Telltale thinks Game of Thrones is bigger than TWD. If TTG's GoT is a success will they abandon TWD?

edited April 2014 in Game Of Thrones

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/arts/video-games/a-gaming-company-devoted-to-narrative-tackles-thrones.html#

Amid that growth, Mr. Bruner and Mr. Connors felt confident enough to pursue something they considered even bigger than The Walking Dead: “We’re giant interactive storytelling dorks, and we’re giant ‘Game of Thrones’ dorks,” Mr. Bruner said.

:(

Comments

• They will feel pretty stupid when they find out....

No Telltale game will surpass The Walking Dead's story for at least another 5-10 years.

• If TWD season 2 does good then we'll probably get another season. GOT is just an epic HBO series with darker themes and adult content. TTG's won't abandon TWD

Legendary12 posted: »

They will feel pretty stupid when they find out.... No Telltale game will surpass The Walking Dead's story for at least another 5-10 years.

• I think that they will end Clem's story next season and move on to a new group for the following season(s).

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

TWD is a big money maker for them, depending on where they go with the story i don't see them abandoning it unless they feel ending Clementine's story is the end of TWD for them. If they do decide to make a season 3 There will probably be a gap while they release GOT and TFTB. If GOT is good (which i think it could be) i would love to see season 3 of TWD and if successful season 2 of GOT release together.

• They certainly won't abandon TWD. TWD is what let them take on another big projects in the first place. Thanks to TWD wider audience got to know Telltale better. Of course Game of Thrones will probably be very good and a lot of people will buy it, but I don't think it's gonna surpass TWD. Because games like TWD season 1 happen very rarely, it was really unique experience that will be hard to repeat. I don't doubt that storytellers at TTG are very talented, though I think that TWD will still be their flag product.

• Alt text

Legendary12 posted: »

They will feel pretty stupid when they find out.... No Telltale game will surpass The Walking Dead's story for at least another 5-10 years.

• Why have one cash cow when you can have two cash cows?

• edited April 2014

Yeah, I can see them doing that. Game of Thrones as a franchise is bigger (EDIT: in terms of narrative scope) than The Walking Dead and it's a far richer and more expansive world in which to tell stories. Frankly, if they end Clementine's story in a satisfying way, I actually wouldn't mind it if they decide to put an end to the series as a whole.

• TWDG is the reason their company got even more popular, i don't think they will abandon it, maybe season 3 will take longer about 2 years rather than a year.

• they might as well drop it if all they are gonna do is release even more slowly.

Boxxy posted: »

TWDG is the reason their company got even more popular, i don't think they will abandon it, maybe season 3 will take longer about 2 years rather than a year.

• I dont see the issue obviously with each new bit of work they'll seek to improve. There not necessary forgetting other games.

• I'm not into GoT in any Way. So it wouldn't for me at least.

• edited April 2014

They never said directly that they consider GoT to be even bigger than The Walking Dead. It's just a shitty nytimes article.

Amid that growth, Mr. Bruner and Mr. Connors felt confident enough to pursue something they considered even bigger than The Walking Dead

Alt text

• edited April 2014

I actually wouldn't mind it if they decide to put an end to the series as a whole.

Get out.

DomeWing333 posted: »

Yeah, I can see them doing that. Game of Thrones as a franchise is bigger (EDIT: in terms of narrative scope) than The Walking Dead and it's

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2014

Note that they haven't forgotten about Sam & Max despite the success of The Walking Dead (the characters still are among the main characters in Poker Night 2, released only last year), so I doubt they'll abandon The Walking Dead even if Game of Thrones turns out to be a bigger success.

I'm sure what it really depends on is two factors.

First, it depends on whether Telltale still has the license (this was a problem for King's Quest, as Telltale lost the license before the release of the game due to the delays caused by Jurassic Park, and the Bone games, which ended earlier than Telltale wanted, since they lost the license when Warner Bros. announced they were making a Bone movie, as Jake Rodkin expressed a desire to make new Bone games when he was still working at Telltale, but lamented the fact that they no longer had the license).

Most importantly, it depends on whether Telltale feels confident that they still have stories to tell that warrant a whole season (which is probably the reason why Sam & Max are in smaller stories for a while until Telltale is confident that they have a good enough story to tell that warrants a whole season).

• edited April 2014

Nah, I think I'll stay. I may not be that interested in the Walking Dead universe, but I'm still interested in the story Telltale's crafted in it. I also happen to be looking forward to the story that they'll craft for the Game of Thrones universe. And it's looking like a pretty expansive one, given that it's a "multi-year, multi-title partnership." So if that's not something you're going to be interested in, maybe you'll be the one who'll have to "get out."

gd3232 posted: »

I actually wouldn't mind it if they decide to put an end to the series as a whole. Get out.

