Comic Con 2011: Concept Art, Screenshot, Vanaman Talks

edited October 2011 in The Walking Dead
Hi guys, I found this video interview with Vanaman, straight from Comic Con. They show some pretty sweet art in the background, including one screenshot (more media will be shown at the New York Comic Con). There's not a lot that's revealed right now, but all that talk about choices does sound very interesting. Can't wait to see more, this seems very different (in a good way) to Telltale's usual offerings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mdflubdzjU

Edit: More information here: http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/118/1183362p1.html

Sounds pretty great. Vanaman goes into a lot more detail about the kind of choices you get to make, and some of the scenarios you might encounter early on in the game. Can't wait!

Comments

• edited July 2011
    http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/wd/images072111/

Wow. wow. wow. The concept art is fabulous. The screenshot is absolutely amazing!! I still can't believe this is an actual in game screenshot! I love the feel and direction this game is taking. Cannot wait!
  • edited July 2011
    Thanks 5abanja, great find!

I'm really happy that you guys have gone with a more stylised look for the human characters. Can't wait to see some zombies. Looks bloody amazing.
  • edited July 2011
    Wow, you managed to wake me up from sleepy lurking.

The screenshot is REALLY original... wonderful. :)

Please remember to put an actual, original game inside it. Back to the Future made me wary. :o
  • edited July 2011
    The artstyle is incredible!
  • edited July 2011
    OMG this is actually a screenshot of the game!!!!!!!

wdgamemotorinn.th.jpg

If this is the final game, it's the best graphic from Telltale.
    I'm a little bit worried about gameplay - BTTF scared me - and I really hope each episode will not last 30 minutes because it's so easy.
  • edited July 2011
    Wait wait wait. Didnt I call it in an earlier thread there might be things that could change how each episode goes?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2011
    That is an in-engine screenshot in the Telltale Tool! Full disclosure: The little girl was touched up a little bit after the fact by one of our artists because her in-game texture isn't as complete as the rest of the scene... but otherwise there's no trickery or cheating going on :).

We're not ready to talk about gameplay yet -- hopefully we'll have more to show at one of the other upcoming Summer conventions -- but it'll be different from BTTF.
  • edited July 2011
    Jake wrote: »
    That is an in-engine screenshot in the Telltale Tool :) The little girl was touched up a little bit because her art isn't as complete as the rest of the scene but otherwise there's no trickery or cheating going on.

We're not ready to talk about gameplay yet -- hopefully we'll have more to show at one of the other upcoming Summer conventions -- but it'll be different from BTTF.

Rather Dashing will love that one part.
    And back to what I just earlier said
    Gman5852 wrote:
    That could go with my "you get to see the story unfold again, but people can die at different times depending on how you play" theory.
    But looking back, that would be really hard to do episodicaly.
    HA! I freaking called it in a way. It just wont be a characters death each time.I will be playing through this game multiple times.
  • harrisonpinkharrisonpink Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2011
    The matchup between that in-game screenshot and the concept art still blows me away. The environment guys are super talented! :)
  • edited July 2011
    It's kind of interesting that you haven't actually shown any zombie concept art yet. :P
  • edited July 2011
    It's kind of interesting that you haven't actually shown any zombie concept art yet. :P

I guess that's because The Walking Dead isn't really about the zombies. It's more about people living in a world of zombies. :p
  • edited July 2011
    Diduz wrote: »
    I guess that's because The Walking Dead isn't really about the zombies. It's more about people living in a world of zombies. :p

True, but we do need to see some form of zombies, I mean they ARE a problem. And the reason the series even started.
    And I havent said this yet, but I do love the fact that decisions last to other episodes.
    I have a slight feeling that is why Marty could pick his name in BTTF, but at the same time I wonder, there was a bug that prevented that from actually working sometimes(worked for me), but what if that bug stays in this game? I would freaking hate to see a decision I made that saved the life of someone, only to see he is dead in the next episode.
    edited July 2011
    talesofmi_ch2_trenchfoot_hardtack-618x347.jpg
    Seriously, though, our zombies are awesome and we'll be showing them to you sometime this Summer, probably. Surely. Maybe. Definitely.
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    I have a slight feeling that is why Marty could pick his name in BTTF, but at the same time I wonder, there was a bug that prevented that from actually working sometimes(worked for me), but what if that bug stays in this game? I would freaking hate to see a decision I made that saved the life of someone, only to see he is dead in the next episode.
    Marty picking his name in BTTF was pretty separate from our desire to do choice-based stuff in Walking Dead. Marty being able to pick his name is one of my favorite things about BTTF -- it was a cool way of taking a hallmark of the franchise and putting it in people's hands to play with -- but we're also well aware of the fact that when that didn't work in BTTF it was super frustrating!
  • edited July 2011

