Why are gamers(mostly guys) in love with Carley?

13»

Comments

• Omid's catOmid's cat Banned
    edited August 2013
    She was decent but not my type.
  • edited August 2013
    You know I thought the first time I saw her, but I like her a lot more, she is just more trust worthy and nicer, and not in anyway a whore, something I can not say about Chang.
  • edited August 2013
    I liked Chang as well, but for different reasons. Mostly shallow ones :| Carley was overall a way better person though. Also, interesting fact, given how similar these characters are, they also die in pretty much the same way- out of nowhere shot in the head by a person the group believed to be an ally.
  • edited August 2013
    I wonder whether anyone had felt that Carley was too good to be true?

First time I played the game sometimes I wondered if she was going to be a character where many players would fall in love with her due to her gun knowedge, her attractive appearance, her connection with Lee, her romance option. She seems like the perfect partner for Lee...expect until her true nature is revealed as a cruel backstabber who taunts Lee for falling into her trap hook, line and sinker.

Don't take it too seriously, it's just an idea I thought about.
  • edited August 2013
    I liked Chang as well, but for different reasons. Mostly shallow ones :| Carley was overall a way better person though. Also, interesting fact, given how similar these characters are, they also die in pretty much the same way- out of nowhere shot in the head by a person the group believed to be an ally.

Right, and they both use a glock, well if there was inspiration then good job for Telltale, I just thought of that and the facts have been there since April 2012.
  • edited August 2013
    I didn't save Carley. I saved Doug. Carley had half a walker grabbing her ankle and a gun in hand. Doug had four guys pulling at his unarmed back. Obviously I knew one would die but it didn't make much sense to me to save Carley.

Anyway on topic I'd like to see Lilly die if she comes back. I never really cared for her character and her going through a 'redemption' storyline sounds ham-handed and annoying.

As for the Carley love... I mean this in the nicest way possible but the kinds of guys who play video games seem to really like the quirky/nerdy/awkward/hot characters. See Tali, etc.
  • edited August 2013
    I understand what you are saying, but I am not the stereotypical gamer, and for the record I played Mass Effect and I did not romance Tail.
  • edited August 2013
    ^ #femshep #garrus

I assume that many people were "in love" with Carley because well, there were only four female members of the original group there and Clementine (Ohgod), Katjaa, and Lilly didn't really appeal to most of the players, not only that but she constantly took Lee's side and supported his decisions and she is the only character technically to have be a "romance option" for Lee. Maybe season 2 will give us another shot at love haha! But hopefully they're not married (Leland)
  • edited August 2013
    Funny that you mention Mass Effect, I for one was the only person I have ever known that picked a female Shepard, it was the voice I say, she has a better voice, but anyway on topic I saved Carley for the same reasons most people did, she saved my life, she was nice, trustworthy, you know.
  • edited August 2013
    Is Carley partly Asian

Whites can have darker tones too, dude. :p
  • edited August 2013
    DreadMagus wrote: »
    Whites can have darker tones too, dude. :p

Ik ik I was just kidding :)

But sometimes I swear I see the Asian-ness in her

Maybe she's only 1/4 Asian? :D
  • edited August 2013
    Maybe, maybe not, I just wish we could have talked to her more often and knew more about her, we don't even know her last name.
  • edited August 2013
    Maybe, maybe not, I just wish we could have talked to her more often and knew more about her, we don't even know her last name.

Well, we actually never knew ANYONE'S last name, but Lee's. Even Clem's last name is still a mystery.
  • edited August 2013

Well if Lee and Carley's relationship advanced to a new level , we would know her last name and then her last name would be Everett right now . I can the imagine the wedding , if you always side with Kenny he will be your Man of Honor and the one who will catch the flowers will be Ben . :D
  • edited August 2013
    Well if Lee and Carley's relationship advanced to a new level , we would know her last name and then her last name would be Everett right now . I can the imagine the wedding , if you always side with Kenny he will be your Man of Honor and the one who will catch the flowers will be Ben . :D

A wedding of any kind would be way too sweet. What's the point of a wedding in a zombie apocalypse anyway.

