Poll: Would you buy BTTF if a Season 2 is made?

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    1.Im sorry, it is called "Back To the Future: THE GAME" isnt it?
    2.No we are not after that kind of gameplay. We are for PUZZLES! Thats the point of adventure games, puzzles. Something BTTF has. We expected stuff like how Sam and Max puzzles were. If you dont get that, then go play Abe Lincoln Must Die which, like episode 1 of BTTF THE GAME, is free. THAT is what we wanted, actual puzzles.

Are you kidding? I NEVER got stuck on S&M:ALMD, those puzzles really sucked balls, and the storyline was predictable, although had a few funny moments. BTTF is leagues ahead of that sorry game.
  • edited June 2011
    caeska wrote: »
    No. That is not correct. As has been stated, the people who vote "yes" on this poll are generally casual gamers who don't care about quality, many of them willing to accept any crap that gets churned out into the market today.

Excuse me BUTTHEAD. I've been playing games since I could hold a God**** NES controller. Just because I haven't played every single point-and-click since they began doesn't make me a casual gamer. Frankly, this is the same kind of argument that people have been using to say that J.J. Abrams has "ruined" Star Trek. Your "facts" are your opinions. Nothing more. They're annoying, pointless, and frankly, borderline rude to every person out there that DOES enjoy this game. I think the very idea that you continue to post here about how much you hate the game shows just how little of a life you have. Maybe go outside and breathe some fresh air for the first time in years.
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks for ruining one of my favorite development studios.

You're welcome! :)
  • edited June 2011
    No. That is not correct. As has been stated, the people who vote "yes" on this poll are generally casual gamers who don't care about quality, many of them willing to accept any crap that gets churned out into the market today.

The people who vote "no on this poll are generally well-educated, intelligent, unbiased and mature sentient beings who respond positively to quality entertainment. And most of those people's opinions have been explained, in detail, many places on this forum with the exact reasoning for their beliefs.

There are not many good arguments for why BTTF is a good game (at least not presented in any convincing manner) while there are a thousand well-founded arguments for why it is not.
    Why is that I wonder? Says a little bit about which age group respond positively to the BTTF game, in my opinion.

So this poll? Worthless. Doesn't reflect overall opinion accurately one bit.

The people who voted "NO" on this poll mate probably have to much time on their hands and spend a lot of time indoors which makes them very picky. I'm a exceptionally consistent gamer and I say "YES". Main reason being that TTG is the first company to produce a decent BTTF game.

Although putting quality into the picture I believe this game was very rushed which always takes a lot out of the game because less thought, design and ideas were produced in the making.

Oh, I'm also well educated and intelligent (university) and mature for my age (that's what my mom tells me ;)
  • edited June 2011
    miketh2005 wrote: »
    Are you kidding? I NEVER got stuck on S&M:ALMD, those puzzles really sucked balls, and the storyline was predictable, although had a few funny moments. BTTF is leagues ahead of that sorry game.

Could you please tell me how it's better? What parts of BTTF's "puzzles" were better than ALMD's puzzles?
  • edited June 2011

The people who vote "no on this poll are generally well-educated, intelligent, unbiased and mature sentient beings who respond positively to quality entertainment. And most of those people's opinions have been explained, in detail, many places on this forum with the exact reasoning for their beliefs.

There are not many good arguments for why BTTF is a good game (at least not presented in any convincing manner) while there are a thousand well-founded arguments for why it is not.
    Why is that I wonder? Says a little bit about which age group respond positively to the BTTF game, in my opinion.

So this poll? Worthless. Doesn't reflect overall opinion accurately one bit.

Careful. You err toward becoming that which you speak of. You are presenting your opinions as facts, and insulting anyone who happens to have different tastes from you. People who voted 'Yes' are people who enjoyed the game for what it is. People who voted 'No' are people who did not enjoy the game. That's the only 'fact'. It doesn't give you the right to insult those who see things in a different light.

I would buy a second season, because I enjoyed the first. I see it more of a interactive continuation to the movies than a game. Yes, the gameplay is lackluster on account of being virtually non-existent, but I still enjoy it because of the story. I can very well see why some people would not enjoy it- it's supposed to be a game, and it's instead an interactive, linear movie- and they are entitled to their opinion. I would ask that they respect the opinions of those who feel otherwise. I would also ask the people who enjoyed the game to respect the opinions of those who did not.

There's no reason for us to insult each other when we just have differing views on what constitutes entertainment. My dad enjoys football; all I see is a group of grown men running in to each other to get a ball. All he sees when he watches me play most of my games are flashing colours and indecipherable mess.

