Savegame troubles (merged threads)

Comments

• edited February 2011
    dpw81 wrote: »
    I have just downloaded part 2 and have the same 'no save menu' thing going on. I have a legitimate copy of the game purchased directly from Telltale. Is there any way of fixing this? Would be nice if a mod could answer this for all users with this problem.

I had the same issue with Episode 2, it turned out it was because I had been playing the game with the Episode 1 launcher, causing it to not authenticate my copy of Episode 2 and run it as if I was using an illegal copy. Once I used the Episode 2 launcher and it logged me in, the game saved just fine.
  • edited February 2011
    Epic Kiwi wrote: »
    I had the same issue with Episode 2, it turned out it was because I had been playing the game with the Episode 1 launcher, causing it to not authenticate my copy of Episode 2 and run it as if I was using an illegal copy. Once I used the Episode 2 launcher and it logged me in, the game saved just fine.

Thank you so much mate, that was the problem. Make me wonder why they bother giving you the option to play other episodes from the same launcher. Anyhow, thanks again, much appreciated.
  • edited February 2011
    Well, the games do work with either launcher with no savegame issues after they've been initially logged into your account. I guess you just need to use each episode's own launcher the first time you run that episode for it to work properly.
  • edited February 2011
    Windows has occasional issues surrounding permissions. I always install my games on a secondary internal hard drive (NOT the C: drive) to avoid a lot of those issues. Always install AND run the game as an administrator, also (right click and choose "run as administrator."
  • edited February 2011
    I purchased BttF directly from TellTale, for the Mac. (Actually bought the iPad version first, liked it so much that I wanted to see what the more stable version looked like and bought it on the Mac. ^_^)

Anyhow, I played through a portion of ep 2 last night and when I hit escape there was no save option. I also don't have persistent network access at my apartment so I'm wondering if that was the problem or perhaps it was launcher related as was discussed earlier in the thread?
  • edited February 2011
    That's pretty stupid, seeing how it doesn't even add a launcher to the start menu, so I just used Episode 1 since it was the only one available.

Well, off to see if this indeed fixes my issue or it's something else.
  • edited February 2011
    Epic Kiwi wrote: »
    This is the case, however, the installer creates the shortcut with the same name as Ep1! So this could be why people are getting confused, me included.
  • edited February 2011
    That's.. strange. I never make Telltale games install start menu or desktop shortcuts (I like to launch all my games from Steam) so I didn't even realize this, I just thought I'd try using Episode 1's launcher to see if it worked. XD

To be safe, just directly run BackToTheFuture102.exe the first time you play. After that you should be able to save the game even if you use the Episode 1 launcher to play.
  • edited February 2011
    It's not a piracy issue - I bought the game, and episode 1 saves work fine, but episode 2 will not save - i had to beat it in one sitting. It's a bug.

What's also weird is I only see shortcuts for episode 1. I can double click the shortcut for episode 1, and then when the episode select menu comes up i can pick either episode 1 or episode 2. If I go into the episode 2 directory and run the episode 2 shortcut or the exe directly, I get the episode select screen but no buttons. It's definatley a bug in the retail version.

Is there a way to put in my serial number again? maybee the activation serial number didnt take for episode 2?

BTW this still happens even though i completely reinstalled both episodes.. not sure whats going on?
  • edited February 2011
    I attached a screenshot of what I see when I try to run this game. from the episode 2 shortcut. Episode 1 shortcut shows just fine though and I am able to run both episodes from that shortcut, but I can't save in EP2..
  • edited February 2011
    baltar wrote: »
    I attached a screenshot of what I see when I try to run this game. from the episode 2 shortcut. Episode 1 shortcut shows just fine though and I am able to run both episodes from that shortcut, but I can't save in EP2..
    Just run it with the recent shortcut (even if you want to play Ep1 again) that each installer makes. Does this work?
  • edited February 2011
    nope, didnt work..

I even went as far as installed episode 2 only, still doesn't work..
    Windows XP64 here...
  • edited February 2011
    FIXED:

went into registry - HKLM\Software\Telltalegames\
    deleted launcher which showed my username and a hash for my password. Reinstalled both games, ran it and were good.

Also, I noticed in the HKCU\Software\Telltalegames\
    had a launcher that showed my email address and a has for my password, as opposed to HKLM which has my username.. Deleting both of these fixed it.. I think it was related to me installing monkey island beforehand that caused this?
  • edited February 2011
    baltar wrote: »
    FIXED:

went into registry - HKLM\Software\Telltalegames\
    deleted launcher which showed my username and a hash for my password. Reinstalled both games, ran it and were good.

