version. However, you'll either have to self-time or alt-tab out of the game, as these games don't let you return to the menu during the credits.

There is a possible glitch in LeChuck's Revenge where the skeletons will get stuck in a dancing animation during the bone song if you've adjusted the text speed. If this happens to you during the race, you may wait until the bone song music ends and then press Esc to continue the race.

It is strongly recommended that you play the patched version of Escape from Monkey Island. The patch corrects several potential problems with the game that could completely upset a race run. The patch can be found on the LucasArts website, or can be downloaded through Quick and Easy's EMI Setup program or EMI Launcher.

Saving the game during the race is allowed, and may be a good idea in case of a game crash (though I only see that as being likely to happen in Escape). Loading saves made during the race is fine (but other than a crash, why would you want to?). If your game crashes and you haven't saved, er...I really have no idea what happens then.

The use of saves made outside the game is only allowed if the saves strictly take you to a previous point in the game. That is, you may not gain any new inventory or bypass any puzzles, even if you also lose inventory and puzzles become unsolved. If the save has the exact same inventory and solved puzzles or fewer, you may use it.

Certain puzzles in Escape from Monkey Island cause problems on certain PCs. The use of previously made saves in order to advance the game is allowed as long as it is only for the following problems:
The game locks up when the chess players start fighting.
The raft locks up when Guybrush tries to disembark at Pegnose Pete's.
The timing for the boulder puzzle is incorrect because you have a faster PC.
You may NOT use it to skip Monkey Kombat.
If you need to make use of this rule, please try to make sure of where you are in the game ahead of time. I know that last time, I accidentally skipped picking up the chicken grease and whacking Herman with the coconut but also had to pick up the Eau de LeChuck twice, so I'll be trying not to make those mistakes again.
Feel free to suggest any other situations where a problem with the game necessitates the use of saves.

If you should load a saved game for any reason, you may not reuse an old Monkey Kombat chart.

Since we're splitting the race apart, the winner will be determined by time. Time will be determined by forum posts made at the start and finish of each game.

Each player is allowed two do-overs. If you don't like one of your times, you may elect to try that game again. You may only redo each game once. Note that this only applies to completed runs. If you play a game over and do worse, your best time will be kept.

Prizes

Maybe. Not likely.

Participants and Broadcast Info

All start times are estimated and subject to change. All times listed are GMT.

GuruGuru214 - http://livestream.com/guruguru214

OzzieMonkey - http://www.livestream.com/ozziemonkeycast

apenpaap - http://www.livestream.com/apenpaap

monkeymovies - http://www.livestream.com/monkeymovies

Mandahaya - http://www.livestream.com/mandahaya

Blooglspash - http://www.livestream.com/blooglspash

Lennie Melvin

tbm1986 - http://www.livestream.com/tbm1986.

alkapel - http://www.livestream.com/alkapel

Times

GuruGuru214

OzzieMonkey
The Secret of Monkey Island: 2:11
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: 2:07
The Curse of Monkey Island: 2:32
Escape from Monkey Island: 3:28
Launch of the Screaming Narwhal: 1:06
The Siege of Spinner Cay: 1:07
Lair of the Leviathan: 1:18
The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood: 1:18
Rise of the Pirate God: 1:28
Total LucasArts: 10:18
Total Tales: 6:17
Final Time: 16:35

apenpaap
The Secret of Monkey Island: 2:10
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: 2:55
The Curse of Monkey Island: 2:55
Escape from Monkey Island: 4:20
Launch of the Screaming Narwhal: 1:18
The Siege of Spinner Cay: 1:21
Lair of the Leviathan: 1:29
The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood: 1:30
Rise of the Pirate God: 1:48

Total LucasArts: 12:20

monkeymovies
The Secret of Monkey Island: 2:20
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: 2:15
The Curse of Monkey Island: 2:54
Escape from Monkey Island: 4:46
Launch of the Screaming Narwhal: 1:25
The Siege of Spinner Cay: 1:18
Lair of the Leviathan: 1:23
The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood: 1:31
Rise of the Pirate God: 1:37
Total LucasArts: 12:15
Total Tales: 7:14
Final Time: 19:29

