That PC Version

Is it me or has the PC version been kinda marginalised? At least 3 people I've spoken to (plus many more I've seen online) have said things like 'Yeah, but I don't have a Wii' and after all, the only evidence of the PC version is an afterthought at the end of the press release and a small visual gag during one of the adverts. Some websites aren't even reporting the PC version.

I'm sure Nintendo would like it if people bought a Wii under the mistaken impression that it was the only way to play this game, but I'm getting a little bored of posting messages saying 'It's a PC game, too!' Especially as (I imagine) there are more PC owners in the core audience than Wii owners.

Also - and I'm sure this isn't the case - it kinda gives the impression that the PC version is just a quick and dirty afterthought port without much thought going into it. Perhaps the balance will be restored a bit once we have a date for the PC version?

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    We will have many more details about the PC version coming soon. We wanted to start with the WiiWare announcement, so we're holding the PC details back for its own announcement. (And they'll come with plenty of time for people to make an informed decision about which version to buy.)

Our decisions about how to reveal information has NOTHING to do with the game's development! The game is being developed for PC and Wii simultaneously with equal amounts of effort going into both. The PC version will be great, don't worry.
  • edited April 2008
    A week ago, none of us knew about the game's existence at all, let alone the PC version. Give it time.
  • edited April 2008
    Oh, I'm certainly not complaining. I just noticed that there's a bit of confusion around the release, given the number of people lamenting that they don't have a Wii, and the PC version sometimes not being reported.

As I said, I was sure that it had nothing to do with the development - but I can see how someone might get that impression.
  • edited April 2008
    PC is awesome.
    Don't get us wrong, having it on PC is a definite awesome.

But for the ones who have hated the Wii: Playing Strong Bad on the Wii with minimal and ridiculously fun wiggle and waggle, makes a lot of sense, and transcends all hatrednessessesseses.

And for the ones who never really cared for the Wii, or have been looking for one: The idea of kicking the Cheat with motion control or easy point-and-click action sounds amusing and intriguing, and this game is the "Push" they need to start searching for the Wii (or even more-so).

And of course, for the poor college man/woman (sucks not having money even for food), or sheltered child: They probably don't have a lot of space, or enough "power" in their comps, as they probably destroyed their space with MMOs and RTSs up the wazoo, or they're still using a computer that's as old as Strong Bad's computers.

And for hardcore fans: Knowing the Chap-Bros. love Nintendo, is enough incentive to get it for the Wii instead of the PC. (Or for the people who have enough cash: Both)

We'll get the PC version too. But the Wii version just sounds intriguing at this point. First, give us time to process all this awesomeness that has appeared before our worldly senses... then we'll think rationally.
  • edited April 2008
    Will they come out at the same time? Both versions sound good and I'm going to give them time, but I will feel a bit screwed over my support for Sam and Max if the Wii gets SB first.
  • edited April 2008
    I have a question to, is it going to be a direct port? or is it going to be an entirely different game?
  • edited April 2008
    It is not a port. They are being developed concurrently.
  • edited April 2008
    Also it's the same game on both platforms. Man if we had the time and manpower to make two entirely different Strong Bad games we'd be like, I dunno, EA or something.
  • edited April 2008
    mikew wrote: »
    Also it's the same game on both platforms. Man if we had the time and manpower to make two entirely different Strong Bad games we'd be like, I dunno, EA or something.

And that would suck big time. Thank heavens you guys are not a massive publisher like EA.
  • edited April 2008
    Thank heavens you guys are not a massive publisher like EA.

Agreed.

Though I enjoyed their old bass fishing game. :p
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited April 2008
    Agreed.

Though I enjoyed their old bass fishing game. :p

Yeah, there's nothing quite like virtual fishing for old bass.
  • edited April 2008
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Yeah, there's nothing quite like virtual fishing for old bass.

They'd be pretty easy to catch. All they'd do is sit around in retirement homes telling stories about the people they got away from.
  • edited April 2008
    say, since it comes in PC, is there a free demo for the game? MY ATTENTIONSPAND CAN'T WAIT TWO MONTHS!!! well it probably can but I've been seeing alot of gameplay samples and it makes it look more awesomer. please don't think I'm a nerd
  • edited April 2008
    Don't worry I would have to say anyone who posts on these forums can't in good conscience not be considered a nerd.
    edited April 2008
    We don't usually release demos until the full game is out, so you'll have to wait. Sorry. :p
  • edited April 2008
    Speaking of demos.
    Because of the (assumed) nature of the core part of the game, (point&click to hear&listen,) watching teasers and trailers is kind of like playing the game itself.

