Poll: Would you buy BTTF if a Season 2 is made?

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Scnew wrote: »
    SHODAN, enough with the "it's not even a game" malarky. What the hell is your definition of a game? BTTF requires player input to move forward. You walk around. You choose what Marty says. You figure out what to use where. I know it's easy as sin, I know there's not a lot to do, but that doesn't automatically make it a movie or whatever you're trying to say it is.

95% of the "puzzles" are solved by clicking on whatever item is the only clickable item on screen. And don't worry, it'll zoom in on the item you need and hold for several seconds just to make sure you don't miss what they want you to click on next.

This is like if you were playing Doom and all the enemies painted targets on themselves and stood still without attacking you and waited patiently for you to shoot them. It's not a game if you don't have to use any thought, skill, or effort to play it.
  • edited June 2011
    I would so long as its about the misadventures of Doc's kids, with extremely education history lessons.
  • edited June 2011
    I agree that it might not be the best "game". There really isn't any challenge and interactivity is limited. However, I am still grateful that TellTale was the company to make it. TellTale were the ones that got Bob Gale involved. TellTale wrote the script and provided the awesome voice actors. Yes, I believe it might have worked better as a CG movie of some sort. But, if the license didn't come to TellTale, chances are, Bob Gale wouldn't be involved and we wouldn't have had as solid of a script and a big part of the original cast return.

So, in a perfect world, Bioware or Naughty Dog would have made the game with TellTale providing the script and acting. However, since this world is inherently imperfect I would still settle for a Season 2 (of my favorite franchise of all time) with TellTale.
  • edited June 2011
    You're right, Scnew, plus there is always the possibility that some people will get it for free, as well.

I haven't played Heavy Rain, but what I've played of Back to the Future was definitely more like a movie and less like a game than LA Noire was.

Oh, and Ashki, when you put someone on ignore, it tells you when they make a post, and you have the option to see it if you want to, without taking them off your ignore list. If there is reason to believe a post is actually interesting, it makes sense using that option. Right now you're into more trouble for ignoring the post that you would have been if reading it in the first place.

Oh, also. You say "E.T. did nearly destroy the gaming industry". No it didn't. Rather Dashing proved so in his post. And as long as you don't read it, you won't be able to see his arguments, or counter them, so he has the final word on this so far.
  • edited June 2011
    Avistew wrote: »
    You're right, Scnew, plus there is always the possibility that some people will get it for free, as well.

I haven't played Heavy Rain, but what I've played of Back to the Future was definitely more like a movie and less like a game than LA Noire was.

Oh, and Ashki, when you put someone on ignore, it tells you when they make a post, and you have the option to see it if you want to, without taking them off your ignore list. If there is reason to believe a post is actually interesting, it makes sense using that option. Right now you're into more trouble for ignoring the post that you would have been if reading it in the first place.

That's everyone else's problem, basically, he irritated me to the point of no return by comparing Back to the likes of those games that are actually awful.
  • edited June 2011
    Ashki wrote: »
    That's everyone else's problem, basically, he irritated me to the point of no return by comparing Back to the likes of those games that are actually awful.

I understand that you had a strong reaction because you liked Back to the Future and he didn't. But he explained why he didn't like it, and why he thinks it's terrible as a game. I also think it's a bad game. I think it's a great mini-series though. Well, many not great, but not terrible, for sure.

But just because he has an opinion different from yours (he likes the BttF game less, maybe he hates the ET game less too for instance) doesn't mean you can act like you did, which is calling him a troll while acting like one yourself, repeating the same sentence "ET nearly crashed the game industry" without backing it up like anyone who disagrees with that is a moron or something, and insulting him.

Hell, if you want to ignore him, I don't personally care, but post after post just saying "you're a troll" and "lol no" ARE trolling, while he most definitely hasn't been, he's been giving his opinion. So at the very least, please make posts with actual content and try to explain why you feel a certain way. It's not obvious to people who read you, because we can't read your mind and not everyone shares your tastes.

You think it's scary that some people loved ET because it sucks. Someone who loved ET would be as hurt and offended by your posts (if not moreso) than you were by Dashing's. But at least he's always explained WHY he thinks the game is bad, and he's gone through a lot effort to do it, while you just repeat the same sentence over and over again as though it would start convincing people the 10th time.
  • edited June 2011
    Even though I've gotten annoyed with Rather Dashing in the past - I thought that, this time, he wasn't too bad. He seemed quite civil, in fact - and he recognizes that it's okay for people to disagree with his views. So, for that, I give him credit.

