Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• I really enjoyed it good job man. I'm very intrigued into who's named the successor and what will transpire next!

"Now, Maester Eaton, how do you want to die?" Eaton snorted. "You are awfully civil for a paid killer" This time it almost seemed as if t

• <3

First, there are a few people I need to thank: @InKennyWeTrust and @Domingez, for writing the two best stories on this forum. You two got

• As I first stumbled upon this today, I have a question to ask (my apologies if it has been asked before), but can one of my characters be a bastard?

• Very good start! Can't wait for this to continue! :)

"Now, Maester Eaton, how do you want to die?" Eaton snorted. "You are awfully civil for a paid killer" This time it almost seemed as if t

• Thank you! This will really help!

The strange quotations marks are a German thing and programmed into my version of Open Office. I will try to find a way to work around that, but I can't promise it. And I am very glad you disliked the italics. It was a last minute idea, conceived at 3AM and it was thought to make dialogue stand out more from the normal text. In the end it was a pain in the ass and thanks to your feedback I will gladly drop them :D

Apostrophes and commas are probably one of the things I am most unsure when it comes to english grammar. I will try my best, but can't promise anything. The sentence that confused you was meant to be split, until I posted the part and the final paragraphs got cut off. I had to copy/paste the original version without splits from my Open Office again and kinda failed to do it correctly there. Damn limitation in post length XD

Thank you again for your review. I'm glad that you liked it overall and I will try to improve on the things you mentioned!

Alright, here comes a review where I'll probably sound like a huge dick. I hate doing critiques. Most of my critiques are minor nitpicks

• Thank you! I'm glad you liked it :)

Unfortunately I think a royal character would be a bit too powerful to directly be a part of the story in Raylansfair. It would not be that bad with a northern princess, but imagine a character from House Gardener interfering with the coming things. Then again, a Northern princess would likely be too important to directly interfere with this.

But feel free to create a minor house, as long as your main character is not the head of this house.

10/10, bruh! Your writing talent is amazing! I'm really hooked for a story. Btw, can I submit people who are relatives of the King? For e

• Thank you! I have to admit, I started writing the prologue even before I created the introductory post, so I'm not really that fast. It took me about 5-6 hours of straight writing to complete it.

TWD_25 posted: »

Your writing is amazing. I love the flow your writing has to it, you also have a really good plot! You're also a really fast typer.

• It has not been asked before. And yes, bastard characters are perfectly fine and you can create one or more of them :)

As I first stumbled upon this today, I have a question to ask (my apologies if it has been asked before), but can one of my characters be a bastard?

• I am more than positively surprised that people actually seem to like what I wrote! I can't thank you enough, it really motivates me to continue with the story as soon as possible. I will start writing the next part today and it will be up either later today or tomorrow.

But for now, let me reveal the Chapter names for Act I:

Act I: A Fate Uncertain

Chapter I: Dark Wings, Dark Words

Chapter II: Broken Vows

Chapter III: We Write History

• Could I make a bastard son to the Lord of Castamere? :3

It has not been asked before. And yes, bastard characters are perfectly fine and you can create one or more of them

• Well, I meant creating my own house. I hope you're okay with that.

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it Unfortunately I think a royal character would be a bit too powerful to directly be a part of the story

• Yes, I am okay with that.

Well, I meant creating my own house. I hope you're okay with that.

• Yes, feel free to do so!

Could I make a bastard son to the Lord of Castamere?

• What's the house of Castamere again? Jeyne, right?

Yes, feel free to do so!

• Almost :D It's House Reyne

What's the house of Castamere again? Jeyne, right?

• Wait a sec, I got one more question. The wiki page says nothing about House Reyne during Aegon's Lsnding. Can I create members of houses (including their rulers) if it's not said what was happening to that house during that timeline?

Yes, I am okay with that.

• And so he spoke... and so he spoke... the lord of castamere...

Almost It's House Reyne

• Also, pardon my ignorance, but the King of The Rock, how old is he and his children?

Almost It's House Reyne

• There is nothing said about his age, or even about his children, so I determine that the king is 43 years old, has a 21 year old son and a 19 year old daughter.

Also, pardon my ignorance, but the King of The Rock, how old is he and his children?

• Now that's a funny coincidence! Gustav just wanted to create the bastard of Lord Reyne :D That means he will be part of the house and related to your characters.