So; I would buy a second season, because I enjoy the continuing storyline. I would prefer the next season to be more akin to Sam and Max in its gameplay, but I can do without that. That said, I would prefer a new Sam and Max season or a Tales of Monkey Island season to a new BTTF season; but I would still buy one.
  • edited June 2011
    Maybe, but this time i'll wait for the whole 2nd series to pop out first.
    i wont be anticipating each episode eagerly.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2011
    Guys, enough with the personal slanging matches. You can have an opinion without denigrating everyone who doesn't share it.
  • edited June 2011
    I would buy it becaue im a fan, to be honest this season had a lot of chances to be awesome but so far its pretty dull but it has got good qualitys.
  • edited June 2011
    Honestly? Not straight away. I'd wait for it to be reduced somewhere.
  • edited June 2011
    Likelihood is, the first season is more of an introduction to adventure games for new people. A second season has a justifiable reason to be harder.

I would buy Season 2.
  • edited June 2011
    Likelihood is, the first season is more of an introduction to adventure games for new people. A second season has a justifiable reason to be harder.

I would buy Season 2.
    I don't think that was it's goal at all. A proper introduction would start the way it did, certainly. Ease players into concepts such as the inventory, item interaction, exploring the environment, etc.

But we're on the fourth episode by now. Something meant as an introduction would have expanded on more concepts, provided greater challenges as it went on, and otherwise have "felt" more like an adventure game. I feel like the "click to continue" gameplay was an entirely intended effect to get very, very casual players(people who've never picked up games before) through to the end. No more. It comes off as very cynical, to me.
  • edited June 2011
    Anyway......

If this was marketing research currently 66% say yes and 20% say no.

Looks like the majority of people liked the game and want more.
  • edited June 2011
    I'm undecided.

Like many have said with each episode and in this thread, this season was not much of a game at all. It was a slightly-interactive 3D nostalgia session. I kept thinking TellTale would take well-written feedback given and try to improve upon the flaws of the previous episode with each new installment, but they didn't. If anything, the game has gotten worse as it goes.

The only exception to me was the puzzle in Young Doc's lab (Episode 4). It wasn't difficult, but it took a little bit of thought (even though the game straight-up told you how to do it). Argh ... now I'm thinking that was more obnoxious time-sink than puzzle.

I like the nostalgia of it all, but it's really been a bit boring / frustrating as a game.
  • edited June 2011
    KoolMoeDee wrote: »
    If this was marketing research currently 66% say yes and 20% say no.

Looks like the majority of people liked the game and want more.
    Sadly, the game sold far more than 126 copies(the current number of total votes as of this post). There are various issues with the sample, not the least of which being the self-selection bias.

Now, it's POSSIBLE that most people loved it and want to buy more of it, but this poll can't be used as proof.
  • edited June 2011
    Why do some people express their opinions so loudly instead of just calmly stating they would(n't) like it and why? There is no need to get personal! I couldn't call myself particularly mature or well-educated (still at school), but I see no reason for petty name-calling, which this is becoming. I also don't see why most of the criticism is along the lines of "This game is **** and I never want to go anywhere near anything so vile in my entire life. Telltale and anyone who likes this game are ****." Somehow, I think we all need to put on some constructive criticism.

I myself do not play lots of adventure games, but I prefer a good storyline to good graphics. I'd better go now, phone battery low.
  • edited June 2011
    I'd buy it. :D Been enjoying it thus far.
  • edited June 2011
    I'd buy a second season, yeah. This poll wouldn't be a good judge of fan interest simply because the people with indifferent or negative opinions are less likely to look twice at it, compared to hopeful fans rooting for more. But yeah, more would be okay. This whole season I've been waiting for a follow up to Doc's offhand remark about visiting Marty and Jen in 2011, and I may be in the minority but I really wanted to see Clara, Jules, and Verne.
  • edited June 2011
    Sadly, the game sold far more than 126 copies(the current number of total votes as of this post). There are various issues with the sample, not the least of which being the self-selection bias.

Now, it's POSSIBLE that most people loved it and want to buy more of it, but this poll can't be used as proof.

Yeah yeah I know. This poll could be used as a sample test group but it would not be random. Seeing as the people looking in this BTTF game forum are mostly BTTF fans its only natural that "YES" would be of a higher percentage.
  • edited June 2011
    Person #23 wrote: »
    I'd better go now, phone battery low.

LOL What a waste of battery :)
  • edited June 2011
    I was originally on the fence on whether I was going to pick up BttF: TG. I like the movies but I'm not crazy about them. In the end I balked and picked it up mostly due to how pleased I've been with all of Telltale's other games.

