Fanboy disappointment.

As I've discussed before, the BttF license is bringing Telltale the attention of a whole horde of people unfamiliar with not just Telltale, but the adventure genre as a whole.

Now, I know YouTube commenters and the like aren't known for having good ideas, but it does give one an idea of what the masses in general think, and there's a whole bunch of whining about how point-and-clicks are stupid, it should be a GTA clone, yadda yadda yadda.

Now, with any game/movie/book/whatever, disappointing somebody is inevitable. You can't please everybody, and you definitely shouldn't try to. However, point-and-click adventure games are admittedly a niche market (that doesn't mean they're bad, mind you. If I hated point-and-click adventure games I wouldn't post on Telltale's forums ;)), and I think maybe something should be done to help newcomers get familiar with the genre and realize Back to the Future is in capable hands.

Any ideas?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    How is shooting stuff related to BTTF ?

Is BTTF about roaming a city inside the Delorean or a flying train ... ?

Serisouly what a bunch of morons.

I mean, I can totally understand they think the game looks horrible (cauz honestly, compared to any "big" game, it is) but whining about "how it's not a GTA clone" is the stupidest thing ever, and they don't deserve any credit.
  • edited December 2010
    Honestly, I think the best thing that can be done is for the first episode to be released, and for it to be very, very good. Once people have their hands on it, they can then make an educated statement about whether the game (or the point-and-click adventure genre) is any good.

It's pretty natural for people to have a negative or pessimistic view of something of which they have only seen a teaser, like in the case of BTTF:TG. The proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes.

I think the game will speak for itself once it is released.
  • edited December 2010
    GTA clone... *Shudder*

I don't know, but I think a demo would be a strong move... I won't need one but it was the original ToMI demo that convinced me to buy the game
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Quoting myself from the "mainstream" thread:
    That's a rather negative way to look at it, and I've looked at the matter equally pessimistic for quite some time. But what is it that the new people essentially want by demanding a GTA-style game? It's not the violence and gameplay of the GTA games, that's for sure. What they might just want is to explore Hill Valley, and they haven't yet experienced a different way to explore a city than in the GTA games. But exploration is still one of TTG's areas of great achievement, and the GTA people might come to appreciate this different approach to exploration, that focuses more on individual detailed areas than on vast but repetitive explorative excursions.

That is to say: They might actually love it. ;)

To expand on this idea: It's not "a bunch of morons" who would have liked the BTTF game to be more like GTA. It's likely a bunch of intelligent people who just love the Back to the Future triology, who happen to like GTA and find it easy to see the franchise through that lense.

@golden tooth: The entire first episode is FREE. That is one hell of a demo!!
  • edited December 2010
    From all the comments I have seen through different forums and newssites I conclude that overall people are really exciting about this.
    5/10 complaints is about it not being on Xbox.
    2/10 about the cartoony style.
    3/10 not being in GTA style.
    And these complaints only limit themselves to being from pseudo-hardcoregamers, the bad kind that only play for graphics and MMO FPS action.

So the game definitely won't attract this group of newcomers. These people sadly won't smarten up now or later.
    But 'newcomers' as in casual gamers and non-gamers that are fan of the franchise they're all pretty excited about this.

I admire the risk TTG took with a cartoony art direction style and how it turned out to work so well and people generally being happy with it. :)
    It's likely a bunch of intelligent people who just love the Back to the Future triology, who happen to like GTA and find it easy to see the franchise through that lense.

If people can see it easy through that lense than I don't consider those people to be very intelligent.
    At least in the gaming department. :D
    I can totally understand they think the game looks horrible (cauz honestly, compared to any "big" game, it is)

Please Strayth, don't say this game looks horrible because it doesn't. :(
    Look....visuals is about more than just being technically groundbreaking.
    It's also about design.
    From a technical standpoint a game like COD4*shudders too* looks better than BttF: The Game, yes hard to dispute that.
    But if you ask me, what game looks better or which game do you prefer in visuals then I'd pick BttF over COD any day!
  • edited December 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    From all the comments I have seen through different forums and newssites I conclude that overall people are really exciting about this.
    5/10 complaints is about it not being on Xbox.
    2/10 about the cartoony style.
    3/10 not being in GTA style.
    And these complaints only limit themselves to being from pseudo-hardcoregamers, the bad kind that only play for graphics and MMO FPS action.

