Q&A With the Team

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Lena_P wrote: »
    I don't want to say much more since I don't know how to do that spoiler text thing

<spoiler> text </spoiler> with /B] and [B brackets instead.
  • edited June 2009
    Well, now I just feel bad for not attempting to answer your questions ;) That generally means, we don't know, we're not at liberty to say, or this thread has just gotten bigger than anyone thought it would! Alas, let me try.
    Sure, i just wanted to give you a little nudge for what's possible to answer. ;O)
    I haven't heard anything about localizations yet. If not, think of how much fun you'll have translating for your daughter! You can do all the piratey voices you want!
    *lol* Well, if you put it this way. Hope it won't be too much of a déjà vu after Sam&Max.
    We make 'em as fast as we can. A month seems to be about our breaking point, but I'm sure we'd experiment with the sweet spot of release times for episodes if we could.
    Although i would understand if this isn't possible on your side (maybe it would be with two teams (seperated where it makes sense) working on intermediate episodes and with long enough ahead time, so that keeping up a months dev cycle whilst lowering it to a two weeks release date so that a four or five episodes season could be played more in a quarter.

Anyway, just from a gamers perspective, after enjoying an episode, i always felt that it's kind of too long waiting for the next one. It's like you stay kind of addicted due to game you just played through, you're still in the game and want some more, then after some time things cool down, you're loosing kind of interest and then after some weeks things heat up again, sometimes this happens before, sometimes after the episode has been released.

It's kind of like a weekly serie you're enjoying watching. The usual 45 minutes once a week aren't as pleasing as if they release two times a week or even better are showing two episodes in a row just once a week and after the season is over just taking a longer break.
    25? 30? It's hard to say, it's always changing. I'm coming over from WG right now, while others are jumping back and forth, etc.
    So you're now doing design on TOMI for later episodes or is it more about helping out on always the latest release?
    The hint system doesn't give us, the designers, carte blanche to create mind-bending, spirit-breaking puzzles. Earlier I read somebody describe the MI games of old as trying to "beat" the player -- which is just about right when you think of some of those puzzles. Our puzzles are going to be pretty close to what you're familiar with when it comes to Telltale, but with some added MI complexity (which is usually pretty bizarre). Our hint system will work the same as it has in our other games, but hints might be delivered in a more organic fashion (which you'll have to play to see!
    I think Mr. Stemmle said this in the gamespot interview as well but honestly i never felt this way and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me either because mostly it's obviously harder getting things out others came up with. I

It doesn't need to be hardcore but a little bit more complexity here, less obviousness there and more elegant unique puzzles which work less after a familiar schema, whilst still having a healthy mix of more easy and harder ones would be nice. In earlier series i sometimes found the riddles a bit too much of a click&go experience with only a few stoppers built in. I guess i'll be fine as it sounded like that's what we'll be getting this time.

Thanks for taking the time!
  • edited June 2009
    Sorry if I miss yours. Feel free to ask it again.

So Dave, tell your german fans if you will tell to your publisher that they have to contact norman matt for the german speech version of tales of mi ?!?!?!?! It´s a must!!!!!!!!
  • edited June 2009
    <spoiler> text </spoiler> with /B] and [B brackets instead.
    Like this? Thanks! I've used computers for 19 years and all I really know how to do is type and turn the thing on and off.
  • edited June 2009
    Can you tell us which screen resolutions will be available to play the game and do you plan some PhysX support in this or future version of your engine?
  • edited June 2009

Sorry if I miss yours. Feel free to ask it again.

Ok

1- Did you approach Lucas arts to make the game or did they approach you?

2- How long have you guys been working on this, and how long have you known about the project?

3- I believe it was pointed out that several people knew about tales prior to it's announcement without embargo not leaking it, do you think this was due to politeness or am I getting the wrong end of the stick.
  • edited June 2009
    This is a question for everyone on the team: how did you first find out that Telltale/you would be working on a new Monkey Island, and how did you react?

edit for clarity
  • edited June 2009
    This is a question for everyone: how did you first find out that Telltale would be working on a new Monkey Island, and how did you react?
    Twitter. I explode.
  • edited June 2009
    This is a question for everyone: how did you first find out that Telltale would be working on a new Monkey Island, and how did you react?

