Anticipation/Doubt

This thread mostly exists for the poll, that is, I want to sort of gauge general opinion, given the lack of information we have.

How do you feel about the upcoming King's Quest game?

Excited: I'm extremely excited, and I'm certain that Telltale will make something that at the very least borders on perfection. I love that Telltale has the franchise, and I can't wait to see what they have in store!

Cautiously Optimistic: I'm not really sure they'll do a good job, but I expect them to.

Unsure: I'm really mixed on the whole thing or have no real opinion yet.

Pessimistic: I don't really expect them to do a good job, and need convincing.

Upset: Angry or otherwise unhappy that Telltale got the license. I'm almost certain that Telltale can't or doesn't want to deliver something that meets or exceeds my expectations for a King's Quest game. I do not like the idea of this at all.

I'm on the "Upset" category, and if anyone thinks my wording or the poll are in any way unfair or biased, please let me know. I tried to balance it out as well as I could, without directly insulting any responses. I understand that I'm probably an outlier, and the majority of people probably exist somewhere in the middle three options. "Upset" and "Excited" don't necessarily mean you CAN'T be convinced otherwise(though this may be the case), but that you at least are going to need some heavy persuasion to the contrary.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I have Pessimism.

The more I think about it, the less I'm sure that they can do it justice.
    The reasons are many, obvious and have been well-discussed elsewhere already.
  • edited March 2011
    I'm Unsure. Until I see screenshots or gameplay videos I have no true opinion.
  • edited March 2011
    I voted excited :). That is my default stance, until I see something to convince me otherwise.
  • edited March 2011
    I'm excited... part of me is worried... but I hope I will end up liking it.
  • edited March 2011
    Unsure. Im mostly pessimistic but hoping they notice this wave of untrust and react in consequence, delivering something decent.
    Im quite positive that Telltale already realize this, but im unsure if they can deliver it or not. The jump from "no challenge" of their actual games to the mother of all hardcore adventures could be too much for them.

I will wait and see.
  • edited March 2011
    In my first glance at the name of the thread, I thought that poll would highly interest Rather Dashing. Then I realized the poll was created by himself. Such a twist, man.

I'm unsure. They took LucasArts titles to the next level, true, but I am always skeptical about a take on Sierra classic by Telltale. And, well, it's true they're lowering the standarts of a Telltale game with BTTF so far. That surely doesn't help me get optimistic about any of the future releases.
  • edited March 2011
    Falanca wrote: »
    They took LucasArts titles to the next level

I'd have to disagree with this. No Telltale game has approached the depth of a Lucasarts game. TOMI was as close as they've come. :)
  • edited March 2011
    Between Excited and Cautiously Optimistic! But had to choose the latter since I am not totally sure Telltale will make the right choices. They can do it, for sure, if only there are enough true lovers of King's Quest and Sierra working on the project! :)
  • edited March 2011
    lovers of King's Quest and Sierra working on the project! :)

Lovers of King's Quest and "people who should be allowed to work on a new King's Quest game" are not necessarily one and the same. ;)
  • edited March 2011
    A lover of King's Quest who feels like they still have to "play for the home team" and make their title "accessible to a wide range of players" by compromising it and dumbing the title down and providing a stale and indistinct experience and a person who should be allowed to work on a new King's Quest game are not necessarily on eand the same. ;)
  • edited March 2011
    A lover of King's Quest who feels like they still have to "play for the home team" and make their title "accessible to a wide range of players" by compromising it and dumbing the title down and providing a stale and indistinct experience and a person who should be allowed to work on a new King's Quest game are not necessarily on eand the same. ;)

