sam and max surfin the highway.

edited March 2008 in Sam & Max
What is this? is it just a colleciont of sam and max comics in a book and whens it due out?

Comments

• edited November 2007
    The book will be out in negative twelve years. The reprint will hopefully come before 2008.
  • edited November 2007
    Look here for details. It'll contain virtually all the canonical comics and a bunch of other stuff. It's scheduled for release "soon", and before the end of the year at least.
  • edited November 2007
    Canonical? lol
  • edited December 2007
    Is it a hardcover, by the way? The picture makes it look like one (sexy new cover, and classy to boot) but I don't see any mention of it in the description, along with how many pages it is.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2007
    It's a paperback that's styled to look like a ratty old hardcover book. The cover also folds around to built in bookmarks like a hardcover, which is what gives it that appearance.

That said, we're also considering a hardcover 'collectors edition' as well, though nothing has been fully decided yet and no announcements have been made.
  • edited December 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    That said, we're also considering a hardcover 'collectors edition' as well, though nothing has been fully decided yet and no announcements have been made.

And considerations are depending on people willing to buy it? You must be kidding...
    edited December 2007
    And considerations are depending on people willing to buy it? You must be kidding...

Why would I be kidding about some words you just put in my mouth? There are more things to consider than "would people buy it?" (Because the answer to that is obviously "yes." :) )
  • edited December 2007
    Would that collector's edition - should it come into existence - feature one or more autographs from relevant famous people (like Steve Purcell)?
  • edited December 2007
    It's a paperback that's styled to look like a ratty old hardcover book. The cover also folds around to built in bookmarks like a hardcover, which is what gives it that appearance.

Arrrgh you're going to suck all of my money out of me.
  • YitYit
    edited December 2007
    Paperbacks are cheap. I would totally buy a hardcover.
  • edited December 2007
    Yit wrote: »
    Paperbacks are cheap. I would totally buy a hardcover.

Really, if there will be hardcover I'll just skip the crap paperback.
  • edited December 2007
    it's not crap, it just isn't as hard..
  • edited December 2007
    wisp wrote: »
    it's not crap, it just isn't as hard..

We're talkin' comparitively, here, little buddy.
    edited December 2007
    A lot of work is going into the paperback cover. The cover has fold-out flaps and embossed and spot-glossed elements on it. It's a classy affair.
  • edited December 2007
    Am I the only person who prefers paperbacks?
    Well, admittedly, only because they're cheaper and easier to carry around, but still.
  • edited December 2007
    I prefer paperbacks too. For a start, hardbacks tend to come in that protective cover which I always take off because it annoys me when I'm reading the book (and then the cover gets ripped or I forget to put it back on, defeating the whole point of it)
    And yeah, paperback's cheaper which is always a real plus.
  • edited December 2007
    who cares if it's paperback or hardcover, as long as the content is the same...
  • edited December 2007
    We're talkin' comparitively, here, little buddy.

...but you should not judge a book by it's cover.:D
  • edited December 2007
    I prefer both... Paperbacks are awesome to actually read and seem more movable if you dont want to ruin things, like I do. While I fear opening my #15 ori hardcover signed and arted by purcell.. I fear even opening it to scan or take a pic!
    Anyway both paper and hard are great.. youll be seeing both on my late xmas list.. or maybe valentines list... lol
    I was a little wierded out by the effigy mound though... most of the stuff in there I KNOW is in color .. as I know telltale knows personally. Some of purcells E cards are in there and are in black in white vs color. Hope the new material in this book isnt as such, but I dont mind black and white, as long as that was its original format.. effigy looks like a copy machine hit it :P

Long story short.. I have a feeling art was left uncolored or ommitted for later books such as this. Purcell still has yet to mess with his site and said he would possibly do ANOTHER book having nothing to do with sam n max! soo im hoping all the left out art goes there!

Im buying everything when it comes in stock!

BTW do you allow for in house pickup ! JK... (i live up the mountain a lil).. yes I know you dont store the items at telltale :P
  • edited December 2007
    I'd really want a hardcover..my version of surfin for the highway which i've been very careful with for 12 years..isnt quite in mint condition..I'd feel safer knowing the pages are protected by a hardcover
  • edited December 2007
    A lot of work is going into the paperback cover. The cover has fold-out flaps and embossed and spot-glossed elements on it. It's a classy affair.

I'm sure it is nice and everything, but if a hardcover's coming out, why have two versions of the same thing?