To say I was disappointed with the final product would be a massive understatement. There is no way I'd pick up a sequel unless Telltale promised to completely overhaul the gameplay and make a game that is interactive and challenging.
  • edited June 2011
    i would in my mind the b2tf games are the most amazing games around
  • edited June 2011

You're also not counting the people who are only registered so that they can play their TellTale games and don't come onto the forums. Not to mention that some people don't feel the need to come onto a site to gush about how much they love a game and feel that their continued support shows how much they love the games. And I'm sure there are people out there who hate the game but prefer to let Rather Dashing here do all the complaining for them.

All in all, no, this poll cannot be used as proof and SHOULD not be. In fact, I honestly think it should be closed and then re-opened anew after Episode 5 is out. I don't know about the rest of you, but to me, a second season depends on the wrap up.
  • edited June 2011
    I don't think that was it's goal at all. A proper introduction would start the way it did, certainly. Ease players into concepts such as the inventory, item interaction, exploring the environment, etc.

But we're on the fourth episode by now. Something meant as an introduction would have expanded on more concepts, provided greater challenges as it went on, and otherwise have "felt" more like an adventure game. I feel like the "click to continue" gameplay was an entirely intended effect to get very, very casual players(people who've never picked up games before) through to the end. No more. It comes off as very cynical, to me.

They could still make Season 2 a lot more challenging.
  • edited June 2011
    They could still make Season 2 a lot more challenging.

They could, but if the first season is selling well, and what appears to be a majority of players don't seem to care that there are very very few puzzles, why would they bother spending resources designing puzzles in a possible sequel? Maybe they'll even dust off the good ol' "marketplace realities" term to justify it, too.
  • edited June 2011
    ...All in all, no, this poll cannot be used as proof and SHOULD not be. In fact, I honestly think it should be closed and then re-opened anew after Episode 5 is out. I don't know about the rest of you, but to me, a second season depends on the wrap up.

This poll will in fact be closing in a couple of days, because that's what it is set up for. Nothing to get excited about though, this isn't official research or anything, I just posted it so we could get some idea of what people were thinking on this topic. It succeeds in that regard, regardless of whether the poll is accurate for marketability purposes, which I am sure I agree that it is not. It's just a poll for fun, someone will probably post a new one after Episode 5 wraps up, and that would be interesting as well.
  • edited June 2011
    You're also not counting the people who are only registered so that they can play their TellTale games and don't come onto the forums. Not to mention that some people don't feel the need to come onto a site to gush about how much they love a game and feel that their continued support shows how much they love the games. And I'm sure there are people out there who hate the game but prefer to let Rather Dashing here do all the complaining for them.
    Right, it doesn't count those. It also doesn't count people who simply thought it was "okay, but wouldn't buy again", or really anyone who disliked it and doesn't hang out in Telltale's forums as a normal rule(probably a lot of people, though obviously could be far less than those who like it and want a lot more). We simply don't know, because it's not a scientific poll and it wasn't meant to be one. There's an inherent issue with sample self-selection in that it can be very strongly skewed in any possible direction.

I'd like to be completely clear though, I'm not saying it's wrong that most people love it. I'm not saying that the secret majority hates this game and that a sequel would be financially unsuccessful. I'm just saying that, outside of the approximately 130 people who've voted(and chose to vote, while actively reading the Back to the Future forums, four episodes into the game), we really don't know. Just because I think it's a strong candidate for worst game ever made does not mean I'm so certain that everyone else thinks the same way I do about it.
  • edited June 2011
    Well what we can be sure of though............

At this point in time as this message was posted there will be at least 109 people to purchase the new season.

109 x 25 = $2725

OMG thats more than TTG spent on the first season.......... LOLz
  • edited June 2011
    I've just seen the thread. My answer is an absolute no. It's not kept in secrecy anyway, you know, I dislike the game by far and I tried to reason it out in the forums over and over. I also have a friend who's actually a game reviewer for a gaming website of native sources and he has a similar opinion with me. Actually, we are going to make a video review of the entire season for the site after the season ends.

Although it'll be in Turkish so I don't think I should post it here.
  • edited June 2011
    Right, it doesn't count those. It also doesn't count people who simply thought it was "okay, but wouldn't buy again", or really anyone who disliked it and doesn't hang out in Telltale's forums as a normal rule(probably a lot of people, though obviously could be far less than those who like it and want a lot more). We simply don't know, because it's not a scientific poll and it wasn't meant to be one. There's an inherent issue with sample self-selection in that it can be very strongly skewed in any possible direction.

I'd like to be completely clear though, I'm not saying it's wrong that most people love it. I'm not saying that the secret majority hates this game and that a sequel would be financially unsuccessful. I'm just saying that, outside of the approximately 130 people who've voted(and chose to vote, while actively reading the Back to the Future forums, four episodes into the game), we really don't know. Just because I think it's a strong candidate for worst game ever made does not mean I'm so certain that everyone else thinks the same way I do about it.

