Poll: Would you buy BTTF if a Season 2 is made?

edited October 2011 in Back to the Future
This is a poll asking would you or would you not buy BTTF if a season 2 is made? There is also an undecided option.

This is prompted by this news here: http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1174566p1.html
This news states that Telltale is open to creating more episodes if the fans are up for it.

Thanks for voting!

Comments

• edited June 2011
    I definitely would
  • edited June 2011
    I wouldn't, because Season 1 has been a massive failure.
  • edited June 2011
    Ofcourse! People need to stop looking at this like its a game. Its not.

This is a continuation of the movies we will watch over and over for the rest of our lives.
    We are lucky to be this spoiled and have all the actors the creator and spirit of the films come together again 22 years later and give us this wonderful gift.

The only people who hate this are the ones who think of it as a game and have no real bond with the films.

What do these people expect The vice city mod??? yeh that would be a cool story lets go shoot everyone in hill valley, the end. pffft
  • edited June 2011
    I definitely would

I would buy it also. I personally have been enjoying Season 1 very much. I am sure that the fact that this series is one of my favorites in the movie genre affects my opinions of the game a lot, but I'm sure that's true of many fans of the game. So if Telltale provides more Back to the Future, I will buy it.
  • edited June 2011
    ELB1985 wrote: »
    ...what do these people expect the vice city mod??? Yeh that would be a cool story lets go shoot everyone in hill valley, the end. Pffft

lol!
  • edited June 2011
    Yeah I would. Again mostly for the story.
    Still I would hope the puzzles would be better.
    As it is even Biff would think it's too easy. :rolleyes:
  • edited June 2011
    I probably would but only because I'm such a huge Back to the Future fan. All I ask is they just make it more difficult, I mean for me Sam & Max was the perfect balance and I don't understand why they felt they had to dumb everything down so much with Bttf.
  • edited June 2011
    I would too!! :D

Maybe the game is not as good as I would like, but the story rocks!
  • edited June 2011
    The only people who hate this are the ones who think of it as a game and have no real bond with the films.

That's a preposterous statement. I've been a big fan of the movies since when I first watched it at least 20 years ago. And many of the people on the forum who also are disappointed with the series also have ties with the movies.

That is however, no excuse for the poor quality of the adventure game, if it can even be called that.
    You are correct in that it is more of an interactive movie that you click your way through, it is the perfect example of how to not make a computer game.
    Yet if this were to be a movie the story would still be extremely weak. The story line is forced forwards time and time again, with no regards to natural story progression.
    They make ridicilous justifications to explain certain elements. Like this: Oh and by the way, the Delorean got cloned way back when which is how it appeared exactly where you were in 1986 in broad daylight even though it got destroyed by that train in October 1985.

So don't tell me that the story is good because it's just some crap that's been put together because the FANBOYS absolutely wanted the Delorean and teenage Marty to be featured, and TTG was too afraid to actually create something unique and original.

And also this is neither a puzzle game nor an adventure game. The puzzles can be solved by mindlessly clicking anything and trying out all the item combinations (which doesn't take long). That's a big no-no when designing puzzles and you don't create a game like that unless you intend for it to be played by monkeys.
    There is no opportunity to explore whatsoever, you are in an extremely small sandbox at all times you can't do anything that veers from the very linear and uninteresting storyline. That's a big no-no when designing an adventure game and you don't create a game like that unless you intend for it to be played by monkeys.

Now, the movies that were made back in the 80s, those are creative masterpieces that were way ahead of their time. I've always loved those films. But this game is an affront to those movies and I'm not going to be able to enjoy the films in the same way ever again I believe, because TTG has now stained them beyond repair by giving us a pre-school tool with a "Back to the Future" label on it and charging us 30 bucks for it.
  • edited June 2011

It's weird, but I could have sworn that the banner at the top of this very forum refers to it as Back to the Future: The Game.

Look, dude. If you're enjoying BTTF despite it being a very flawed game, that's great. Clearly you're loving the story. I love the films, but I'm not finding the story/dialogue up to snuff, personally. But whatever. You can absolutely love the story, but don't try to tell us that we're wrong for expecting Back to the Future: The Game to be a decent game, especially when it's being made by a company that's done some really great games in the past.