See, that's a gamble. In order to be able to give this reasoning, as a valid opinion, they have to produce an episode, give you a demo or SAY something implying on them, actually planning on dumbing down the franchise. They may also produce something completely faithful to the original. It IS a non-profitable situation for you no matter the outcome may be. If they eff it up, you'll be totally right and probably called a prophet of TTG forums who wields the all wisdom the future has to offer on humanity, but also will have to witness the downfall of one of your favorite game franchises. If they actually do a better job than what you've assumed, you'll enjoy a great game but you'll have to eat your own words.
  • edited March 2011
    I hope he does have to eat his own words. That'd mean we got a damn good game.
  • edited March 2011
    Falanca wrote: »
    See, that's a gamble. In order to be able to give this reasoning, as a valid opinion, they have to produce an episode, give you a demo or SAY something implying on them, actually planning on dumbing down the franchise.
    Gotcha. One sec.
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    I want to do this series justice. But I also want to make it fun and accessible to a wide range of players- introduce a new generation to them.
    [...]
    Whatever the case, I wouldn't want to compromise the series. That said, I also have to play for the home team-- Telltale has vision, goals, and missions that I have to consider.
    They may also produce something completely faithful to the original. It IS a non-profitable situation for you no matter the outcome may be. If they eff it up, you'll be totally right and probably called a prophet of TTG forums who wields the all wisdom the future has to offer on humanity, but also will have to witness the downfall of one of your favorite game franchises. If they actually do a better job than what you've assumed, you'll enjoy a great game but you'll have to eat your own words.
    I don't care about "being a prophet" or "eating my own words".

I divide up my options like this: I'll either be proven right or made happy. If I was excited, I'd be either proven right or made unhappy. And besides, the way I see it, the chances are stacked in favor of this not turning out well at all.
  • edited March 2011
    I hope he does have to eat his own words. Just for the sake of seeing R to da' D do that.
    And besides, the way I see it, the chances are stacked in favor of this not turning out well at all.

Yeaaah, you're with me on this one.
  • edited March 2011
    Count me as "curious"...so, right between "unsure" and "cautiously optimistic". I've enjoyed most everything Telltale's done, but I never would have said they were right for a King's Quest game. But there are a few things that give me hope, and I look forward to actually hearing more about the game.
  • edited March 2011
    I have to go with pessimistic, though I'd prefer the term skeptical.

It's human nature, and the nature of human-created organizations, to take the path of least resistance, and that path leads to

Tales of King's Quest Playhouse: The Game
  • edited March 2011
    Excited, and I will choose to judge the project on its own merits...

I will keep it detached from my opinions of the series as a whole. I don't expect it to be the same, and it probably will be different. I will judge it based its own positives and negatives.
  • edited March 2011
    This is the middle part of Sinaz's quote that people seem to keep skipping over:
    Sinaz20 wrote: »
    Maybe that means incorporating puzzle complexity into the actual difficulty settings so that our hardcore Sierra ex-pats will have the option to play it old school. Maybe it means finding a new strategy to art and production so we can deliver huge environments like the original games. Maybe it means toggling fail events for the casual gamers.

It sounds like the best case scenario is that we'll get a game with different difficulty modes. I have no idea how that's going to turn out, but I'm curious to see what they come up with.

I voted "cautiously optimistic," but I suppose I'm actually more curious than optimistic. Good or bad, true to the series or something completely different, I'm excited to see how this turns out. "Telltale's King's Quest" -- the phrase alone is the ultimate paradox. I'm drawn to it like a moth to a flame.
  • edited March 2011
    Indeed, the naysayers seem to be rather selective in their reading and quoting. :)
    I voted excited :). That is my default stance, until I see something to convince me otherwise.
    Good on you, sir! I applaud your optimism. And actually, Cautiously Optimistic is leading the vote right now.
  • edited March 2011
    I keep waving back and forth between Pessimistic and Upset. I've not gone past Pessimistic, though, and I won't until I play the demo and see for myself. If the demo doesn't impress me, or worse if it depresses me, the whole thing will be a write-off for me. I'll just go about my daily life as if it never happened and not even acknowledge it. I'll consider it a bad fangame that's worth completely ignoring. I'll choose 'pessimistic' for now. But I'll probably end up 'upset' again in the future.

