Season 1 Disc Information!

edited July 2007 in Sam & Max
I just posted a blog announcing this, but since past experience suggests that some people here may not read the blog, I'm also posting this message for your comfort and convenience:

Learn About the Disc Version!

Comments

• MelMel
    edited May 2007
    Fabulous!! I can't wait. :)

But I am pissed about something.

Jake always promises cherubs and trumpets when big announcements get made and I have yet to see any. :(

;)
  • edited May 2007
    Oh my God, this is GREAT!!!! Much better than I had expected! And no online activation either, I didn't even dare to hope for that (btw, you're not using Starforce I hope?).

Thanks a lot Telltale, this is awesome!!
  • edited May 2007
    Oh wow, that looks awesome!
  • edited May 2007
    I misread the bullet point about about DVD commentary at first, so for a moment I pondered what commentary on the entire game would be like :p

Overall, it looks great. The only thing missing from that page is how much it'll cost for people who haven't bought the season (i.e. people who were waiting for the "boxed set," and people like me who use GameTap). . .
    Oh, I suppose I'd just buy the season, and the disc would come with it. You should probably note that on the page, so slow people like me will catch on more easily :p
  • edited May 2007
    Wow, this looks really good. I'm very excited now!
  • edited May 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I misread the bullet point about about DVD commentary at first, so for a moment I pondered what commentary on the entire game would be like :p

That would've been great :P Kinda like the in-game commentary on Lost Coast.

The DVD is shaping up to be quite impressive, though!
  • edited May 2007
    I hope the final box will be in the shape of max's enormous head :)
  • edited May 2007
    marsan wrote: »
    That would be amazing! Like The Simpsons limited edition season box sets they have!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    marsan wrote: »

Hah that would be awesome, though we're being pretty modest with how this is built, as it really is a bonus disc to augment (and archive) people's downloadable episodes.

The whole point of buying the season from Telltale is so you can get to play the episodes as they come out, and be involved in the story once a month as it unfolds. The disc is nice to have on a shelf, and nice for peace of mind, (and we're having fun making it) but it's never been the focus of anything.
  • edited May 2007
    It sounds awesome, and I cant wait. You can certaintly put my name down to order one of these :D

Quick question - How much roughly will shipping be to england just so I know???
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    Probably around $10. The USPS shipping rates are about to change and we don't know yet how that will affect shipping in our store.
  • edited May 2007
    For season 1 subcripers, i'd like some signatures from voice actors and/or people like steve, producers etc.
  • edited May 2007
    The Case Is Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited May 2007
    Sam "The words "big" and "large" only begin to describe this thing"

Sam "Max you can release Mr. Game Developer now, they have agreed to our demands, of doing a grand scale DVD, of our latest cases"

Max "Ok"

Mr. Game Developer "arggg!" donk....

Sam "Max did you just Drop Mr. Game Developer out of the Window?"

Max "perhaps, what can I say my fluffy fingers are Slippery, from eating that glass of peanutt butter"

Sam "You crack me up little body"

What I meant to say is Great job Telltale Games, looking forward to it very much, Glad to see some people still holding life in the adventure games, and Sam And Max.
  • edited May 2007
    Question: I'm a Gametap subscriber, so I technically kind of have subscribed to the season. Can I still get the bonus disk?
  • edited May 2007
    Not from what I've heard.
  • edited May 2007
    Is there any chance that the episodes on the disc will have the voices in better quality than the downloadable versions? To use a DVD and still only put the 50MB versions of each episode on there would be a shame to say the least...
  • edited May 2007
    Beautiful cover art.

All the stuff included sounds great!

Thanks for the info!
  • edited May 2007
    Sounds great. I'm glad it's on DVD. And for those without a DVD drive... Well, I managed to afford one, so it can't be THAT bad. $40 tops. The technological world is making progress... Go with the flow!
  • edited May 2007
    Sounds great! And I'm wondering about the surprise bonus. :confused:
  • edited May 2007
    Sounds fantastic, can't wait!
  • edited May 2007
    Not only was it good that i COULDN'T use gametap to play my sam and max, but beacuse i am a devout adventure game player(yes, i'm devout!) that i got season 1 collection. I just hope that sam and max says and gametap gets taken out of the deal(it's american so i'm p'ed)
  • edited May 2007
    Hurrrrah! :)
  • edited May 2007
    Does the DVD only has to be in the drive for the installation or does it need to be there all the time you're playing it?

I hope it's not the second as this means the usual annoying procedure:

1a) Need that drive for something else and i'm still no disc jockey practicing at home
    1b) or i don't want the drive to spin up because of the additional noise pollution
    1c) or depending on the choosen protection i don't want my system to be infiltrated and less stable.

2) Visit gamecopyworld, ...

3) Okay, now we're there were we could have been before...

