The Legendary Monkey Island FanArt

Comments

• edited September 2009
    This isn't strictly fan art related, but its art related.

Does anyone know of any high-res versions of Elaine concept art for Tales of Monkey Island? Like a complete version of the one on the main page at the moment? I had a quick trawl through the Private Pirate Club, but didn't find anything up to the point IE crashed because it doesn't like the TTG VIP sub-site.
  • edited September 2009
    S@bre wrote: »
    This isn't strictly fan art related, but its art related.

Does anyone know of any high-res versions of Elaine concept art for Tales of Monkey Island? Like a complete version of the one on the main page at the moment? I had a quick trawl through the Private Pirate Club, but didn't find anything up to the point IE crashed because it doesn't like the TTG VIP sub-site.

Firefox could help with that ;)
  • edited September 2009
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/39059558@N05/3942154530/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/39059558@N05/3942154512/

Again not Monkey Island art, working up to Elaine or Guybrush protraits. I'm not an artist, I'm a graphic designer, just thought I'd share again.
  • edited September 2009
    doodo! wrote: »
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/39059558@N05/3942154530/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/39059558@N05/3942154512/

Again not Monkey Island art, working up to Elaine or Guybrush protraits. I'm not an artist, I'm a graphic designer, just thought I'd share again.

Only you can see those, I think
  • edited September 2009
    I fixed it, thanks for making a comment on the first sketch by the way. That first one was actaully supposed to be Megan Fox. If only I had a
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/39059558@N05/3939124445/
    The last ones posted should work, I mean previously. I didn't repost the links in this post, but they should work now. If only I had a scanner.
  • edited September 2009
    I fixed it, thanks for making a comment on the first sketch by the way. That first one was actaully supposed to be Megan Fox. If only I had a
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/39059558@N05/3939124445/
    The last ones posted should work, I mean previously.

Looks ok as it is with the cam, man :). These two do look like Natalie Portman.
  • edited September 2009
    The one in post 1,048 is private too
  • edited September 2009
    LOL! I think it's fixed, now...Thanks for the comments, it does personally mean a lot to me. I'm not the best at giving coherent insights into others art work but I know it means alot to me personally to get a comment. Have a nice day and thank you for looking. I think I'll draw a Indiana Jones meets Monkey Island poster.
  • edited September 2009
    Is the rest of his art as awesome as this?

Yeah but he mostly does children's book illustrations, as mentioned above, like A Series of Unfortunate Events. I think he has much much more potential with the style he has.
  • edited September 2009
    LOL! I think it's fixed, now...Thanks for the comments, it does personally mean a lot to me. I'm not the best at giving coherent insights into others art work but I know it means alot to me personally to get a comment. Have a nice day and thank you for looking. I think I'll draw a Indiana Jones meets Monkey Island poster.

I still can't see it, which is a shame (because you CAN draw)
  • edited September 2009
    Here are a couple of Guybrush pictures I did. As you can see, I used no reference, but I think they came out pretty good. Both of these MAY contain spoilers.
    Yeah, I'll try and get some REAL art up soon. ^.^
    http://dragonfangirl.deviantart.com/art/Sketch-dump-5-137707525
    http://dragonfangirl.deviantart.com/art/Cookie-137705862
  • edited September 2009
    But that is amazing! I love how you drew Elaine... maybe you could colour it in? :D
    Why, thank you! :) I'm quite content with Elaine myself, it was Guybrush that came out rather ugly. Yeah, maybe I'll color it some day, once I figure out how to improve Guybrush, and of course, I'll need time and muse to do it.
    That is not a very ugly sketch. That is not even a remotely ugly sketch.
    Thank you! That's the second biggest compliment I've ever received! :D
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    Guybrush and Elaine look Australian, though
    I never even knew people could look Australian...? :confused: Or cartoon / video game characters for that matter.

@doodo!: Nice portraits! I look forward to seeing your portraits of Guybrush and Elaine soon! :)
    Maxilyah wrote: »
    Here are a couple of Guybrush pictures I did. As you can see, I used no reference, but I think they came out pretty good. Both of these MAY contain spoilers.
    Yeah, I'll try and get some REAL art up soon. ^.^
    http://dragonfangirl.deviantart.com/art/Sketch-dump-5-137707525
    http://dragonfangirl.deviantart.com/art/Cookie-137705862
    Those are cute, yet kinda... too manga. :p But I like the concepts, keep it up! ;)
  • edited September 2009
    Danke!

LOL interesting stuff Maxy, I like it, sort of trippy, very imaginative.
  • edited September 2009
    No. If someone else has praised something I like already, I don't feel the need to comment unless I have something new to contribute.