• nooooooo clemyyy. :(

Tyranitar posted: »

I think that they will end Clem's story next season and move on to a new group for the following season(s).

• Walking Dead Comics > Game of Thrones Books

Walking Dead TV Show > Game of Thrones TV Show (if nothing else, then at least in terms of numbers, but I say quality and story too)

So that can only mean one thing....

Walking Dead Game > Game of Thrones Game

• edited April 2014

Most of this is simply your opinion, but the franchise as a whole is not more popular than The Walking Dead Franchise. The Walking Dead novels and comics are more popular than the Game of Thrones books(though that may be attributed to them have run for ten years), the TV Show is FAR more popular than the Game of Thrones TV show, and Walking dead already has two Seasons as a game so...

Yeah, I can see them doing that. Game of Thrones as a franchise is bigger (EDIT: in terms of narrative scope) than The Walking Dead and it's

• Oh, I didn't mean that Game of Thrones is more popular than The Walking Dead. By saying that it was a bigger franchise, I meant that it had a bigger scope and scale in terms of storytelling compared to The Walking Dead.

The storyline of Game of Thrones (well, A Song of Ice and Fire but whatever) spans hundreds of years in a completely different world. The Walking Dead spans a few years in the southern United States. GoT has more characters, more storylines, more factions and forces competing for different end-goals. There's just more there to work with and that presents a greater challenge for Telltale than something like The Walking Dead.

I assumed that was what Kevin Bruner and Dan Connors meant by what they said. If not, then yes, they were simply wrong.

Zyphon posted: »

Most of this is simply your opinion, but the franchise as a whole is not more popular than The Walking Dead Franchise. The Walking Dead nove

• the walking dead is the best game ever made and will never be surpassed. end of story. :p

• the wlaking dead > any other game

Zyphon posted: »

Walking Dead Comics > Game of Thrones Books Walking Dead TV Show > Game of Thrones TV Show (if nothing else, then at least in terms

• They would be stupid to COMPLETELY stop the Walking Dead.

• GoT is awesome!But TWD is more awesome!

• What's Tara looking down at when Abraham steps forward? Just wondering.

• While producing Game of Thrones, which is due this year

That's a laugh.

• edited April 2014

I also happen to be looking forward to the story that they'll craft for the Game of Thrones universe. And it's looking like a pretty expansive one, given that it's a "multi-year, multi-title partnership." So if that's not something you're going to be interested in, maybe you'll be the one who'll have to "get out."

So, you're basically telling me to get out from The walking dead forum because i'm not interested in Game of Thrones universe? ヅ

Nah, I think I'll stay. I may not be that interested in the Walking Dead universe, but I'm still interested in the story Telltale's crafted

• I don't know if they even should make season 3. If so, it should have different gameplay, 'cause some people blame Telltale that the season 2 has the very same gameplay like the first season (I'm not one of them)

I (as a big fan of GRRM's books and GoT) am glad they're making GoT game. I hope it'll be awesome!

• I don't like anything about game of thrones... I mean maybe telltale can make a game that will make me interested in the franchise but i'd be pissed if they abandoned the walking dead. I don't think any game they or anyone will ever make will top TWDG in my opinion.

• I'm telling you that if you aren't going to be interested in what is clearly Telltale's next big project, you might not find much to do on their site. I suppose you could always just hang around asking when the next season of Walking Dead is coming out in hopes that they'll listen to you. Ask the Sam & Max fans how that one's going.

gd3232 posted: »

I also happen to be looking forward to the story that they'll craft for the Game of Thrones universe. And it's looking like a pretty expansi

• Not gonna lie I am really looking forward to the game of thrones game. I definatley prefer the books and show when compared to the walking dead. Hopefully the game can do this as well.

• Its definitely not more popular but it is a better story bookswise and there is a lot to mine there. Im actually looking forward to seeing what they do with it. I also am not married to the idea of the The Walking Dead games going on for infinity. If they wrap up Clem's story well, I would be okay with seeing it end. I do still want to to see more about the 400 days survivors though. When are we getting that?

• They can't. I don't care about GoT - TWD is the great story which has to continue and end like s01.

• Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Tyranitar posted: »

I think that they will end Clem's story next season and move on to a new group for the following season(s).

• I never checked up what GOT is yet, so I don't know how to answer that entirely except that they shouldn't abandon TWD, there's still much potential to it.

• Rick's erect penis

What's Tara looking down at when Abraham steps forward? Just wondering.

• Four years of silence pretty much.

I'm telling you that if you aren't going to be interested in what is clearly Telltale's next big project, you might not find much to do on t

• pff please

• And the fifth will be the same... :(

Four years of silence pretty much.

• How about be happy that you would at least be getting the game? No?

they might as well drop it if all they are gonna do is release even more slowly.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.