Q&A With the Team

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Is there any way a mod can highlight the staff answers in this thread? It's tough to catch up. Maybe make them all bold, or in a special color, or something along those lines?
  • edited June 2009
    While preparing for Tales of Monkey Island, how many times did the team play through the first four games?

I am currently replaying Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, and let me say, when
    Captain Kate Capsize
    muttered the
    Sea of Beige Flotsam
    in the same breath as
    Big Whoop
    , I was a bit surprised.
    Flotsam Island
    is, of course, the first island visited in Tales of Monkey Island. Mere coincidence or something more; I guess that we will have to wait and see. ;)

If
    Captain Kate Capsize
    set out from
    Booty Island
    in search of
    Dinky Island
    (known by many different names in Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge), that would put
    Flotsam Island
    somewhere in-between the two. I have a nasty habit of over analyzing things, though.

Wait, is that the Telltale Death Squad that I hear breaking down my door?
  • edited June 2009
    flotsam means junk found in the ocean or in rivers
  • edited June 2009
    I know what it means. I looked it up as soon as Tales of Monkey Island was announced. Booty, Plunder, and many other island names have real world meanings, as well. My point is that Flotsam appears to be an established location in the series. I suppose that it could just as well be a coincidence that they chose that name again, though.

For all that we know, they may have a monkey in the office that pulls names out of a silly little hat. Which brings me to my next question. Does Telltale have a monkey in the office that pulls names out of a silly little hat?
  • edited June 2009
    Sometimes, when schedules are tight, I have to remind myself of that. We're all INCREDIBLY lucky.

Laptop tech support operator...I'll also trade you anytime.
  • edited June 2009
    RockNRoll wrote: »
    Is there any way a mod can highlight the staff answers in this thread? It's tough to catch up. Maybe make them all bold, or in a special color, or something along those lines?

Basically it's quite easy to recognize their answear. You'll see all of them have the TTG logo comments_ttgemployee_badge.png near their nickname.
  • edited June 2009
    Once more about the Subtitles !!!

I think if Telltale could ensure that the episodes at the first release already have multilingual subtitles and this would be also in the features listed, there
    will be many more pre-orderes from that countrys.

So please Tell us what`s going on about that???

Later the Publishers can arranged the speech Versions
    for the localized Releases...
  • edited June 2009
    I think if they're not doing that in the first place it's that the actual translation happens later than the base game production and trying to integrate it would do nothing but delay the game...
  • edited June 2009
    Chevluh wrote: »
    I think if they're not doing that in the first place it's that the actual translation happens later than the base game production and trying to integrate it would do nothing but delay the game...

But on Wallace&Grommit Episodes there were german subtitles.
    I`ve download first Episode as pre-order Bonus and there are...
    and there are german menues and germanlike-grafik too,
    so why not the same for Tales of Monkey Island Episodes?

Or have they actualized the W&G Episodes later and on the first
    Release there was only in english?
  • edited June 2009
    And again with the subtitles...

I asked before, but I think it got missed in the hullabaloo!

Many people have asked about subtitle translations, but what about English? As I'm Hearing Impaired, I find subtitles extremely useful. It's a shame that in recent years, the dearth of any subtitle options have rendered many games unplayable for Deaf gamers :(

It's worth remembering that MI was born and well loved long before the technology to add VO's was developed. This meant that Deaf gamers were on an equal footing with the hearing, and loved the games just as much!

This means that they'll make up a significant part of the 'old fans' market, so we really want to make sure they're included :)
  • edited June 2009
    Here's a question I think we all have, somewhere in our subcounscious. Will you implement the whole concept of "Easy version/Mega Monkey"?
    It was used in MI2 and MI3 which made the games really entertaining and replayable!
  • edited June 2009

Oh hey, that's an interesting point. I hadn't noticed that. Since I only purchased Wallace & Gromit a few days ago and not on release my answer will have to be that I don't know, really.:)
  • edited June 2009
    Just preordered the thing myself. Since there are over 30 pages in this thread, I don't really have any questions. Telltale Games is the ONLY team that can pull this off. So, thanks for that. Can't wait for the first episode, and here's hoping to other legends of P&C adventures being resurrected (hint: Day of the Tentacle)! Greetings from Serbia!
  • edited June 2009
    Here's another question, to satisfy my curiosity: How many people have pre-ordered ToMI uptil now?
  • edited June 2009
    Oh, and no Monkey Kombat. I promise. Pinky swear. I've learned my lesson, really.

Hi, I know I'm in kinda late. This may be off topic but, I don't get why people hated Monkey Kombat so much.
  • edited June 2009
    Is it just me or do characters look a lot more shinier than in your previous games? I can see my reflection in the back of Guybrush's head. By the way, I don't consider this a bad thing.
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    This is a question to Dave Grossman:

This website claims this:
    the Giant Monkey Robot was an idea originally conceived for The Secret of Monkey Island. LeChuck's ship was supposed to transform into a giant robot at the end of the game. Then the Monkey Head would have become the Giant Monkey Robot, under Guybrush's control, and there would have been a battle.

Can you confirm or deny this? If true, why didn't SMI end this way?

