Why are gamers(mostly guys) in love with Carley?

edited August 2013 in The Walking Dead
I don't know what is up with The Walking Dead franchise, but I've noticed that ppl are hellbent in killing Lilly primarily because she killed Carley. I picked Doug in my game because I thought Carley was smart enough to defend the walkers alone. Then again, we are talking about a reporter who didn't know that radios require batteries to function.

The Carley fans are like the Daryl Dixion fans who wanted to kill the actress who played Andrea just because her character accidentally shot Daryl.

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Number one, I seem to be the main person who wants Lilly dead and it's not all for killing Carley even though that is the main reason. For the record I like Doug and was not 'in love with Carley' I liked her character and no Carley fans are not as bad as Daryl, by the way I like Daryl and was not yelling at the TV for Andrea's death.
  • edited July 2013
    Number one, I seem to be the main person who wants Lilly dead and it's not all for killing Carley even though that is the main reason. For the record I like Doug and was not 'in love with Carley' I liked her character and no Carley fans are not as bad as Daryl, by the way I like Daryl and was not yelling at the TV for Andrea's death.

There are other ppl too. I am sure the hardcore Carley lovers want Lilly dead
  • edited July 2013

I seem to be the main person who wants Kenny dead. I did like Carley I just tried redoing trying to save her but I didn't get to mad about it.
  • edited July 2013
    doom saber wrote: »
    There are other ppl too. I am sure the hardcore Carley lovers want Lilly dead

huh,in china,more and more people have done with it.
  • edited July 2013
    I seem to be the main person who wants Kenny dead. I did like Carley I just tried redoing trying to save her but I didn't get to mad about it.
    I'm very glad.Because you can say that.
  • edited July 2013
    I began to like Carley, I believe in the 3rd episode, when she seemed to be affectionate (in my opinion) when talking to Lee at the motel. I was somewhat upset that she didn't make it since I wanted to see more of Lee and Carley's relationship and see what path the devs would take. Obviously, they wanted to kill her off. But I didn't leave Lilly behind to die when she did it. I kept her cuz I thought she was confused and needed help.
  • edited July 2013
    Well then I am not a hardcore Carley or Kenny fan, never for one moment thought Carley was alive at all but I do want Lilly dead, Thought I was a hardcore Kenny fan but since I do not attack people that believe he is not alive and do not message Telltale about Kenny alive then I am not.
  • edited July 2013
    Well then I am not a hardcore Carley or Kenny fan, never for one moment thought Carley was alive at all but I do want Lilly dead, Thought I was a hardcore Kenny fan but since I do not attack people that believe he is not alive and do not message Telltale about Kenny alive then I am not.

Come on Bio I wanted to see if you would back up Kenny
  • edited July 2013
    Well if you want I guess I could take a swing at in, in the name of the Stache and Carley my rusty kitchen knife will taste the blood of Lilly.
  • edited July 2013
    It's not because she killed Carley, it's because she simply killed.
  • edited July 2013
    well not exactly "in love" with carley,I chose her in episode 1 and liked her for some reasons :

1- even before u get to the "save Doug or Carley" part she saved lee and clem's life twice.

2- she knows about your past,but keep it to herself even if you chose the "I dont trust you" option

if you save her she is 1 of the most nicest characters in the game,she tells lee the group is looking up to him and shot Andy St.John at the dairy
    in the beginning in episode 3 her advice seemed to save lee during "argument on the road" - if lee tells kenny about his past kenny says to Lilly that he dont care - he alredy knew.
    my save was 100% Lilly untill episode 3 when i defended carley from the accusions - carley was a nice character and to bad she died :S
  • edited July 2013
    I might take a swing at Kenny with a bottle and a corn knife
  • edited July 2013
    I will enjoy killing Lilly and will replay that moment when I get board, I swear on the blood of my friends I will make that Bitch eat her hair.
  • edited July 2013
    Carley was a good character. I know the people who are pissed at Lilly are because she basically killed Carley for telling her to grow up. With Doug you can say it was an accident. With Carley there seemed to be a lot of jealousy there, especially if Lilly is Lee's friend before she shoots Carley. I think she says something like "I had to protect you and Clem..." if your close to both her and Carley. So there is that jealous lover connection with her on some playthroughs.
  • edited July 2013
    I will enjoy killing Lilly and will replay that moment when I get board, I swear on the blood of my friends I will make that Bitch eat her hair.