While I wouldn't be against a second season, I still maintain that it's be more cool for another gaming company to tackle Back to the Future.
  • edited June 2011
    Avistew wrote: »
    I understand that you had a strong reaction because you liked Back to the Future and he didn't. But he explained why he didn't like it, and why he thinks it's terrible as a game. I also think it's a bad game. I think it's a great mini-series though. Well, many not great, but not terrible, for sure.

But just because he has an opinion different from yours (he likes the BttF game less, maybe he hates the ET game less too for instance) doesn't mean you can act like you did, which is calling him a troll while acting like one yourself, repeating the same sentence "ET nearly crashed the game industry" without backing it up like anyone who disagrees with that is a moron or something, and insulting him.

Hell, if you want to ignore him, I don't personally care, but post after post just saying "you're a troll" and "lol no" ARE trolling, while he most definitely hasn't been, he's been giving his opinion. So at the very least, please make posts with actual content and try to explain why you feel a certain way. It's not obvious to people who read you, because we can't read your mind and not everyone shares your tastes.

You think it's scary that some people loved ET because it sucks. Someone who loved ET would be as hurt and offended by your posts (if not moreso) than you were by Dashing's. But at least he's always explained WHY he thinks the game is bad, and he's gone through a lot effort to do it, while you just repeat the same sentence over and over again as though it would start convincing people the 10th time.

Okay, you want to know why, it's because I can't, apparently Dashing was on the debate team or something, but damnit, pointing out reasons is not something I'm good at.

All I know is that no, it's nowhere near the awfulness of games like ET. Big Rigs and Superman 64 like he thinks.
  • edited June 2011
    95% of the "puzzles" are solved by clicking on whatever item is the only clickable item on screen. And don't worry, it'll zoom in on the item you need and hold for several seconds just to make sure you don't miss what they want you to click on next.

This is like if you were playing Doom and all the enemies painted targets on themselves and stood still without attacking you and waited patiently for you to shoot them. It's not a game if you don't have to use any thought, skill, or effort to play it.

You are doing the exact same thing in Back to the Future that you are doing in Sam and Max, in Monkey Island, in Wallace and Gromit, in The Dig, in Dragonsphere, in Grim Fandango, in Day of the Tentacle, etc. It's much, much, easier, and arguably much, much less satisfying, yes, but come on. Stop acting like it's something drastically different in formula. It's like arguing that playing Mass Effect on very easy mode isn't a game anymore because your teammates will kill everything on their own and all you have to do is point Shepard around, or arguing that little kids playing Chutes and Ladders aren't playing a game because all they're doing is rolling dice.
  • edited June 2011
    By the way, to anyone listening, I wasn't ever on any sort of debate team. I dated a girl who was on a debate team for awhile, though that doesn't really reflect on me.

Anyway, my reasoning for placing it in that area is due to a definite lack of player agency. Your ability to choose actions is very limited, and thus you're often left with four possible actions on a screen, with only one of them actually providing a unique result for the input. Player agency exists in ET, Superman 64, and the Back to the Future NES games in that they offer full movement control and consequences that fit their genres. They are mainly held back by an incredible lack of balance(same issue as Back to the Future, but flipped so that the insane imbalance makes the game MORE difficult) and very shoddy and unresponsive controls(an issue BttF has, but it gets around it by locking off player movement). Believe me, if you're actually trying every possibility(as I've done), the bad controls get really obvious very quickly.
  • edited June 2011
    I dated a girl who was on a debate team...

Nice try, buddy.
  • edited June 2011
    URGH. Debate team women. Usually complete judgmental bitches.
  • edited June 2011
    URGH. Debate team women. Usually complete judgmental bitches.

I wouldn't disagree with certain personality related fetishes, really.
  • edited June 2011
    WOW

This is completely distressing, poignant and distasteful. Will the majority of you users discontinue your petty insignificant and inconsequential squabbles concerning who is trolling, why the game is good and why the game is bad. It's turning out to be very immature and irresponsible articulations of uncomplicated negligible subjects.

This forum was created plainly for the principle intention for consumers who procured the game to vote and elect their preference concerning a possible BTTF season 2, then to voice their central and fundamental reason as to why they elected that particular preference.

What this forum was not created for is ridiculous, impractical and preposterous behavior towards one-another. Its inevitable that some consumers will be satisfied while others are not.