I was looking around the LucasArts site for new Indy clips (they're making Indiana Jones on the Wii, actually launched today), when my eyes fell on this big, blue image of Melee Island, and small, yellow text that read "The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition".

In the first 3/4 of a second, I almost had a heart attack. I thought that they finally made MI5! Then, I was like "Oh wait, no...no they didn't... but this is great too! This has great potantial*! If this will sell, they MIGHT do MI5!".
    I rushed to youtube, searched for several clips from the game, loved tham all... and then... I saw a comment, underneath a clip. It was something like "I can't wait for the TellTale MI either!"... ooookay, what's that? I thought LucasArts was re-making Monkey Island.

I rapidly accesed the TTG site and...well, we all know what's on their main page. I think I watched the trailer at least 14-16 times in a row. I had to REALLY control myself, being at work and all... people aropund me... it wouldn't have been nice for my head to explode. TWO MI GAMES????

It was a bit of an eerie moment too... I started visiting old MI websites... Nostalgic feelings... Goi in touch with people I haven't spoken to in 3-5 years. Saw my old MI fan-comics (I couldn't believe they still kept them). Took at least 4 days to get it into my head.

Being an Indy fan and a Silent Hill fan... the announcements of four great games in such a short period of time...was overwhelming. I am STILL having a silly grin on my face as I'm typing this.

How was it for you guys?

*potential, mispelled
  • edited June 2009
    Hehe, sorry if I didn't form the question that well, but I was directing it towards the team. Although I do appreciate the responses.
  • edited June 2009
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Like this? Thanks! I've used computers for 19 years and all I really know how to do is type and turn the thing on and off.
    That's okay.. computers are the only thing I know. :)

Don't ask me to do anything that isn't computer-related, otherwise I'll look like this guy. :confused:
  • edited June 2009
    This is a question for everyone on the team: how did you first find out that Telltale/you would be working on a new Monkey Island, and how did you react?
    i was reading Eurogamer, and had just finished following Microsoft's keynote at E3 where i'd been hoping for a surprise XBLA Secret of Monkey Island announcement. I clicked out of the keynote page and there it was... TOMI and SOMI:SE. I clicked the video for SOMI:SE and squealed when I heard Dominic.
  • edited June 2009
    [...] I needed rhymes for all the primary colors for some reason.[..]

Wait a minute. Does this mean you also have a rhyme for 'purple' knocking around your noggin?
  • edited June 2009
    Somewere I found about the remake of SoMI, so I visited the site to take a look on the screenshots and while browsing the site I realised the small TTG logo in the right corner along with the prase "Talltale continues the Adventure!"....i thought wait a second aint that game made only by LA...i made a klick and SHOCK...
  • edited June 2009
    Rebirth wrote: »
    Somewere I found about the remake of SoMI, so I visited the site to take a look on the screenshots and while browsing the site I realised the small TTG logo in the right corner along with the prase "Talltale continues the Adventure!"....i thought wait a second aint that game made only by LA...i made a klick and SHOCK...

So did I...
  • edited June 2009
    I think you can just completely ignore the people who are rushing you to release the episodes even more often. Well, okay, not ignore, but... My fear is just the opposite, that you'll be pressed for time due to needing to complete the later episodes under a tight schedule, since by the sounds of things the puzzles and environments for the last couple of episodes haven't really been done yet. I don't want lazy graphics or fewer puzzles because of that. I'm the kind of person who wishes games were delayed more, because I always see how they could be made better and perfected with more time

(On a slight tangent here, some games I liked actually had a rushed development period to meet a deadline, which hurt the content in the game in some way that put it behind other games in the series. Super Mario Sunshine's blue coins and low level count, and TLoZ: The Wind Waker's Triforce hunt and two missing dungeons are examples of this. Once a game is out and rushed, it's stuck that way permanently, and while console gamers complain about release dates and delays, in the long run nobody cares when they came out - we all wish they'd just spent more time in the oven so they could be contenders for Best Game Ever status.)

