Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• Great part! Hoare's are such an interesting family, a sick and dark one, but surely interesting :D

Alys Alys pressed her lips together and took a deep breath, trying not to show her fear in front of this man. Without saying anything, Ed

• To be honest was just waiting for Harren to kill everone like Alys. I think I have a new character to hate.

I don't like the sound of those plans. In my ever expanding knowledge I've noticed that Raylansfair is near the Shield Islands close to the Mander. Highgarden is on the Mander, along with plenty of other settlements. If I had to guess it's an invasion of the Reach after conquering the Shield Islands assuming they aren't already controlled by ironborn. Take Raylansfair to go down the Mander.

Alys Alys pressed her lips together and took a deep breath, trying not to show her fear in front of this man. Without saying anything, Ed

• The Voting is... oh, wait...

It's unusual for me that I can't close any voting for once, so I just thought I should announce that the next part will be out today. And it's going to be a somewhat special part as well. It is going to be the 100th Forum of Thrones part! Now, don't expect anything super special from this anniversary part, it's going to be a part like every other, I just thought it might be an interesting detail :D This part will mainly advance two storylines we haven't seen in a while, namely Jenna's and Maya's. Jenna's part is already written and I'm going to start writing Maya's part right now, so expect it to be out in a few hours.

• With no voting, it's kind of weird.

I hope Jenna dies in this special anniversary part.

The Voting is... oh, wait... It's unusual for me that I can't close any voting for once, so I just thought I should announce that the nex

• I hope Jenna dies in this special anniversary part.

I knew this comment was coming :'D

With no voting, it's kind of weird. I hope Jenna dies in this special anniversary part.

• cant wait for the next part :D
    Cant wait for my char either :DD

The Voting is... oh, wait... It's unusual for me that I can't close any voting for once, so I just thought I should announce that the nex

• Every time Dante is mentioned my face lights up :D

• edited August 2015

Yeah, #TeamKarstark. :D Although my Karstark has killed another Karstark so...

AgentZ46 posted: »

Every time Dante is mentioned my face lights up

• edited August 2015

Jenna

As Jenna looked up, seeing the Sept of Raylansfair against the nightly sky, she slowed down her steps. She had never particularly liked the Sept, surprising for someone who was used to pray a lot. Of course, Jenna was a religious person, it was just that she found no joy in visiting the Sept. It was a cold place, a place where people focussed on worshipping other people rather than worshipping the gods. For her own prayers, Jenna had a small shrine at home, with small wooden figurines depicting each of the Seven.

Despite her nervousness, the hint of a smile found its way onto her face as Jenna remembered how her mother had carved these figurines one evening, together with her oldest brother. Back then, it has been an easier life for her, with no Harris and no Wolfius. But now, her mother was dead, her brother was fighting a hopeless war in the dornish marches and she was working for a bad man to bring down someone who was even worse. For a moment, Jenna asked herself when exactly her life stopped being easy.

She closed her eyes. Not now. Now was a bad time to think about this. She had to focus on the task. Septon Corbin was in there. If Harris was right with his assumption, then Corbin sold her out to someone. Perhaps to the one behind Wolfius. At the very least, Corbin had told someone what she had told him, either deliberately or accidentally. If he did it accidentally, she could forgive him. Deliberately, on the other hand...

Shivering out of anxiety, Jenna Harking pushed open the left wing of the septs large door. During this time, it wasn't unusual for the Sept to be empty, save for Septon Corbin of course and today it wasn't any different. The interior of the building was dimly lit, only the lights around the seven altars allowed her to see. As always, the altars of the Father, the Mother and the Smith were illuminated brightly by dozens of candles and to Jenna's surprise, she saw that someone had lit a candle on the Stranger's altar as well.

“Septon Corbin?”, she called as she slowly progressed into the Sept. Between the small benches for the praying and the simple, wooden statues depicting each aspect of the seven, there was no room for the portly septon to hide, so Jenna was surprised that she wasn't able to see him immediately. “Has someone called me?”, the mans voice sounded from behind the Stranger's altar. Jenna shivered as she looked at the statue depicting the god. It was a thin and hooded silhouette, but underneath the hood, a long, inhuman skull full of teeth was visible.

“It's me, Jenna”, she called him again. “Septon Corbin, I need to talk to you” She slowly approached the altar, her eyes fixed on the bestial statue. Behind the altar, she could see an open trapdoor and a ladder, leading to the crypts below the building. “I'm on my way!”, the Septon answered and she heard him slowly climbing up the ladder.