Simply laying it out there........ Harden the !@#$ up people and stop bitching in front of your computer screens all day and night.
  • edited June 2011
    To be honest though, the concept of consumers who did not enjoy this game were alleged to be the intelligent and intellectual human beings compared and contrasted to the consumers who did enjoy this game that were alleged to be the unintelligent and brainless human beings of the gaming industry was absolutely amusing and hilarious.
  • edited June 2011
    KoolMoeDee wrote: »
    This forum was created plainly for the principle intention for consumers who procured the game to vote and elect their preference concerning a possible BTTF season 2, then to voice their central and fundamental reason as to why they elected that particular preference.
    I vote that we shouldn't have a Season Two.

I voted this way because Season One was the worst game I have ever played, bar none. Worse than Big Rigs Racing, worse than Back to the Future on the NES, worse than E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. At least those tried. This game was developed with such a startling and cynical lack of soul and with so much disregard and disdain for the final end-user that the product that came out of it is worse than any mechanically broken game could possibly hope to become. This game is that bad, and to make a sequel would show a complete lack of shame in something that should, at the very least, be considered among the worst things this company has ever produced. If this series were to be unceremoniously finished, with a bare-bones DVD and a complete lack of any expansion beyond the 5th episode, it will have gotten far more than it deserves.

There. Happy?

Also, "forum" refers to the entire structure("The Telltale Games Forum"), which contains many "subforums("General Chat", "Back to the Future", "Sam and Max"), and in those are user-made discussions called "threads". Please use correct terminology in the future.
  • edited June 2011
    Also, "forum" refers to the entire structure("The Telltale Games Forum"), which contains many "subforums("General Chat", "Back to the Future", "Sam and Max"), and in those are user-made discussions called "threads". Please use correct terminology in the future.

Thanks Dashing, well constructed.

Although its statements and commentaries like this quote of yours that I can see that the preponderance of users on these forums would abhorrence.
  • edited June 2011
    I vote that we shouldn't have a Season Two.

I voted this way because Season One was the worst game I have ever played, bar none. Worse than Big Rigs Racing, worse than Back to the Future on the NES, worse than E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. At least those tried. This game was developed with such a startling and cynical lack of soul and with so much disregard and disdain for the final end-user that the product that came out of it is worse than any mechanically broken game could possibly hope to become. This game is that bad, and to make a sequel would show a complete lack of shame in something that should, at the very least, be considered among the worst things this company has ever produced. If this series were to be unceremoniously finished, with a bare-bones DVD and a complete lack of any expansion beyond the 5th episode, it will have gotten far more than it deserves.

There. Happy?

I looked at this post and I wish I didn't. facepalm2.jpg

No, it is not worse then those games.
  • edited June 2011
    Ashki is not listing to logic or reason. He's mindlessly putting forward an opinion and attacking anyone who disagrees with him without engaging in any form of real debate. He's the troll here, not Dashing.
  • edited June 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    Ashki is not listing to logic or reason. He's mindlessly putting forward an opinion and attacking anyone who disagrees with him without engaging in any form of real debate. He's the troll here, not Dashing.

Not really, when you say such as it being bad as several games that should not have been made, several that really are the worst, no, I'm not the troll here.
  • edited June 2011
    You know what, it's obvious, I'm in the minorety here, I'm the one getting bashed for actually liking this game, so I'm done with this thread, basically, the stupidity is making my head hurt.
  • edited June 2011
    You know what, it's obvious, I'm in the minorety here, I'm the one getting bashed for actually liking this game, so I'm done with this thread, basically, the stupidity is making my head hurt.
    ...you missed the poll. You're easily in the majority in this thread when it comes to enjoying this game. You're just in the minority when it comes to thinking that, hey, it's okay to think people who don't like it(even strongly) are trolls and troublemakers.

I don't mean you any harm. :)
  • edited June 2011
    Ashki stop double posting and stop accusing dashing of being a troll. Name calling is not authorized on this board.
  • edited June 2011
    I don't mean you any harm. :)

Probably the truest thing he's ever said.

The plain and simple fact of the matter is, no matter how a game is made, someone will always bash it. Repeatedly. You can bet that if TellTale had made a game exactly like how Dashing wanted it, someone would be bashing it. We're all individual human beings with different points of view and varying opinions on this game. Some of us love the game and want more. Some of us love the game but are unsure if another season is necessary. Some of us just like the game and want to leave it at that. Some didn't like the game and want TellTale to improve. Some think the game is terrible and want TellTale to distance themselves from it as fast as possible. And none of those groups understand why the other groups feel the way they do. It's like trying to get a group of people to agree unanimously on pizza toppings. It's never going to happen.
  • edited June 2011
    Probably the truest thing he's ever said.