As for someone saying Carley was too good to be true, well, I do like characters that have a good side and a bad side, they are often regarded as the most realistic ones, but honestly, it ain't always like that in life. There are simply good natured people and Carley seemed to be one of them. Doug too. Not EVERY single seemingly good thing has to have a secret bad side or this trick will get old pretty fast. It already kinda is. It has been truly a while since any game/movie caught me by surprise when revealing that this good guy you've known all along is (:OOOO) actually a villain! Seems like every mature storytelling media has to have at least one of those at some point now.
  • edited August 2013
    A wedding of any kind would be way too sweet. What's the point of a wedding in a zombie apocalypse anyway.

I was just being sarcastic .
  • edited August 2013
    Because Ben always running away from death, instead of fighting it and trying to help other *cough Clementine *cough
  • edited August 2013
    Also, how did Ben survive longer than Carley?

Because idiocy is the most powerful weapon in a Zombie Apocalypse .
  • edited August 2013
    I'm female but..
    Roy1306 wrote: »
    well not exactly "in love" with carley,I chose her in episode 1 and liked her for some reasons :

1- even before u get to the "save Doug or Carley" part she saved lee and clem's life twice.

2- she knows about your past,but keep it to herself even if you chose the "I dont trust you" option

if you save her she is 1 of the most nicest characters in the game,she tells lee the group is looking up to him and shot Andy St.John at the dairy
    in the beginning in episode 3 her advice seemed to save lee during "argument on the road" - if lee tells kenny about his past kenny says to Lilly that he dont care - he alredy knew.
    my save was 100% Lilly untill episode 3 when i defended carley from the accusions - carley was a nice character and to bad she died :S
    Carley was a good character. I know the people who are pissed at Lilly are because she basically killed Carley for telling her to grow up. With Doug you can say it was an accident. With Carley there seemed to be a lot of jealousy there, especially if Lilly is Lee's friend before she shoots Carley. I think she says something like "I had to protect you and Clem..." if your close to both her and Carley. So there is that jealous lover connection with her on some playthroughs.
    I am not a fan of how Lilly reacts to shooting Carley, with Doug she seems surprised but with Carley she shows no regret, all the more reasons to put her down like the rat she is.

^ This, This and This.
  • edited August 2013
    doom saber wrote: »
    I don't know what is up with The Walking Dead franchise, but I've noticed that ppl are hellbent in killing Lilly primarily because she killed Carley. I picked Doug in my game because I thought Carley was smart enough to defend the walkers alone. Then again, we are talking about a reporter who didn't know that radios require batteries to function.

The Carley fans are like the Daryl Dixion fans who wanted to kill the actress who played Andrea just because her character accidentally shot Daryl.

To be honest I have no idea I like Lilly better!
  • edited August 2013
    Ehkay wrote: »
    To be honest I have no idea I like Lilly better!

Well Ehkay we like Carley because we have opinions . Not everybody is going to love Lilly .
    Oh and I like Carley more than Lilly because she actually looks like a lady and she doesn't look like she takes steroids like Lilly . :D
  • edited August 2013
    Okay?
  • edited August 2013
    Well my choices were between this girl who wears purple with the same name as someone I was fond of, or Doug... Carley was more interesting to talk to, making her loss more tragic than Doug's.
  • edited August 2013
    Oh and I like Carley more than Lilly because she actually looks like a lady and she doesn't look like she takes steroids like Lilly . :D

Bahahahaha. Nice.
  • edited August 2013
    So true, Carley was so much better, from looks to personality, if only Carley had made it.
  • edited August 2013
    I found Carley to be one of the most likable characters in the game, and I really felt genuinely bummed when she died. It even caused me to rewind the chapter and play it over, to see if I could save her, which is something that I did not think that I would do in the game. I saved her early on in the game, only because I found her to be the most interesting of the two choices (not because she's hot) which I'm not sure is possible for a cell-shaded CGI character. Also, neither of the two deserved to live or die any more than the other, as far as I could tell.
  • edited August 2013
    I love Carley because she trusted Lee, allways was with him and they're so cute together.
  • edited August 2013
    Doug's death was the only part I almost cried at.

I liked Doug as much as you guys liked Carley.