Also, I noticed in the HKCU\Software\Telltalegames\
    had a launcher that showed my email address and a has for my password, as opposed to HKLM which has my username.. Deleting both of these fixed it.. I think it was related to me installing monkey island beforehand that caused this?

Thanks a million dude! This fixed it!
  • edited February 2011
    Same problem here, using legal version couldn't save. But also used the wrong Episode 1 Launcher. Using Windows 7 32bit.

With Episode 2 Launcher (BackToTheFuture102.exe) it works fine i can save! :)
  • edited March 2011
    Ok, I also had this problem, purchased the game from Telltale yet had no visible option to save, I emailed the support team who were very helpful. After sending them a copy of my pc info, they emailed me back with this suggestion.

We actually don't support your video card (Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family) so it may be preventing the entire menu from displaying correctly. But there is an update for your card that might help. If you contact Intel they should be able to walk you through updating it.

So I updated the video card, now the save/load displays properly.

Hope this helps.
  • edited March 2011
    I was having the save/load problem also. I just bought the game yesterday and installed episodes 1 and 2 at the same time. I was using the episode 2 launcher to start it though and couldn't save in episode 1. I used the episode 1 launcher and registered my email and password and after that I could use the episode 2 launcher to play fine.
  • edited March 2011
    Oh geez, I finaly fixed my save problem, but starting episode 2 directly and not with the launcher of episode 1... But the first time I played I allready was pretty far in the game. I visited the speakeasy and talked to everybody in there and did anything that could be done the first time... Does anyone have a savegame around that part of the game, because I don't want to go all through it again...

Thx
  • edited March 2011
    There is no save feature in my copy of the game. I bought the season, downloaded the game, installed it fully and my esc screen for the second episode has no save/load feature.
  • edited March 2011
    I found out with much searching that if you install ep1 and ep2 the save game option will disappear, as it did with me. I had to reinstall ep1 and play them one at a time. When your done with that one uninstall it and install ep2 it worked for me. Otherwise ep.2 uses ep1 launcher and the save games wont work. Once i did that though the game wouldn't play so i had to right click and run as administrtor. hope this helps.
  • edited March 2011
    When I press escape on my mac to the menu screen save and load is not an option. Any suggestions?
  • edited April 2011
    I ran into this in Episode 2, at first I assumed I was just at a "can't save right now" point, but then it continued for a while. I had used Episode 1's launcher. When I launched using Episode 2's launcher I had the save/load options (but had to start over from the beginning of Episode 2!)

This is a head-desk-ingly stupid design and whoever came up with it should feel bad.
  • edited April 2011
    How to fix the save game problem for BttF ep03 on a MAC

The story so far:
    I purchased all episodes..installed BttF ep01, finished it and I could save my games.

I then installed ep02, but I had to start it from the ep01 icon, since there were empty, unclickable blue buttons on the launching screen... anyway I could still save my games and I finished it.

Finally I installed ep03, still had to start it from ep01 (like I had to do with ep02) but this time, once in the game, the "save game" option was not available in the ESC menu.

I had to uninstall (delete all episodes and all the config files), then reinstall only ep03, log-in with my username and password again, then I was able to see the "save game" option.

The installation system doesn't seem to play well with multiple episode installed at the same time, and/or something else is off with the DRM system.

Is this a rushed release? maybe a bit more QA is necessary before releasing episodes.
    (didn't have these issues with Sam & Max)
  • edited April 2011
    I had the sam problem.. but I was running the game from episode 1 and using the launcher.
    Then I figured out I should be running the game frome episode 3 and bamm...
    Now I can save my game :)
  • edited April 2011
    I've also got this problem now - midway through episode 2 and cannot save :( Pretty sure I launched ep3 instead of ep2

C'mon Telltale, fix this bug already!
  • edited April 2011
    I had the same issue, downloaded the free episode today, got halfway through it, liked it, so i went a bought the series from the teltale site. Installed the other two games, then i lost my saved game. Had to go through chapter 1 again. By the time i got halfway through chapter 2 i noticed the option was missing there also.

After reading this thread, I used the chapter 2 launcher, and now i have the save option.

Telltale should fix this for the other two releases (and put a patch for the original three)
  • edited April 2011
    I just ended up finishing the episode yesterday whilst the computer was still on. Left it running in the bg when not in use but it was annoying trying to figure out how much longer was left
  • edited April 2011
    How to fix the save game problem for BttF ep03 on a MAC

The story so far:
    I purchased all episodes..installed BttF ep01, finished it and I could save my games.