Finally, the pudgy Septon wormed his way through the trapdoor, breathing heavily as he did so. The hint of a smile was on his face as he turned around, although it quickly switched to an expression of sheer horror as his eyes fell upon the long wound on Jenna's face. “By the gods, Jenna...”, he mumbled, his eyes widely opened.

She frowned at the look in his eyes and quickly turned away from him. She didn't want his pity. She didn't need his pity. She only needed an answer. “What happened?”, Corbin asked softly as he approached her, opening his arms as if he wanted to hug her. The look in his eyes irritated her. It wasn't only the unwanted pity, it was something else, something worse. Surprise maybe. Was he surprised to see her still alive?

“Lady Halla is dead”, she revealed and a distraught expression flashed over the Septon's face. “I was attacked by the same man who killed her” She pointed at the wound on her face and pressed her lips together as she felt anger rising inside of her. “He did this and he nearly killed my father as well”

Septon Corbin raised an eyebrow as he slowly approached her, raising a hand. A part of Jenna wanted to take a step back, out of his reach, but she knew, she couldn't show her suspicion towards him. Instead, she allowed him to put a hand on her shoulder, as he looked at her with warmth in his eyes.

“I don't know what to say. I am so sorry to hear this”, he answered and in this moment, Jenna knew he was lying. She wasn't a good liar herself, she wasn't even good at spotting a lie. But if there was one thing she had encountered far too often in her life, it had been fake pity. She just felt that he was lying, that he wasn't sorry to hear this. At best, he was sorry that she survived. And then there were little details. The way he looked at her, the streak around his mouth that was obviously displeased to see her here.

“But, Jenna, why are you approaching me with this?”, the Septon asked and his voice barely hid his anxiety. He suspected it, she could feel it. And she needed an excuse. Luckily, this wasn't hard, considering that she was talking to a Septon. “I...”, she started and stopped, biting her lower lip as she felt tears forming in her eyes. For once, she did not see it as a bad thing. Septon Corbin's face got more approachable and friendly with every tear she shed. “I couldn't sleep. It hurts... and Lady Halla. I can't stop thinking about her. I know, you have been friends”

Corbin gave her a sad nod and gently pushed her towards one of the benches, silently urging her to sit down. He sat next to her and grabbed her hand, as he softly smiled at her. “I have known Halla Peddle for thirty years now”, he said, even though his sadness barely convinced Jenna. “Hearing about her death, it pains me” For a moment, Jenna had to move her face away from him, taking a deep breath to calm down. This lying bastard!

“You know, the Seven have a plan for each of us. For you, for me, for Halla. Sometimes, we don't understand every detail in their plan. At times, they might even appear cruel, but everything they do serves a greater good”, he explained and Jenna couldn't believe how she ever trusted him. He was lying, she felt it. And every word of his was like poison. With every passing second, she got more convinced that he was hiding something from her.

“The Stranger is cruel”, she mumbled, in an attempt of continuing the conversation without drawing his suspicion. Septon Corbin shook his head. “This is a common misconception. The Stranger simply takes those of us whose time on this world is over”, he explained calmly, before his gaze hardened. “Jenna, I have to ask you something... you and Halla have seen what Harris did to Ser Ilhan. Now Halla is dead and you only narrowly survived... Can it be that Harris is behind the attack? I think he would be capable of such a thing”

At first, Jenna wanted to shake her head. She knew, it wasn't Harris. At the very least, she was reasonably sure that the acting lord was innocent of this crime. But right now, she had to please the Septon, to avoid any suspicion he may had towards her. She shrugged. “I don't know if he did it, Septon Corbin...”, she said and the Septon let out a sigh. “It was him. There is no other way. He is the only one who could hope to gain something out of your death, Jenna”, he answered and sternly looked her in the eyes. “I have heard the talk in the town. The lord of Mander's Mouth has informed the king of his intentions to take control of Raylansfair. The king in turn has sent Lord Harlen Tyrell to decide in this matter”, he explained. “As soon as Lord Tyrell arrived in Raylansfair, I need you to tell him what you know about Harris”

With these words, he destroyed any last doubt she had about his guilt. It was him who had told Wolfius or his employer that she knew about what Harris did. And it had been no accident either, or else he wouldn't act this way. The only thing that spoke in his favour was the hint of genuine sadness he had shown when she had revealed the death of Halla. And this made her unsure how she should continue in this matter. He was hiding something and she had to find out.

