Q&A With the Team

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Will wrote: »
    I would say that our episodes tend to get better as you get further into the season (regardless of who is writing them. It's a case of finding our stride for a given season.). I personally am really really looking forward to episodes 4 and 5 of Monkey.

Yes I agree. Sam & Max started good, but got infinitely better.
  • seanvanamanseanvanaman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    I would say that our episodes tend to get better as you get further into the season (regardless of who is writing them. It's a case of finding our stride for a given season.). I personally am really really looking forward to episodes 4 and 5 of Monkey.

Geez Will, thanks. What's episode 3, chopped manatee?
  • edited June 2009
    ^ Lair of the Laviathan.
  • edited June 2009

You mean we get chopped manatee with our preorder too!? You guys rock!

But anyway I do have a question. Will the Private Pirates Forum be here after the pre-order deal ends and during the course of the season? Or will it be replaced by a similar exclusive forum, or will it just disappear?
  • edited June 2009
    All this talk about jokes leads me to something Dave Grossman said that I want to echo: there's going to be some serious stuff in TMI (as there always has been in MI). It's a story ABOUT something, and that means (for the writer) not always going for the gag. It can be easy to sell out your serious moment for a laugh and sometimes hard to resist.

We can't thank you enough for this. The wonderful blend of serious story line and comedy is what makes this series what so compelling.
  • edited June 2009
    You mean we get chopped manatee with our preorder too!? You guys rock!

But anyway I do have a question. Will the Private Pirates Forum be here after the pre-order deal ends and during the course of the season? Or will it be replaced by a similar exclusive forum, or will it just disappear?

Yaaaay! Chopped Manatee! :D ...wait, I wouldn't like that.
    Oh well, regarding your question... it has been answered before. The private forums will remain at least until the final episode of TMI. :)
  • edited June 2009
    And they easily created their own think tank that will gladly give them money in the process ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Oh, oh! Question! Question here!
    From what I understand, this is NOT MI5... can we, the fans, call it MI6, and then wait for a "5" from LucasArts?
  • edited June 2009

Lol. It's generally true that the last two episodes of a season (at least with Sam & Max) managed to improve on the previous ones... Not to say the previous ones were bad! Just that the final episodes seem to really hit "full" swing.

I guess it's a side-effect of Episodic Gaming... as if you were developing a big adventure you could go back and add the new "swingyness" to the earlier parts of the game before release.
  • edited June 2009
    I have a question regarding the voice-talent. I've noticed that both TTG and LA have picked CMI's Elaine as voice. TTG hasn't gone for Earl Boen as LeChuck, however, while I believe LA has.
    How free is TTG in voice-casting, etc? You guys have mentioned you have to OK the general plots with LA, is this the same with casting?
  • edited June 2009
    I've got a better question. WHO does the voice for LeChuck in ToMI?
  • edited June 2009
    Since I talked with Anna Karney and Peter McConnell already, is there a chance to have them plus Clint Bajakian working on the soundtrack of ToMI (maybe for season 2)? Because they all said, it was a great experience to work together with this team constellation (maybe with Larry the O) and it would be great to see and also hear them altogether.
  • edited June 2009
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    They mainly just make sure that we aren't completely destroying the franchise. They do have some level of approval though, for example if we decided to make "Guybrush & LeChuck team up as vice cops to take down Intergalactic Space Pirates!" ... they probably wouldn't have approved that.

Funny you should mention Space Pirates, the fan spin-off game I started a few years ago featured Skyrush Threepwood, a distant descendant of Guybrush some planet-hopping space pirate adventures!
  • edited June 2009
    This is so strange... before the announcement I was thinking it would be cool if LucasArts paid Autumn Moon and Telltale games to create Monkey Island 5 together. Some months later and you guys are working on it. It's almost like (half-a-)dream come true!
    So my question is: do you know if LucasArts approached Autumn Moon to help them craft Monkey 5?
    And I actually like the new designs for the main characters(Guybrush, Elaine, LeChuck, Voodoo), but the other piratey guys hanging around look... Horrible. But as long as the writing is good... And monkeys!

What happened to LeChuck's voice acting? (has it been answered before?)

Oh, and which 3D software do you use?

May I have a monkey please? Please?
  • edited June 2009
    Oh, oh! Question! Question here!
    From what I understand, this is NOT MI5... can we, the fans, call it MI6, and then wait for a "5" from LucasArts?