As for whether or not I'd buy another season, I would wait on reviews as opposed to pre-ordering this time.
  • edited June 2011
    Scnew wrote: »
    As for whether or not I'd buy another season, I would wait on reviews as opposed to pre-ordering this time.
    I'd be careful with that. While not stellar, Back to the Future's reviews have been fairly positive. There is only one professional reviewer that I've found that wasn't completely asleep at the wheel. Most reviews seem like they're just phoning it in, and they barely even take note of the genre as they sweep this thing by with middling scores between giving 9s and 10s to majorly hyped titles that buy advertising from them.
  • edited June 2011
    I don't really think another season is all that good of an idea unless Christopher Lloyd and Bob Gale are still on board, but I would keep my mind open about it and wait to see how it was coming along if it happened.

While I like the story and developments of the game we have- very, very much so- I generally agree that if Telltale elects to make more of this, they should make the puzzles much, much more complicated. If they keep that hint system and the walkthroughs around, make them have a point- that is to say, make puzzles hard enough to warrant such hand-holding. Be tricky with it.

Also, have more time travel, give us a chance to drive the Delorean directly somehow (it doesn't have to be a complex driving simulator... any level of control would be nice), instead of it happening only in cutscenes. And have the hoverboard (bonus points if that's controllable, too... even just something like that scene where Biff, Cliff, and Riff are trying to hit Marty, that kind of dodging thing, but on the hoverboard, would be nice... but something more complicated, like moving, would be nice). And maybe the time train involved somehow.

Also, speaking of Biff, try to ask Thomas F. Wilson again. The current Biff is okay, but there's nothing quite like that scary-ass gravelly voice he pulls out at just the right moments, that "Two McFlys.... with the same gun" voice. *shudder*

Don't have invisible walls. Seriously. If you're going to have a wall, make it look like one... and let us go inside more buildings. Have a more well-developed environment.

And pull another good story concept like the Citizen Brown idea out of thin air, and execute it dramatically. It doesn't have to deviate heavily from the timeline established at the end of the third movie- in fact, I'd kind of prefer it not- but it should be a meaningful storyline, which I think this game seems to have so far (though I cannot judge it fully until I see the ending... but I have high hopes, and I suspect I won't be disappointed in that regard).

But for now, I am undecided. I would be okay if a second season is not made, and I am very happy with the game we have (even if it could be game-ier).
  • edited June 2011

Yeah, it's totally unreasonable to expect something with "The Game" in the title to, in fact, be a game.
    We are lucky to be this spoiled and have all the actors the creator and spirit of the films come together again 22 years later and give us this wonderful gift.

Worst argument ever. "Who cares if it sucks badly as a game, you're lucky to have anything." does not cut it. By this logic, they could have created a movie that consisted of a 2 hour slideshow with Marty narrating it, and you'd say it was a great movie because something is better than nothing?

I own the original films on blu-ray. Your point is invalid.
    What do these people expect The vice city mod??? yeh that would be a cool story lets go shoot everyone in hill valley, the end. pffft

I expected a story-driven game featuring logical puzzles in the BttF universe made by a company who has proven they can make great adventure games several times. What I got was a cheap machinima that occasionally waits for me to click on things to continue its railroaded storyline.
  • edited June 2011
    I'd be careful with that. While not stellar, Back to the Future's reviews have been fairly positive. There is only one professional reviewer that I've found that wasn't completely asleep at the wheel. Most reviews seem like they're just phoning it in, and they barely even take note of the genre as they sweep this thing by with middling scores between giving 9s and 10s to majorly hyped titles that buy advertising from them.

When I say reviews, I really meant reactions from people on this forum that I know felt the same way about the first one as I did. ;)
  • edited June 2011
    Ofcourse! People need to stop looking at this like its a game. Its not.This is a continuation of the movies we will watch over and over for the rest of our lives.

1.Im sorry, it is called "Back To the Future: THE GAME" isnt it?
    2.No we are not after that kind of gameplay. We are for PUZZLES! Thats the point of adventure games, puzzles. Something BTTF has. We expected stuff like how Sam and Max puzzles were. If you dont get that, then go play Abe Lincoln Must Die which, like episode 1 of BTTF THE GAME, is free. THAT is what we wanted, actual puzzles.
  • edited June 2011
    I suspect that the anger many fans feel wouldn't be quite as pronounced if it weren't for the fact that Telltale has already proven it can make deviously difficult games.

Had Telltale been a new company at this point, people would be upset, but probably not quite AS upset. It's sort of like watching Beethoven put out a Justin Beiber song.
  • edited June 2011
    I would buy it. I've really liked it so far both as a game and a story :)
  • edited June 2011
    Kyronea wrote: »
    Had Telltale been a new company at this point, people would be upset, but probably not quite AS upset. It's sort of like watching Beethoven put out a Justin Beiber song.