“One more question, Jenna... have you told anyone that I know what Harris did?”, Corbin asked. “I'm just asking, because if you did, I might be in danger as well” Jenna looked at him and realized that she failed at hiding her anger. The Septon narrowed his brows as he gave her a questioning look. “Is everything alright, Jenna?”, he asked.

“I haven't told anyone”, she mumbled and a smirk appeared on his face. “Good! This is good. Until we have dealt with Harris, no one can know that I'm in on your secret”, he exclaimed and Jenna closed her eyes. She had put her trust in him and in return, he barely tried to hide the fact that he betrayed her. And now she had to find a way to get this confession out of him.

Of course, the safest way would be to play his game a little longer, to lure him into a false sense of security, perhaps to trick him into revealing something by accident. But Jenna wasn't sure how much longer she could uphold this lie. Perhaps it was about time to confront him directly. It was a bold strategy, not what she would have done usually, but what her father or Ser Ilhan would have done. Perhaps he would break down, perhaps he would confess. Or perhaps he would attack her.

Jenna clenched her fists as the thought of the Septon attacking her flashed through her mind. And there was something else. The thought of Wolfius and his knife and especially the anger she felt, at him, at everyone. She looked down and noticed that her fists were still clenched. Septon Corbin started all of this. He was the one responsible for the attack on her. And Jenna was furious about this betrayal. Perhaps it was about time to make him feel what she did, to beat the confession out of him with her bare hands!

[Confront him directly] [Attack him and try to beat a confession out of him] [Try to trick him]

Maya

“So, any idea how you're going to pull this off?”, Aldrik asked, as he and Maya were lead through the long hallway that lead to the lords audience room. She shook her head and smirked at the question. “You know me, I'm going to improvise”, she answered and the knight let out a sigh. “I sincerely hope that you're going to take this seriously. The Vale needs these documents if we want to have any chance against the Storm King in the war that comes”

“I know what's at stake”, Maya reassured him sternly. “I have family in the Vale. My parents. Three younger siblings. I'll get these blasted documents for their sake” This answer seemed to please Ser Aldrik and he gave her a nod. “I'm glad to hear this, ambassador. I have trust in you. The only obstacle we need to overcome is the acting lord. From what I know, Harris Flowers has a reputation of being stubborn and distrustful towards anyone who might be a threat to his position.

Maya raised an eyebrow and shook her head. “I have no intentions of being a threat to his position”, she insisted. “I know”, Aldrik answered. “Let's hope that the lord will see it the same way” He looked at the door at the end of the hallway and at the guardsman who slowly lead them towards it. “I'm only curious why the woman at the front gate started to laugh when we asked to speak to Lord Harris”

Before Maya could answer, the guard stopped and pointed at the door. “Lord Harris and his new advisor are waiting for you”, he explained and took a deep bow in front of them. Maya pressed her lips together, slightly anxious of the talk that was going to follow. In her life, she had met only two lords and neither experience had been pleasant.

She gave Ser Aldrik a sign to enter the room first. The knight saluted in front of her, something she almost found ridiculous, before he walked towards the door, loudly knocking on it. “The door is unlocked, please come in”, a deep voice called from within. Without wasting any more time, Aldrik opened the door, stepping into the room behind.

“May I announce Lady Maya Iresons, Ambassador of Runestone and the Kingdom of Mountain and Vale”, he proclaimed with a loud voice and Maya felt her cheeks blushing at his words. Ambassador... part of her found it ridiculous that she was awarded such a title, even if it was only a formality. She knew, she had her talents, but politics were not among them. Of course, Lord Royce had his reasons to give her this title, but that made it not less strange.

Maya was no scheming noble lady, she was born in a cottage smaller than the room she just entered, sharing it with her parents and her younger siblings for most of her life. It had been luck, good or bad, that she had beaten up a boy who tried to bully her youngest brother, right in front of Lord Royce himself. The Bronze Lord had been pleased enough with her show that he had given her a position as one of his agents. And now, five years later, it was up to her to save the whole kingdom from a warmongering whoreson. Despite her anxiety, a smirk flashed across her face. Ambassador... how ridiculous!

The room she just entered was large and well-furnished, with a warm fire burning in the fireplace and a large desk standing in the middle of the room. Behind it sat a tall man, perhaps in his fifties, with light brown hair, a bushy beard and deep green eyes. He was wearing a fine green tunic and narrowed his eyes as she walked in. Next to him stood a beautiful woman with fair skin, dark brown hair and deep blue eyes. She was wearing an elegant blue dress and was looking decidedly more approachable than the lord.

