Comments

• edited July 2009
    Radogol wrote: »
    Oh, I almost forgot Guybrush:

atnjb6.png

His Guybrush looks a little like my Tales one :O I love it! XD
  • edited July 2009
    I guess this counts as fanart.

I was messing around in Photoshop retracing the Guybrush sprite from Monkey 2 at a higher resolution for some reason which I can't actually remember now.

guybrush2se.png

There's another version I coloured in, rather than just leaving the original image faded out in the background, but it came out a bit abysmal.
  • edited July 2009
    Scapetti wrote: »
    His Guybrush looks a little like my Tales one :O I love it! XD

Maybe you should try to do an original design of the Monkey Island cast as well? I'd love to see it.
  • edited July 2009
    Here's a poster from an ex-fangame project called Picaroon - The Lost Years, of which I'm the concept artist and secondary writer. Not really a advertisement or anything. I didn't make this poster; I just thought it would be a fun thing to post. :)

The art credit goes to Daniel "Zyndicate" Thomas for the design and artwork on it. He's really an amazing artist.

Poster_Part_1.png
  • edited July 2009
    SMI LeChuck in CMI style.
    dxlf2f.png
  • edited July 2009
    dxlf2f.png

what did you draw this on?
  • edited July 2009
    I like it.
  • edited July 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »
    It looks to me like he edited the CMI sprite, nice work nonetheless though.

How exactly would you do this? Program?
  • edited July 2009
    prizna wrote: »
    How exactly would you do this? Program?

I changed my mind upon further review of the CMI sprite, but his is really close in style to it which is why I had initially thought it was an edit, heh.

I would guess he did it in something like Photoshop though.
  • edited July 2009
    I changed my mind upon further review of the CMI sprite, but his is really close in style to it which is why I had initially thought it was an edit, heh.

I would guess he did it in something like Photoshop though.

I wish i had photoshop:(
  • edited July 2009
    what did you draw this on?

Toon Boom
  • edited July 2009
    Toon Boom

thanks
  • edited July 2009
    If i wanted to make some good drawings like these what would be the best program to use?, i dont want to hand draw.
  • edited July 2009
    dxlf2f.png
    Drawings like this make me wish that LA should have made the SoMI:SE in the CoMI stile....

edit: it seems to me that you actualy used the SE Lechuck as a reference, did ya? you got the Beard and the rips, witch no version of the Ghost Pirate Lechuck had bevor
  • edited July 2009
    Here's a poster from an ex-fangame project called Picaroon - The Lost Years, of which I'm the concept artist and secondary writer. Not really a advertisement or anything. I didn't make this poster; I just thought it would be a fun thing to post. :)

The art credit goes to Daniel "Zyndicate" Thomas for the design and artwork on it. He's really an amazing artist.

What do you mean by "ex-fangame"? That the game isn't a fangame anymore or that the game isn't going to be finished? I was waiting for this for a looong time (it was "Monkey Island: Lost years" back there).
  • edited July 2009
    Novotnus wrote: »
    What do you mean by "ex-fangame"? That the game isn't a fangame anymore or that the game isn't going to be finished? I was waiting for this for a looong time (it was "Monkey Island: Lost years" back there).

It's no longer in the world/universe of Monkey Island, so no longer a fangame. Copyrights and all that.
  • edited July 2009
    Still seems pretty Monkey Island-ish : ) Previous design of the character was more like Guybrush - like, but the present one is still nice.
  • edited July 2009
    Radogol wrote: »
    Maybe you should try to do an original design of the Monkey Island cast as well? I'd love to see it.

Not only can I not be bothered to do the whole cast XD but I just don't think I would do it justice. I wouldn't like to make my own Guybrush because it just wouldn't be Guybrush if I did...

If someone gave me a drawing as reference I probably would be able to make it retro style but I don't think I could just make one from scratch. I'm not a pixel artist D: I'm just a drifter, a nobody...
  • edited July 2009
    Does anyone know what AdoC uses to draw his fanart?, like the shopkeeper by the scumm bar.
  • edited July 2009
    Scapetti wrote: »
    I'm just a drifter, a nobody...

Don't forget 'a would-be pirate'!

And I'm sure someone would notice / care if you drowned.
  • edited July 2009
    And I'm sure someone would notice / care if you drowned.

• edited July 2009
    guybrushthreepwood.png
  • edited July 2009
    BEHOLD !

TRUE GRAPHIC GENIUS !

cowa.png

Sorry :D
  • edited July 2009
    If i wanted to make some good drawings like these what would be the best program to use?, i dont want to hand draw.

you still have to be able to draw using photoshop it doesnt make you instantly awesome or anything....
  • edited July 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    you still have to be able to draw using photoshop it doesnt make you instantly awesome or anything....

yea i know but i mean what would be the best that uses, anchor points and that sort of thing, like in photoshop is there any other good ones?
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited July 2009
    yea i know but i mean what would be the best that uses, anchor points and that sort of thing, like in photoshop is there any other good ones?

