Q&A With the Team

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I think we're overlooking Dennis here (Cinematic Artist Extraordinaire). ... he has a 1/15th size Cloud Strife (20 articulating parts!) ... And did I mention his Gold copy of NES Zelda that he has mounted in a wooden shadow box?

Now that I understand!

Also, doesn't Mr. Grossman have some of his "inventions" on display in the art gallery section of http://www.phrenopolis.com?
  • edited June 2009
    Candyghost wrote: »
    One of the dev (don't remember which one) just gave that nice answear:
    "Has there already been an MI episode without Stan?"

Thanks man, have to say i haven´t play any MI without stan, but still curious :confused: . Well that was pretty exhaustive answer, gotta thank from that :D .
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    I think we're overlooking Dennis here (Cinematic Artist Extraordinaire). Not including all of his classic Nintendo mini-figs, he has a 1/15th size Cloud Strife (20 articulating parts!) and paid an exorbitant amount for a limited run Street Fighter Anniversary panoramic poster which he painstakingly mounted to foam core.

And did I mention his Gold copy of NES Zelda that he has mounted in a wooden shadow box?

I think Dennis is the clear winner, based sheerly on calories burnt in pursuing nerdom.

But Dave's bizarre contraptions are out of this world. This forum needs photos of these things.

My desk probably wins for pure garbage mass, unfortunately :(
  • edited June 2009
    Early LucasArts games totally informed my sense of humor growing up, and now...people still don't "get" me.

I feel your pain brother!
  • edited June 2009
    Hi Telltale,
    given that there has been so much agony over the interface and controls to the game, and knowing that it has not been fixed yet....
    Can it be a Private Pirates' Privilege to know, when you do know, what the controls WILL be like? Preferably before the rest of the non-pre-ordering-world. :)
  • edited June 2009
    This forum needs photos of these things.
    You got THAT right! :p
  • CezCez
    edited June 2009
    I think we're overlooking Dennis here (Cinematic Artist Extraordinaire). Not including all of his classic Nintendo mini-figs, he has a 1/15th size Cloud Strife (20 articulating parts!) and paid an exorbitant amount for a limited run Street Fighter Anniversary panoramic poster which he painstakingly mounted to foam core.

And did I mention his Gold copy of NES Zelda that he has mounted in a wooden shadow box?

I think Dennis is the clear winner, based sheerly on calories burnt in pursuing nerdom.

Don't forget the Megaman 2 bosses poster!! Which I've always envied him for!!

<--- such a Megaman fanboy.

I only have an action figure of Kos-Mos from Xenosaga, and a bunch of boring docs. BUT I WILL ADD MORE AND CONQUER THE WORLD!!
    edited June 2009
    freewheel wrote: »
    Hi Telltale,
    given that there has been so much agony over the interface and controls to the game, and knowing that it has not been fixed yet....
    Can it be a Private Pirates' Privilege to know, when you do know, what the controls WILL be like? Preferably before the rest of the non-pre-ordering-world. :)

The controls are still being beat up. We'll let you know where things land once the pummeling has finished and the dust has settled.
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    My desk probably wins for pure garbage mass, unfortunately :(

But if you accumulate enough mass, it will begin to crush under its own weight creating a beautiful, clear, crystalline structure. Your desk is a diamond waiting to happen.
  • edited June 2009
    The controls are still being beat up. We'll let you know where things land once the pummeling has finished and the dust has settled.
    But don't take the dust on high seas or else it will never settle. Keep it in the harbor.
  • edited June 2009
    Hello. I just wanted to get the most out of my Pre-Order goodies and post in the secret forum. Carry on!
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Nerdiest? I pick Stemmle, for the comic book superhero items. He's got a number of Green Lantern figures and a set of 1970s Marvel Superhero 7-11 cups. By volume it's quite restrained, but that just distills the essence of nerdiness all the better.

It's a different kind of nerdy, but I think Scott's should be up there as well. His collection of scantily clad anime figurines is truly a sight not to be seen.
  • sluggosluggo Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2009
    Back to the topic at hand. Does anyone have any questions for the Monkey team?

btw: I'm looking down at the "post icons" option and noticed that we desperately need some Monkey Island icons!!! I'll see what I can do to correct that oversight.
  • edited June 2009
    sluggo wrote: »
    Hmm, I think that all of the good questions have been asked already.

How about... Will any puzzles contain alternate solutions? Sometimes, it feels like we are at the whim of a maniacal game designer. I get that sensation as I am replaying through the first four Monkey Island games, anyway.

Not that challenging puzzles are a bad thing, mind you. I hope that there are some real brain teasers in Tales of Monkey Island. Most of the Telltale games thus far have been relatively easy.
  • edited June 2009

btw: I'm looking down at the "post icons" option and noticed that we desperately need some Monkey Island icons!!! I'll see what I can do to correct that oversight.
    We also don't have icons for Wallace and Gromit or Strong Bad!

SO! Question time!

