IGN First Look/ FIRST SCREENSHOTS!

13»

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Marty's outfit is cool, but I wouldn't mind different costumes for him through the game.

Marty changes a LOT in the movies, to suit the time periods (or the action).

Do I have to remind you guys of the epic future jacket ? I want to be able to change my outfit a few times in the game !
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    And I am fairly sure that Marty will change outfits.
    I mean, TellTale tries to stay true to the licence as much as possible right?
    Marty shouldn't be wearing those clothes in 1931.
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah that would avoid things like "Whats with the life-preserver kid? did you jump ship?" or "dork think he's gonna drown" :D
  • edited November 2010
    Though, since they're obviously doing everything they can on the lightning and animation and overall atmosphere, I'm pretty sure Marty won't change his outfit, even in the 1931's .

At least not in episode 1 :/ .. But on another hand, it's 3D not 2D, I guess the animations would be exactly the same (for exemple if he just removes his red jacket) . Stays with his red T-shirt or just the blue shirt could be OK . (Better actually :D )

So it's do-able.
  • edited November 2010
    The 3d models of Marty looks good while Doc is okay, though I can't really judge since it is only one screenshot; he prb looks better in a less expressive gesture, like in the 2d art. Hopefully, the non-parimary characters are designed with the same calibur as these two. No offense to TT, but the stock human characters in TOMI (as well, as the fat foreign guy in S&M season 3, which uses the same TOMI model) were pretty bland and generic-looking; I cannot believe that before TOMI came out, one fans was very vocal that the TOMI character designs were a lot better than that of Punch Out Wii.

I hope they don't reuse the tall and slim and fat and stubby models for this game.
  • edited November 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    Do you really think that when you're about to design a game like BTTF, you won't come up with the idea/option to play as Doc Brown as well and that for some reasons they decided against it?

Well, they MIGHT not have ever considered playing as Doc. After all, for most of the series, Marty's the protagonist, and Doc is the mentor. You wouldn't necessarily expect to play as Obi-Wan in a game based on the original Star Wars trilogy, would you?

Anyway. Really enjoying the screenshots. Excited beyond belief. :D
  • edited November 2010
    I'm just hoping the models can be extracted to use in Garry's Mod.

Think of all the abu..errr...wonderful things that could come out of that!
  • edited November 2010
    I also don't think it would be fun to play as Doc.
    He is a great character but the thing BttF also rode on is people getting to relate with the characters.
    What was fun in the trilogy is that together with Marty you learned what time-travel was all about, the consequences and such.

If you would play as Doc it would feel you were being guided rather than actually being him. Doc is far more knowledged in time-traveling and thus if you would want to do something stupid and screw up the timeline he would prevent you from doing it.
    And if he didn't then the character would be done injustice.

Playing as Marty and having Doc as your mentor is definitely the best way to appreciate both characters.

/discussion

EDIT: Think about this for a while.
    How much solo-screen time did Doc have throughout the movies?
    1. Almost none. I only recollect the clocktower part.
    2. None new sequences. Again the clocktower part
    3. In three he had some because the movie was centered around him.
    Still, he didn't have more than Marty.
  • edited November 2010
    @doggans
    In a theoretical sense there MIGHT exist a chance that this assumption is true but the possibility for it is worse than that you'll find the Nelsons, a with bavarian accent jiggling family of gravitation waves, making holidays in your left pocket.
  • edited November 2010
    There was also the part where doc was riding the bicycle searching for marty and he had those new clothes on even with the labels on it, the part where he said "marty marty.. damn where is that kid". at biffs moms garage i believe..

even between part 1 and 2 of the movies doc's already been to the future and see marty's kids in danger, but you don't see that in the movie too, he just appears and say "marty its about your kids etc". the story truly involves around Marty.

but your right, not much where u see doc alone.. like i said before.. doc can only be used for fixing stuff.. or just yell stressfully to marty about all the constant dangers going on all the time..
  • edited November 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    but the possibility for it is worse than that you'll find the Nelsons, a with bavarian accent jiggling family of gravitation waves, making holidays in your left pocket.

I have no idea what this sentence means, but I feel like its concept could be developed into an awesome Adult Swim show.
  • edited November 2010
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I still find it a tad disconcerting that they're both dressed exactly like they were in the parking lot sequence from the first movie. Hopefully that gives way to period-specific costumes fairly early on.

Still, overall it looks very promising, can't wait to see it in action. The style makes me happy.

There are absolutely period-appropriate costumes in the game.
  • edited November 2010
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!

I already suspected as much. But a confirmation is always welcome. :D

Marty in gangster outfit. I am calling it
  • edited November 2010
    There are absolutely period-appropriate costumes in the game.

I think we have a problem, I just fell in love with you.

Period-outfits = epicness beyond epic. *o*

I hope that's not a lie.

You wouldn't toy with us (even more) Alan, would you ?
  • edited November 2010
    Strayth wrote: »

You wouldn't toy with us (even more) Alan, would you ?

Somewhere on the Telltale offices, Alan and his co-workers are laughing evily in front of their computers...

