Savegame troubles (merged threads)

Comments

• edited December 2010
    (stupid piracy talk)
  • edited December 2010
    ha ha ha kevin_mask , sure is a calm guy....
    anyways yes its due to the reason that the game is pirated that a save isnt possible, no argument there...
  • edited December 2010
    well, it would not be "logical", but it would be nice if the game asks you if you wanna save before exiting the game.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    stemot wrote: »
    If it had been a legal version you would have been able to save your game.

stemot, please stop accusing everyone with this problem of piracy. Although I didn't have the same issue, the save system was incredibly buggy on my brother's Mac, so there IS something wrong with it. We really can't be sure at this time.

However, everyone in here admitting to have downloaded a crack or crackfix is_in_trouble. How stupid is it to admit this in an OFFICIAL FORUM?
  • edited December 2010
    stemot, please stop accusing everyone with this problem of piracy. Although I didn't have the same issue, the save system was incredibly buggy on my brother's Mac, so there IS something wrong with it. We really can't be sure at this time.

However, everyone in here admitting to have downloaded a crack or crackfix is_in_trouble. How stupid is it to admit this in an OFFICIAL FORUM?

We don't support piracy in anyway on this forum, whether it's a Telltale Product or not. Giving or asking for instructions concerning piracy will get your entire account banned going forward.
  • edited December 2010
    stemot wrote: »
    Here's an idea, stop using the cracked version.

It's not a bug, it's a DRM feature. You're running an illegal version of the game.
    That thought occurred to me after noticing that more than one person seemed to be having an issue losing their "game" in the same spot. Just wasn't making sense.

If you people have indeed downloaded an illegal version, and then you're coming on the OFFICIAL forum of the game maker to request a fix for it, that's beyond ridiculous. :rolleyes:
  • edited December 2010
    hey guys..i bought the game..and i downloaded 20x till i finally got it working. i shut my wi fi off and it now works..i am having the problem saving my mac game..can you please help..i got a offline key for my pc which i tried working it as well.
  • edited December 2010
    Sam & Max did that? :confused:
  • edited December 2010
    I remember like that. It didn't save on exit?
  • edited December 2010
    Thanks for the answer. That was the easy part. But where are the saves on a Mac? In Documents there's no trace of them.
  • edited December 2010
    I can't get the save function to work right either.

http://imgur.com/4a3Zl&gW1s7l -> http://imgur.com/4a3Zl

I assumed it autosaved because when I went to the save screen, before I closed the game, it said "Emmit's Lab". I had just arrived at emmits lab so since that's where I was I didn't try to save the game. I guess saving the game means clicking on the photo that says "2" on it? The procedure for saving the game isn't clear.

When I click on the photo "1" and then load now, I am taken to... well a way back in the game.

I am not a gamer, but I am a fan of the series. I don't really have all the time in the world to play through this part again.
  • edited December 2010
    *double post
  • crbcrb
    edited December 2010
    ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/BackToTheFuture101/
  • edited December 2010
    Oh yes, here they are. Thank you so much.
  • edited December 2010
    Ingafoo wrote: »
    I guess saving the game means clicking on the photo that says "2" on it?
    You have to click the photo that says 2, then click the "Save Game" button below it.

savegame.th.jpg
  • edited December 2010
    Zodler wrote: »
    I was used to previous Sam and Max games where you quit and then resume the game. It auto-saved when you quit. This doesn't seem to be the case with BTTF. I quit and went back and hit resume and the game had not saved where I quit. I just lost a lot of game play. :mad:

Do I have to manually save each time I quit the game?

Sam and Max didnt autosave like that. It autosaves at certain point just like back to the future.
  • edited December 2010
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Sam and Max didnt autosave like that. It autosaves at certain point just like back to the future.

The difference is I didn't have any problems with the autosave in sam and max. In this game it says I am further in the game than I am. After I click on it, it doesn't take me to where it says it saved.
  • edited January 2011
    Hello everyone,

am I missing something or is it not possible to have the same progress on my different computers? I just got a new computer (where i can up the settings and play smoothly) and I'd like to transfer all the progress I've done in my previsou system. Any help? hints?

Also, is there any benefit on registering my non-steam version of the game in my steam account?

Thanks in advance!
  • edited January 2011
    Find the folder containing all of the BTTF game files(try searching for it in the memory), and in there should be the current saves and auto-save files. If you just transport that file you want between computers, you'll have the same progress. When I did it, the game had the file but none of the date/progress was shown on the load game screen. After loading it the progress was correct. Hope this was clear enough.
  • edited January 2011
    mathman77: I found the windows save game file. Thing is I don't know where to paste it in the OSX system (the new computer). Any ideas?

Thanks again,
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited January 2011
    /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/BackToTheFuture101/

where yourusername is your user name! ;)
  • edited January 2011
    Not sure if the file will be compatible between PC & Mac, but you can try...
  • edited January 2011
    It didn't worked. I've transferred the file "101_auto.save" from the MacBook to the iMac in the same folder.

In the iMac it's like the game is new.
    He finds that there's an old savegame, but when I see at what part of the game I am, he says that I'm at the beginning of the game.

The same happens in Puzzle Agent. He loads the savegame, but with 0 puzzles solved, instead of 6.