You can call this one TMI, and wait for some other acronym from LucasArts. ;) I see no reason why they wouldn't, if and when they make another full-length game, have it take place after Tales. Sure, there's a time jump between EMI and TMI, but I don't imagine the writers would want to have to squeeze their story into that gap, rather than place it comfortably into the open end of the timeline.
  • edited June 2009
    Ok hoping this hasn't been asked. ^^
    I understand TOMI has inventory combining, and I've said in another thread there were a few places in other Telltale games where I personally wanted to try combining inventory items ( So I'm happy). Why haven't other TTG done this before? Was it a concious decision to keep the interface simple? and why does TOMI now have it?
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2009
    Azure wrote: »
    Ok hoping this hasn't been asked. ^^
    I understand TOMI has inventory combining, and I've said in another thread there were a few places in other Telltale games where I personally wanted to try combining inventory items ( So I'm happy). Why haven't other TTG done this before? Was it a concious decision to keep the interface simple? and why does TOMI now have it?

Yes, we have in the past made a conscious decision NOT to combine inventory items. Often it leads to a lot of trial and error and sometimes frustration, and thats no fun. We wanted to streamline the experience and focus on different types of puzzles that might better integrate into the story.

But Inventory combination is one of those things that just feels right for Monkey Island. It was part of the original game experience that we wanted to recapture, so we decided to bring it back for this game.
  • edited June 2009
    how long will each episode be in comparision to other telltale games?
  • JoeJoeJoeJoe Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Oh, and which 3D software do you use?

Ah, a question I know the answer to! That would be Maya. Combined with a generous variety of in-house plugins.
  • edited June 2009
    JoeJoe wrote: »
    Ah, a question I know the answer to! That would be Maya. Combined with a generous variety of in-house plugins.

Sheesh! No one uses 3DSMax any more? I've just got to learn Maya then :|
    I know a lot of other studios use Maya as well. I think Epic use 3DS Max though...
    Thanks for answering my question :)
  • edited June 2009
    Any chance we can get the answers in this thread arranged nicely so I can read the answers without hunting through 14 pages?

You know like the "Questions for Dominic Armato!" thread does?

Thanks! Especially for bringing Monkey Island back :-D

EDIT: Nevermind I just read the whole thread! Took about 3 hours! But it was well worth it :-D
  • edited June 2009
    I wouldn't be too surprised to see it cropping up from time to time. I know I've heard ideas thrown around in design meetings along those lines. It's a pretty great way to teach the player some mechanic without just hammering them over the head with verbal instructions. For me, I always feel like those are some of the most rewarding puzzles.

Edit: Also, I can't answer Dashing's question because I've pretty much only worked on episodic games. It makes for a pretty epicly long resume.

I also like them because they help to set up expectations for the player. It lets you guys manipulate how we play by getting us to create associations specific for the game. I also liked how you created character specific puzzles in W&G, like the mad libs game with Winnie Gabberly. That puzzle wouldn't have worked with McBiscuit or Major Crum, and to solve the puzzle you had to have some sort of an idea of Mr. Gabberly's character as well. To see those two different ideas unite might make for some interesting story driven puzzles. Like, Guybrush is traveling with a short tempered pirate with a fear of heights. He refuses to jump from a height of three feet. Guybrush can mock him a little, but you make a ladder to solve the puzzle. Later, you have to get the pirate down a seven foot height. You've set up the ladder expectation, but there just aren't any ladder fixings about. Guybrush is getting frustrated, and so is the player. They start abusing the pirate who gets more and more upset until his anger gets the better of his fear and he jumps down to beat up Geekwood. It's a puzzle and a character moment at the same time.

Now for something completely different.

You know, if someone just looked at your resume and didn't know about Telltale's release schedule they'd probably think you were 107. (5 year production per game plus 22 years to let you have a college degree ...)
  • edited June 2009
    I hope it's okay, but I'm reposting a previous question since only Sean replied (thanks!), and I'm interested in seeing other responses.
    This is a question for everyone on the team: how did you first find out that Telltale/you would be working on a new Monkey Island, and how did you react?
  • edited June 2009
    I don't think that this one was ever answered either. I may have some new questions later. Oh, joy.
    mhaley wrote: »
    Will any puzzles contain alternate solutions? Sometimes, it feels like we are at the whim of a maniacal game designer. I get that sensation as I am replaying through the first four Monkey Island games, anyway.

Not that challenging puzzles are a bad thing, mind you. I hope that there are some real brain teasers in Tales of Monkey Island. Most of the Telltale games thus far have been relatively easy.
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Question: who on the design team has the nerdiest desk setup and, follow-up, what ridiculous nerd artifacts are displayed on it?
    I think we're overlooking Dennis here (Cinematic Artist Extraordinaire). Not including all of his classic Nintendo mini-figs, he has a 1/15th size Cloud Strife (20 articulating parts!) and paid an exorbitant amount for a limited run Street Fighter Anniversary panoramic poster which he painstakingly mounted to foam core.

And did I mention his Gold copy of NES Zelda that he has mounted in a wooden shadow box?