Feel free to do create members for House Reyne, it could likely provide me with the opportunity of a good subplot in the Kingdom of the Rock

Wait a sec, I got one more question. The wiki page says nothing about House Reyne during Aegon's Lsnding. Can I create members of houses (including their rulers) if it's not said what was happening to that house during that timeline?

• Lord Reyne better be old, because his bastard is 33! xD

Now that's a funny coincidence! Gustav just wanted to create the bastard of Lord Reyne That means he will be part of the house and related

• Excellent chapter. I'm already pondering who was the assassin, and what was their dagger design since people decorate weapons with runes and such, because maybe it'll play a role later in the story.

• I could make this lord already dead while his son will rule the Castamere. He might even be friends with the bastard. Deal?

Lord Reyne better be old, because his bastard is 33! xD

• Deal.

I could make this lord already dead while his son will rule the Castamere. He might even be friends with the bastard. Deal?

• Did you already made up the name for the previous lord Reyne or I'm free to do this by myself?

Deal.

• But, I am afraid that the bastard does not currently reside at Castamere.

I could make this lord already dead while his son will rule the Castamere. He might even be friends with the bastard. Deal?

• I did merely only name the bastard.

Did you already made up the name for the previous lord Reyne or I'm free to do this by myself?

• Hm... What would the name of his son be?

There is nothing said about his age, or even about his children, so I determine that the king is 43 years old, has a 21 year old son and a 19 year old daughter.

• Haven't thought of a name yet... I think I'm going to name him Lucion. Lucion Lannister has a certain vibe to it

Hm... What would the name of his son be?

• edited December 2014

Can I make Lord Reyne's son be berothed to the daughter of Loren? Sorry if I'm asking for too much but it would create a good storyline.

Or maybe the opposite - Reyne's daughter berothed to Lucion.

There is nothing said about his age, or even about his children, so I determine that the king is 43 years old, has a 21 year old son and a 19 year old daughter.

• You can. I mean, he would not be a royal character, technically speaking, so he would not be too powerful. I can already think of a good way to implement him in the story :)

Can I make Lord Reyne's son be berothed to the daughter of Loren? Sorry if I'm asking for too much but it would create a good storyline. Or maybe the opposite - Reyne's daughter berothed to Lucion.

• I also requested teh opposite option. Which one do you like more?

You can. I mean, he would not be a royal character, technically speaking, so he would not be too powerful. I can already think of a good way to implement him in the story

• I will see what you do with me glorious Roger Hill :3

Haven't thought of a name yet... I think I'm going to name him Lucion. Lucion Lannister has a certain vibe to it

• edited December 2014

I like them both, but I think Reyne's son bethrothed to Lorens daughter could provide me with a better way of including him in the story.

In the end, I leave it completely up to you

I also requested teh opposite option. Which one do you like more?

• Oh, then I'll have the son version. Thanks!

I like them both, but I think Reyne's son bethrothed to Lorens daughter could provide me with a better way of including him in the story. In the end, I leave it completely up to you

• That's about as long as it takes me.

Thank you! I have to admit, I started writing the prologue even before I created the introductory post, so I'm not really that fast. It took me about 5-6 hours of straight writing to complete it.

• FINALLY I submitted teh whole Reyne family. Jesus, it was really hard. Anyway, I hope you're happy with the characters I submitted.

• Oh yis, now we have House Reyne and their bastard.

FINALLY I submitted teh whole Reyne family. Jesus, it was really hard. Anyway, I hope you're happy with the characters I submitted.

• edited December 2014

Act I: A Fate Uncertain

Chapter I: Dark, Wings, Dark Words

Lucas

It was early in the morning, when Lucas Flowers entered the great hall. On normal days, the servants would have prepared breakfast now, hard-boiled eggs, bacon, loafs of bread and more honey than a man could ever eat. And apricots... Lucas always loved the apricots. Usually, the hall was filled with laughter, filled with people, from the lowest servant to Lord Raylan himself. But today, the great hall was silent and bleak.