Kenny will eat his mustache
  • edited July 2013
    I am not a fan of how Lilly reacts to shooting Carley, with Doug she seems surprised but with Carley she shows no regret, all the more reasons to put her down like the rat she is.
  • edited July 2013
    It wouldn't have happened if Kenny would of waited to kill Larry
  • edited July 2013
    He may have been dead, he might have been alive but the dead can come back as quick as three minutes and the whole scene takes three minutes every time to complete.
  • edited July 2013
    But he wasn't that pale greyish walker color that you have before you turn
  • edited July 2013
    I really liked Carley's character and I didn't want to kill Lilly, just get her out of the group as quick as possible. No way should she be in the group after killing someone (even if it was Ben) like that.
  • edited July 2013
    I think it was because she was attractive, had a crush on Doug (and further seemed interested in Lee later on) and has a sweet personality...

Did Doug on my first playthrough though, was actually surprised that it really was that mainstream to save Carley (75% people?)
  • edited July 2013
    I saved Carley not because of her looks, but mainly because she had more involvement in the plot than Doug did. Doug was just...there, and I barely had the opportunity to do more with Doug than I did with Carley.

The game itself seemed to want me to pick Carley because it didn't leave anymore time for Doug to have his own moments in the drug store before the game decided that I had to choose between the two, which I found a little unfair. Even his 'heroics' that Carley mentioned were offscreen, while Carley's was all onscreen.

And yes, I wasn't happy with Lilly when she killed Carley in cold blood. But I also wasn't impressed with Carley either for choosing to provoke Lilly into getting violent by verbally attacking her. Not to say that she derserved to be shot, but she did cause her own death by aggrevating Lilly when she should have tried better to defend herself.
  • edited July 2013
    RichWalk23 wrote: »
    I saved Carley not because of her looks, but mainly because she had more involvement in the plot than Doug did. Doug was just...there, and I barely had the opportunity to do more with Doug than I did with Carley.

The game itself seemed to want me to pick Carley because it didn't leave anymore time for Doug to have his own moments in the drug store before the game decided that I had to choose between the two, which I found a little unfair. Even his 'heroics' that Carley mentioned were offscreen, while Carley's was all onscreen.

And yes, I wasn't happy with Lilly when she killed Carley in cold blood. But I also wasn't impressed with Carley either for choosing to provoke Lilly into getting violent by verbally attacking her. Not to say that she derserved to be shot, but she did cause her own death by aggrevating Lilly when she should have tried better to defend herself.

Well to be honest , Lilly wasn't going to calm down and she was going to shoot her anyhow as you seen in Doug's version where she tried to kill Ben and Ben din't insult her .
  • edited July 2013
    There have been walkers that turn that do not have to be gray, I believe it was one of the webisodes were someone got bit my a walker that looked like a living person, maybe it's just done that way to distinguish walkers from people.
  • edited July 2013
    I would like to add that I did not think Lilly was capable of killing a group member, sure I thought she was asshole but that's it, I had no idea I would get the worst jumpscare ever.
  • edited July 2013
    Wait the OP is seriously comparing wanting to kill a character over Carleys death to the Daryl fans actually sending death threats to a real person? I feel Lilly deserves to die for what she did and i don't think it is an unreasonable reaction.

Carley was a very good character. The whole game works because it builds these connections with it's characters and the reaction to her death and the fact she's still getting talked about almost a year later on here shows they certainly achieved that in spades with her. She basically provides a very supporting figure in a world where everyone is judging you constantly, whilst saving Lee's life multiple times. It's not hard to see why she was popular and that's before we talk about the effect her looks would have had.

I don't see people have to hate on the other side of the Carley/Doug choice. Having seen both paths i think they were both great. Having Carley around shades it for me, but Doug was easily one of the better season 1 characters.
  • edited July 2013
    It was 11 months ago, ten for me since I did not know the release dates so I got in September 1, but close enough to round up.
  • edited July 2013
    In my opinion people are way too attached to Carly. And that's not a good thing. I picked Doug and that's it. He died, boo hoo. Then a girl dies and the whole community goes insane.
  • edited July 2013
    It might because more people picked Carley and not Doug, I saved Carley but Doug is a good character to.
  • edited July 2013
    In my opinion people are way too attached to Carly. And that's not a good thing. I picked Doug and that's it. He died, boo hoo. Then a girl dies and the whole community goes insane.