Maya walked closer and took a deep, elegant bow in front of the lord. Learning how to bow correctly had been hard for her despite the usual elegance she displayed while moving, but over the past five years, Lord Royce had taught her well. Still, right now Maya felt as if she had screwed up even this basic act of courtesy.

“Ambassador Maya Iresons...”, the lord slowly said. “I can't say I have ever heard about House Iresons. And I can't say I have been expecting you” He folded his hands and sternly glared at her, while Maya looked at Ser Aldrik for help. “This is correct, mylord Harris. I am not a noble lady, instead I was awarded this position for my loyal service to Lord Royce of Runestone”, she answered and immediately noticed that she had said the right thing. Harris hostile glare got slightly warmer as he gave her a nod. “I see. This is fascinating and a welcome change”, he answered and pointed at the young woman next to him.

“May I introduce you to Lady Sherryl, my trusted advisor”, he said and the woman took a bow in front of them, far more elegant than Maya's own pathetic attempt. “It's a pleasure to meet you, ambassador”, she said with a bright smile, but Maya also caught something in her eyes that reminded her of Lord Royce, to her horror.

Harris pointed at a chair in front of him. “Please, have a seat, ambassador. I have been surprised by your visit, or else I would have made sure to give you a more deserving welcome”, he offered and Maya gladly sat down, slightly leaning back in her chair.

“I am sorry for having to sneak into your city like a thief in the middle of the night, Lord Harris”, she apologized. “But the streets are dangerous and I have only a few trusted companions with me” And Irving, of course.

“No offence taken, Ambassador. But why exactly does the lord of Runestone feel the need to send his ambassador to a remote town in the western Reach?”, Harris asked and immediately, the distrustful glare returned. Maya hated a look like this. Lord Harris would be a lot harder to convince than even Ser Aldrik had feared.

She and her knight exchanged a short glance and Maya immediately understood that it might be a terrible thing to reveal the truth about why the Vale needed the documents from Raylansfairs archive. They would be indebted to Lord Harris, a debt someone like him would claim without a doubt. On a positive side, it was unlikely that he would refuse their pleas, as long as he would gain something out of it. The nature of these documents, on the other hand, couldn't be kept a secret for long, so Maya decided to just reveal at least a part of the truth for now.

“Lord Royce has sent me to you in a matter of great importance for the Vale”, she explained. “A few hundred years ago, a king of the Mountain and Vale sold a number of documents to your archive. I come to claim them back”

Harris narrowed his eyes and exchanged a look with Sherryl, who barely shook her head. “Claiming them back?”, Harris asked and raised an eyebrow. “Why do you want to claim back some old documents?” Maya gulped, knowing fully well that it was a risky move to reveal the Vale's current situation to this man. Again, she decided to tell him a part of the truth.

“These documents are old contracts, a King of the Mountain and Vale made with the Freehold and Old Ghis several thousand years ago”, she explained. “The documents survived the fall of Valyria and Ghis, but had no further value, so they were sold to your archive. Lord Royce on the other hand believes that he will be able to renew the contracts with Volantis and Slaver's Bay respectively” It was the full truth, with the exception of the most important detail, the reason they needed these contracts so desperately.

“Theoretically, ambassador, I am not willing to sell a part of my archive. No Lord Raylan has ever felt the need to do this. However, as a sign of my good will, I am willing to hear your offer”, Harris growled and Maya let out a sigh of relief. The offer. Lord Royce had told her what to say in such a case.

“You need gold, don't you, Lord Harris?”, she asked. “Lord Royce and King Arryn are ready to buy the documents back for four times the amount of money your predecessor had spent for them” As soon as she had said this, Harris' eyes lit up and Maya felt deep satisfaction. She started to realize why Lord Royce loved it so much to manipulate people. It wasn't as hard as she thought it would be. Promise them enough gold and they were willing to do almost anything.

“A generous offer, ambassador. I don't see any reason why...”, Harris said cheerfully, until Sherryl put a hand on his shoulder. The advisor slowly moved down towards him and started to whisper something into his ear. Harris' smile faded and the distrustful look in his eyes returned. “Good point”, he mumbled.

“Ambassador, I have realized an important detail you haven't yet specified. Why exactly is the Vale willing to spend that much money for these old contracts, on the fleeting chance that they can be renewed? The Lord Royce I have heard about is certainly not a gambler”, Sherryl said with a smirk and Maya suppressed the urge to sigh. Yes, this woman was a bitch, as expected. Seven Hells, what was she supposed to answer to this? The truth would be a risky move, but lying to these people might be even worse. Perhaps Harris would refuse to sell her the contracts if he would spot her lie, or perhaps, even worse, he would refuse to sell her the contracts if she would tell him the truth. Maya was almost certain that the Storm King would pay him just as well, if not even better for ruining the Vale's chances in the coming war.