The plain and simple fact of the matter is, no matter how a game is made, someone will always bash it. Repeatedly. You can bet that if TellTale had made a game exactly like how Dashing wanted it, someone would be bashing it. We're all individual human beings with different points of view and varying opinions on this game. Some of us love the game and want more. Some of us love the game but are unsure if another season is necessary. Some of us just like the game and want to leave it at that. Some didn't like the game and want TellTale to improve. Some think the game is terrible and want TellTale to distance themselves from it as fast as possible. And none of those groups understand why the other groups feel the way they do. It's like trying to get a group of people to agree unanimously on pizza toppings. It's never going to happen.

Okay, I can accept that, but I still find comparing this game to some of the notoriously bad games there are, just a tiny bit much.
  • edited June 2011
    Okay, I can accept that, but I still find comparing this game to some of the notoriously bad games there are, just a tiny bit much.

Most of the games you cited were plagued with production troubles, lack of proper funding, and/or were rushed to make a deadline. Aside from their self-imposed monthly schedule's, Telltale's BttF series has been subject to no such problems, making the completely broken gameplay less forgivable in my opinion, hence why comparing it to some of the worst games in history is justifiable. At least Big Rigs and E.T. tried to be games, BttF: TG does most of the playing itself, leaving the player with very little to do aside from watching the characters talking.
  • edited June 2011

Okay, Ashki, look. You're acting ridicilous. You're saying you're in a minority, you're saying people bash you for liking it.

You tell people they're trolls just because they raise good points dedicated on subpar quality of this game. You bash people for not liking this game. To the point you give not-so-favorable opinions on the intelligence of such people. You keep saying the things that have no relevance to the point at hand whatsoever, and you still try to use them as a counterpoint even after it's proven they're not valid.

Noone wants you to dislike the game. Everyone wants you to stop harassing people for disliking the game. The same thing you think people are doing to you. Please take a look at your surroundings and talk after putting a decent amount of thought.

Keep being a hypocrite and this thread will go and on and on and you'll continue complaining about how haters are making you sad. The thing is, it all ends in you, not us.
  • edited June 2011
    I think I would buy it, yeah. Apart from being way too easy and linear, I like it a lot, mostly because it captures the feel of the movies so well. It's not as fun nor challenging as some other TTG games, so I understand why many people dislike it. As it has been said before, it's not that much of a game really, as it is a some sort of interactive CGI movie. But I think the story is good, and it's nice to see old characters back and people getting excited about BTTF again.
  • edited June 2011
    I think I would buy it, yeah. Apart from being way too easy and linear, I like it a lot, mostly because it captures the feel of the movies so well. It's not as fun nor challenging as some other TTG games, so I understand why many people dislike it. As it has been said before, it's not that much of a game really, as it is a some sort of interactive CGI movie. But I think the story is good, and it's nice to see old characters back and people getting excited about BTTF again.

While I agree with you on most of that(people as a whole aren't getting excited about BttF again, the game has had no advertisements on TV or anything like that), the good factors of the game aren't, to me, what will convince me to buy a sequel. I don't want a "sequel for the sake of there being a sequel". To be fair, that's what this game is. Yes, it's done fairly well, but to say that it's essential to the overall story of BttF is stretching it. Unless they can provide a great story to follow up on this one and are able to keep the cast they have, then I'll probably pass.
  • edited June 2011

When reading that, at first I thought Rather Dashing was a troll too. However, if you read his posts you will find that there actually is some logic behind it, and it's actually not too hard to defend his views. The first season of Back to the Future has a much lower difficulty compared to other Telltale games. So low, in fact, that you can pretty much just click on anything, and you'll get through the game. From a gameplay standpoint, that makes it incredibly stale.

I'm not agreeing it's a bad game though. I have only played the first episode, and I quite liked it.
    Anyway, my reasoning for placing it in that area is due to a definite lack of player agency. Your ability to choose actions is very limited, and thus you're often left with four possible actions on a screen, with only one of them actually providing a unique result for the input. Player agency exists in ET, Superman 64, and the Back to the Future NES games in that they offer full movement control and consequences that fit their genres. They are mainly held back by an incredible lack of balance(same issue as Back to the Future, but flipped so that the insane imbalance makes the game MORE difficult) and very shoddy and unresponsive controls(an issue BttF has, but it gets around it by locking off player movement). Believe me, if you're actually trying every possibility(as I've done), the bad controls get really obvious very quickly.

You make some very valid points here, but I don't agree that the likes of ET and Superman 64 are worse. The reason for this is very simple: a Superman fan or an ET fan can play their respective games and be incredibly annoyed at how stale they are. The little gameplay that's there won't even be played by most players because they have quit the game long before.