Or George Lucas putting out a new Star Wars. :p
  • edited June 2011
    Um where is the take my money option? I don't see it. I would buy a season 2 and wouldn't think twice this time. I waited and tried the Free Episode 1 this time cause I'm not a fan of these types of games. Once i did I bought this season twice, once on PC and once on PS3. So hell freaking yea I'd buy another.
  • edited June 2011
    Um where is the take my money option? I don't see it. I would buy a season 2 and wouldn't think twice this time. I waited and tried the Free Episode 1 this time cause I'm not a fan of these types of games. Once i did I bought this season twice, once on PC and once on PS3. So hell freaking yea I'd buy another.

Please stop ruining my genre. :(
  • edited June 2011
    Don't need to read everyone's replies. As much as I freakin' love BttF and the story laid out for us by TellTale...I'm gonna have to go with a maybe on this one.

Reasons:
    1) As much as I love it, it did get a little tedious at times. And Einstein as a catch-all tracker all the time got...annoying.
    2) The story. We don't necessarily know how Episode 5 will wrap up. As much as I'd like to see the story of Marty and Doc continue for much longer, unless it has a good story, it shouldn't be done. I don't want to see a Season 2 for the sake of a Season 2. Even if Jurassic Park is already confirmed to have multiple seasons.
    3) Christopher Lloyd. No, this isn't a complaint about the man himself. In fact, he proved to me that he still has it in him to be Doc Brown, even if only in voice. My problem is two-fold. One is that he IS a major actor, and TellTale isn't exactly Bioware. They don't have a huge budget. And secondly...he is rather old. I'd hate for Season 2 to get started and then poor Chris has a big health issue. I don't want to see another "Dumbledore" situation like they had with the Harry Potter movies(I swear, Dumbledore seemed meaner after Michael Gambon took over). If Lloyd can't voice Doc, then there shouldn't be a second season.
  • edited June 2011
    caeska wrote: »
    That's a preposterous statement. I've been a big fan of the movies since when I first watched it at least 20 years ago. And many of the people on the forum who also are disappointed with the series also have ties with the movies.

That is however, no excuse for the poor quality of the adventure game, if it can even be called that.
    You are correct in that it is more of an interactive movie that you click your way through, it is the perfect example of how to not make a computer game.
    Yet if this were to be a movie the story would still be extremely weak. The story line is forced forwards time and time again, with no regards to natural story progression.
    They make ridicilous justifications to explain certain elements. Like this: Oh and by the way, the Delorean got cloned way back when which is how it appeared exactly where you were in 1986 in broad daylight even though it got destroyed by that train in October 1985.

So don't tell me that the story is good because it's just some crap that's been put together because the FANBOYS absolutely wanted the Delorean and teenage Marty to be featured, and TTG was too afraid to actually create something unique and original.

And also this is neither a puzzle game nor an adventure game. The puzzles can be solved by mindlessly clicking anything and trying out all the item combinations (which doesn't take long). That's a big no-no when designing puzzles and you don't create a game like that unless you intend for it to be played by monkeys.
    There is no opportunity to explore whatsoever, you are in an extremely small sandbox at all times you can't do anything that veers from the very linear and uninteresting storyline. That's a big no-no when designing an adventure game and you don't create a game like that unless you intend for it to be played by monkeys.

Now, the movies that were made back in the 80s, those are creative masterpieces that were way ahead of their time. I've always loved those films. But this game is an affront to those movies and I'm not going to be able to enjoy the films in the same way ever again I believe, because TTG has now stained them beyond repair by giving us a pre-school tool with a "Back to the Future" label on it and charging us 30 bucks for it.

Happy Family FuN time on a time train would have been such a Better idea.
  • edited June 2011
    Frankly, it depends on how Episode 5 will wrap it all up, in terms of story, puzzles, and overall quality.

It would be sad for me to not to play a second season of BTTF, but I wouldn't feel like to support a game, and a business model, that doesn't fulfill the quality I require for licences I love.
  • edited June 2011
    I soooooooooo would buy a second season!
  • edited June 2011
    Please stop ruining my genre. :(

Better idea. How about you stop acting like a child.
  • edited June 2011
    Don't need to read everyone's replies. As much as I freakin' love BttF and the story laid out for us by TellTale...I'm gonna have to go with a maybe on this one.