Yeah, not to mention the disappearing savegames in Poker Night. They really need to recheck the engine if they want to pull off such a thing. Anyway, I doubt there will be much choice, due to Telltale budget.
  • edited July 2011
    Marty picking his name in BTTF was pretty separate from our desire to do choice-based stuff in Walking Dead. Marty being able to pick his name is one of my favorite things about BTTF -- it was a cool way of taking a hallmark of the franchise and putting it in people's hands to play with -- but we're also well aware of the fact that when that didn't work in BTTF it was super frustrating!

Good, Im glad to see you guys can hopefully prevent that from happening.
    Cant wait to see more information on this game:D
  • edited July 2011
    Brilliant ingame shot... its better than I think anyone imagined....
  • Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Wow, what an incredible screenshot! Great work Telltale!
  • edited July 2011
    WOW I like the direction this game is going. That screenshot looks fab and graphically the best from telltale thus far. It's mentioned that Glenn is in the first episode. It's good to know that characters from the comics are not being ignored completely, even though they are not the main focus.
  • OMAOMA
    edited July 2011
    Wow! The in-game screenshot looks just like the concept art! Great job!!

I hope it still looks impressive in motion.
  • edited July 2011
    Holy zombieschnitze, that looks amazing!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited July 2011
    That is an in-engine screenshot in the Telltale Tool! Full disclosure: The little girl was touched up a little bit after the fact by one of our artists because her in-game texture isn't as complete as the rest of the scene... but otherwise there's no trickery or cheating going on :).

Seriously, an in-game screenshot? I remain a skeptic - but an intrigued one! Black outlines, artsy and rugged, without even a hint of the typical "cell-shade" graphics. Yes Sir, I'd like to see that in motion, please.
    We're not ready to talk about gameplay yet

Oh, just tell us. It IS the most important thing after all. :D
  • edited July 2011
    Seriously, an in-game screenshot? I remain a skeptic - but an intrigued one! Black outlines, artsy and rugged, without even a hint of the typical "cell-shade" graphics. Yes Sir, I'd like to see that in motion, please.

Yeah, I hope that seeing it in motion will not be disappointing... I hope those "pencil" lines don't look too much like a flat texture put on the charachter.
  • edited July 2011
    That screenshot looks incredible! I like the semi-cel-shaded, comic-booky look. Makes things looks realistic while getting around the fact that realistic graphics are still something of an Achilles' heel for Telltale.

It really feels like The Walking Dead so far, though, and I'm impressed. Hopefully we'll hear more about the gameplay soon.
  • edited July 2011
    Take notes telltale, you are getting this much praise from a screenshot. Imagine the love of a video.
  • edited July 2011
    Put me down for begging for a Teaser video...... DO IT! you know you want to.
  • edited July 2011
    I'm studying game art and design and I have to say, that this is probably one of the best designs from Telltale I've seen thus far. I love the sketchy outlines, the characters look interesting, and the background... oh my gosh the background.

I'm in love with how the background is going. The lighting, the style, everything about it makes me giddy with excitement! Like what the others said, if the screenshot got people to jump, imagine the teaser!! I wait ecstatically for news on the gameplay though. THAT sounds exciting! :D
  • edited July 2011
    See, this is what I expect from Telltale. I can get back on the wagon for this. Now I'm insanely excited to see what you guys have planned for King's Quest.
  • EricPEricP Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I hope that seeing it in motion will not be disappointing... I hope those "pencil" lines don't look too much like a flat texture put on the charachter.

