Comments

• SegSeg
    edited September 2007
    I don't think it would be too good starting yet another site...

How about setting up something on Flicker? Should be enough to identify yourself as the creator, but good sharing tech to distribute the work.

That way I can subscribe to your RSS feed and get notified when you do new covers. :D
  • edited September 2007
    Well, since I do my covers mostly in German, the international audience wouldn't be that big anyway....
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2007
    Fair enough. Stupid foreign languages.
  • edited September 2007
    You should make the covers in Esperanto.
  • edited September 2007
    Or in Smurfian...
  • edited September 2007
    Or in Smurfian...

SMURF! Grab your smurfstick, smurf like a siren, and Smurf the Road with Sam & Max, Freesmurf Police, as they attempt to smurf their smurfiest case. Sam (a smurfus canine) and Max (a hypersmurfetic rabbity smurf) are smurf on the trail of a runaway carnival bigsmurf across Smurferica's smurfy underbelly in this smurfy animated smurfventure!

Smurfy our smurfening, smurfy smurffoots smurf the fugitive smurf! Smurf it now!
  • edited September 2007
    That's almost as wrong as the Smurf bit on Robot Chicken.
  • edited September 2007
    Molokov wrote: »
    SMURF! Grab your smurfstick, smurf like a siren, and Smurf the Road with Sam & Max, Freesmurf Police, as they attempt to smurf their smurfiest case. Sam (a smurfus canine) and Max (a hypersmurfetic rabbity smurf) are smurf on the trail of a runaway carnival bigsmurf across Smurferica's smurfy underbelly in this smurfy animated smurfventure!

Smurfy our smurfening, smurfy smurffoots smurf the fugitive smurf! Smurf it now!

LOL

Seriously though...These cover designs are great...Jake, I saw your Max Payne and Serious Sam ones ages ago...I thought they were awesome then and I still do...the Monkey Island one looks cool too...

The only thing is, now I have to debate which HTR one I like best...luckily I havent gotten around to printing it off yet...XD

Also, Laserschwert, if you were really keen on this stuff you could maybe even do requests...

>_>
  • edited September 2007
    I wouldn't call myself keen... and since these things really take a lot of time to create, I would never take requests, since the minimal amount of free-time I have can't be spent on things I don't have a use for. It's as easy as that :)
  • edited September 2007
    @Laserschwert
    Great! Nice layout of the backside and the colours look good on the print.
  • edited September 2007
    taumel wrote: »
    ... and the colours look good on the print.

Do the colors match the S1-cover? They do on my printer, and I was really surprised by that. Obviously a simple monitor/printer-calibration by eye helped a big deal here.
  • edited September 2007
    I wouldn't call myself keen... and since these things really take a lot of time to create, I would never take requests, since the minimal amount of free-time I have can't be spent on things I don't have a use for. It's as easy as that :)

Yeah I can understand that...but hey, doesnt hurt to ask eh?
  • edited September 2007
    Great stuff! Someone should upload those covers to cdcovers.cc, if the authors don't mind.
  • edited September 2007
    Well, I kinda mind, since cdcovers.cc is just a bad-quality scan sites for your pirated copy-needs... nothing I want to be involved in. But maybe I'm just being too idealistic here.
  • edited September 2007
    It also has lots of custom covers though, e.g. for people who want all their games in DVD cases or jewel cases.
  • edited September 2007
    Yeah, but there are other sites that deal with custom covers in a much more appealing way, like RixGrafix.com.

And since cdcovers.cc is offering CD-labels as well, it's pretty obvious it's made for people who prefer not to buy DVDs or games, but get them some other way.
  • edited September 2007
    cdcovers has alot of crap, but at least they fixed their website so it's easier to use.
  • edited September 2007
    @Laserschwert
    Looks good here, so thumb rules rule?! ;O)
  • edited September 2007
    What software do you guys use to make the covers the right size?
  • edited September 2007
    diego_pmc wrote: »
    What software do you guys use to make the covers the right size?

Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc, but the software is irrelevant in regards to getting the right size. Just create a new image with the following settings: 3240 x 2175 pixels, 300 dpi. When you print that out at 100%, it will be exactly the size you need.
  • edited September 2007
    meelWORM wrote: »
    When you print that out at 100%, it will be exactly the size you need.

Regardless of the program? I know that the whole image fits onto a normal size of paper but do most printers print that close to the edge?
  • edited September 2007
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Regardless of the program? I know that the whole image fits onto a normal size of paper but do most printers print that close to the edge?

Mine doesn't, but the Cannon at my design school does. Hell, it can print magazines on industry-grade glossy paper too!:D
  • edited September 2007

The size at which an image is to be printed is stored in the file itself (as the dpi - dots per inch - value).

And DVD-covers aren't that big... I guess there's no printer that has a problem with printing at that size, since after all there's about half an inch space towards the edges of the paper on each side.
  • edited September 2007
    But where did you people get the SNM-S1 font, the one with which it's written "Hit The Road", on the edge?
  • edited September 2007
    I don't think that's the same font. But if it is I believe I was told that the Sam & Max font is already a pre-existing font
  • edited September 2007
    I don't think that's the same font. But if it is I believe I was told that the Sam & Max font is already a pre-existing font

I think it was an existing font that was edited to Steve's requirements.
  • edited September 2007
    but it's also not a free font, or at least, I have yet to find anywhere free.

It's called Square Meal.
  • edited September 2007
    Silly Bob wrote: »
    but it's also not a free font, or at least, I have yet to find anywhere free.

It's called Square Meal.

Jake posted the link to the site you could buy it somewhere.
  • edited September 2007
    It was part of a "Country Picnic" pack of fonts, IIRC.
    edited September 2007
    Fontdiner.com

The font for episode titles, etc in Season One was "Square Meal." The font for "Sam & Max" is based on "Motel King," but for the official Sam & Max game logo itself, Steve Purcell did some tweaks to the lettering by hand to make it a bit more stylish.
  • edited September 2007
    Huh, well I'm having problems printing out the covers. When I right click and print and the photo printing wizard comes up the two best options are Full Page Fax print or Full Page Photo print. One rotates and centers it while the other crops and rotates. Neither of those look right. When I go into Photoshop and try to print I get an error saying the image is two big for the paper and there will be some clipping. When I click on print preview the area it wants to print is a blown up blurry portion of the cover spine.

So uh.....any tips? :confused:
  • edited September 2007
    I'd use a dvd cover printing program. Nero has one, and there are some free ones online
  • edited September 2007
    When in doubt use UnderCoverXP.
  • edited September 2007
    Thanks Laserschwert, I was looking for something like that. =D
  • edited September 2007
    Drat it all! Even with UnderCoverXP stuff is getting cut off. :( I guess I'm going to have to go look for some bigger sized paper.

8.5x11 thou hast failed me.....time for you to die. *holds up lighter and flicks it on*
  • edited September 2007
    Better look for a new printer...
  • edited September 2007
    Or you could take it to Kinkos when you are desparate enough to spend money on the prints.
  • edited September 2007
    But wouldn't they think it's copyright infringement? I can't see a business letting people print off DVD covers of games
  • edited September 2007
    tobar wrote: »
    Drat it all! Even with UnderCoverXP stuff is getting cut off. :( I guess I'm going to have to go look for some bigger sized paper.

8.5x11 thou hast failed me.....time for you to die. *holds up lighter and flicks it on*

One thing I've been doing is, I brighten the image by about 20% then print it with the paper set type the borderless 8.5x11, I brighten it because most printers will think that setting is photo paper and it will use more ink making the image darker. Just set the papers borders to all 0s, and I've been getting the best results printing at 99% size instead of 100.
    edited September 2007
    Kinkos will let you sign into a computer and print off a color 11"x17" page and leave without making eye contact with an employee :) I every morning at PAX in the Kinkos next to the convention center, printing off a zillion signs, and only bugged a guy the first day.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.