So the game definitely won't attract this group of newcomers. These people sadly won't smarten up now or later.
    But 'newcomers' as in casual gamers and non-gamers that are fan of the franchise they're all pretty excited about this.

I admire the risk TTG took with a cartoony art direction style and how it turned out to work so well and people generally being happy with it. :)

If people can see it easy through that lense than I don't consider those people to be very intelligent.
    At least in the gaming department. :D

Well, I'm in the 360 camp, but I can only hope that after all the episodes come out (if they can even get eposide 2 out with the trouble with Tom Wilson), I can only hope that they bundle all the episodes up and release them on disk. *crosses fingers*

As for it being in a GTA clone style, yeah, all I have to say to that is not everything needs to be in the GTA style, I think I've said that with the Ghostbusters game as well, and IMO, that game turned out just fine.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    The Xbox360 complaint is not one to feel bad about. It's understandible. You just want to play the game! :)
    I only wanted to proof the point that there are generally view complaints and when there are most of them are about it not being on Xbox360 instead of the quality of the game itself.
  • edited December 2010
    GTA clone... *Shudder*

I don't know, but I think a demo would be a strong move... I won't need one but it was the original ToMI demo that convinced me to buy the game

First episode is free.
    Once people have their hands on it, they can then make an educated statement about whether the game (or the point-and-click adventure genre) is any good.

Well maybe on PS3 it will be easier for them to accept the game, since it will seem less like a "point and click".
    To expand on this idea: It's not "a bunch of morons" who would have liked the BTTF game to be more like GTA. It's likely a bunch of intelligent people who just love the Back to the Future triology, who happen to like GTA and find it easy to see the franchise through that lense.

You mean people who are completely ignorant about the history of gaming and are spitting on a game they don't know anything about, rather than asking themselves if anything else could please them or be more true to the franchise ?

I call that morons.

ALso, to respond on the specifics, Shadow of Memories did exactly that. Different time areas to travel to and a little town to roam.

And yet I'm not sure that was a strong point ! What made it great was the story, the characters, and the various interactions through time... And the special locations...

I don't understand why a GTA game would be needed for BTTF. It's a NORMAL world. I mean, apart from the special areas (that will all be in the game !) it seems pointless to me.

So really, it's just a problem of game engine more than anything, right ? If there wasn't any loading they would be fine with it ... (And Hill Valley doesn't seem that huge BTW)
    Please Strayth, don't say this game looks horrible because it doesn't.
    Look....visuals is about more than just being technically groundbreaking.
    It's also about design.
    From a technical standpoint a game like COD4*shudders too* looks better than BttF: The Game, yes hard to dispute that.
    But if you ask me, what game looks better or which game do you prefer in visuals then I'd pick BttF over COD any day!

I never said it looked horrible, nor that I didn't like it. And COD are dull and not original at all...

But if you want to compare BTTF to Final Fantasy, or Metal Gear Solid, Mass Effect, etc... it's starting to hurt :/ .

Moreover, something is fishy with the graphics, but I'll make a thread about it. ^^
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    The Xbox360 complaint is not one to feel bad about. It's understandible. You just want to play the game! :)
    I only wanted to proof the point that there are generally view complaints and when there are most of them are about it not being on Xbox360 instead of the quality of the game itself.

Oh, I'll be able to play it fine on my current PC, I just would've rather played it on my TV, using a bigger screen would always be nice.
  • edited December 2010
    I have a PS3 but I want to play it on my future laptop.

It's more cozy to play on your laptop and BttF is a cozy franchise :P.
    I can play portions in bed than too right before I go to sleep.
    edited December 2010
    Strayth wrote: »
    You mean people who are completely ignorant about the history of gaming and are spitting on a game they don't know anything about, rather than asking themselves if anything else could please them or be more true to the franchise ?

I call that morons.