Three people sat on the Honor Table, their facial expressions ranging from gloomy to stern. Septon Corbin, a pudgy man of about forty years, balding, with an always dolorous face and puffy eyes, a man who thought of himself as holier than the rest, sat to the right. Across the Septon sat Halla Peddle, the housekeeper, ruling over a few dozen servants with an iron fist, a stern and skinny old woman, always armed with a pinched mouth and a fearsome glare. Even though she was a common woman, few people dared not to adress her as “Lady Halla“. Between them sat Harris Flowers, castellan and now acting Lord of Raylansfair. His face was frozen, likely in shock, his usual gentle smile gone. He looked up as Lucas entered the Hall.

“Lucas, glad you're here...“, he said, his voice muffled by his unkempt beard. He had deep dark circles under his eyes and he was pale. Lucas had always liked Harris. The man was a bastard, like himself. Born as the illegitimate child of Lord Roberts trusted childhood friend, Harris had it a bit better than most bastards. He never had to experience the animosity some people held for bastards, but nonetheless he was free of any arrogance. And despite his advanced age, Harris was a strong fighter and worthy of respect. “Come closer, grab a seat. We have something to talk about“

Lucas took a step towards the table and bowed before them. “Ser Harris, Septon Corbin, Lady Halla, how may I serve you?“

Harris made a hand gesture and Lucas realized that there was another person in the room, a thin girl with a timid look on her face, probably around his age. Hadn't he seen her somewhere around here? “Ser Lucas is hungry, girl. Go, bring him a glass of wine and something to eat“, Harris demanded. The girl winced, almost as if Harris startled her, made a curtsey and scurried to the kitchen.

“I'm not...“, Lucas started, but the girl was already gone. “I'm not hungry...“, he added, before grabbing a seat opposite of Harris. His stomach rumbled.

Lady Halla shook her head in disapproval. “She's that Harking girl m'Lords. Jenna Harking. Good for nothing and far too thin for my liking“

Harris shrugged. “I'm afraid we are not here to talk about the Harking girl“ He bent forwards and looked Lucas right in the eyes. “What I'm going to tell you now will stay between the four of us, do you understand?“ He seemed to be serious, deadly serious and Lucas could not blame him. He had not seen the body of the old Maester Eaton, but he heard the servants talk. It was rumoured that Eaton commited suicide after Lord Raylans death. But it was also rumoured that the young Dairon was missing.

In that moment Harris looked over Lucas shoulders. “Ah, hurry girl and then leave us alone“ Lucas turned around and saw the servant, now carrying a cup of wine and a small bowl, filled with bread, honey and grilled bacon. Lucas stomach rumbled again as he gazed upon the food.
    “Thank you“, he spoke, while giving the girl a grateful smile. She placed the bowl before him and made a curtsey again, before she turned around and rushed out of the hall.

“What did I say? She's far too timid for a servant“, Lady Halla complained, while Lucas took a bite out of the bread.

Harris cleared his throat “Lucas, what have you heard about last night?“, he asked. Septon Corbin raised his head, his puffy eyes now looking directly at Lucas.

“Not much. They say Lord Raylan is dead. They say Maester Eaton took his own life, out of grief. And they say Dairon is gone“, Lucas answered, before drinking a sip of wine. Harris was still looking at him, almost as if he expected something else. A thought flashed through Lucas head. This was a test. Harris expected more.

“You don't believe it was a suicide, do you?“, Lucas added and immediately knew that this was the correct answer. Harris gave him an approving smile. “Good boy. We knew you are the right person for this. No, I don not believe it was suicide. And I do not believe Lord Raylan died of a natural cause either“

He paused for a moment and gulped. “Eaton was a good friend. And Lord Robert was an ever better one. I owe him everything. I owe him to find a good successor for his House. And I especially owe him to find his killer and bring him to justice“

“And what do you want from me, Ser Harris?“, Lucas asked, even though he already suspected the answer.

“I need you to find the killer, Lucas Flowers. I admit, I ask for much. We have no real lead, no real suspect. But if you do this, either me or the future Lord Raylan will reward you. You are one of the few honorable man in a castle full of liars. I trust you, but only few of the others“, Harris answered.