Someone hasn't played Big Rigs racing.
  • edited June 2011
    Ashki wrote: »
    Someone hasn't played Big Rigs racing.
    Plenty of people haven't. I have, though. And E.T. And Superman 64.
  • edited June 2011
    Plenty of people haven't. I have, though.

And yet, you have the audacity to call this the worst game ever? Son, I think you be trolling, and if you hate this game so much, why the Hell are you even on these forums?
  • edited June 2011
    And yet, you have the audacity to call this the worst game ever? Son, I think you be trolling, and if you hate this game so much, why the Hell are you even on these forums?
    A strong candidate for. But yes, I do consider Back to the Future: The Game to be in the same league as Big Rigs, Superman 64, and E.T. for the Atari 2600. If WORSE than those titles, it is one of their peers. It probably dips just under a proper "Worst Game Ever" label due to simply being less mechanically broken(less, since this game isn't without its, for example, floating magical paint cans).

I'm here because I have an interest in this company's future. They have access to the King's Quest license, Steve Purcell intends to continue giving them access to Sam and max "as long as they want it", and they could potentially be doing another Monkey Island sequel. Of course I care if there's a new company direction that cares more about marketplace realities than making something that is actually what its title proclaims it is.
  • edited June 2011
    It's just like saying "Well, have you eaten actual SHIT? Okay, so you can bear yourself!" to someone who doesn't want to eat gravy with beans. No point in saying that, no point to shield yourself behind of. If Dashing even made you compare the game with one of the most known extreme examples, it's pretty much obvious that he kind of wins the arguement.

It's Telltale Games forums, not Back to the Future: The Game forums. He's against it because he cares about the franchise, the quality standarts of the game developing company he once liked and so forth. Expressing negative thoughts isn't trolling. Forcing people to praise everything blindly, however, is.
  • edited June 2011
    A strong candidate for. But yes, I do consider Back to the Future: The Game to be in the same league as Big Rigs, Superman 64, and E.T. for the Atari 2600. If WORSE than those titles, it is one of their peers. It probably dips just under a proper "Worst Game Ever" label due to simply being less mechanically broken(less, since this game isn't without its, for example, floating magical paint cans).

I'm here because I have an interest in this company's future. They have access to the King's Quest license, Steve Purcell intends to continue giving them access to Sam and max "as long as they want it", and they could potentially be doing another Monkey Island sequel. Of course I care if there's a new company direction that cares more about marketplace realities than making something that is actually what its title proclaims it is.

Son, you be trolling if you consider it as bad as the game that nearly caused the video game market to crash.
  • edited June 2011
    Falanca wrote: »
    It's just like saying "Well, have you eaten actual SHIT? Okay, so you can bear yourself!" to someone who doesn't want to eat gravy with beans. No point in saying that, no point to shield yourself behind of. If Dashing even made you compare the game with one of the most known extreme examples, it's pretty much obvious that he kind of wins the arguement.

It's Telltale Games forums, not Back to the Future: The Game forums. He's against it because he cares about the franchise, the quality standarts of the game developing company he once liked and so forth. Expressing negative thoughts isn't trolling. Forcing people to praise everything blindly, however, is.

No, when you compare it to the likes of Big Rigs Over the Road Racing, Superman 64, and the game that nearly caused the video game industry to DIE, you be trolling.
  • edited June 2011
    Son, you be trolling if you consider it as bad as the game that nearly caused the video game market to crash.

Even if he's trolling, what's the problem anyway? Why are you against it? Why do you think it's ethically wrong? Could it be considered a valid "trolling" if said trolling has truth or actual thought in it? If so, is trolling always bad?

See, digging deep isn't all THAT hard, given ANY kind of subject. You should try that instead of resorting to blandness and obvious.
  • edited June 2011
    Falanca wrote: »
    Even if he's trolling, what's the problem anyway? Why are you against it? Why do you think it's ethically wrong? Could it be considered a valid "trolling" if said trolling has truth or actual thought in it? If so, is trolling always bad?

See, digging deep isn't all THAT hard, given ANY kind of subject. You should try that instead of resorting to blandness and obvious.

It's annoying as Hell, that's why, and yes, and why are you against me being against him trolling?
  • edited June 2011
    It's annoying as Hell, that's why, and yes, and why are you against me being against him trolling?

Simply, trolling or not, he has valid points.

He's one of the several (if not less) people in these forums actual negative (and valid) criticism in these boards. I'd call it "refreshing" rather than "annoying". Annoying is generally caused by repetition and redundancy. Much like you keep saying trolling over and over again without trying argue on his actual points on the game.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.