That's actually why I'm curious about how long you've been making this, too. Someone mentioned only keeping the secret for around 6 months? That seems like a short amount of time to make a really awesome game, although obviously I can't speak for how your development cycle works (since you have the engine and tools already).
  • edited June 2009
    I think you can just completely ignore the people who are rushing you to release the episodes even more often. Well, okay, not ignore, but... My fear is just the opposite, that you'll be pressed for time due to needing to complete the later episodes under a tight schedule, since by the sounds of things the puzzles and environments for the last couple of episodes haven't really been done yet. I don't want lazy graphics or fewer puzzles because of that. I'm the kind of person who wishes games were delayed more, because I always see how they could be made better and perfected with more time

I 100% agree with you. I prefer having to wait a bit more and have it done well. Common guys, it's Monkey Island we are talking about. The best game serie so far...

If we get a good game that really hits the charts, we can expect another seasons
  • edited June 2009
    Question from overseas, Scandinavia, Norway:
    What style of of humor would you compare ToMI to the previous ones?
    - The silly/corky humor of SoMI?
    - The crazy/satirical humor of MI2:LR?
    - The visual/smart humor of CMI?
    - ...or the silly/corky/crazy/satirical/visual/smart of EFMI? :P

Looking forward for the Tales!! =)

The Monkeys are listening..
    -OC
  • edited June 2009
    I have a completely stupid question this time about the private forum.

What are the plan for that private corner? I mean, will the team use it till the first episode relese, till the full season is released or even after while we are waiting for season two for instance :D ?
  • edited June 2009
    Now I know why I couldn't reach Michael Land for an interview. YOU MADE HIM SO BUSY (that's still a guess of mine). How was the cooperation between game designers and composer? (this gonna be a question for him, too)

How come that Guybrush got a beard again? MI2 is my favourite so far, cos Guybrush looked more like an adult, though behaving like a kid sometimes.
    Did the personalities of characters change in time? Will there be more new characters than old ones?

That's all for now... I guess. Ohh man you made my day yesterday, cos I just got the info yesterday and preordered right away.
  • seanvanamanseanvanaman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Candyghost wrote: »
    I have a completely stupid question this time about the private forum.

What are the plan for that private corner? I mean, will the team use it till the first episode relese, till the full season is released or even after while we are waiting for season two for instance :D ?

I imagine we'll be using it all the way through the series -- I'm not certain of the specific plans, but wouldn't it be nice to have a place you could go every month where you could heap praise and/or chastise the creators of your favorite tv show after every episode? I imagine there will be loads of questions at the end of each ep, so it'll be fun for us to hear you guys expound on what you think is going to happen.

We're always coming across stuff during the day here that we think "ooh, that'll be great for the private forum," so expect more stuff (QA's, images, etc) to come.

PS: tell your friends how AWESOME it is.
  • edited June 2009
    This goes maybe nicely in succession of your answer, Seanvanaman, and though I already posted it in the "E3 thread" I'll post it here again, because maybe it's overlooked:

What about a "Blog" on the 'secret' forums? :) Giving us a bit of an insight of how things go at TTG, like how to develop a character from idea to drawing, from drawing to computer, from static computer model to animated interactive figure. Writing the story, how the ideas are involved. You know.. "making-of" stuff, to feed us with regular information the coming month :)
  • seanvanamanseanvanaman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009

edit for clarity

Mentioned it before, but:

Dave Grossman sat me down and asked me if it's something I would want to work on. Huminahhuminahhuminah! With a stroke of fate (and scheduling) it was to be.