You should artists are like puppies they aim to please if someone likes their stuff they want to hear it... artists share their stuff to please others or we wouldn't bother doing art for free on fan sites....

But there is a place for constructive criticism too... I personally do not like ragging on peoples skill level because that isn't fair... but lets say someone makes Guybrush's coat green its ok to say "hey I'm pretty sure GB has always worn blue coats."

But skill level takes practice some art here I have seen and thought yuck but you know what at least they are sharing and getting some tips and not giving up.... and I'm sure some people with more skills than I have thought the same about my art.
  • edited September 2009
    I couldn’t resist. :D

After the end of Episode 2 and the third “I wonder what happens” I’ve felt the urge to draw some fan art!

tomi_whatsthat.jpg

In this sketch, Guybrush, Morgan and Winslow are looking at something inside the giant manatee…
  • edited September 2009
    EllisonPav wrote: »
    In this sketch, Guybrush, Morgan and Winslow are looking at something inside the giant manatee…
    Is it meaty and dangerous? :D

Awesome sketch though...I like that a lot :)
  • edited September 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    You should artists are like puppies they aim to please if someone likes their stuff they want to hear it... artists share their stuff to please others or we wouldn't bother doing art for free on fan sites....

But there is a place for constructive criticism too... I personally do not like ragging on peoples skill level because that isn't fair... but lets say someone makes Guybrush's coat green its ok to say "hey I'm pretty sure GB has always worn blue coats."

But skill level takes practice some art here I have seen and thought yuck but you know what at least they are sharing and getting some tips and not giving up.... and I'm sure some people with more skills than I have thought the same about my art.

In that case...

I've enjoyed almost all of the drawings and art styles in this thread!
  • edited September 2009
    yes it is... maybe it's a... huge uvula? :D
  • edited September 2009

After the end of Episode 2 and the third “I wonder what happens” I’ve felt the urge to draw some fan art!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/ellisonpav/tomi_whatsthat.jpg

I like the conversion you've done to old 20th century B&W film style. It's turned out really well.
  • edited September 2009
    bravo EllisonPav I like it bunches
  • edited September 2009

tomi_whatsthat.jpg

Man, that is brilliant! You deserve a free episode coupon!
  • edited September 2009

tomi_whatsthat.jpg

that's wonderful :)
  • edited September 2009
    quick paint sketch ~30 minutes

i was thinking about what if the pox ends up taking over guybrush completely and since he was the first to get it, it turns him totally evil and HE becomes the villain

evilguybrush.jpg

we'd probably have to help lechuck solve the puzzles on how to beat evil guybrush lol
  • edited September 2009
    ^ This is brilliant.
    Also, that'd be like a parallel universe or whatever it is they're calling those things nowadays.
    And Ellison, I really like yours too. Guybrush's expression is priceless.
  • edited September 2009
    Thank you all for your comments! :D
    Duate, your sketch is great! I really like the lighting.
    And about the game, I think we'll going to see an evil Guybrush like that sooner or later...
  • edited September 2009
    This is really great Ellison :eek:

And duate, i don't like your idea, but the pic itself is still gorgeous ;)
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »

I'm sure that doesn't quite hit the mark. Artists are... well, artists; what they draw always has their personal vision, and that means that, of course, there is an alienation from the original game art. For some, the goal might be to mimic the original games as closely as possible - that's OK. But if I wanted to draw Guybrush with a green coat, I'd do it. Others have given him a moustache, imagined him as a heroic, muscular figure; I particularly recall an Elaine vision in this thread which is just brilliant, although one wouldn't recognize Elaine because of the alterations. Doing this, reimagining the characters, is not only "OK", but very, very necessary in a lively artist community.

Constructive criticism is not criticism of the personalizations of a piece of art. It might center on technique, maybe on anatomy, picture composition and color schemes etc. Of course, that is exactly what you did not want: This is a critique that exclusively centers on the "skill level" of a certain artist. These tips and hints, however, are all more or less pro stuff and should be explicitly wished for by the artist. Apart from this, I consider this thread to be one of purely presentational nature.

Furthermore, expressed criticism, however constructive it may be, always stems from the feeling that one could certainly do better in certain aspects. It must always be kept in mind that this is always a perspective looking down on something, of superiority. I won't say that constructive criticism hasn't got a place in here, particularly if the art poster expresses the wish to improve, but... careful, careful, careful. People come here to contribute to something, and the main goal is enjoyment by all involved.
  • edited September 2009
    I'm sure that doesn't quite hit the mark. Artists are... well, artists; what they draw always has their personal vision, and that means that, of course, there is an alienation from the original game art. For some, the goal might be to mimic the original games as closely as possible - that's OK. But if I wanted to draw Guybrush with a green coat, I'd do it. Others have given him a moustache, imagined him as a heroic, muscular figure; I particularly recall an Elaine vision in this thread which is just brilliant, although one wouldn't recognize Elaine because of the alterations. Doing this, reimagining the characters, is not only "OK", but very, very necessary in a lively artist community.