Lucas leant back, overwhelmed with what Harris just asked of him. A Lord has been murdered. And he, Lucas Flowers, the Bastard of Vyrwel, should find the killer. He met Harris gaze. The castellan just called him one of the few honorable man in a castle full of liars. That raised the question, was Harris himself one of the honorable few? And what about Septon Corbin and Lady Halla? Lucas sighed. There was no point in asking that now. Harris was acting Lord Raylan. His superior. “Do you have any idea where I should start, Ser Harris?“, Lucas asked

Finally Harris usual gentle smile appeared on his face. “Good boy. We knew we could trust you with this. As I said, we have no real lead, but Dairon, Maester Eatons assistant is missing. He was the last person to see both of them alive. Lady Halla found out that a horse in the stables is missing, together with some supplies from the kitchen. The gatekeeper saw him leaving, shortly before dawn, shortly after Maester Eaton fell from the tower. He moved south. Right now, Dairon is the only one who may know more about this“

Lady Halla cleared her throat “He is a suspect. We expect you to bring him back, so Harris can judge him“, she said, without a hint of empathy in her voice. “But maybe you can also question the servants. They have a good look on the southern road from their quarters. I tried to talk to them, but for some reason they seem to be afraid of me"

Lucas sighed. Dairon was a young boy with a gentle soul. He wasn't the kind of man who would kill someone like Maester Eaton. Lucas was even unsure if Dairon could kill anyone. But he was also the only real lead. So, how should he approach this? Should he just travel south, trying to follow Dairons trail? Or should he question the gatekeeper? Maybe the servants saw something, but would they talk to someone like him? Inspecting Lord Raylans chamber might also be a possibility. But every hour he spent here at Raylansfair would be another hour Dairon had to get away. He had to make a decision

[Talk to the gatekeeper] [Inspect Lord Raylans chamber]

[Talk to the servants] [Travel South immediately and try to follow Dairons trail]

Torvin

“NO! Please your grace, I'm begging you! Mercy!“

The gaunt man had fallen on his knees, tears running down his face, his eyes widened with shock. Torvin could tell that the attending nobles, at least the Riverlords, were similarly shocked, if not outright disgusted. Among the Ironborn, he saw different reactions. Some seemed to be indifferent, some even seemed to enjoy what would follow. Torvin shook his head and sighed. It has been an ordinary case. The man was one of the workers, one of the men who were forced to work on Harrenhall, the greatest castle that ever was. He had stolen a loaf of bread and had the choice between loosing a hand or being sent to the wall. It has been an ordinary case, at least until the man started to protest against what he saw as injustice. And that was the biggest mistake he could have made. Nobody called Harren Hoare unjust.

The King stood up from his throne and slowly walked towards his prisoner. Harren wasn't the tallest man in the kingdom. He wasn't the strongest man in the kingdom. But he definitely was the most determined man in the kingdom, and a cruel and bloodthirsty bastard as well. Torvin thought that without any remorse. He knew some people who were afraid of him, up to the point where they wouldn't even dare to have bad thoughts about him. But Torvin saw him as the man he was. A short man, muscular, but also starting to become fat, with black hair, but balding. He was wearing a blackened armor and his crown, a thick golden circlet with four long, pointy spikes on top.Two deep scars over his left cheeck and mouth showed that he was not invincible. He was not immortal. However, the peasants were well-advised in being afraid of him. Harren Hoare was a man ordinary people should be afraid of. But they should be able to think about him like they wanted to do.

“Mercy? You dare asking me for mercy?“ The King of the Isles and Rivers had a harsh and hoarse voice. He grabbed the poor man by the throat and delivered a hard blow with his armoured glove into the mans face. “Come on, ask me again, this time without your fucking teeth!“, Harren growled and lessend his grip around the mans throat. “For your insolence, you will be flayed“, he simply stated, before turning around, walking back to his throne and leaving the bleeding and weeping man on his floor.

“Please your grace... Please, send me to the wall. I choose the wall...“, the man sobbed.

Harren didn't even turn around. “You choose the wall?“ His voice sounded dangerously calm this time. “Fine then... You all heard it. This little bastard chose the wall! I can't deny him this right, mylords...“ He paused for a moment and looked over the attending noblemen and his captains. Torvin winced as Harren looked him straight in the eye. “The wall it shall be... Nail him to Harrenhals northern wall, then proceed with the flaying“

For a short moment, the voices of the attending noblemen even managed to drown the mans panicked pleas for help, until Harren spoke again. “And bring me his annoying tongue. I can't stand this little fuck and his whining...“

Torvin looked around the crowd until he saw his brother. Garthon seemed to be shocked by what just happened. And he wasn't the only one. Some of the noblemen left the room. Harren never forced anyone to attend his court sessions, which was among the best things that could be said about him.