I then installed ep02, but I had to start it from the ep01 icon, since there were empty, unclickable blue buttons on the launching screen... anyway I could still save my games and I finished it.

Finally I installed ep03, still had to start it from ep01 (like I had to do with ep02) but this time, once in the game, the "save game" option was not available in the ESC menu.

I had to uninstall (delete all episodes and all the config files), then reinstall only ep03, log-in with my username and password again, then I was able to see the "save game" option.

The installation system doesn't seem to play well with multiple episode installed at the same time, and/or something else is off with the DRM system.

Is this a rushed release? maybe a bit more QA is necessary before releasing episodes.
    (didn't have these issues with Sam & Max)
    I had the same problem with Episode 3 on the Mac! When using the Ep 3 launcher all I got was a blank window with no PLAY button! The Ep 2 launcher worked to select Ep 3 with a fully functional launcher window, however on playing the game the Save Game function was not present when I pressed Esc!!!! I ended up playing the whole episode in a day, leaving the computer on while I visited my mum and finishing the episode last thing at night, much to the wife's dismay! Why are these niggles still showing up 5 months after initial release? I'd have thought it would be like shelling peas on the technical side of this game by now. Poor QA yet again :-( Let's hope Episode 4 has fewer bugs i.e. none.
  • edited May 2011
    The missing save/load option bug is STILL THERE in Episode 4 (at least in the Mac version.)

Sigh...this game just pisses me off so much.
  • edited May 2011
    Anyone has a savegame of te "Get Tannen" episode?
    ... maybe around the point where Einstein is on the roof of the courthouse?
  • edited May 2011
    tullio wrote: »
    Anyone has a savegame of te "Get Tannen" episode?
    ... maybe around the point where Einstein is on the roof of the courthouse?

Yes, why?
  • edited May 2011
    Yes, why?

Couse i found the way to save and load but i have to start again the game from the beginning and a savegame whould help me.
  • edited May 2011
    Can someone help me? I'm searching a savegame of te "Get Tannen" episode, if possible around the point where Einstein is on the roof of the courthouse.
    Many thanks
  • edited June 2011
    I recently started playing episode 3 after installing other bttf's now I have no save and load opton from the esc menu. There is also no resume menu. Is there a way to fix this problem?
  • edited June 2011
    I found the fix after reading the forums above. It seems that if you install the other bttf episodes. It puts a link to the last one on the desktop with brings up the launcher with episode 5 for instance selected. You have to remove the icon and then just lauch it from the telltale games for the bttf episode you are on. Put that on the desktop or pin it to taskbar while you are playing it.
  • edited July 2011
    Hi.

I've just bought this game, and after playing ep. 1 where i could save my game, i started playing ep 2.
    I there found out that i couldn't save the game like i did in the first ep.

After searching and reading this forum, i found out that you need to start the correct launcher for the episode to be able to save the game.
    DO NOT USE the desktop icon, since it will link to the last ep. installed.

When you start your launcher it should highlight the ep you want to play, if not start the correct ep from your start meny.
  • edited July 2011
    I bought the game directly from Telltale.

First I only installed Episode 4 and played it, save menu worked fine.

Then I installed the other episodes 5 , 1 and 3.

Trying to play Episode 1 , but no save/load function .

I am using a netbook with Win 7 32 bit.

Please help me.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2011
    balo wrote: »
    I bought the game directly from Telltale.

First I only installed Episode 4 and played it, save menu worked fine.

Then I installed the other episodes 5 , 1 and 3.

Trying to play Episode 1 , but no save/load function .

I am using a netbook with Win 7 32 bit.

Please help me.

You played Episode 4 first? That's sort of like starting a new book at some random chapter, as the five episodes act as a continuing story.

At any rate, make sure you start the episode you want to play from the installed shortcut specific to that episode. E.g. if you want to play Episode 1, start the launcher from the Episode 1 shortcut. That should get you the save/load menu options.
  • edited August 2011
    This is CRAP Telltale. You need to fix your installer and fix this bugged save feature.
  • edited June 2012
    This is the last time I bought something of Telltale games, their games are loaded with bugs, Juressic Park has mouse cursor problems, Back to the Future has saving problems. I bought the Walking dead + almost everything package, and I'm afraid I will encounter many more of this problems.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.