Constructive criticism is not criticism of the personalizations of a piece of art. It might center on technique, maybe on anatomy, picture composition and color schemes etc. Of course, that is exactly what you did not want: This is a critique that exclusively centers on the "skill level" of a certain artist. These tips and hints, however, are all more or less pro stuff and should be explicitly wished for by the artist. Apart from this, I consider this thread to be one of purely presentational nature.

Furthermore, expressed criticism, however constructive it may be, always stems from the feeling that one could certainly do better in certain aspects. It must always be kept in mind that this is always a perspective looking down on something, of superiority. I won't say that constructive criticism hasn't got a place in here, particularly if the art poster expresses the wish to improve, but... careful, careful, careful. People come here to contribute to something, and the main goal is enjoyment by all involved.

Well, you suck ! :eek:
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2009
    You didn't read my post, did you?
  • edited September 2009
    I'm an artist at heart but I have a weak disciplinarity for art .
  • edited September 2009

... :)
  • edited September 2009
    I just used the green coat as an example.... of course I welcome interpretations... Heck I have taken plenty of artistic liberties in my art.
  • edited September 2009
    tomi_whatsthat.jpg

I have to say, this is certainly a strong favorite of mine in this thread, its simply captures the characters perfectly. I'd love to see a coloured version of this.
  • edited September 2009
    S@bre wrote: »
    I have to say, this is certainly a strong favorite of mine in this thread, its simply captures the characters perfectly. I'd love to see a coloured version of this.

Colour would look good but it would eliminate the 50s/60s B&W film style (which I rather like)
  • edited September 2009
    You didn't read my post, did you?

I did, but reading about criticism (constructive or not) made me want to make some.
    Just tried to be funny, and yeah it was pretty irrelevant, but no offense was meant ;)
  • edited September 2009
    I did, but reading about criticism (constructive or not) made me want to make some.
    Just tried to be funny, and yeah it was pretty irrelevant, but no offense was meant ;)

It would have been more intelligent for the reason for sucking to be for the contradiction.

"Artists should get constructive criticism about their work"

"But don't do it because it might upset them and they won't post any more of their artwork"

:P
  • edited September 2009
    It would have been more intelligent for the reason for sucking to be for the contradiction.

"Artists should get constructive criticism about their work"

"But don't do it because it might upset them and they won't post any more of their artwork"

LOL how did this thread become so hostile? I haven't been following it so I won't butt in too much but I love it when people tell me my work is COMPLETE GARBAGE, no really...because then I become obsessed to make it better in both of our eyes. I love my work too much to tear apart all by myself, I usually need some one else to tell me they hate it for me to try to make something for more ideal for us, just for the sake of sharing something. I still love my own art work, even if it looks flawed to others and I think every artist should love his/her art work even if it looks horrid to others. After all the artist has to be the creator and capture the spirits of others figuratively by asserting his own. I've always loved my work even when I knew it was mediocre but I never stop trying to improve upon it when people told me it was *BEEP*
  • edited September 2009
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/39059558@N05/3950902328/

Disclaimer comes with link, ha...I'm new to design, I know alot of artists here are EXPERIENCED TO THE BALLS so please don't be too judgemental.
  • edited September 2009
    I agree with you doodo, I do the same thing. :)
    I've done an exam this morning: the professor didn't like more than half of my paintings. This may hurts, but in the end, his criticism has been very constructive.
    So, don't be afraid to show your work. Share what you love doing: drawing. ;)

TOMI__Happy_Guybrush_by_EllisonPav.jpg TOMI__Morgan_LeFlay_by_EllisonPav.jpg

Guybrush is happy to see you :D
  • edited September 2009
    Criticism is fine as long as it is constructive, respectful and not bashing. It makes you get better. The problem with art is that many people may be critic about it without respecting its creator's feelings and without the intention of positive enhancement, but I guess it's a part of life as many great creator were bashed on their early careers.

It's better to become more able to tell good criticism from bad one and to become more resistant to bad ones and simply ignore them, not just in art, but in life in general.

Anyway it's great to see so many talents here and those that still don't develop them fully, is great that they feel the confidence and will to share their works and are having fun in the process.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.