From Wallace to Monkey, Telltale has allowed me to work on two of the my most beloved properties ever.
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    tomst wrote: »
    Hi guys, will we be seeing any cinematic cutscenes (higher quality renders like the S&M S2 trailer) in the episodes?
    I love how these look, although story always comes first to me over anything else. It's just a nicer way to immerse you into that story :)

Our cutscenes are always cinematic!

Everything renders on the fly in the engine, including cutscenes (this has always been true for us), so whether they look like the SM2 trailer will depend a bit on what kind of super-macho hardware you've got on your desk. They look pretty darn good even on a clunky old machine like mine. (Game designers should always have old computers. Keeps us honest.)
  • edited June 2009
    I don't know if the question has come up yet, but how are you guys holding up under the immense pressure of having to deliver a worthy sequel to the most iconic adventure game series in the history of computer gaming?
    edited June 2009
    Hey, Dave. No spoilers, but will there be plenty of islands to explore over the season, like how free MI2 was to explore?

And will there be a good balance of seriousness with humor, instead of just straight no constraints Marx Brothers joke after joke humor? (Not that I have anything against the Marx Bros, they rock.) (This has been asked so many times I feel stupid doing so myself, plus I almost would rather just decide for myself, but I'd like your opinion without spoilers I guess.)

One of the things I've always loved about Monkey Island was how the moment-by-moment dialog and actions were funny, but the broad strokes of the stories were actually quite serious. I mean, the first one is about a young man pursuing his life's dream, discovering something that means more to him in the process (Elaine), and acting heroically to protect that something - that's hardly the description of a typical screwball comedy. From the beginning I've been bringing it up with Mark and Mike (and Joe and Sean, too) to treat the story seriously and allow the humor to come through in the details, and they've done a terrific job with it. I think you'll be pleased.

As for islands, you get to explore a number of islands and other locations of varying sizes, though not all at the same time like in MI2 - this being an episodic series, it will feel a little more Odyssey-like, where you spend one chapter in one part of the Caribbean, travel to a different part for the next chapter, and so on. In that respect it will also be somewhat different from our earlier series like Sam & Max - Sam & Max's neighborhood was central to all of the episodes, as were Strong Bad's neighborhood and Wallace & Gromit's house, but there isn't really a parallel for that in the Monkey Island series, you move around with the story instead.
  • edited June 2009
    (Game designers should always have old computers. Keeps us honest.)

So true! Low system requirements make players happy.
    edited June 2009
    So Dave, tell your german fans if you will tell to your publisher that they have to contact norman matt for the german speech version of tales of mi ?!?!?!?! It´s a must!!!!!!!!

How could we ignore that many exclamation points?
    I'm not precisely sure how we'll be handling things like that, but I'll look into it.
    edited June 2009
    patters wrote: »
    1- Did you approach Lucas arts to make the game or did they approach you?

We've pinged them about it at various times since Telltale was founded five years ago. I don't even know who made the first phone call this time around, but one important thing that changed was that LucasArts has a new president, Darrell Rodriguez, who seems to be somewhat proactive about revitalizing some of the adventure franchises. They were planning to do the Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition, and it just seemed like it would be good for everybody if Telltale was also developing a new series at the same time.
    2- How long have you guys been working on this, and how long have you known about the project?

We started the design work and season planning immediately after Dan told me were definitely probably almost for sure going to do the project, which was late last year. Production proper ramped up closer to the beginning of this year, which is a fairly typical schedule for us if you've been following our other series.
    3- I believe it was pointed out that several people knew about tales prior to it's announcement without embargo not leaking it, do you think this was due to politeness or am I getting the wrong end of the stick.

Out of necessity a few people did know, though not very many. And those that knew wouldn't have said anything, obviously, for fear of The Curse. You don't want to mess with The Curse.
    edited June 2009
    Wait a minute. Does this mean you also have a rhyme for 'purple' knocking around your noggin?

You know, I can't remember now what I did for purple - it's possible that I punted and used "violet" instead. I'll have to go play the game again.
  • edited June 2009
    You know, I can't remember now what I did for purple - it's possible that I punted and used "violet" instead. I'll have to go play the game again.