No, I was very specifically just speaking about people who came in here with the rudimentary idea that the BTTF game might be done in about the same vein as GTA. I refrained explicitly from any kind of narrower stereotype thinking that automatically links someone who likes GTA with "a moron".
  • edited December 2010
    No, I was very specifically just speaking about people who came in here with the rudimentary idea that the BTTF game might be done in about the same vein as GTA. I refrained explicitly from any kind of narrower stereotype thinking that automatically linked someone who likes GTA with "a moron".

Thank you very much. I love the GTA games, but not everything has to be in the style of Grand Theft Auto to be good.
  • edited December 2010
    And I was talking about those youtube people :
    there's a whole bunch of whining about how point-and-clicks are stupid, it should be a GTA clone

I never said anything about GTA lovers ...
  • edited December 2010
    And I was talking about those youtube people : .

If there's one thing I learned, it's don't pay attention to YouTube comments, I think there was a post on TVTropes about that under a Sonic game.
    edited December 2010
    And I was talking about those youtube people : .

I see that you were very specifically referring to RAnthonyMahan's first post, which included an initial attack on a supposed group ("the masses") and their perceived opinions ("whining about how point-and-clicks are stupid"). But for someone to be disappointed, and for someone to have the right to be disappointed, she or he has to buy the game first. So to judge future players of the BTTF game, we might be better served speaking about the people who flooded in here than about random youtube commenters. Their opinions are not relevant and definitly do not reflect the opinion of "the masses".
    I think maybe something should be done to help newcomers get familiar with the genre and realize Back to the Future is in capable hands.

That was more the idea. ;)
  • edited December 2010
    Whatever... i mean - WHATEVER happens with the adventure games and video games, there is one thing that you can't deny - adventure games are more than ANY OTHER GENRE closer to STORYTELLING.

Back to the Future, as any other movie is pretty much about story telling. So yes - you can make Marty driving around and shooting but that would be just a spin off, like other BttF arcade games. If you want to make something that should be considered as genuine sequel to the franchise in form of the video game then adventure game is your best bet.
  • edited December 2010
    Whatever... i mean - WHATEVER happens with the adventure games and video games, there is one thing that you can't deny - adventure games are more than ANY OTHER GENRE closer to STORYTELLING.

Back to the Future, as any other movie is pretty much about story telling. So yes - you can make Marty driving around and shooting but that would be just a spin off, like other BttF arcade games. If you want to make something that should be considered as genuine sequel to the franchise in form of the video game then adventure game is your best bet.

Wait wait wait, there was a BTTF arcade game? I must've missed that way back when.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    There was a BttF pachinko game with nice animation sequences but only for Japan though.
    But no...there was no shooting in it.
  • edited December 2010
    Ashki wrote: »
    Wait wait wait, there was a BTTF arcade game? I must've missed that way back when.

Make your pick
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    There was a BttF pachinko game with nice animation sequences but only for Japan though.
    But no...there was no shooting in it.

Oh that's right, cause there was a GB one as well if I recall correctly. Shame that those didn't come out here, I would've liked to played them, though supposedly they're a form of gambling, so that's probably why they didn't.
  • edited December 2010

Well, those were all console games actually, just saying.
  • edited December 2010
    Arcade as an arcade genre, not coin operated games.
  • edited December 2010
    Arcade as an arcade genre, not coin operated games.

Can't ever say I've hard of that before.
  • edited December 2010
    Arcade: Denotes an arcade or "arcade-like" game, whose gameplay mimics or was inspired by a traditional coin-op arcade game. Arcade games usually have very little puzzle-solving, complex thinking, or strategy skills needed; the focus is on reflexes and "twitch". The Arcade genre is usually used as an additional modifier to Action games.

http://www.mobygames.com/glossary/genres
  • edited December 2010
    Arcade: Denotes an arcade or "arcade-like" game, whose gameplay mimics or was inspired by a traditional coin-op arcade game. Arcade games usually have very little puzzle-solving, complex thinking, or strategy skills needed; the focus is on reflexes and "twitch". The Arcade genre is usually used as an additional modifier to Action games.