In the case of Back to the Future, these problems are not present. For a Back to the Future fan, the games are an enjoyable continuation of the movies. Yes, there are problems, but I think we can both agree that you can still play the game; it's not like there are weird glitches preventing you from playing or anything. For that reason, the game is actually quite enjoyable. The voice acting is good, the puzzles are quite clever and it's just fun to walk around with the characters you know. The thing that's holding it back is the low difficulty, making the puzzles less statisfying. All in all, that makes it an avarage game that should be avoided by adventure gamers, but should not be missed by Back to the Future fans.
  • edited June 2011
    The poll is closed now, but discussion is of course always open.

As I said before, I am one who would buy a second season of the game.

Personally, I would not be opposed at all to some of the suggestions here though, such as making the game harder. I do feel that the game has been fairly easy, and a harder game next time around would be a welcome change. The game has a hint system anyway, to help you along if you get stuck, so harder puzzles should still be doable either with or without the hints.
  • edited June 2011
    Can we stop saying that Big Rigs tried to be a real game?

Big Rigs was blatantly unfinished. You could drive off the map, through obstacles, accelerate in reverse infinitely, one of the maps didn't load, the other drivers in each race had no AI, the timer didn't even fit inside the little UI box made for it... etc.

Comparing a game to Big Rigs is like comparing a politician to Hitler.
  • edited June 2011

Big Rigs was blatantly unfinished. You could drive off the map, through obstacles, accelerate in reverse infinitely, one of the maps didn't load, the other drivers in each race had no AI, the timer didn't even fit inside the little UI box made for it... etc.

I think it would be more like comparing a politician to Groucho as Rufus T. Firefly. Because we know he wasn't trying at all.
  • edited June 2011

I had heard about Big Rigs, but never actually seen gameplay of it. A few minutes ago I watched Alex Navarro (from Gamespot)'s "review" of it, and it really blows. Apparently Metacritic only gave it an 8/100 -the lowest Metacritic score ever.

I don't think it's at all fair to say BTTF is that bad.
  • edited June 2011
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    I don't think it's at all fair to say BTTF is that bad.
    If nothing else though, the games are related a great deal more than people are willing to admit. People always note, for example, that you can drive outside of the visible area of the track and into a vast, white emptiness. But, like with Back to the Future's issues, you would never notice that if you played as intended(drive in circles around the track). Both games simply break if you try to do something you weren't expressly told to do. The main difference between Back to the Future and Big Rigs in terms of this failure is that Big Rigs isn't an entry in a genre that normally rewards exploration and experimentation.

Is Back to the Future worse? Probably not. But does it suffer from many of the same issues, and bring its own unique set of problems to the table? I'd say so, yeah. I think Back to the Future can treat that game as its peer, at least.
  • edited June 2011
    If nothing else though, the games are related a great deal more than people are willing to admit. People always note, for example, that you can drive outside of the visible area of the track and into a vast, white emptiness. But, like with Back to the Future's issues, you would never notice that if you played as intended(drive in circles around the track). Both games simply break if you try to do something you weren't expressly told to do. The main difference between Back to the Future and Big Rigs in terms of this failure is that Big Rigs isn't an entry in a genre that normally rewards exploration and experimentation.

Is Back to the Future worse? Probably not. But does it suffer from many of the same issues, and bring its own unique set of problems to the table? I'd say so, yeah. I think Back to the Future can treat that game as its peer, at least.

Among other differences are.
    1.BTTF doesnt let Marty walk through walls
    2.Marty can't reverse into hyperspace
    3.The sound and AI works in BTTF

I do see where you are going with this though.
  • edited June 2011
    Both games simply break if you try to do something you weren't expressly told to do.

What do you mean by break?
  • edited June 2011
    Bob Gale did say that the ending of Season 1 evokes the ending of the first film. That leads me to believe it will be open ended, plenty of room for a second season to be made. If it were, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
  • edited June 2011
    What do you mean by break?
    A couple quick examples:

t9gePl.jpg
    tSimzl.jpg
    UJpk7l.jpg

Or, if you go to the back alley before talking to Biff about the X:11 watch, you'll see Jennifer's paint can painting in the air:

n7Oa2l.jpg
  • edited June 2011
    A couple quick examples:

t9gePl.jpg
    tSimzl.jpg
    UJpk7l.jpg

Or, if you go to the back alley before talking to Biff about the X:11 watch, you'll see Jennifer's paint can painting in the air:

n7Oa2l.jpg

Oh, I see. But dont most games do this anyway. Maybe there are more in these games but most games have some sort of glitch similar to these kind of things. Personally I find it fun to try and break games like this.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.