Wait a minute. Does this mean you also have a rhyme for 'violet' knocking around your noggin?
  • edited June 2009
    Will the "Meanwhile.." screens return to showcase LeChuck's nefarious plans? I always thought this was a wonderful way of keeping him mysterious, even frightening, to the end of the game - rather than having frequent encounters with Guybrush & others that diminish the legend of LeChuck.
  • edited June 2009
    What was the first thing Ron reply after you call him to tell the news?
  • edited June 2009
    Let me see if I can ask a question that can be answered...

Given the fact that Telltale holds the publishing rights to Sam & Max, and that they have appeared as cameos in past Monkey Island games, can we expect to see them in some shape or form in Tales of Monkey Island? I do not expect them to appear in the flesh, but possibly through cave drawings, idols, mugs, or what have you.

"Ask me about Sam & Max Season Three."
  • edited June 2009
    I have a questions about Elaine. The voice actress that played her in CMI is back, correct? Or at least that's who's playing her in the SMI remake (I think). If this is confirmed I'm excited.

Also, how will Elaine be portrayed in these games? Will she be doing much in the stories? Will she be playable? IOn CMI it's usually complained by fans that she became too sweet and too much of a damsel in distress type, although in EMI, I found her to be too brazen and sarcastic to the point of just generally being obnoxious. Not to be a jerk, because I enjoyed a lot of EMI, but her character was nearly so overbearing in that game I couldn't figure out why a loser like Guybrush would want to marry her, let alone anyone else. I feel like the original Elaine from the first two Monkey Islands was somewhere comfortably inbetween the last two portrayals. Is that Elaine coming back?
  • edited June 2009
    I have a questions about Elaine. The voice actress that played her in CMI is back, correct? Or at least that's who's playing her in the SMI remake (I think). If this is confirmed I'm excited.

Also, how will Elaine be portrayed in these games? Will she be doing much in the stories? Will she be playable? IOn CMI it's usually complained by fans that she became too sweet and too much of a damsel in distress type, although in EMI, I found her to be too brazen and sarcastic to the point of just generally being obnoxious. Not to be a jerk, because I enjoyed a lot of EMI, but her character was nearly so overbearing in that game I couldn't figure out why a loser like Guybrush would want to marry her, let alone anyone else. I feel like the original Elaine from the first two Monkey Islands was somewhere comfortably inbetween the last two portrayals. Is that Elaine coming back?

I remember Jake saying something before about the original Elaine reminding him of a more toned down Marion Ravenwood. I think that's kind of what they're going for.
  • edited June 2009
    @Dave: At a little side-note (which you probably know, and I just don't get the reason for you not using this function), you can multi-quote several questions by clicking the button right to the "quote"-button. This flags the selected post to be included in your multi-quoting... I feel like an ass now telling you this. Sorry.
    edited June 2009
    Ignatius wrote: »
    What was the first thing Ron reply after you call him to tell the news?

He said, "Can I call you back?"
    edited June 2009
    @Dave: At a little side-note (which you probably know, and I just don't get the reason for you not using this function), you can multi-quote several questions by clicking the button right to the "quote"-button. This flags the selected post to be included in your multi-quoting... I feel like an ass now telling you this. Sorry.

Oh, is *THAT* how that works? I was trying to basically include the quotations that were already quoted in the message to which I was replying, and when the multi-quote didn't do that I thought it was broken. I'm just a humble game designer, this technology stuff is beyond me. (Actually, what I think it is is that I'm used to a world where if something doesn't do what I think it should, then it IS broken and I write up a bug about it.)
  • edited June 2009
    I suppose I should direct this to Dave. In EMI, it's revealed that Herman Toothrot is Grandpa Marley. Do you have any idea (since you worked on SOMI and MI2 with Ron and Tim) if that was who Herman Toothrot always was supposed to be?
This discussion has been closed.