Reasons:
    1) As much as I love it, it did get a little tedious at times. And Einstein as a catch-all tracker all the time got...annoying.
    2) The story. We don't necessarily know how Episode 5 will wrap up. As much as I'd like to see the story of Marty and Doc continue for much longer, unless it has a good story, it shouldn't be done. I don't want to see a Season 2 for the sake of a Season 2. Even if Jurassic Park is already confirmed to have multiple seasons.
    3) Christopher Lloyd. No, this isn't a complaint about the man himself. In fact, he proved to me that he still has it in him to be Doc Brown, even if only in voice. My problem is two-fold. One is that he IS a major actor, and TellTale isn't exactly Bioware. They don't have a huge budget. And secondly...he is rather old. I'd hate for Season 2 to get started and then poor Chris has a big health issue. I don't want to see another "Dumbledore" situation like they had with the Harry Potter movies(I swear, Dumbledore seemed meaner after Michael Gambon took over). If Lloyd can't voice Doc, then there shouldn't be a second season.

Hey ShadowKnight1, I think that this point is totally with no sense. I understund you, but if all of us were thinking like you, we wouldn't be able to watch films like Clint Eastwood's 'Gran Torino', because Clint is old right now, he could pass away before he end the movie!

The same stuff with books, TV shows or videogames.

PS: I'm sorry if I sounded rude, I have to get a better English level >.<!
  • Don't need to read everyone's replies. As much as I freakin' love BttF and the story laid out for us by TellTale...I'm gonna have to go with a maybe on this one.

Reasons:

1) Einstein was possibly made a bit too smart and featured more than in the movies where he's only in 2 scenes in part I, a fair amount in the first half of part II but only one scene in part III. But the reality is that he was barely in episode 2 and I dont believe he was seen at all in episode 4
    2) There's been a lot of tv shows where the second season was on the bubble but ended up being highly successful
    3) Looking at chris in interviews and stuff, it's suprising he can still voice act and live act at that level. But he's still got it; check out the movie Piranah. Kind of cheezy teen fun but he's in 3 or 4 scenes and steals every one.
  • edited June 2011
    Better idea. How about you stop acting like a child.

If I were acting like a child, I'd be playing BttF and finding the puzzles satisfying and challenging. Wait, nevermind, they wouldn't even challenge a child who was unable to read or use basic logic.

The fact that all of the "casual" fans are essentially telling TTG that it's okay for them to make something that isn't even a game by the loosest definition of the term, is absolutely horrible. Thanks for ruining one of my favorite development studios.
  • edited June 2011
    1) Einstein was possibly made a bit too smart and featured more than in the movies where he's only in 2 scenes in part I, a fair amount in the first half of part II but only one scene in part III. But the reality is that he was barely in episode 2 and I dont believe he was seen at all in episode 4
    2) There's been a lot of tv shows where the second season was on the bubble but ended up being highly successful
    3) Looking at chris in interviews and stuff, it's suprising he can still voice act and live act at that level. But he's still got it; check out the movie Piranah. Kind of cheezy teen fun but he's in 3 or 4 scenes and steals every one.

I know that Chris Lloyd still has it. Perhaps I'm a little "gun-shy" because of how many older actors have been passing away lately.

If I were acting like a child, I'd be playing BttF and finding the puzzles satisfying and challenging. Wait, nevermind, they wouldn't even challenge a child who was unable to read or use basic logic.

The fact that all of the "casual" fans are essentially telling TTG that it's okay for them to make something that isn't even a game by the loosest definition of the term, is absolutely horrible. Thanks for ruining one of my favorite development studios.

Then apply for a job at TellTale and make it better. Constant griping won't accomplish anything except annoy those of us who enjoyed the games.
  • edited June 2011
    Nope.

Okay, I would. But only if it were on sale for really cheap or given away for free with something else good.
  • edited June 2011
    Then apply for a job at TellTale and make it better. Constant griping won't accomplish anything except annoy those of us who enjoyed the barely interactive poorly animated machinimas.

There, I fixed it for you.
  • edited June 2011

I'm not a casual, I have been players so much adventure games in my life, like Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, Maniac Mansion, or other non LucasArts games, like Runaway, Hollywood Monsters (the second part has arrived now, and it's called The Next Big Thing) or Sanitarium.