Is there any other annoying copyprotection like safedisc etc.?
  • edited May 2007
    Why does it sound like you're trying to rip stuff off taumel? Are we going to have to come after you?
  • edited May 2007
    Sorry?

No, i bought the whole season since the first episode but i really dislike the checking for a disc in a drive for the reasons i've mentioned above. I would have preferd the online registration or another check instead of the cd check if it's always needed for starting up the game.

Gimme a codewheel or let me do an online registration (the usual way like the episodes worked) or something else but please don't make me swap discs for each software when i want to use it.

This sucks...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    taumel wrote: »
    Gimme a codewheel or let me do an online registration (the usual way like the episodes worked) or something else but please don't make me swap discs for each software when i want to use it.

This sucks...

As a season set holder, you get it both ways... You get the downloadable episodes which use online activation, and you get the disc version which uses disc check.

As for codewheels, they're very successful.

dial-a-pirate.jpg
  • edited May 2007
    That's not the same as a) the DVD is easier to handle generally as you don't have to install and register for six times and b) secondly i suspect the content is not the same: additional material, improved sound quality, fixed issues for all episodes are only on the DVD.

I stronly hope you can rethink this or rail on two routes as these are the things which put off honest customers in a lot of games.
  • edited May 2007
    i'm blown away by the dvd commentary..never would have thought of that..and thoroughly impressed
  • edited May 2007
    taumel wrote: »
    That's not the same as a) the DVD is easier to handle generally as you don't have to install and register for six times and b) secondly i suspect the content is not the same: additional material, improved sound quality, fixed issues for all episodes are only on the DVD.

I stronly hope you can rethink this or rail on two routes as these are the things which put off honest customers in a lot of games.

I'm sure TT wouldn't mind if you use a "NO-CD" on a legit copy. Of course, I could be wrong, since it might be up to the company that makes the protection software.
  • edited May 2007
    It doesn't sound like a customer friendly solution to me were i first have to get and apply a patch in order to get rid of the cd dongle after i trusted them and bought the product in advance. I would really appreciate a more user friendly check where the vendor doesn't only sees his product.
  • edited May 2007
    Could be worse... it wasn't all that long ago we had to suffer trying to install games via floppy disks :P

"Insert Disk 18 into Drive A:.......reading..... ERROR: Invalid Disk. Insert Disk 1"
  • edited May 2007
    Come ON!! Don't complain about a simple CD check! Now you won't have to activate your game after every install.. you can install it as much as you want and never have to reset your activations or anything like that.
    You can play the games on PCs without an internet connection and you won't have to worry about what will happen if Telltale ever goes out of business and the activation servers are taken offline.

A simple CD check is so much better than online activation, please don't complain about something as silly as that :(

And I'll say it again - Thank you Telltale!! This DVD seems so damn kickass.. just the removal of activation would be enough to make me very happy but you filled it with cool extras as well. You are one kickass company, I'm sorry for having complained so much about various stuff in the past. I take it all back, you rock! :D
  • edited May 2007
    You spoil us. You really do. And I love it! Thank you!
  • edited May 2007
    never underestimate the ability for the Internet to complain about every single thing imaginable..
  • edited May 2007
    I'm just waiting for someone to complain this thing isn't released on Blue-Ray :p
  • OMAOMA
    edited May 2007
    This looks pretty cool!

Will episodes have to be installed one by one or will it have a single installation procedure? If so, it would be neat if you could play them all without exiting to the desktop and then clicking in the next program icon, but that's not all that important.

BTW, I noticed that the graphics engine in Episode 6 has been optimized somehow, since the animations are smoother now and the location switch is done slightly faster, too. Will you use this engine for all previous episodes in the DVD? It would be ideal. Also, please use a higher bitrate for audio in the DVD version of the games, if possible, instead of the ultra-compressed audio found in downloadable episodes.

OMA
  • edited May 2007
    O...M...G...I'm floored, honestly. TellTale clearly put a lot of effort into making this DVD awesome, and from the look of things, they managed to pull it off. Great job, guys, and I can't wait for the release!
  • edited May 2007
    DVD Commentary makes me happy, and a Blooper\Outtake reel sounds like a lot of fun.

Curious if it'll be a "scripted" bloopers and outtakes like, say, Monsters Inc, or a chain of weird development screwups like The Incredibles. (I'm hoping the former.)

Usually Trailers as extras just makes me go "Huh?" but I really love the Trailers for the Sam and Max Episodes - they're really well-done.

And I just saw a comment on the Blog that I'd like to reiterate: since it's on a DVD now and not downloadable content, could we get uncompressed speech\audio files for the episodes?
  • edited May 2007
    Curious if it'll be a "scripted" bloopers and outtakes like, say, Monsters Inc, or a chain of weird development screwups like The Incredibles. (I'm hoping the former.)

I'd actually most like to see it done the way the Muppets do... it's an actual mistake made by the voice actor, but he remains in-character and so do the puppets (or in this case, the game models). They tend to be really funny.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.