The Legendary Monkey Island FanArt

Comments

• edited October 2009
    there's about 5 mistakes in the pic i've noticed since i posted it, but the eye thing was definitely intentional and will not get "fixed" :D
  • edited October 2009
    LOL, I guess it is damn near perfect then. :)
  • edited October 2009
    Its been a while since I have done anything in the Art thread.. I was thinking about painting a Morgan painting but everyone seems to be doing that lately so I made this Murray piece.... comments welcomed.

I used the Murray model from Tales and a picture of a human adult male's skull for reference if anyone wanted to know.... I of course leaned more towards the TTG skull obviously.

Murray_by_Irishmile.jpg
  • edited October 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Its been a while since I have done anything in the Art thread.. I was thinking about painting a Morgan painting but everyone seems to be doing that lately so I made this Murray piece.... comments welcomed.

Murray_by_Irishmile.jpg

Is that a birthday card to mock someone in their old age?:p
  • edited October 2009
    doodo! wrote: »
    Is that a birthday card to mock someone in their old age?:p

If it were, I'd buy twenty.
  • edited October 2009
    I would laugh... I turn 30 in about one year.
  • edited October 2009
    Murray_by_Irishmilemodded.jpg

Fixed! :D

But seriously, fantastic artwork! A definite strong likeness. I like the humour, too.
  • edited October 2009
    960x.jpg

This artwork was made by a journalist from one of our norwegian newspapers for an article about comedy in the gaming genre.
  • edited October 2009
    awesome
  • edited October 2009
    As everybody seems to be doing Morgan I thought I'd have a go...

Morgan.jpg

Morgan as she might appear in Monkey Island 2... retro style! I love making pixel art sprites - it's great fun only having tiny squres to work with and the limitations that entails, especially when trying to construct a convincing facial likeness.

I might try an animated version of her soon too.

Made using good ol' MS Paint.
  • edited October 2009

Morgan.jpg

Morgan as she might appear in Monkey Island 2... retro style! I love making pixel art sprites - it's great fun only having tiny squres to work with and the limitations that entails, especially when trying to construct a convincing facial likeness.

I might try an animated version of her soon too.

Made using good ol' MS Paint.

1992_Sophia_Hapgood.jpg

You over did it in my opinion. You should download a program called LucasRipper, you can use it to edit sprites and view sprites from Lucas ARts games in your photoshop programs, it helped me make sprites when I used to do it.

characters.gif

Others may love it but it doesn't look right to me. :)

http://amphomepage.com/temp/lee/Guybrush-Animation-Sprites.jpg

I finally put my finger on your number one problem, that is atleast in my eyes...it's no where smooth enough even for a sprite, it looks blurred. It's not as easy as you might assume but I can tell you catch on fast. You need more solids for one thing. It's a mastery of tones and solids and defintion with careful and sleek design, too many blocks and it looks like....a big mess. Could just be me but I don't think you've mastered it yet but it's a good start in my eyes, could be perfect to someone else...
  • edited October 2009
    OCKi wrote: »
    960x.jpg

This artwork was made by a journalist from one of our norwegian newspapers for an article about comedy in the gaming genre.

This made me laugh pretty hard. Absolutely awesome.
  • edited October 2009
    What happens to Murray after episode 3? LONG LIVE TREASURE CRAB!!!!

Murray__s_fate_monkey_island_by_Irishmile.jpg
  • edited October 2009
    hahaha rad
  • edited October 2009
    What happens to Murray after episode 3? LONG LIVE TREASURE CRAB!!!!

Murray__s_fate_monkey_island_by_Irishmile.jpg

Awesome in deed. Are you self taught by an chance?

Great work! :D
  • edited October 2009
    I took art classes in highschool.. I think my stuff is passable but anyone with proper art-school education probably laugh at my artistic endeavors
  • edited October 2009
    I took art classes in highschool.. I think my stuff is passable but anyone with proper art-school education probably laugh at my artistic endeavors

Your work is awesome I just have an eye for those things. :D I think you did a terrific job. Personally I love it, I just could tell...it's not a bad thing, it's just something I do.

Your work is very strong and I can tell you've been self taught. I can do that some times just look at an art work and know things about the artist but it's by no means a slam to you ,I love it.
  • edited October 2009
    This is kind of late, but Ellison Pav also had some excellent Grim Fandango drawings. I could post them here but I doubt she'd approve. Here.

I've always loved your creature designs, Pav! Weird but very interesting!
  • edited October 2009
    Seems like a lot (if not all) of the artists on here have a Deviant Art.
    I love it. XD
  • edited October 2009

Morgan.jpg

That's really cool, I'd love to see other characters done with fewer pixels just like in MI1 & 2! I wouldn't mind seeing that shoulderpad stick out one more pixel though.
  • edited October 2009
    yoshiwam wrote: »
    here's Stan looking sharp and looking smooth! xD
    got to love his aliasing jacket <3
    stanfinished.jpg

This deserves some kudos. Great interpretation.
  • edited October 2009
    i was educated in art, but i still think your art is great. you have talent! :)
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2009
    Duate wrote: »
    i was educated in art.........