“Your Grace!“

Torvin looked up at the man who just called. Every person in the room did the same, including Harren Hoare, who watched the man with his dark eyes. It was a tall man, lean, with short brown hair and a well-kempt mustache. He wore a tabard striped in red and blue with a silver trout on it. Torvin sighed. The man was one of the Riverlords. He wasn't the first to speak up against Harren Hoare and he wouldn't be the last.

Harren narrowed his eyes. “Lord Edmyn Tully...“, he stated without raising his voice above a whisper.

“Your grace, this is not right. The man pleaded to be sent to the wall. It is his right. The men of the Night's Watch need recruits and you know that“, Tully said while maintaining eye contact with the king. Hoare took a few steps closer to Lord Tully. Torvin gulped. He had seen the look in King Harrens eyes. He was in a particularly bad mood today.

“Let me tell you one thing Tully! My brother won't get any recruit from me... And you... You dare to tell me what is right and what is wrong, you fucking fishlord?“, he grunted without even trying to lower his voice. A few Riverlords gasped audibly and Torvin could see how Tully narrowed his eyes. The Riverlord laid his hands on the hilt of his sword. “How did you call me, your grace?“

Harren started to laugh. It was a terrible sound, more befitting to a roaring bear. “I called you a fucking fishlord. A stupid little Rivercunt, not even worthy enough to become my lowest captains salt wife...“ With that he looked at Torvin, while giving him a devious grin. “Come on Tully, we both know what you want to do now. You wouldn't be the first to try it. But think about what happens if you fail.Think about what I will do to your family...“ Harrens voice lowered while he looked around.

Slowly, Tully moved his hand away from the hilt. King Harren grinned and grabbed the Riverlord by the shoulders “Clever little trout... You may leave this hall now. But Edmyn.... Never dare such a thing again if you are not willing to go through with it...“ With that, he released the man from his grip. Tully breathed heavily, but Torvin could see the fury in his glare as he looked at Harren. Without another word, the Riverlord turned around.

“Family, Duty, Honor...“, Harren scoffed at the Lord, while Tully stepped out of the hall. “It is in your words, Tully. Honor always comes last for you, you fucking trout!“

Torvin closed his eyes, while Harren walked back to his throne. The king was perfectly willing to kill his underlings for any wrong word. How long would it be until he would kill one of his captains? Torvin wondered if he himself was safe from Harrens frenzy. He wondered if Garthon was safe from Harrens frenzy. And he looked after Lord Tully, who just left the great hall. The Riverlord was brave. Maybe too brave. But maybe he was one of the few that could actually protect Torvin and Garthon from Harren Hoares wrath, should anything ever happen. In that moment, the king's Maester presented the next case, a territorial dispute between two farmers. Torvin started to walk towards the doors. He had little interest in the cruelties the King of the Isles and Rivers could think off, had little interest in how Harren Hoare made a mockery out of court sessions.

Maybe he should talk to Lord Tully. Hear what he had to say about this. About halfway to the door someone grabbed him by the arm. His brother Garthon looked him, visibly worried. Garthon was a bit smaller than Torvin, still tall, with the same dark hair, but unlike Torvin, who wore a mighty beard, he was clean-shaven. Garthon has always been the charming brother, the one who cares how his behaviour appeared towards others.

“What are you doing brother?“, Garthon demanded to know. He was visibly shaken by what his king just did. Torvin sighed. “I have to talk to Lord Tully. I saw the look in his eyes. If the Riverlord is planning something, I need to know...“

Garthon shook his head “No, you don't need to. Stay out of that. Harren Hoare is no man you want against you. He looked at you, you know that? As you walked towards the door. He is waiting for you to make a mistake“

“And what should I do in your opinion, brother? Just waiting until the king finds a reason to kill me?“, Torvin asked with a sneer. Why should Harren Hoare kill him anyway? He never showed the king how much he despised him, he has been careful, wasn't he?

Garthon shrugged. “The king can do as he likes. He does not need a reason and you know that. Try to get into his favour. You wan to lead our family to glory? Than stick with the king. The Lord of Riverrun can't give you anything when Hoare is going to kill him. Come on brother, you are smarter than that...“

[Go after Lord Tully] [Stay with Garthon in the Great Hall]

• [Inspect Lord Raylans chamber]

[Go after Lord Tully]

Sign in to comment in this discussion.