So if Clementine dies... boo hoo? It's because she's a good character not because she's a girl. People were upset about Lee dying and he's not a girl, it's because he was a good character, I guess it's slightly different since he is basically us in the game (we are speaking through him) but we still got attached to him like we do to Clementine and people do to Carley so it's surprising/sad when they die. People who liked Kenny are still denying that he even died. It just shows that Telltale make good characters.

We've got good reason to like Carley as well, as Lee's 'romance' and a friend who he can trust with his secret. Just because you weren't attached or didn't really like Doug's character (I am just assuming) doesn't mean other people shouldn't, or shouldn't be attached to Carley's character. I thought her death scene was my favourite moment from Season 1 just because it was so shocking, I didn't expect it at all. After that I felt like Clementine was the only person Lee had left who he cared about. I am sad that Carley died but I thought her death scene was so well written and acted. It made me love to hate Lilly and in my playthrough it was partly Lee's fault as well for helping Kenny kill Larry, which pushed Lilly over the edge. I still blame her mainly though, not even Ben that much.
  • edited July 2013
    I would say it was one of the best moments of season 1, you just feel the tension getting bigger until it just broke, and I don't know about you ZacTB but I did not see Lilly start reaching for a gun, I was just saying good job to Carley before I wiped my nose or turned my head, I was shaken for whole train area and when Katjaa started talking about Carley and Lee saying he cared about her made me cry a few tears, must be the only one to have cried for Lee Carley Kenny and Ben.
  • edited July 2013
    I would say it was one of the best moments of season 1, you just feel the tension getting bigger until it just broke, and I don't know about you ZacTB but I did not see Lilly start reaching for a gun, I was just saying good job to Carley before I wiped my nose or turned my head, I was shaken for whole train area and when Katjaa started talking about Carley and Lee saying he cared about her made me cry a few tears, must be the only one to have cried for Lee Carley Kenny and Ben.

Yeah I missed Lilly reaching for her gun, I only saw it in some Let's Play videos when that part comes up. Some people while playing it on Let's Play's notice it and some don't. I guess it might be because that scene takes place at night and on 360 (or it might just be me) this game has is quite dark, especially in low lit buildings and things like that. In a matter of seconds after smiling at Carley saying what everyone was thinking to Lilly my jaw literally dropped when she got shot. Before that I thought that we should keep the group together and not split up (I said this to Kenny/Lilly at times I think) but after that I kicked Lilly out on her own as soon as I saw the option. And yeah it's sad when Lee admits to Katjaa that he liked Carley. He says that it was no time for relationships to start or something like that but I think they could have made it work.
  • edited July 2013
    RichWalk23 wrote: »

My thoughts exactly.
  • edited July 2013
    ZacTB wrote: »
    So if Clementine dies... boo hoo? It's because she's a good character not because she's a girl. People were upset about Lee dying and he's not a girl, it's because he was a good character, I guess it's slightly different since he is basically us in the game (we are speaking through him) but we still got attached to him like we do to Clementine and people do to Carley so it's surprising/sad when they die. People who liked Kenny are still denying that he even died. It just shows that Telltale make good characters.

We've got good reason to like Carley as well, as Lee's 'romance' and a friend who he can trust with his secret. Just because you weren't attached or didn't really like Doug's character (I am just assuming) doesn't mean other people shouldn't, or shouldn't be attached to Carley's character. I thought her death scene was my favourite moment from Season 1 just because it was so shocking, I didn't expect it at all. After that I felt like Clementine was the only person Lee had left who he cared about. I am sad that Carley died but I thought her death scene was so well written and acted. It made me love to hate Lilly and in my playthrough it was partly Lee's fault as well for helping Kenny kill Larry, which pushed Lilly over the edge. I still blame her mainly though, not even Ben that much.
    I blame Ben. I get that Ben was scared of Lilly but he was close to Carly and could have confided in her and Lee. Clearly he didn't trust either of them enough to share his secret but Carly trusted Ben enough to defend him and declare his innocence leading to an unnecessary altercation that caused her death.
  • HiroVoidHiroVoid Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Because she pretty much goes along with whatever you say, encourages you to be the leader because she likes you better, and never does anything to really conflict against you? It's pretty much the reason characters like Garrus from Mass Effect are popular.
  • edited July 2013
    Speaking for myself, I wasn't in love with Carly but she was my favourite adult npc. In my playthrough she was the closest to Lee and was consistent. My relationship with Kenny went up and down. I liked him in episode 1 and found him Irritating and cantankerous from episode 2 onwards which annoyed me because of all the things I did for him and his family. Carly on the other hand was my rock and source of comfort until her demise.