My Daredevil collection was stuck at #1 until I finally found the #2 hardcover for a (somewhat) reasonable price. I could have gotten the paperbacks, but why, when I would have gotten the hardcover eventually? It's much like how now I'm saving for the Absolute Sandman books instead of getting the TPBs.
  • edited December 2007
    I'm sure it is nice and everything, but if a hardcover's coming out, why have two versions of the same thing?

As some people have said, they like the paperbacks. If I had the choice between a paperback and hardcover, I'd choose paperback, just like you'd choose hardcover.
  • edited December 2007

Probably there are different versions of customers. Not everyone is a collector or cares about the cover of the book. If I have to choose between two versions of books, dvds, games, etc. I will usually buy the better or rather more expensive one. On the other hand I know people, who read books and afterwards throw them away along with all the other waste paper.
    Hmm, maybe, if the paperback is a nicely done as Jake stated, I might get both versions...
    edited December 2007
    Yeah the simple answer is that not everyone cares about the presentation, collectibility, or personal archiving, and just want the contents within the book at the lowest cost (You'll note that this attitude actually makes perfect sense, and possibly makes the rest of us sound like crazy obsessive compulsive weirdos :) ). That said, we like making things that are good, so even if it's "just a paperback," we're going to put time into making it as cool as we can.
  • edited December 2007
    bla bla bla...enough with the talking - start working on it!:p
    edited December 2007
    err, it's been a project of mine on and off for the last 2 months. So, I am working on it.

tongue.gif
  • edited December 2007

That sounds quite nice over a hardcover edition, but what with my obsessive compulsive of always having to get the best version (which I've discussed on here before), I may miss out on that. :D
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2007
    err, it's been a project of mine on and off for the last 2 months. So, I am working on it.

tongue.gif

Get back in the shed and start hand crankin' the printing press! These books aren't just gonna make themselves!
  • edited December 2007
    (You'll note that this attitude actually makes perfect sense, and possibly makes the rest of us sound like crazy obsessive compulsive weirdos :) )
    But... I AM a crazy obsessive compulsive weirdo!
  • edited December 2007
    When I buy the Surfin' the Highway rerelease, do you recommend getting The Effigy Mound also? Do they share any of the new, never-before-seen content?
  • edited December 2007
    Nope! All different.
  • edited December 2007
    darnit I was hoping for some color renditions of the effigy arts doh... have to wait for the spudvision and then his portfolio.. cya in 300 cycles..
    DOh!
    Any reason those effigy arts were left black n white vs color? Just wondering :P
    edited December 2007
    It was a choice Steve made! :)
  • edited December 2007
    It was a choice Steve made! :)

Well he can't argue with that :p I imagine everything will be shutting down for christmas. Do you have a rough idea how long it will be before you have those 100, 000 surfing the highway's printed? :)
  • edited December 2007
    Why would I be kidding about some words you just put in my mouth? There are more things to consider than "would people buy it?" (Because the answer to that is obviously "yes." :) )

actually as much as I think it would be awesome, I probably never would, I like reading books to much to have one sitting around that I'm too afraid to open.
  • MelMel
    edited December 2007
    Why should you be afraid to open it? It's meant to be read. I guess if you really want one for 'collecting' purposes, you can buy a second at some point.

When I go into a used book store, my favorite books are ones with character - they've been read and used and may have inscriptions on the front or notes made by a previous owner. It gives the book more history than just what the author wrote.
  • edited December 2007
    Mel wrote: »
    Why should you be afraid to open it? It's meant to be read. I guess if you really want one for 'collecting' purposes, you can buy a second at some point.

When I go into a used book store, my favorite books are ones with character - they've been read and used and may have inscriptions on the front or notes made by a previous owner. It gives the book more history than just what the author wrote.

Yeah, I'd buy two hardcovers, one to read and one for posterity, so someday I can tell my grandkisd that we didn't use to take all our information in through jacks in the back of our skulls, we had to actually scan it with our ocular processors and run it through our neural systems.
  • edited December 2007
    Yeah, I'd buy two hardcovers, one to read and one for posterity, so someday I can tell my grandkisd that we didn't use to take all our information in through jacks in the back of our skulls, we had to actually scan it with our ocular processors and run it through our neural systems.

I think you just removed the fun out of reading :p
  • edited December 2007
    Hero1 wrote: »
    I think you just removed the fun out of reading :p

"Fun"? I know not what this "fun" is. Need input. INPUT!

Johnny 5 alive!

god damn that made me feel old
  • edited December 2007
    hell thats not that old! haha
    ok its getting there!

As for purcells descision to make it black n white I agree Ill go with whatever he wants. I have some gut feeling we will be seeing his full card set someday anyway :P Im a patient man somedays :P
    Its still an awesome book to you all btw so nab it!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.