I will not pay money and support Telltale's rape of the KQ legacy if that's what it turns out to be. On the other hand, if it turns out great I'll be too happy to pay. But it's gotta be really really great.
  • edited March 2011
    Indeed, the naysayers seem to be rather selective in their reading and quoting. :)

Selective because the quote includes only the firm statements and omits the maybes? It would be useful if you could actually demonstrate that the selective quote is misleading instead of just implying it and writing off the quoter as a naysayer. It's just possible, you know, that the partial quote was selected because it is representative. In fact, it's not the first time something like this has been said.
    ...the thing is, games *have* to be reasonably easy, because if someone can win a game, they'll be more interested in buying the next one. Ditching the concept of commercial viability and making an incredibly difficult, fan-centric game is an excellent idea for die hard fans, but a company which intends to make more than one game MUST pay attention to what sells and what doesn't. We can't make a super hard game just because we think the idea is cool... these games cost an incredible amount of money to make and if we don't get a return on that we can't make more :P"

That's a quote from a different Telltale team member. Here is the whole post, in context, so I can't be accused of selectivity. Even more telling is what was said just prior:
    Multiple difficulty levels... It's a cool idea, and I'm not going to be all "We'll NEVER do that" because someday someone will quote it and start screaming, but it would add a ton of extra effort for our programmers and I really doubt it would make the game significantly 'better.'

So there's real cause for doubt about that list of maybes that was left out of the first citation. (Please note that I'm aware the context of the two discussions is slightly different; the post I've cited was focused on difficulty level, whereas in the KQ forum the issue has been framed, somewhat sloppily IMO, as exploration vs. story. But it all boils down to Telltale's attitudes towards gameplay.)

You see, the skepticism being expressed here is not just pulled out of thin air. It is based on observation and analysis of patterns and trends in Telltale's past behavior, their response to fan queries, their existing games, as well as statements by various personnel.

If you have actual evidence and reasoning to offset the skepticism expressed in this thread, please do provide them. I am always willing to adjust my views when warranted by facts or logic. But blind faith and mislabeling as naysayers, or haters, or whiners those whose views discomfort you is a poor substitute for rational counter-arguments.
  • edited March 2011
    thom-22 wrote: »
    You see, the skepticism being expressed here is not just pulled out of thin air. It is based on observation and analysis of patterns and trends in Telltale's past behavior, their response to fan queries, their existing games, as well as statements by various personnel.

This. I can't stress enough this point. While many of you are basing your excitement and optimism (even to the point of raw fanboyism) on what you expect to happen we're basing our skepticism on real facts and not sensationalist extremes.
    If you have actual evidence and reasoning to offset the skepticism expressed in this thread, please do provide them. I am always willing to adjust my views when warranted by facts or logic. But blind faith and mislabeling as naysayers, or haters, or whiners those whose views discomfort you is a poor substitute for rational counter-arguments.

Well stated.
  • edited March 2011
    Hahaha Alan.
  • edited March 2011
    I vote unsure. I'd like to be optimistic, but given that TT havent really improved on their game design, it prevents me from being overly estatic
  • edited March 2011
    Unsure, never been a KQ fan, and at this point, I am not really certain I will enjoy any of TTG's future endeavors.
  • edited March 2011
    Cautiously Optimistic: I hope they can do it but I don't really have faith in it. But I am waiting for the demo to see if they can pull it off.
  • edited March 2011
    Cautiously optimistic: Was happy when Sam and Max was announced, but was disappointed in the direction they have taken the game. Same with KQ. I am happy that the KQ is being resurrected, but wouldn't be suprised it isn't as good as the previous KQ games
  • edited March 2011
    Hahaha Rather Dashing. I'm allowed to be excited.
  • edited March 2011
    Unsure.