I liked Lilly but liked Carly more. In my first playthrough I acted on the impulse of anger and left Lilly on the road but after calming down I let her back on the RV in my second playthrough. I feel sorry for what became of Lilly but I don't want her to die even though she killed my closest adult companion.

I think Lilly did more good throughout the game than bad and showed more acts of heroism than villainy. I'm not gonna condemn her for what she did during her breakdown. The whole group thought she was paranoid when she suspected supplies going missing and a traitor within the group. She wasn't wrong, she just handled it wrong. My hope is that she is still alive and that she gets better and redeems herself. if she wanted anyone dead she could have done it as they slept including Ben if she had suspected him earlier,what she did was in a blind rage. When Lee killed the senator it was in a blind rage. Neither would have done what they did in their right minds. Lee regretted his actions and got his redemption. I would like to think that Lilly would regret her actions and get her redemption.
  • edited July 2013
    I have to keep bringing this point up but killing someone is not a excuse because someone dear to you died. Lee lost his whole family but he never lost his shit and killed someone, Kenny loses everything and at most wants Ben dead, he does not pull the trigger, and for all we know Larry was dead and Lilly was being a bitch because everyone was saved by a redneck, she never for one moment thought Larry was dead, and were did she do good, to me she did not shoot Andy and if you be nice to her she rewards you with stealing your only known escape vehicle, if that train did not work then we would have died and she would not have gave a shit. She did not try to stop Larry from kicking Duck out, just a few words before agreeing with her dad. We could have not gone into a fire fight with the bandits if she had not shot after Lee got them to lower there guns, and then there is Carley which does not need explanation. Kenny saves you in Episode 1 even if you are a asshole, he forgives Ben in the Episode 5, something Lilly could not even dream of doing. The only thing she was ever right about was the Saint Johns and Kenny caught on at a point, and the supply's being found is was triggers the bandits to come it so in a way it's Lilly's own fault they had to leave the Motor Inn, along with Ben. If she had been a nicer person then Ben would not have been scared and would have told everyone but since she was a inch away from the asylum Ben said nothing, and I understand that, I don't like it but I understand, rational thought is another skill Lilly never could ever gain. My opinion is set in stone and will never change, she could save Clementine and the only reward I would give is a bullet to the head, a lot more merciful then what I plan other wise. That plan has many ideas, hot tar, fire, being suffocated, having all unessential organs being removed with a knife and just letting her bleed to death, the walkers grabbing her while being chains to a tree, being dragged behind someones car, letting Nate do something, I have a lot of ideas. I am sorry if this post is a little long but it is the truth.
  • edited July 2013
    The Fallen wrote: »
    Wait the OP is seriously comparing wanting to kill a character over Carleys death to the Daryl fans actually sending death threats to a real person? I feel Lilly deserves to die for what she did and i don't think it is an unreasonable reaction.

Carley was a very good character. The whole game works because it builds these connections with it's characters and the reaction to her death and the fact she's still getting talked about almost a year later on here shows they certainly achieved that in spades with her. She basically provides a very supporting figure in a world where everyone is judging you constantly, whilst saving Lee's life multiple times. It's not hard to see why she was popular and that's before we talk about the effect her looks would have had.

I don't see people have to hate on the other side of the Carley/Doug choice. Having seen both paths i think they were both great. Having Carley around shades it for me, but Doug was easily one of the better season 1 characters.

QFT. Well said. If I still had energy to deal with threads like this, I would've try and type something out. The OP's post seems to a ridiculous exaggeration of how most people respond to a well written character.
  • edited July 2013
    Has anyone seen this video about a reaction to Carley in 400 Days? It's brilliant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrMZvBUsGrA

So funny. In case anyone asks or thinks so, he's not being serious.
  • edited July 2013
    O god, it's Nova, and I believe he really did love Carley, not that I have a problem with that at all, feel sorry for the guy.
This discussion has been closed.