When making a game like Monkey Island, the schedule must be fairly intensely followed. What's different about the process of making an episodic game like Tales rather than a "full" game?

What gets made first, second, etc?
  • edited June 2009
    mhaley wrote: »
    Hmm, I think that all of the good questions have been asked already.

How about... Will any puzzles contain alternate solutions? Sometimes, it feels like we are at the whim of a maniacal game designer. I get that sensation as I am playing through the first four games, anyway.

Not that challenging puzzles are a bad thing, mind you. I hope that there are some real brain teasers in TMI. Most of the Telltale games thus far have been relatively easy.

I'm still stuck on Fright Of The Bumblebees. Perhaps I just don't have a head for puzzles. Now the monkey wrench puzzle in MI2 I figured out....somewhat fast for some reason. O_O

The only adventure game I don't recall getting stuck in was Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars.
  • edited June 2009
    Will wrote: »
    It's a different kind of nerdy, but I think Scott's should be up there as well. His collection of scantily clad anime figurines is truly a sight not to be seen.

Which is why they are prominently displayed in "Behind the Bad"? Right.

Here's a question for the team: How awesome is the game going to be? Really awesome or just awesome?

Seriously though, as regards puzzle and story, how interconnected will the puzzles be episode to episode? In W&G it seemed like you were using the puzzles as story devices a little more; like an early simple puzzle would be built upon into a more complicated puzzle at the end of the episode. I found that really interesting, and I was wondering if you were going to try something similar across episodes in ToMI?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Seriously though, as regards puzzle and story, how interconnected will the puzzles be episode to episode? In W&G it seemed like you were using the puzzles as story devices a little more; like an early simple puzzle would be built upon into a more complicated puzzle at the end of the episode. I found that really interesting, and I was wondering if you were going to try something similar across episodes in ToMI?

I wouldn't be too surprised to see it cropping up from time to time. I know I've heard ideas thrown around in design meetings along those lines. It's a pretty great way to teach the player some mechanic without just hammering them over the head with verbal instructions. For me, I always feel like those are some of the most rewarding puzzles.

Edit: Also, I can't answer Dashing's question because I've pretty much only worked on episodic games. It makes for a pretty epicly long resume.
  • edited June 2009
    A question for the programmers really, what languages do you use? Is it all C++ or are different parts of a game written in a different language. Also what development environment(s) do you use?
  • edited June 2009
    I have a few questions :

1. What will the length of the episodes be? Will they be similar in length to a sam and max episode?
    2. Will there be any insult sword-fighting?
    3. Will the game contain any of the classic musical pieces from monkey island 1+2 ?

Thanks for bringing back monkey island.. Telltale, you rock.
    edited June 2009
    Will wrote: »

Someone's gotta stop living with their parents, man.
  • edited June 2009
    I wonder why I never noticed those Monkey Island 5¼-inch floppy disks before. I feel an odd sense of foreboding. Yes, that was a Sam & Max quote.
  • edited June 2009
    Heheh has a bit of a Man in the Box feeling to it :)
  • edited June 2009
    Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong spot but with the free episode code, does that expire, meaning do I have to get something from the current Telltale catalogue? Or can I wait till season 2 of TMI to get one of those ? :P
  • edited June 2009
    beforewebegin.jpg
    do the math

Really, i only got crappy-non-important questions like:
    Ignatius wrote: »
    Is "Tales.." gonna have its own excerpt "from the memoirs of Guybrush Threepwood: The Monkey Island Years"?
  • edited June 2009
    I am just reposting a few of my old questions here. I have sorted them from least to most silly. That multi-quote function comes in quite handy.

Not the Least Bit Silly
    While preparing for Tales of Monkey Island, how many times did the team play through the first four games?

Barely Silly at All
    I don't know whether or not it has already been asked, but will there be an option in the menu for walking speed? If not, what about a run button? For example, Sam & Max Season Two had a 'double-click to run' feature. I am aware that the Tales of Monkey Island control scheme is not finalized yet, though. Some people may gawk at a run feature, but it would be there for those that want it, and everyone else could just ignore it.

Not Very Silly
    Given the fact that Telltale holds the publishing rights to Sam & Max, and that they have appeared as cameos in past Monkey Island games, can we expect to see them in some shape or form in Tales of Monkey Island? I do not expect them to appear in the flesh, but possibly through cave drawings, idols, mugs, or what have you.

Slightly Silly
    Will there be a musical number in TMI? Curse of Monkey Island had 'A Pirate I Was Meant to Be,' and many of the Sam & Max episodes had one, as well.

Quite Silly
    Given the, shall we say, less than positive response to the 3D visuals by some of the more hardcore fans, have you considered tossing in a bogus "2D Acceleration" option in the menu? After all, Curse of Monkey Island had a bogus "3D Acceleration" option.

Very Silly
    I am not sure whether or not it has already been asked, but will Guybrush acquire a 'rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle' at some point in his TMI adventure?
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2009
    While preparing for Tales of Monkey Island, how many times did the team play through the first four games?