(Ligthing bolt)
  • edited November 2010
    @Origami
    I can imagine quite some situations were this could be a lot of fun and enable interesting puzzles and gameplay.

If you feel that's too weird/complex/unusual for your audience you also could offer it in a way that you can play a certain part of an episode as Marty (the Joe Normal way of doing things) or as Doc Brown.

I think if nicely designed this wouldn't double the dev time, could offer some more spice for those who want it and even add some replay value to the adventure, although that's not what i was after in the first place.
  • edited November 2010
    I never considered the idea of playing as Doc. Marty is a more relate-able character. The screen shots look awesome.
  • edited November 2010
    The new screens have gone up on the official BTTF: The Game site! Check those out if you want a non-watermarked version.
  • edited November 2010
    I can see this being award winning.....

I like the crisp graphics, plus I've just ordered a new PC with the kickass latest 1gb nVidia gfx card, if it doesn't run on that, I'll eat my hand!
  • edited November 2010
    PedsterUK wrote: »
    I like the crisp graphics, plus I've just ordered a new PC with the kickass latest 1gb nVidia gfx card, if it doesn't run on that, I'll eat my hand!
    O_O

I keep my eye on you.
    fry.jpg
  • edited November 2010
    I keep my eye on you.

Eye is singular. A picture of Leela would've been more appropriate. :)
  • edited November 2010
    greatscott.jpg
    I've done this little change on Doc's eyes.... I think that now they look more "Great Scott"-like! :D
    Don't you think?
    I really hope the pupils do something like this in the final game when he says that..... or hoping they have time to implement that! (In TT screenshots it seems to me that they're too big in respect of given concept art) :P

Am I just crazy? :D
  • edited November 2010
    yes. :)
  • edited November 2010
    Those screenshots look awesome!
    Cant wait for this game to come out.

I like the car of the future sign. One of those small background details, that make you laugh once you notice them. Just like in the Back to the Future movies.
  • edited November 2010
    I love those pictures TT, they look brilliant. The style is great, and it does look fitting. Excited for the trailer, to see it in motion, and if I say OMG! 3 or 4 times or make sounds that sounds like joy, you all earn a cookie. Or two. Or as many as you like! :D
  • edited November 2010
    back-to-the-future-the-adventure-series-20101123102524044_640w.jpg

Those gear shaped icons on the top and the atmosphere of wooden house of Doc's reminded me of Syberia II's train ...

Weird comment courtesy of Milkman08, All rights reserved
  • edited November 2010
    don't know if these have been posted yet (stopped reading thread when all the plot speculation started)

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/113/1136346/back-to-the-future-the-adventure-series-20101123102524044.jpg

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/113/1136346/back-to-the-future-the-adventure-series-20101123102533325.jpg

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/113/1136346/back-to-the-future-the-adventure-series-20101123102538934_640w.jpg

Also I have to admit that I thought telltale had completely fucked doc's 3d model. That was until I saw it in full 1080p resolution. Scaling really screws up screenshots of games - I think telltale should allow visitors to thier bttf site to see the full res shot too - because I was super pissed.
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    You can see Doc has the straight eyebrows more in the second pic. We can't judge Doc's model yet from the first pic. He is screaming so....

But I really don't care. I think it's already accurate!
  • edited November 2010
    For me it looks fine, better then i expected.

I mean we can pay attention to all the small details and stuff, but ahh well.

But for me the storyline and gameplay quality itself is most important of them all.
  • edited November 2010
    Looks very very good :) I would mind more cartoony hehe hell i like cartoons.

Its funny to see how doing is never standing infront of people to talk, he always miles away, and or running around flapping his arms like stan hehe
  • edited November 2010
    I keep seeing this "Stan" thing on the forum board for BTTF. What IS this about?
  • edited November 2010
    Stan is from Monkey Island, he's a salesman who is highly energetic and flails his arms around. A lot. In an almost inhuman way.
  • edited November 2010
    Stan is from Monkey Island, he's a salesman who is highly energetic and flails his arms around. A lot. In an almost inhuman way.

Not to mention he's got a jacket with an unmovable relative to the cloth 2D-texture :p
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited November 2010
    I keep seeing this "Stan" thing on the forum board for BTTF. What IS this about?

Yes, Stan is a salesman from Monkey Island. Watch the first minutes of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thSujYSvrnI

Some posters have compared his lively flinging of arms to Christopher Lloyd's Doc performance, while others, including myself, have taken great pains to differentiate between the two characters. The Doc Gesture thread has the most information on that.
  • edited November 2010
    Some posters have compared his lively flinging of arms to Christopher Lloyd's Doc performance

I think the comparison was not based on their non-existent similarities, but on the complexity of doing them properly (in ToMI, for example, there's a lot more to Stan than just flapping his arms like he did in the 2D-MI games). Obviously, imitating a real actor is more difficult than bringing more life in a, basically, cartoon character, but I think the point everyone talking about Stan (including me) is trying to make is that TT has done Stan right, and there's little reason to believe they won't do Doc justice.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.