I've not moved the files "offlinesettings" and "prefs" because I think that must be different from MacBook and iMac (resolution setting, etc...).

So what can I do to continue on the iMac the game I've started on the MacBook and viceversa?

Thanks for your answer. Bye!
  • edited January 2011
    Well, it kinda worked. I brought me near the point i was in, but I think it actually overshot it! I was stuck in that kitchen soup thing and I never got past it and all of a sudden I was shining tannen's shoes. So that' OK I guess, as long as it doesn't screw up the game forwards...
  • edited January 2011
    Up.
  • edited January 2011
    ciarals wrote: »
    IIn the iMac it's like the game is new.
    He finds that there's an old savegame, but when I see at what part of the game I am, he says that I'm at the beginning of the game.!

Did you load the game? When I did it it says you're at the beginning, but loads where you were.
  • edited January 2011
    Hi. I haven't tried, because I was trusting what he was saying :) When I'll be back at my iMac on Friday I'll let you know. Thanks for your answer.
  • edited January 2011
    Clearly there's a rift in the Mac-PC continuum.

*dodges hail of tomatoes*
  • edited January 2011
    Mathman, you were right.

I've checked with my iMac. I've tried moving all files (including "offlinesettings" and "prefs") and in Puzzle Agent the game loaded the save game description successfully, but in BTTF nothing changed. So I've tried only copying the savegame file leaving the settings files untouched. As I said before, the game didn't recognize the description of the savegame, but when I tried loading it, it loaded fine, where I left it in my MacBook Pro.

So it's only a description problem. By only copying the savegame file from one Mac to another, the description doesn't load fine, but the game does.

:)
  • edited January 2011
    hello!

just bought this game. played it for a while and then wanted to save / exit but couldn't find any menu for that?! tried pressing esc on the keyboard and nothing. looked through the three buttons on the top right (and got an involuntary hint, which I didn't want) but couldn't find it anywhere. ended up just pressing alt-f4 and luckily it did auto save at one point, but lost some progression due to this. surely there must be a manual save somewhere in there?
    edited January 2011
    Esc should take you to the main menu where there is a Save/Load option.
    Some Telltale games don't let you save (or access the main menu) until you reach a certain point in the game (The Penal Zone is the one I remember best as I had some "freezing" problems and had to replay the whole beginning several times because I couldn't save), but I'm not sure if "It's About Time" is one of them...
  • edited January 2011
    well, esc doesn't work.. as I stated.. and I played fairly long before turning it off, even traveled in time once. a couple of hours. how long do I need to play before I can save, lol :D
    edited January 2011
    Not sure what the problem is, but after a few hours, you should definitely be able to save! ;)
    If I understand your first post correctly, esc doesn't do anything (not even take you to the main menu?), which is definitely odd (I just tried a new game and esc takes me to the main menu as early as the introduction).
    You should post your problem in the game support forum and maybe add a little bit of info like what computer you're using (PC or Mac) and which version you're playing (Telltale or Steam).
    Good luck!
  • edited January 2011
    This doesn't make any sense. You need to pos tthis on the tech forum.
  • edited January 2011
    correct; esc does nothing, no menu or anything. I run a PC, pretty high-end, and formated/reinstalled windows 7 yesterday (this game is the first one installed since I reinstalled windows; went in right after the drivers and Adobe CS). Mainboard, CPU and graphics are all of AMD brand: Radeon 5870, Phenom II X4 and I think 790x is the mb chipset name. DDR2 memory, 8gigs. Lotsa hard drives..

maybe a mod of some sort could move this to a tech forum?
  • edited January 2011
    I know this may sound ridiculous but, have you tried pushing it harder?
    Sometimes my keyboard didn't respond quickly enough when I pushed Esc while playing the game. But when I tried pushing it harder it responded, maybe you should keep your finger for at least 1~2 seconds for the game to respond.
  • edited January 2011
    Milkman08 wrote: »
    I know this may sound ridiculous but, have you tried pushing it harder?

I'm with Milkman08 on this one. It sounds like it's a hardware problem...

After playing Gothic 2 (a game in which you walk...a lot...) my "Forward arrow key" stopped responding and I had to get a new keyboard.

Weirder things have happened. Try borrowing a friend's keyboard and see if it works.
  • edited January 2011
    There's one key piece of information here, where did you buy it from tmfm?
  • edited January 2011
    where did I buy what from?
    anyway, esc button works in other applications, no problem. I'll try again later today and see if it works if I push it harder / longer in bttf. sounds weird though, as no other buttons need pushing harder or longer in the game nor in any other application.
    thanks for trying to help though. I realize this isn't a usual problem.

update:
    seems like I found the problem. apparently, running photoshop CS5 in the background disables the esc button in bttf, for no apparent reason at all. I remembered I had it running yesterday when playing too, so I tried closing it. voila! esc works. and starting photoshop again disables it again, etcetera..
    I have no idea why it behaves like this. no big deal, though I do like to just pop into a game for half an hour or two while working. oh well, guess I'll have to do with closing and starting ps in the future :)
    again: thanks to all of you who tried to help.
  • edited February 2011
    I have just downloaded part 2 and have the same 'no save menu' thing going on. I have a legitimate copy of the game purchased directly from Telltale. Is there any way of fixing this? Would be nice if a mod could answer this for all users with this problem.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.