Sorry we can't prove it to you just yet, but if you'll take the word of this humble developer, rest assured the style holds up beautifully in motion as well! The inky outlines and watercolory textures are part of the characters and move with them in a way that looks very natural, not like something pasted on top.
  • edited July 2011
    Telltale... you've outdone yourselves.
  • edited July 2011
    EricP wrote: »
    Sorry we can't prove it to you just yet, but if you'll take the word of this humble developer, rest assured the style holds up beautifully in motion as well! The inky outlines and watercolory textures are part of the characters and move with them in a way that looks very natural, not like something pasted on top.

Wow! You really relief me! :D
    I'm really excited for this game. Can't wait!!!!
    If gameplay mechanics are good enough, this could be a masterpiece.
  • edited July 2011
    The fact that I disregarded the screenshot as concept art upon first sight amazes me. This game seems like it is going to be awesome.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Telltale... you've outdone yourselves.

Not yet. :D
  • edited July 2011
    Ok that's one of the best looking thing you guys have ever done. It clearly competes to any "high adventure production" ... It's even better (well depends on the animation) than Pendulo's games !

Though, as happy as I am... Back to the Future is now, clearly, unacceptable. In any way.
  • edited July 2011

Nice.
    The more and more I think about it, we are going to have a lot less speculation if people have different things happening. Shame, that adds to the fun of the game, and if I read it, I will get spoiled on what will happen when I replay the game.
    edited July 2011
    Nice.
    The more and more I think about it, we are going to have a lot less speculation if people have different things happening. Shame, that adds to the fun of the game, and if I read it, I will get spoiled on what will happen when I replay the game.

That might be the case early on in the season, but I think that as things go on there will be people who are okay with just diving into things. Also, as the story goes on, the things people have in common will start to become apparent.
  • edited July 2011
    I love that the game has replayability and your choices carry over into future episodes. Does this mean that by the time you get to the very end (episode 5) there will be different endings?
  • edited July 2011
    Masta23 wrote: »
    I love that the game has replayability and your choices carry over into future episodes. Does this mean that by the time you get to the very end (episode 5) there will be different endings?

Im thinking more into that.
    Multiple cliffhangers to each episode? Multiple moments where a different puzzle occurs(Im assuming there will be old school adventure gaming puzzles), different plot twists alltogether?
  • edited July 2011
    I think this is what Telltale should be about. Everything sounds and looks amazing. You really got me hooked !

Too bad the Walking Dead Team isn't in charge of more projects.
  • edited July 2011
    My hunger for information on this game is ever growing. Twitter provides me with much needed scoops:

http://twitter.com/#!/ericericson
    WALKING DEAD EXCLUSIVE SNEAK PEEK: Top-down map drawn by professional game developers @ja2ke and myself.
    5986170517_5ffa8e88d5_o.jpg

I love wasting time trying to decipher stuff like this. I'm trying to ignore the fact that it looks like a happy fat man wearing glasses and a bandana. It clearly shows a layout of the prison, as shown below, the smaller square making up the area behind the first row of buildings:

Prison-The-Walking-Dead.jpg

You have to make your way from one end to the prison to the other, indicated by the small arrow. The little squares could be guard towers. Meanwhile, a zombie horde has surrounded the entire prison (indicated by the giant arrow circling the prison), and they managed to break down the wall right by the top-left guard tower, making it necessary to flee to the right side while being haunted by the image of the fat, jolly, short-sighted, bandana-wearing guy you killed before the beginning of the first episode.
    Your murder of the happy fat guy explains why you start the game in the back of a cop car. All this prison stuff happens in the fifth episode, giving the season a nice story arc where the zombie invasion helps you escape a lifetime in prison in the first place, which is followed by several horrible adventures in the free world. In the end you find your salvation and some form of safety in the prison, which teaches the player an ironic lesson (an important part of good zombie stories - in this case: don't kill happy fat guys).

Oh, and your adventures in the prison will explain how all the guards left the prison by the time Rick Grimes and his gang get there in the comic, and how quite a few zombies managed to break in.

There's no doubt in my mind. I've just uncovered the plot of the entire first Walking Dead season.
This discussion has been closed.