I think Dennis is the clear winner, based sheerly on calories burnt in pursuing nerdom.

But Dave's bizarre contraptions are out of this world. This forum needs photos of these things.
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Also, doesn't Mr. Grossman have some of his "inventions" on display in the art gallery section of http://www.phrenopolis.com?

The original question was directed specifically at the design team, otherwise Dennis and Scott certainly would have been mentioned earlier!

As for the Imaginary Technology "inventions," Lena_P is right: The Idea Siphon and the Actual Reality Projector both live in my work area and are doubtless the pieces to which Tulley was referring, and there are perfectly good pictures of them up at Phrenopolis already, in the Schwenck wing of the art gallery.
    edited June 2009
    Sometimes, it feels like we are at the whim of a maniacal game designer.

Which gives the games a certain sense of theology, don't you think?

(Actually, I'm more serious about that than I let on. While I don't want you to feel like your actions are being dictated, I do want you to feel the hand of the designer just a little bit, so that you sense the balance between free will and fate. The idea that some things are ordained by Fate lends a bit of weight and meaning to a story, and can be comforting in a certain way. Of course, that wasn't really what you were talking about, I just wanted to say it.)
  • edited June 2009
    Duate wrote: »
    Here's a question for ya. When I was first playing MI2, I kept thinking that Inky Island and Dinky Island and Drinky Island and whatever all the various names regarding the location of the treasure of big whoop sounded an awful lot like a misheard "Monkey Island"

WAS the island at the end of MI2 really Monkey Island?

Maybe this was explained in a later game, but it's escaping me right now, so maybe a fan could even answer this for me.
    Dave do you have any insight on this?
  • edited June 2009
    Dave do you have any insight on this?
    Dinky Island is a small atoll just off the coast of Monkey Island, and connected via a series of underground tunnels (as revealed by LeChuck at the end of Curse of Monkey Island).
  • edited June 2009
    Dinky Island is a small atoll just off the coast of Monkey Island, and connected via a series of underground tunnels (as revealed by LeChuck at the end of Curse of Monkey Island).
    cool thank you
  • edited June 2009
    cool thank you

It's almost as if Monkey Island is a planet and Dinky Island is a moon. Wait..

That's no moon...that's a space station....

(Hey Dave, quick question! Space pirate or jedi!)
  • edited June 2009
    The original question was directed specifically at the design team, otherwise Dennis and Scott certainly would have been mentioned earlier!

As for the Imaginary Technology "inventions," Lena_P is right: The Idea Siphon and the Actual Reality Projector both live in my work area and are doubtless the pieces to which Tulley was referring, and there are perfectly good pictures of them up at Phrenopolis already, in the Schwenck wing of the art gallery.
    It sounds like a wonderland of geeky fun, friendship and late-night-head-pounding-on-desk deadlines.
  • edited June 2009
    Will the DVD at the end of the season include any special features?
  • edited June 2009
    kenwoods wrote: »
    Will the DVD at the end of the season include any special features?
    Telltale ALWAYS includes special features on their DVDs.
  • edited June 2009
    Do you guys ever ask yourself "What would Tim Schafer write/do?"
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2009
    RockNRoll wrote: »

Actually, I do. I love the way Schafer was able "simulate" action in an adventure game, and I totally admire the way he brings emotional moments to the story. I often find myself reflecting upon these things when designing.
  • edited June 2009
    Telltale ALWAYS includes special features on their DVDs.

International shipping, right? I couldn't really find the answer anywhere else...

I'll lay off the greetings and thanks to TellTale for now, you guys must be sick of em by now :D

So here's my question - Did you have to restrict yourself with the story because it is based after Monkey Island 5?
  • edited June 2009
    Damm...too many pages to read before asking a question... sorry if this has already been asked...

So, if you guys already know that MI5 would take a whole epic game of 40 hours, do you already have the story designed, is any company working on that?

I mean, the story of TMI I heard so far doesn't show any plot details that will lead me to scream "WHAT, WHEN DID THAT HAPPEND!!??"... Guybrush is in trouble, Elaine is still married to Guybrush, LeChuckn is there... pretty standard opening... Will there be any plot holes in TMI that will only be answered on the hyphotetical future MI5 game?
    edited June 2009
    RockNRoll wrote: »

Whenever there's a moment that calls for someone to whip out a witty one-liner put-down, I try to imagine Tim writing it. He was always the sharpest at those.
    edited June 2009
    (Hey Dave, quick question! Space pirate or jedi!)

Pft! I defeat both of them easily using only my left big toe, stuff them, and use them for hat racks.
  • edited June 2009
    Dave, what are the odds of hearing about a Maniac Mansion sequel on the next E3? :-)
This discussion has been closed.