It's like an adventure! *crickets*
  • edited April 2008
    I'm a total Wii freak, but I'm not sure which version will be more awesome. Using the Wii-mote to navigate through the world of (Strong) Bad sounds awesome, but I'm wondering if the PC version will have certain advantages. It may not make sense, but I'm just curious.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm probably going to get most of the episodes on the Wii, but some of them I might have to get on PC instead.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited April 2008
    Kayube wrote: »
    I'm probably going to get most of the episodes on the Wii, but some of them I might have to get on PC instead.

Ummm... Ok, sure. I guess you could do that. I'm curious... why would you want to?
  • edited April 2008
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Ummm... Ok, sure. I guess you could do that. I'm curious... why would you want to?
    It's a secret to everybody.
  • edited April 2008
    It's because I'm at college and my Wii is at home (because otherwise I might be wasting all my time on that... as opposed to wasting all my time with other things like I do now...) so I only have the PC when I'm away from home. Thus, when I'm not at home I'll have to get the PC versions.
  • edited April 2008
    I've been a PC Gamer girl for 10 years. I was "concidering" Sam & Max, but making a Strongbad games seals that deal.

Wasn't the a Sam & Max cartoon in the late 80s or early 90s?
  • edited April 2008
    Sam and Max was a comic in the late 80's, a game in the early 90's and a cartoon in the late 90's.

Go check out the store for the reprint of "Surfin The Highway" (the comics), and the DVD set (just released!) of the cartoon. You'll have to search to find the LucasArts game "Sam and Max Hit the Road" because it's generally only found in the 'bargain bin' nowadays.

For more on the history of Sam and Max, check out
    http://telltalegames.com/summerofsamandmax
    (Weeks 2, 4, 6 & 8)
  • edited April 2008
    I'm wondering. Will you, by any chance, be making a Mac version?
  • edited April 2008
    JordanBBad wrote: »
    I'm wondering. Will you, by any chance, be making a Mac version?

I doubt it. But if you really want to play it on a Macintosh, you can always install Windows on it, or use Fusion or Parallels. :D
  • edited April 2008
    I doubt it. But if you really want to play it on a Macintosh, you can always install Windows on it, or use Fusion or Parallels. :D
    really? i wanna see you try on my g3 ibook...:D
  • edited April 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    really? i wanna see you try on my g3 ibook...:D

Well, I was speaking for the newer Macs with the Intel chipsets.
  • dohdoh
    edited April 2008
    Well my 2 cents is I let some people know about it and they were more primed about the sam and max stuff coming out/getting ported to the Wii. So that was good business sense Telltale.

As for Stong Bad and great Awesome I will play it on either platform. I am wondering if there will be a full season discount for the Wii version as well since I always wait then buy. That would probably break any tie for me.
  • edited April 2008
    Telltale, generally what kind of delay can we expect to take place between an episode's Wii release and its PC release? Days? A month? Multiple months?
  • edited April 2008
    They said a month is their plan.
  • edited April 2008
    I got a wii, but i dont want to download it from the shopping channel. My internet dosnt work too well with the wii so i wanna get it for the computer. I hope they make it though.
  • edited April 2008
    THERE SHOULD SOOOOOOOO BE A MAC VERSION!!!!! i just got a mac G4 so there isn't many games i can get so getting the game would be a godsend
  • edited April 2008
    There'll be different Easter Eggs for each I'm sure.

Oh I'm Psyched.

-m0r
  • edited April 2008
    Ow my pain wrote: »
    THERE SHOULD SOOOOOOOO BE A MAC VERSION!!!!! i just got a mac G4 so there isn't many games i can get so getting the game would be a godsend
    there should be a mac version for every good software...but unfortunately that's not the case. strange world...
    Juhsayngul wrote: »
    the way i understood it, the pc and wii release will be at the same time and the delay between episodes will be one month..i hope it's that way.
  • edited April 2008
    Oh, I got that mixed up. I thought he meant the delay between episodes.
    edited April 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    there should be a mac version for every good software...

Agreed.

Random aside: I trash-picked a classic iMac off the street this morning with the vain hope that I can install OS8 on it and play all my old Mac Sierra games. Don't know yet if it works. :p

(Also - there are a ton of Mac fans at Telltale and we'd love to port our tools to Mac, but it's not something we're working on at the moment. Maybe someday...)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008

We didn't say that. We haven't actually released any information about release dates for the PC versions of episodes, relative to their Wii counterparts. When we know, you'll know :)
  • edited April 2008
    Oh, I got that mixed up. I thought he meant the delay between episodes.

Yeah.
  • edited April 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    We didn't say that. We haven't actually released any information about release dates for the PC versions of episodes, relative to their Wii counterparts. When we know, you'll know :)

well... for TT not knowing anything, i sure am getting the vibe that us PC users will be waiting a long ass time after the Wii versions are out for our copies....
  • edited April 2008
    I'm not sure how you're getting that vibe from no information at all, but okay :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.