Mandahaya

Blooglspash

Lennie Melvin

The Highway

tbm1986
The Secret of Monkey Island: 2:54
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: 2:36
The Curse of Monkey Island: 3:15
Escape from Monkey Island: 4:19
Launch of the Screaming Narwhal: 1:25
The Siege of Spinner Cay: 1:22
Lair of the Leviathan: 1:51
The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood: 1:46
Rise of the Pirate God: 2:08
Total LucasArts: 13:04
Total Tales: 8:32
Final Time: 21:36

alkapel
The Secret of Monkey Island: 2:50
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: 2:40
The Curse of Monkey Island: 2:48
Escape from Monkey Island: 4:10
Launch of the Screaming Narwhal: 1:16
The Siege of Spinner Cay: 1:13
Lair of the Leviathan: 1:24
The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood: 1:31
Rise of the Pirate God: 1:36
Total LucasArts: 12:28
Total Tales: 7:00
Final Time: 19:28

Achievements

Fastest time on The Secret of Monkey Island:
Fastest time on Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge:
Fastest time on The Curse of Monkey Island:
Fastest time on Escape from Monkey Island:
Fastest LucasArts time:
Fastest time on Launch of the Screaming Narwhal:
Fastest time on The Siege of Spinner Cay:
Fastest time on Lair of the Leviathan:
Fastest time on The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood:
Fastest time on Rise of the Pirate God:
Fastest time on Tales of Monkey Island:
Fastest time:
First finisher: alkapel
Most endurance (longest time on Escape from Monkey Island without giving up):
Most stick-to-itiveness (overcame overwhelming odds to finish):
Closest competitors:

After the Race

You didn't think the race was over when the last person finishes Rise of the Pirate God, did you? As sort of a celebration, nine of us will be choosing one game and streaming it again after the race, this time for fun and taking suggestions from the audience. We'll be going through all the jokes we skipped over during the race, so it should be a good time!

Between now and the end of the race, everyone can sign up for one game to play through for fun after the race. This is an audience participation sort of thing, so being able to broadcast on Livestream, Ustream, or a similar site is a must. Once we start getting closer to the end of the race, if all the slots aren't filled, I'll be opening it up for people to sign up for a second game. For now, this is only open to race participants, to make sure nobody competing gets aced out. This is an event celebrating the end of the race, after all. I'll open it up to everyone else closer to race day.

We'll be determining dates and times after the race is over. The games will be played in order, so we'll be taking turns to decide when to play each of our games.

Since the fun runs sort of fell through for the last race, the participants who were signed up last time have first dibs on their old spot. Right now I'm opening up all the spots for volunteers, but know that I may bump you if that person wants their spot again. If your name is listed with a strikethrough, let me know if you still want that spot and I'll unstrike you.

The Secret of Monkey Island: chyron8472 The Highway
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge: OzzieMonkey
The Curse of Monkey Island: GuruGuru214
Escape from Monkey Island: Mandahaya
Launch of the Screaming Narwhal:
The Siege of Spinner Cay: hamza721
Lair of the Leviathan: apenpaap
The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood: Blooglspash
Rise of the Pirate God: doodinthemood

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I'm in, and my stream is still at http://www.livestream.com/apenpaap
  • edited October 2010
    Wow, this is the second Greatest Monkey Island Race I've ever seen!
    (Sorry, I just had to say it. :D)

In any case, I would have participated if I could participate only in one game, but I probably will watch the race as it progresses. Early good luck for those who will participate, though.
  • edited October 2010
    how can you do this one while you are still doing the sam and max races
  • edited October 2010
    YEAH! I'm in! Was hoping one of these would turn up soon.
    Should be fine for any dates, but don't drop me a random one yet.