I do remember tossing around a giant monkey robot idea. But then, we tossed around a lot of ideas that we didn't ultimately use. One day we thought it would be the greatest and funniest thing ever to have a ship crewed by chimpanzees. "Crew of chimps," we kept saying all day, laughing every time. The next day we thought better of it and abandoned the idea.

Similarly, I don't think the monkey robot lasted long once we really started thinking about it, and I'm glad it didn't. It wouldn't have been a very satisfying ending to that particular tale, which is otherwise carried out on a much more personal level. No, I think Guybrush and LeChuck had to go hand-to-hand at the end, that's just the kind of story it was.
  • edited June 2009
    I've got a technical question. I know that you use your Telltale Tool as the engine in your games but I am curious what the actual process is, and also who created the engine in the first place. As a student currently studying for a degree in computer games programming I want to learn as much as I can about the various ways computer games are made.
  • edited June 2009

Somebody (I believe it was Jake) referred to the full localization of W&G from the start was "one of the benefits of making a game for Xbox Live Arcade" that got carried over into the PC version. Generally they don't do that. In fact, as far as I know, the Sam and Max games weren't translated until they got released as retail discs in Europe, and the Strong Bad games haven't been translated at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.
  • edited June 2009
    Are there any plans for any more gameplay/ demo videos prior to the release date?
  • SegSeg
    edited June 2009
    Kezmoo wrote: »
    Many people have asked about subtitle translations, but what about English? As I'm Hearing Impaired, I find subtitles extremely useful. It's a shame that in recent years, the dearth of any subtitle options have rendered many games unplayable for Deaf gamers :(

For English, there will be subtitles as with all Telltale games. Usually turned off by default, but a quick visit to the Option screen and flipping the switch will turn them on.
  • EricPEricP Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    mhaley wrote: »
    For all that we know, they may have a monkey in the office that pulls names out of a silly little hat. Which brings me to my next question. Does Telltale have a monkey in the office that pulls names out of a silly little hat?

He's a Bonobo and he pulls names from a very respectable and serious top hat.

He's also quite handy to have around when you're feeling indecisive about where you want to go for lunch.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    EricP wrote: »

He's also quite handy to have around when you're feeling indecisive about where you want to go for lunch.

He also cleared up that lice infestation we had a few months back. Man I love that bonobo.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2009
    EricP wrote: »

Oh, is name is Bonobo?!? I've been calling him Brendan all these years! :p
  • edited June 2009
    One day we thought it would be the greatest and funniest thing ever to have a ship crewed by chimpanzees. "Crew of chimps," we kept saying all day, laughing every time.

Did you know that in the "Arabians Nights", more precisly in the 3th voyage of Sinbad the sailor, he arrived at the shores of a Monkey Island, where he and his crew are boarded by monkeys who left them adrift, and stole their ship?
    Its a really funny coincidence, i couldnt belive it when i read it.

Now my question for the team: Is "Tales.." gonna have its own excerpt "from the memoirs of Guybrush Threepwood: The Monkey Island Years"?
  • seanvanamanseanvanaman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Oh, is name is Bonobo?!? I've been calling him Brendan all these years! :p

BURN!

I highly recommend everyone do reading on the social behaviors of Bonobos by the way.

Bow-chicka-bow-wow...
  • edited June 2009
    Ronnie wrote: »
    Hi, I know I'm in kinda late. This may be off topic but, I don't get why people hated Monkey Kombat so much.
    Oh, there's two obvious factors.

First, it required you to write down a lot of stuff because the relationships between "insults" were abstract and weren't even partly memorized by the game and were too complex for most people to just keep in their heads. Contrast this to the insult systems of MI and COMI, which weren't abstract but instead worded sentences that were thus easy to memorize and had intuitive relationships to each other (thus enabling the real puzzle, which is to figure out how they similarly relate to Carla/Rottingham's insults), and half the memorization was offloaded to the game (even if you didn't remember the sentences you would find them in your list and could instinctively rebuild the relationships). Also makes them lack the fun, the smile on your face each time you utter them. Ook ook eek gets old much faster than you fight like a cow.

Second, all those nifty notes and memorizations you made on one playthrough were utterly useless on the next because the insult relationships were randomized on each playthrough. Which by that point in time had already been a cardinal gameplay sin for quite a while: if you make players take a lot of notes, then you'd better make sure these notes will not lose their values in the next playthrough.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    BURN!

I highly recommend everyone do reading on the social behaviors of Bonobos by the way.

Bow-chicka-bow-wow...

Just think of all the wars we could end if we just followed their ways!
  • edited June 2009
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Oh, his name is Bonobo?!? I've been calling him Brendan all these years! :p

So that's why he was listed under "pets" in Season One! Here I was thinking there had been an incident with an overzealous fan.
    Will wrote: »
    Just think of all the wars we could end if we just followed their ways!

Exactly. If women ruled the world everything would be immediately better and there would never be any problems ever again. That's what you meant, right?
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    The world should be ruled by asparagus. THEN things would be peaceful.
  • edited June 2009
    Chevluh wrote: »
    Oh, there's two obvious factors.