Doug was a cool guy too. If he had just gotten as much screen time as Carley in Episode 1, the stats would have been closer to 50/50.
  • edited August 2013
    I watched two playthroughs and both times the first truly extreme reaction was Carley's death. If you don't understand the feelings of the people for the scene, playthroughs should be watched. It's not especially easy to make people cry in a game but episode three put me, and many others, through the wringer. Going through Carley's, and then Kat's, deaths is about as hard as an experience as I have had all year.

Partly because it's unexpected, both times. I doubt it would have hit quite as hard if they had died from zombies. Partly because the characterizations are good. The game really lets you bond with the various people in the story. Plus, because you 'choose' to save Carley/Doug, you become more interested in their welfare. Also, Carley is just a darn good character. While some of the reasons are listed, there are also others such as...
    • Helps you come to terms with the murder and how you should deal with it.
    • Says she is willing to go without the food.
    • Doesn't LET YOU DIE if you fail to tap the button fast enough.
    • Actually believes you when you say something and doesn't argue.
    • Not just a dead eye, that girl ALWAYS CARRIES HER DAMN GUN!!

She doesn't just keep your past a secret for you, she actually helps you realize that killing your ex-wife doesn't need to define the person you become in this new world. Other characters don't really care about making sure Clem is fed first, and given how all players like Clem, anyone that is also protective of her will gain some serious points. In addition, Lilly and Kenny both let you die at various points.

Then there is her combat skills. Sure, people remember what she did but we also should keep in mind what she was capable of doing too. For instance, if Carley had been sitting at the St. John Brother's Mark meal, she would have had her gun drawn as soon as Lee had stated they were eating him while everyone else was just looking at Lee like a bunch of morons.

Also, her trouble with batteries was frikken adorable!

There, I said it. Why do people keep bringing up the batteries as a slur? When Lee was all "oh no. Batteries?" I got a big laugh out of it. What had been a silly side quest made an unexpected return and the teasing made me like the Carley/Lee pairing even more.
  • edited August 2013
    TomaO2 wrote: »
    There, I said it. Why do people keep bringing up the batteries as a slur? When Lee was all "oh no. Batteries?" I got a big laugh out of it. What had been a silly side quest made an unexpected return and the teasing made me like the Carley/Lee pairing even more.

Maybe it's because that someone in her position as a reporter really should know how to use batteries. It's like going to the police and finding out that they don't know how to use a gun, or don't know how to make an arrest.
  • edited August 2013
    Roy1306 wrote: »
    well not exactly "in love" with carley,I chose her in episode 1 and liked her for some reasons :

1- even before u get to the "save Doug or Carley" part she saved lee and clem's life twice.

2- she knows about your past,but keep it to herself even if you chose the "I dont trust you" option

if you save her she is 1 of the most nicest characters in the game,she tells lee the group is looking up to him and shot Andy St.John at the dairy
    in the beginning in episode 3 her advice seemed to save lee during "argument on the road" - if lee tells kenny about his past kenny says to Lilly that he dont care - he alredy knew.
    my save was 100% Lilly untill episode 3 when i defended carley from the accusions - carley was a nice character and to bad she died :S

Sorry to kick up an old post, but someone quoted it, and I felt a responsibility to say something about it.

1) Doug saved Lee, kinda. He warned him about the zombies coming after him.
    2) Doug woulda done the same.
    3) Doug does the exact same thing, but with a laser pointer... I mean, come on, that is so badass.
    4) Kenny later says he doesn't care, that the past is the past if you save Doug.

They were both nice characters, but Doug got a better death, and was a cooler character overall.
  • edited August 2013
    Carley helps out a lot with Lee's Character Growth. but she's static when it comes to her development.
  • edited August 2013
    As soon as he saved him with a laser pointer, that's when he became my favorite character in the game.
  • edited August 2013
    I always liked Doug better than Carley. Probably why I saved him 1 more time than Carley.
  • edited August 2013
    Ben Paul wrote: »
    I always liked Doug better than Carley. Probably why I saved him 1 more time than Carley.

Ben you couldn't save Clementine in episode 4 but you could save DOUG ?!
    HAHAHA !
    You couldn't even save a snail from drowning .
  • edited August 2013
    I actually did something good for the group. I told them that you turn no matter what, so most of the group wouldn't die in the meat locker.

Also, I killed Larry in a way, but that's for another time.
This discussion has been closed.