Aww...no LR:SE? :(
  • edited October 2010
    seibert999 wrote: »
    how can you do this one while you are still doing the sam and max races

Magic. Clearly Guru is an incredible wizard who can start the thread for a race that's gonna be in December while he's still running another race.

Guru, is there anything I can do to help make Revenge: SE playable in the race?
  • edited October 2010
    apenpaap wrote: »
    Magic. Clearly Guru is an incredible wizard who can start the thread for a race that's gonna be in December while he's still running another race.

Guru, is there anything I can do to help make Revenge: SE playable in the race?

but they are set at the same time
  • edited October 2010
    It's not like I can't keep track of times on both races at the same time. The reason I scheduled them together is because I wanted both of them during the time when as many people as possible are on break. The reason I scheduled them for an entire month is so that people who want to do both will have time to do both. There's no reason multiple races can't be going on at the same time.

apenpaap, the best thing you can do is exactly what I'm doing. Create a path through the game and follow it as strictly as you can through both versions and keep track of your time. Compare the two and try and find what areas are causing the times to be different. If I can come up with a reliable way to adjust MI2:SE times, we can allow it in the race. Otherwise it's going to have to be saved for the fun run.
  • edited October 2010
    It's not like I can't keep track of times on both races at the same time. The reason I scheduled them together is because I wanted both of them during the time when as many people as possible are on break. The reason I scheduled them for an entire month is so that people who want to do both will have time to do both. There's no reason multiple races can't be going on at the same time.

apenpaap, the best thing you can do is exactly what I'm doing. Create a path through the game and follow it as strictly as you can through both versions and keep track of your time. Compare the two and try and find what areas are causing the times to be different. If I can come up with a reliable way to adjust MI2:SE times, we can allow it in the race. Otherwise it's going to have to be saved for the fun run.

Well, we could make it a rule for people to be playing the patched version of the game (although I don't see why people wouldn't have already had the game patched, unless they aren't playing the Steam version), which fixed the timing issues and added the intro, which would make the game match up to the classic game a lot more.
  • edited October 2010
    Well, that's one thing. Anyone doing identical runs of both games should switch into classic mode for the intro, and if the game is allowed, that'll be a rule. I wish they'd added the intro to SE mode, though.
  • edited October 2010
    i can not be able to do it because i dont have curse
  • edited October 2010
    Woo! I think you can count me in. Since I probably won't have to go anywhere on vacation over the holidays (I never do) I shouldn't have that many problems to get to do my thing this time. Still I'd have two months to get it over with, so I'm really hoping this will work out better then.

Plus, if nobody wants to play Escape for the fun runs, consider me still willing to do so. Except you want to miss out on +14 hours of my sheer stupidity. :D
  • edited October 2010
    There is absolutely no way that I am not doing this. Count me in! I'm not sure about the Sam and Max race though...
  • edited October 2010
    I'm in! I'm not sure about broadcasting yet but I'm definitely in :)
  • edited October 2010
    yep, im in. http://www.livestream.com/highwaymirace2010

oh, and can I book the fun playing of the secret of monkey island?
  • edited October 2010
    If Chyron doesn't show up asking for it, it's yours. Too lazy to update the OP right now, though. I'll probably be getting up to date on both races tomorrow.

I may be lazy, but at least I admit it, right?
  • edited October 2010
    I call Curse for the For-Fun playthroughs, then.
  • edited October 2010
    It's already been called.
  • edited October 2010
    i wish i could do the race but i cannot get curse or escape
  • edited October 2010
    That's a shame.
  • edited October 2010
    I call on Monkey 2 for the fun run!
  • edited October 2010
    ooh, im they only one without a livestream... i dont think my pc could handle it thou :/
  • edited October 2010
    i wish i could do the race but i cannot get curse or escape

Why can't you? I'm going to use my Christmas money to get the games. The race does not start until December, so you've got time.
  • edited October 2010
    I call Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood, then!
  • edited October 2010
    Aww man, I was hoping nobody was gonna take that one and I could snag it when I open up seconds again. Since Curse was your first choice and I did get to do a fun run of Curse (albeit a really huge pain in the ass one with my old internet), I might be willing to trade you. I'll think about it and we'll see closer to the race. For now, Trial is yours.
  • edited October 2010
    Why can't you? I'm going to use my Christmas money to get the games. The race does not start until December, so you've got time.