It really shows. I wish I was! :(
  • edited October 2009
    Duate wrote: »
    i was educated in art, but i still think your art is great. you have talent! :)

I agree, some people don't learn much in an art education, take me for example :p I could really benefit from self teaching.
  • edited October 2009
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/39059558@N05/3983687573/

Here's some recent stuff check the profile to see more if you'd like. Thank you
  • edited October 2009
    SubSidal wrote: »
    Hahahaha!! "I like it when you... point it on the map sir."

"The map sir..."
    "You're making us look bad!!"

:D
    great one
  • edited October 2009
    doodo! wrote: »
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/39059558@N05/3983687573/

Here's some recent stuff check the profile to see more if you'd like. Thank you
    that isn't monkey island fan art. perhaps make a thread in the general forum.

also your pictures are all stretched out.
  • edited October 2009
    3733123659_0a78afbda7.jpg
    Le Chuck

3733123603_0bfc3b9324.jpg
    Guybrush pointing.

Just a reminder that my site, the Destructoid Artisans Group is running a contest to give away a 5 free copies of Tales of Monkey Island and a handmade SCUMM item. All you have to do is enter an art project based on a SCUMM game. Further details available at the site.

Sponsored by Telltale Games
  • edited October 2009
    Well, with all the pixel art going on, I thought I better try one. Here goes for MI 1 Guybrush done in Cross Stitch, or as I like to call it, Paint-By-Numbers Embroidery. Except in this case, I put in the numbers....

Attachment not found.

This isn't quite finished. I really wanted to add in a Cross Stitch LeChuck but I can't find an image in the same resolution as this one. So, if anyone can find a good picture I would be very grateful. Thanks.
  • edited October 2009
    picture.php?albumid=276&pictureid=1877

Another quick doodle. I should really try doing something big soon.
  • edited October 2009
    I attempted drawing another scene from ToMI in CMI comic style, and this time, I'm quite content with how it turned out - well, except for the very poor background, but as I think I've mentioned before, I suck at drawing perspective, straight lines, ships or anything like it.

Anyway, here it is:
    Tales_of_MI_Sketch__The_Victim_by_beekay84.jpg

I hope you like it. I'm in the process of coloring it (without drawing new outlines), just to see what it looks like. Maybe I'll post that, too, then or I'll make a really refined colored version some time.

@Spadge: *lol* Very attractive! :D But seriously, nice one! Looks great, especially for a quick drawing. ;)
    By the way, where did you get that avatar? Made it yourself from one of the others, or do they offer that many ToMI avatars now?
  • edited October 2009
    My Santino art. Sorry. It was done fairly quickly.

SantinoII.jpg
  • edited October 2009
    That's just wrong on so many levels...
  • LupLup
    edited October 2009
    hey guys!
    here's something i did the other day. Its the ingame model of guybrush drawn and colored with gimp2.
    i hope you like it :)

guybrushcolor.jpg
  • edited October 2009
    Here's the colored version of my earlier sketch - for those who are interested. Like I said, it was just a rather quick coloring job, done on one single layer:
    Tales_of_MI__The_Victim_by_beekay84.jpg
    "Guybrush Threepwood... I've been waiting a long time for this!"

@Lup: Very nice so far! :) I say "so far" because his pony-tail is still missing. ;)
  • LupLup
    edited October 2009
    BeeKay84 wrote: »
    Here's the colored version of my earlier sketch - for those who are interested. Like I said, it was just a rather quick coloring job, done on one single layer:
    Tales_of_MI__The_Victim_by_beekay84.jpg
    "Guybrush Threepwood... I've been waiting a long time for this!"

@Lup: Very nice so far! :) I say "so far" because his pony-tail is still missing. ;)

now that your scene is colored it looks even better and especially very alive! great work!
    and about the pony-tail ... i knew something was missing on guybrush ^-^ thanks =)

EDIT: Just noticed the clowds in the backround!! reminds me on the beatiful clowds in the MI3 skys ;P
  • edited October 2009
    Beekay, your coloring gets better and better! Very nice fanart :)
  • LupLup
    edited October 2009
    allright guybrush finally has his majestic pony-tail! :D

guybrushbymecolor2.jpg

oh and hi majus! *wave* ^-^
  • edited October 2009
    @Lup: Thanks for the compliment! :) Yeah, I really wanted to draw CMI clouds, though they are really hard. I do believe they have 3D versions of these clouds in Tales, too. ;)
    And your Guybrush looks much better now - he actually looks perfect now! ;)

@Majus: Danke! :)
  • LupLup
    edited October 2009
    @ Beekay: also thank you for the compliment! :) / danke fürs kompliment :P

Ill try to do a sketch of Morgan next. the designers did a very good job with her ingame model, especially the face looks awesome. I wonder why elaines face is not that pretty... :rolleyes:
Sign in to comment in this discussion.