If you'd like to make good drawings, you will have to learn how to draw. This law is inescapable. Photoshop is the standard in the industry and widely used for its nifty effects, nonetheless, Painter is used by lots of artists. But with this program, you'll have even more problems if you're not familiar with drawing in the first place (as this program aims at simulating traditional painting materials). As for freeware, you could of course give GIMP a try. I've seen some marvellous pieces done with it.

Most of the really good digital pieces in this thread probably started out with a traditional pencil sketch on paper, which was then scanned and colored on the computer. And the skill of these artists would definitly be recognisable from those sketches. There are few who wouldn't sketch in a traditional manner first (my wild guesses would be Majus, our Wacom/Flash legend; Duate, who avoids outlines right away; and AdoC, who has an element of improvisation even in his most impressive pieces).

More thoughts on this?
  • edited July 2009
    If you'd like to make good drawings, you will have to learn how to draw. This law is inescapable. Photoshop is the standard in the industry and widely used for its nifty effects, nonetheless, Painter is used by lots of artists. But with this program, you'll have even more problems if you're not familiar with drawing in the first place (as this program aims at simulating traditional painting materials). As for freeware, you could of course give GIMP a try. I've seen some marvellous pieces done with it.

Most of the really good digital pieces in this thread probably started out with a traditional pencil sketch on paper, which was then scanned and colored on the computer. And the skill of these artists would definitly be recognisable from those sketches. There are few who wouldn't sketch in a traditional manner first (my wild guesses would be Majus, our Wacom/Flash legend; Duate, who avoids outlines right away; and AdoC, who has an element of improvisation even in his most impressive pieces).

More thoughts on this?

thanks
  • edited July 2009
    BEHOLD !

TRUE GRAPHIC GENIUS !

cowa.png

Sorry :D

That. Is. GENIUS.

:D

It even beats my Stan serious art from a while back.

Well I recently dug up all my MI fanart from a year ago, and will scan and upload it shortly.

Also, not-really-fanart-as-such, and I know I'm not the first to do this, but I made some Monkey Island characters in The Sims 3. I've been making a whole lot of adventure game characters on there lately. XD

You can see/download them from here if ya like:

Guybrush Threepwood

Elaine Marley

LeChuck... sorta XD
  • edited July 2009
    Hey guys!
    Here are some old drawings I did when I was 13 (CoMI was just released, Yay :D I was so happy, I feel the same now with ToMI).
    I guess I wanted to see what the covers would look like in CoMI style. :)
    OMG I can't believe I translated the title, it looks awful in French!:eek:
    I'm happy I found them, I thought they were lost forever.
    I couln't scan them now so these are just bad photos, but I should try to scan them later then.

mi1postersmall.jpg

mi2postersmall.jpg

Edit: Woops! Updated links
  • edited July 2009
    Attachment not found.

My monkey theme art... if you want to call it that.
  • edited July 2009
    Hey guys!
    Here are some old drawings I did when I was 13 (CoMI was just released, Yay I was so happy, I feel the same now with ToMI).
    I guess I wanted to see what the covers would look like in CoMI style.
    OMG I can't believe I translated the title, it looks awful in French!
    I'm happy I found them, I thought they were lost forever.
    I couln't scan them now so these are just bad photos, but I should try to scan them later then.

Well, either you deleted it or forgot to post them or i'm just dumb, but your drawings ain't appearing...

Which sucks hard, because reading you really made me look forward to seeing this La malédiction de l'île aux singes cover art :D
  • edited July 2009
    Guybrush's great sprite by Monkey Mania

screen001fct.jpg
  • edited July 2009
    Guybrush's great sprite by Monkey Mania

screen001fct.jpg

That should say "mysterious looking" instead of "mysteriously-looking"
  • edited July 2009
    probably... consider this as a bad translated version
  • edited July 2009
    That should say "mysterious looking" instead of "mysteriously-looking"

"Mysterious-looking." You'd want to keep the hyphen, since it needs to be one word.
  • edited July 2009
    picture.php?albumid=276&pictureid=1749

Wanted to do D'oro, but this guy ended up looking more like me.
  • edited July 2009
    Well, either you deleted it or forgot to post them or i'm just dumb, but your drawings ain't appearing...

Which sucks hard, because reading you really made me look forward to seeing this La malédiction de l'île aux singes cover art :D

I updated the links to the pictures (http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=172624&postcount=670), I hope this works now.
    Sorry Astro Gnocci, I don't remember why but I didn't draw "La malédiction de L'Île aux Singes" cover art.:o It was only MI1 and MI2 redrawn covers.
  • edited July 2009
    Yep, i had misread you, sorry.
    Cool pics :)

And malédiction or not, reading "l'île aux singes" always made me cringe a bit, even when playing the translated games ;)
  • edited July 2009
    Maybe everyone here will interrested by this : http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10965

It's a fan-art contest with t-shirt of Monkey Island ;)
  • edited July 2009
    Astro, I'm sorry, but your drawing is adorable. I call 'em like they is. Grulien, that is pretty dang good for 13, and Mr. Van Helgen, did you draw that background?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.