how do you even get them
  • edited October 2010
    how do you even get them

Ebay or Amazon.
  • edited October 2010
    should i get the computer or the PS2
  • edited October 2010
    I'm in.

http://www.livestream.com/tbm1986

One question: do ScummVM or DOSBox use DirectX (which is what LS locks onto for games)? If not, streaming the desktop for me.

Also, I think I have EfMI installed on this PC but I know I've never played it on it. I'm running Vista x64, if that helps anticipate problems.
  • edited December 2010
    We're two weeks away from the start of both races, so I think it's time to drag the threads back up out of obscurity.
  • edited December 2010
    Yay! Back to being a pesky cheerleader again!
  • edited December 2010
    My broadband is being updated to cable soon hopefully if it gets updated before the race I can stream otherwise I will just be watching, or maybe ill play and just post my times.
  • edited December 2010
    I

LeChuck's Revenge: Special Edition is currently not allowed in this race (though I'm working on it). However, if you absolutely do not have access to the original game, you may use the Special Edition and you will be granted a five minute handicap.

does anybody not have LeChucks revenge special edition?
  • edited December 2010
    hamza721 wrote: »
    does anybody not have LeChucks revenge special edition?

I don't have it. ^^

Since we're getting closer and closer to the start of the race, I'll take care to get the block uninstalled for the time of the race to have less problems than last time. But technically, for me participating after all, there should be nothing much in the way.
  • edited December 2010
    Well guys, I'm sorry to say that I've been slacking off. After the last race, I put figuring out the SE discrepancy on the back burner...and left it there. Honestly, this race totally snuck up on me. There's really no way I'm going to have enough time in the next week to figure the whole thing out, so I'm going to have to outlaw MI2:SE from this race as well.
  • edited December 2010
    Personally, I'll be using the SE even if it puts me at a disadvantage. It's simply more fun.
  • edited December 2010
    Well guys, I'm sorry to say that I've been slacking off. After the last race, I put figuring out the SE discrepancy on the back burner...and left it there. Honestly, this race totally snuck up on me. There's really no way I'm going to have enough time in the next week to figure the whole thing out, so I'm going to have to outlaw MI2:SE from this race as well.

That's the only one I have...
  • edited December 2010
    I'd like to forfeit the race and fun run. I'm afraid I'll be traveling and won't have time to do this. Besides, I don't think you want me to do another fun run after the Hit the Road fiasco.
    That's the only one I have...

Three words: Monkey Island Explorer. The only problem I have with it is that the sound effects are missing, but that won't affect the race.
  • edited December 2010
    Ok, cool, we're back!
    It looks like I can race from the 3rd January 2011 (Monday) to 9th January (Sunday) if that's cool, thanks.

How did it go before? Secret, Revenge, Curse, Escape on 4 different days, then 2 episodes of Tales on another day, then 2 more Tales on another, then Pirate God on the last day?
  • edited December 2010
    Ok, cool, we're back!
    It looks like I can race from the 3rd January 2011 (Monday) to 9th January (Sunday) if that's cool, thanks.

How did it go before? Secret, Revenge, Curse, Escape on 4 different days, then 2 episodes of Tales on another day, then 2 more Tales on another, then Pirate God on the last day?

I think we're allowed to do it anyway we want. In fact, I remember people claiming they would do all 5 games in one day in the previous race.
  • edited December 2010
    Mandahaya wrote: »
    I don't have it. ^^

Since we're getting closer and closer to the start of the race, I'll take care to get the block uninstalled for the time of the race to have less problems than last time. But technically, for me participating after all, there should be nothing much in the way.

well if theres only one person that doesn't have lechucks revenge special edition then we can still use the special edition times and just add to those who dont have it
Sign in to comment in this discussion.