What I'm saying is that, like you and other members here, I'm a usual player of this genre. I agree about your opinion, this game as a game (how ironic) isn't as good as I would wanted, but the story rocks! :D

So, because the story, I wish a second season, am I a casual? :rolleyes:

PS: How I say before, my English is not as good as I would wanted, so, if I sounded rude or I had a mistake, excuse me.
  • edited June 2011
    Nice Boat wrote: »
    I'm not a casual, I have been players so much adventure games in my life, like Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, Maniac Mansion, or other non LucasArts games, like Runaway, Hollywood Monsters (the second part has arrived now, and it's called The Next Big Thing) or Sanitarium.

What I'm saying is that, like you and other members here, I'm a usual player of this genre. I agree about your opinion, this game as a game (how ironic) isn't as good as I would wanted, but the story rocks! :D

PS: How I say before, my English is not as good as I would wanted, so, if I sounded rude or I had a mistake, excuse me.

I have no problem with there being an "easy mode" for people that don't want to think when they play it, but I have no reason to buy a game if playing it is exactly the same thing as just watching a Let's Play on Youtube. I think any self-respecting gamer should demand that TTG actually put some effort into any further games in the series, if they do continue it. Asking for more of the same sub-par crap is a bad idea.

"Yeah the current game sucks, but I'll gladly pay you if you make a second one just like it!" does not convince Telltale that they need to actually spend time improving the quality of the game.
  • edited June 2011
    Nice Boat wrote: »

Just don't bother man. Some people want to act like spoiled children and can't be reasoned with. It's just easier to put them on ignore and move on. Besides they've been shown to be in the minority by looking at the poll.
  • edited June 2011
    Just don't bother man. Some people want to act like spoiled children and can't be reasoned with. It's just easier to put them on ignore and move on. Besides they've been shown to be in the minority by looking at the poll.

I'm a spoiled child because I paid for a game and expected to receive a game?
  • edited June 2011

Since when is insulting every single person that enjoys something anything but childish? If you were saying "everyone that likes Twilight is gay" or "everyone that plays Call of Duty is retarded," would those be intelligent, adult statements to make? Of course not. How is "everyone that likes BTTF is a child" different?

I have to tell you, as much as I agree with you and Rather Dashing about the game's quality, you really are overdoing the shit out of it now. BTTF: The Game is a game. I will agree with you that it's a shitty game, sure, but come on. Whether it's interactive enough for you or not, it is still interactive. You still have to do things. You have to maneuver Marty around, you have to make dialogue choices, you have to solve puzzles. You have to do everything you had to do in Sam and Max and Tales of Monkey Island. Is it way too easy and way too boring? Absolutely, in my opinion. Is it fundamentally different on the level you seem to think it is? Certainly not.
  • edited June 2011

No. That is not correct. As has been stated, the people who vote "yes" on this poll are generally casual gamers who don't care about quality, many of them willing to accept any crap that gets churned out into the market today.

The people who vote "no on this poll are generally well-educated, intelligent, unbiased and mature sentient beings who respond positively to quality entertainment. And most of those people's opinions have been explained, in detail, many places on this forum with the exact reasoning for their beliefs.

There are not many good arguments for why BTTF is a good game (at least not presented in any convincing manner) while there are a thousand well-founded arguments for why it is not.
    Why is that I wonder? Says a little bit about which age group respond positively to the BTTF game, in my opinion.

So this poll? Worthless. Doesn't reflect overall opinion accurately one bit.
  • edited June 2011
    I would, if its a improvment from season 1.
  • edited June 2011
    No. That is not correct. As has been stated, the people who vote "yes" on this poll are generally casual gamers who don't care about quality, many of them willing to accept any crap that gets churned out into the market today.

The people who vote "no on this poll are generally well-educated, intelligent, unbiased and mature sentient beings who respond positively to quality entertainment. And most of those people's opinions have been explained, in detail, many places on this forum with the exact reasoning for their beliefs.

There are not many good arguments for why BTTF is a good game (at least not presented in any convincing manner) while there are a thousand well-founded arguments for why it is not.
    Why is that I wonder? Says a little bit about which age group respond positively to the BTTF game, in my opinion.

Oh yes because someone that likes something you don't they're a casual gamer now. Gee the tons of games I've been playing since the 2600 must mean I'm a casual gamer. Just another child to add to the list.

On second thought forget that. Have fun on the forum crying about how everything sucks and anyone who doesn't agree with you is a casual, loser, moron, etc because you've driven off another person who don't want to constantly read your stupidity.
  • edited June 2011

So the people who vote yes are neither intelligent, mature or well educated. And all those who voted no are devoid of bias. Mischaracterizing those you disagree with is bad tact.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.