A lot of us re-played through at least 2 of them (For me it was 2 & 3). But given our lack of free time to do these thing, many of us watched playthroughs of all 4 games (In my case several times). In fact, I still have them regularly playing on my 2nd monitor when Im working, just to keep me in that Monkep frame of mind!
    I don't know whether or not it has already been asked, but will there be an option in the menu for walking speed? If not, what about a run button?
    Probably nothing in the menu, but I'm pretty sure there will be some kind of Run feature available in the final release.
    Given the fact that Telltale holds the publishing rights to Sam & Max, and that they have appeared as cameos in past Monkey Island games, can we expect to see them in some shape or form in Tales of Monkey Island?
    I dunno... Better check all of those cave drawings, tiki idols and mysterious runes throughout the season. Ya never know...

Will there be a musical number in TMI? Curse of Monkey Island had 'A Pirate I Was Meant to Be,' and many of the Sam & Max episodes had one, as well.
    Anything is possible, but as of right now, we haven't written any.
    Given the, shall we say, less than positive response to the 3D visuals by some of the more hardcore fans, have you considered tossing in a bogus "2D Acceleration" option in the menu? After all, Curse of Monkey Island had a bogus "3D Acceleration" option.
    You'd think we'd learn not to do that when our Tech Support teams comes and beats us over the head with hammers for being flooded with calls about how "3D Acceleration doesn't work on my 2D game" or "Warp Speed doesn't make Sam's car go any faster". I think we've learned our lesson. I don't like Mr. Hammer.

(I don't mean "MC"... we're cool like that)

I am not sure whether or not it has already been asked, but will Guybrush acquire a 'rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle' at some point in his TMI adventure?

What possible use could that have!?
    I'm sure that you could think of something. :p

On that note, I hope to see at least one or two red herring items in the game. By that, I don't mean rotting fish, but items that have no apparent use. It wouldn't be Monkey Island without them.
  • edited June 2009
    *shudders at the memory of the skeleton arm*
  • edited June 2009
    Duate wrote: »
    *shudders at the memory of the skeleton arm*

What about the Phatt Wharf Library. All those books *holds knees and rocks back and forth* ALL THOSE BOOKS.

(Actually stuff like that is awesome. TT if you're reading this, make this puppy as frustrating and evil as you can, man!)
  • edited June 2009
    What about the Phatt Wharf Library. All those books *holds knees and rocks back and forth* ALL THOSE BOOKS.

(Actually stuff like that is awesome. TT if you're reading this, make this puppy as frustrating and evil as you can, man!)
    oh man the books

i saw the sheer number of books there and i thought "holy crap, this game just got a LOT harder"

but then it amounted to not much :P
  • edited June 2009
    How much involvement does Lucasarts have in this project? Do they have to approve the story?
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2009
    How much involvement does Lucasarts have in this project? Do they have to approve the story?

They mainly just make sure that we aren't completely destroying the franchise. They do have some level of approval though, for example if we decided to make "Guybrush & LeChuck team up as vice cops to take down Intergalactic Space Pirates!" ... they probably wouldn't have approved that.
  • edited June 2009
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    They mainly just make sure that we aren't completely destroying the franchise. They do have some level of approval though, for example if we decided to make "Guybrush & LeChuck team up as vice cops to take down Intergalactic Space Pirates!" ... they probably wouldn't have approved that.

Guybrush: You know this difference between you and me?
    Lechuck: :confused:
    Guybrush: I make this look good. :cool:
    Lechuck: :mad:
  • edited June 2009
    Ignatius wrote: »
    beforewebegin.jpg
    do the math:

• edited June 2009
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    What possible use could that have!?

Every time Guybrush gets stuck somewhere, and there's a chasm to the escape, or shark-infested waters, all he needs in a rope with a shooty thing on the front (what're they called? that's gonna drive me slowly insane for the rest of the day...) and a rubber chicken with a pully in the middle.

Would work on a cliff, a ship-battle, if he gets caught in-flagrante with someones wife and has to escape quickly.

Okay the last one isn't very likely, but still.
  • edited June 2009
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    all he needs in a rope with a shooty thing on the front (what're they called? that's gonna drive me slowly insane for the rest of the day...)

Grappling hook?
  • edited June 2009
    Frostbite wrote: »
    Grappling hook?

you just saved my sanity :)
  • edited June 2009
    Can you confirm that Guybrush and Elaine are married?

And also can anybody confirm me that American men don't wear engagement rings?

That weird conspiracy theory must be disproved :p

(sorry for double-post)
  • seanvanamanseanvanaman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    Can you confirm that Guybrush and Elaine are married?

And also can anybody confirm me that American men don't wear engagement rings?

That weird conspiracy theory must be disproved :p

(sorry for double-post)

As both an American and a writer on Monkey Island:

Elaine and Guybrush are married.

And American men do not wear engagement rings. On their fingers.
This discussion has been closed.