First, it required you to write down a lot of stuff because the relationships between "insults" were abstract and weren't even partly memorized by the game and were too complex for most people to just keep in their heads. Contrast this to the insult systems of MI and COMI, which weren't abstract but instead worded sentences that were thus easy to memorize and had intuitive relationships to each other (thus ...(text cut short by me to save space).

I see your point but it just seems to me that that's what Loom was all about (what with chalking all the notes down which were also random each time).
    But then again I guess you don't have to like Loom to like Monkey
  • edited June 2009
    The world should be ruled by asparagus. THEN things would be peaceful.

You mean we'd all be forced to eat vegetables only! AIIEEE!! *jumps out of a window*

*meat lovers all over the world declare war...mass panic ensues*
  • edited June 2009
    Ronnie wrote: »
    I see your point but it just seems to me that that's what Loom was all about (what with chalking all the notes down which were also random each time).
    But then again I guess you don't have to like Loom to like Monkey

Loom's a bit different, because in Loom the formulas have to be written down, but they're still tied to very concrete stuff, the spell effects. ie the bit actually required for advancing through is, for example, that you use the hay-to-gold spell in your cell or whatever, so the problem just becomes to remember what the hay to gold spell is. It's a very linear relationship, not a fivefold rock-paper-scissor game triggered by combinations of ooks. Plus in Loom it was a central mechanic.

Also notice the "by that point in time" bit. Eleven years of gameplay evolution happened between Loom and EMI. If Loom were to be made today or even in 2001 I'm pretty sure it'd write down the spells for you, like the Zelda Wind Waker or Ocarina of Time games, which have somewhat similar magic systems, do. Or, well, like Monkey Island 2 did with the bone song.

In fact it's pretty interesting to see in the first 3 MI games they always ensure you have what you need to remember written down, and the puzzles that could be about memorization are instead about lateral thinking (the dances, shopkeeper and parrot are really the maps you need and when you complete the path once there's always a shortcut for the next trips, you have to complete recipes with the next best things, the core insult puzzles require you to answer to never-before-seen sets of insults, etc). EMI breaks that trend with Monkey kombat and to a lesser extent that bit with meeting yourself in the marshes of time.
  • edited June 2009
    You mean we'd all be forced to eat vegetables only! AIIEEE!! *jumps out of a window*

*meat lovers all over the world declare war...mass panic ensues*

Your meat is eating my food. If you don't stop it, then I'm gonna shoot at you with dried peas until you get a flesh wound. This is my last warning... I may also eat the peas and create a huge Furz (just using one German word) that blows your nose... now I get hungry.
  • edited June 2009
    So it's agreed.
    The Secret of Monkey Island is bonobos.
    Next question...
    How many heads does the office bonobo have?
  • edited June 2009
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Exactly. If women ruled the world everything would be immediately better and there would never be any problems ever again. That's what you meant, right?

Well, if we're talking about women with a similar social approach to the bonobos,
    then this possibility is quite attractive :D
  • edited June 2009
    AndyBundy wrote: »
    Your meat is eating my food. If you don't stop it, then I'm gonna shoot at you with dried peas until you get a flesh wound. This is my last warning... I may also eat the peas and create a huge Furz (just using one German word) that blows your nose... now I get hungry.

How Appropriate. You fight like a cow.
  • edited June 2009
    First, thanks to Telltale for bringing back my most loved of all computer games.

A question for everyone/anyone working on the game. What do you think is the most important aspect of a Monkey Island game? What one thing really makes it special for you?

I know alot of people allways mention the humour in the game. For me, I was young when I first played, and I think the humour mostly passed me by. I still found bits fun/funny, but not laugh out loud funny. For me, Monkey Island is special because of the world it created, the atmosphere and real sense of adventure. Its the places, characters and situations that Guybrush ended up in that I remember the most.

So, what do the developers think? And how have you tried to keep the spirt of the old games alive in your new version?
  • CezCez
    edited June 2009
    mintfresh wrote: »
    A question for everyone/anyone working on the game. What do you think is the most important aspect of a Monkey Island game? What one thing really makes it special for you?

When I played this game my engrish was really bad.

<---born and raised in Venezuela.

But I still remember laughing to no end with the games. I'll be honest and say I never found SoMI that good, but Revenge and Curse were phenomenal and two of my fav adventure games. I still remember spinning the wheel in Revenge to get past the code protection -which for some reason got me thinking that the dials in Fate of Atlantis were some kind of protection code I did not have, but I'm drifting...

Anyhow, I replayed the monkeys before I joined Telltale, and I was still so happy when I played Revenge and Curse. The puzzles, the settings, the silly humor --Dying in Curse and then finding Stan after what you did to him in Revenge? I laughed so HARD at that and I still smile remembering it. Pure genius!

I don't think I really answered the question, or made much sense, but I just get all excited when I remember how lucky I am to be able to help on a Monkey game!

*dances*
  • CezCez
    edited June 2009
    Are there any plans for any more gameplay/ demo videos prior to the release date?

If there are, I'll be capturing them :P

I haven't heard anything so far, but I'm sure there'll be something.
This discussion has been closed.