http://www.mobygames.com/glossary/genres

Interesting, never did know about that till now, thanks.
  • edited December 2010
    Yeap, to tell you the truth, i myself couldn't tell the difference between action and arcade games. For example, traditional 2D side-scrolling platformers like Aladdin i would always call arcade rather than action.
  • edited December 2010
    I just feel like mentioning, I'm a VERY big GTA fan, I help out on a very popular fansite and have even talked with some people who work at Rockstar, etc. But I'd like to say that I think a BTTF game done in a GTA style would be quite weird, the only reason people keep bringing it up is because there's an old mod for Vice City, which put a Deloreon in the game and put in the time travel feature (Only changed Time of Day and Weather Effects) and it was quite a popular video on YouTube so I do think that is the main reason why soo many people and blindly saying they want it done in a GTA style because they've seen the likes of that mod. But core gameplay wise, the story of BTTF suits the puzzle and adventure game format and has real potential which is why I was happy when it was announced TellTale would be doing the game.

So see, not all GTA fans are morons, though I do at times deal with a lot of them. ;)
  • edited December 2010
    So see, not all GTA fans are morons, though I do at times deal with a lot of them

Just for the record, no one said GTA fans are morons.

There are morons everywhere huh ? There also are morons that are BTTF fans of adventure games fans.

The only "morons" we were talking about were those who spit on a game they don't know anything about just because it doesn't match the (pointless) idea they had.
  • edited December 2010
    Just for the record, no one said GTA fans are morons.

There are morons everywhere huh ? There also are morons that are BTTF fans of adventure games fans.

The only "morons" we were talking about were those who spit on a game they don't know anything about just because it doesn't match the (pointless) idea they had.

Like those people who post on Kotaku about that top down GB game. Granted, I don't know why the new developers went that route, but I'm not going to go "lol no" before trying it.
    edited December 2010

The only one who used the word "spit" so far... well... the "we" is also a rather far stretch. :D
  • edited December 2010
    The only one who used the word "spit" so far... well... the "we" is also a rather far stretch

I said talking about. I didn't say "the people WE call morons".
  • edited December 2010
    I agree with the OP 100%... I think there are going to be a LOT of people not getting the game they are expecting to get.... Hopefully most of them will give the game a chance and like it anyway... But I think we all need to prepare ourselves for an unusual number of trolling of our boards... I think this is arguably the biggest risk TTG has taken to date... It will get more attention for them than ever before. I do not think its going to be the magic bullet for adventure gaming that some think it will be, But I think the people who actually play the game will like it.... the ones that play for a few minutes and decide then and there its garbage will be pretty easy to spot on these boards.... its their own fault because last I knew TTG has plenty of demos of previous games that they could try out.
  • edited December 2010
    In an age where hard-boiled space marines (or real life soldiers) are shooting stuff up (may or may not be in 1st person) is the norm, of course people are going to have Unrealistic Expectations© about how the game should be done, regardless of the "mood" of the franchise in question.

... Says the person who is a huge fan of a series where hard-boiled space marines are shooting stuff up and isn't in 1st person.

At least it's not done like, say, Pokemon.

A wild Tannen appeared!

Tannen used 1985 Sports Almanac!

... It's super effective!
  • edited December 2010
    If Telltale doesn't put an explicit hardcore pornographic threesome scene between Old Biff, Doc Brown, and Alan Johnson in this game, that shows everything, I shall take my business elsewhere! I wanna see Alan's tits!
  • edited December 2010
    If Telltale doesn't put an explicit hardcore pornographic threesome scene between Old Biff, Doc Brown, and Alan Johnson in this game, that shows everything, I shall take my business elsewhere! I wanna see Alan's tits!

Hey man, this isn't a BioWare game!
  • edited December 2010
    I wouldn't complain if it was! This could be Telltale's way of expanding to a wider audience, like the entire population of California. It would show another side to the characters we've grown up with. I think it's time that we see Doc Brown's "Science Wand". Perhaps Marty could end up in an alternate reality 1986 where America has such sexual freedom that everyone has sex in plain public, bondage and S&M is rampant, Japanese hentai is broadcast on a giant TV in Hill Valley Square, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!
  • edited December 2010
    i'm sure Telltale's got everything under control

backops.jpg
  • edited December 2010
    I lol'd
  • edited December 2010
    I'd like to have seen BTTF in a CHrono Trigger style open world in different time periods, where you could go on quests then see how they effect the future. Should be mostly puzzle solving, with alternate plot routes, depending on the choices you make.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.