Depends for me on the following:
    1. Are they following th BttF route (damn easy puzzles, and lack of puzzles) or a(n) (almost) Sierra like route.
    2. Are they getting outside help (Like Roberta Williams) to help with the mythos or not (Like they got Bob Gale for BttF as a consultant for the story etc)
  • edited March 2011
    I'm cautiously optimistic, but it could easily lower.
    I'm also one of the few who favours KQ7 over the others, and would love to have that sort of atmosphere and death scenes which aren't too punishing.
    I also can't seem to picture a good 3D Kings Quest game.
    Only time will tell. :)
  • edited March 2011
    Hahaha Rather Dashing. I'm allowed to be excited.
    I just found it amusing, is all. No accusations here. ;)

Other than...

Did you change my poll so the results weren't public? :confused:
  • edited March 2011

Other than...

I still see the results at the top of both pages of the thread, maybe you just hit a random glitch?
  • edited March 2011
    wilco64256 wrote: »
    I still see the results at the top of both pages of the thread, maybe you just hit a random glitch?

He means you can't see who voted for what by clicking on the numbers anymore.
  • edited March 2011

Other than...

Probably did it so the rest of the team can dump votes into excited and skew the results.
  • edited March 2011
    A great conspiracy theory, but it doesn't exactly add up. I'm pretty sure that's the number of votes we had in the category when it was public. =P
  • edited March 2011
    I can see being pessimistic about it, sure, but upset about it? What's to be upset about? If it's good, it's good. If it sucks, well, King's Quest already ended on a low note anyway.
  • edited March 2011
    that's the number of votes we had in the category when it was public. =P

Or was it?
  • edited March 2011
    I keep waving back and forth between Pessimistic and Upset. I've not gone past Pessimistic, though, and I won't until I play the demo and see for myself. If the demo doesn't impress me, or worse if it depresses me, the whole thing will be a write-off for me. I'll just go about my daily life as if it never happened and not even acknowledge it. I'll consider it a bad fangame that's worth completely ignoring. I'll choose 'pessimistic' for now. But I'll probably end up 'upset' again in the future.

I will not pay money and support Telltale's rape of the KQ legacy if that's what it turns out to be. On the other hand, if it turns out great I'll be too happy to pay. But it's gotta be really really great.

Basically, you ain't gonna like it unless it's better than KQ6 which it wouldn't be even if Jane or Roberta were writing the plot. You're setting it up to an unrealistic standard which you logically know it can't reach in order to justify hating it, because you've been bitter and biased from the beginning because your team didn't get picked. Jealousy is such, such an ugly thing.
  • edited March 2011
    Scnew wrote: »
    I can see being pessimistic about it, sure, but upset about it? What's to be upset about? If it's good, it's good. If it sucks, well, King's Quest already ended on a low note anyway.

In your opinion.
  • edited March 2011
    Basically, you ain't gonna like it unless it's better than KQ6 which it wouldn't be even if Jane or Roberta were writing the plot. You're setting it up to an unrealistic standard which you logically know it can't reach in order to justify hating it, because you've been bitter and biased from the beginning because your team didn't get picked. Jealousy is such, such an ugly thing.

Dude. You need to just stop with the fan team jealousy thing.

It is NOT the reason why many of us are worried about what Telltale might do with the license. In fact, most of the people who have expressed concern about the game have nothing to do with any of the fan teams.

And as far as MusicallyInspired goes, quit badgering him. There is only ONE PERSON at AGDI that expressed anything even remotely resembling jealousy over Telltale getting the license, and it WASN'T HIM, it was AGC2. MusicallyInspired's concerns about Telltale's handling of King's Quest are valid and based on existing evidence (Telltale's current games), just like yours are about TSL. Your constant pestering of him really comes off as hypocritical, given the your own stance on TSL (which I'm not necessarily disagreeing with, as you know.)

MI has also repeatedly said he's going to wait and see with this game, and try it before making any decisions--but that he won't pay for it if it sucks. It's a reasonable, logical way to approach it, and your allegations against him are totally unfounded.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.