Of course, talking to Lord Harris was only the first option and this thought helped Maya in calming down a little bit. When worse comes to worse, she could always use her real talents to get these contracts from the archive. But for now, she had to try her luck with negotiation. The way she saw it, she basically had two options here, both equally risky. The truth, or a very convincing lie. By the gods, Maya hated negotiation...

[Tell him the truth] [Try to make up a convincing lie]

• edited August 2015

As hilarious as it would be to see Jenna beat Corbin I'll still go with [Try to trick him]

Edit: [Try to make up a convincing lie]

Jenna As Jenna looked up, seeing the Sept of Raylansfair against the nightly sky, she slowed down her steps. She had never particularly l

• [Try to trick him]

[Try to make up a convincing lie] Maya is in some big doo-doo

• Was it explained in the beginning of Maya's storyline how exactly would these documents help the Vale? Because if it was I don't remember, and I'd like to know. :D

Yes, Lord Royce has explained how exactly he thinks the documents could help the Vale. The Storm King plans a war with the Vale (apparently, he plans a war with several kingdoms at once) and all he actually needs to do to suceed is to close the Bay of Crabs with his navy to prevent any merchant from the Free Cities to bring resources to the Vale during the coming winter, effectively starving the Vale into submission. That was also one of the main reasons why Lord Royce manipulated Maya into killing Lord Brune in Chapter 3, as Brune would have been willing to aid the Storm King with this plan. These documents are contracts that have been made with the Valyrian Freehold and with the Old Ghiscari Empire and once promised help for the Vale in times of need. Lord Royce hopes that he can renew the contracts if he negotiates with the cities of Slaver's Bay, with Volantis and with Aegon, so that they can get help in crushing the Storm King's fleet. Maya is unsure if Harris would help her if he learns the truth about the Vale's situation, or if he would rather sell the contracts to the Storm King for a reward.

As hilarious as it would be to see Jenna beat Corbin I'll still go with [Try to trick him] Edit: [Try to make up a convincing lie]

• [Try to trick him] I do have faith that Corbin is dumb enough to fall into poor Jenna's trick

Tell him the truth] Sherryl is a bitch alright, she seems able to spot a lie, if Harris isn't a douchebag, he will give up the documents.

Jenna As Jenna looked up, seeing the Sept of Raylansfair against the nightly sky, she slowed down her steps. She had never particularly l

• [Attack him and try to beat a confession out of him] Maybe Jenna will die this way. I like that. Or she just beats a poor old man and gets banished/executed.

[Try to make up a convincing lie] Nah, Maya you're fine.

• [Try to trick him]

[Try to make up a convincing lie]

• Can I be frank and say I kind of want the Storm King to take over all these places.

Was it explained in the beginning of Maya's storyline how exactly would these documents help the Vale? Because if it was I don't remember, a

• Aaalright, I actually now remember reading some of that :D Anyway, thanks for explaining.

And knowing this now, I think I'll change my vote, because selling the contracts could totally be something Harris might try to do when Argella comes knockin' with her father's claim to the Lordship of Raylansfair.

Was it explained in the beginning of Maya's storyline how exactly would these documents help the Vale? Because if it was I don't remember, a

• [Attack him and try to beat a confession out of him] FIGHT!

[Tell him the truth] why not?

• [Try to trick him]Even though I want to see Jenna die, I also want to see Harris succeed. So I guess I'm stuck with Jenna for a little longer.

[Try to make up a convincing lie] I actually want Maya to fail at this, because I doubt this would be any good for Raylainsfair if Royce were to get what he wanted.

• [Try to trick him]

[Tell him the truth]

• [Attack him and try to beat a confession out of him]

[Tell him the truth]

• [Try to trick him]

• Oh really... :p

Yeah, #TeamKarstark. Although my Karstark has killed another Karstark so...

• [Try to trick him]

• edited August 2015

[Try to trick him]

• [Confront him directly] [Tell him the truth]

• edited August 2015

[Try to trick him]

[Tell him the truth]

• [Try to trick him]

• [Try to trick him]

[Tell him the truth]

• [Try to trick him]

A very decietful chapter indeed.

• Team Karstark

Yeah, #TeamKarstark. Although my Karstark has killed another Karstark so...

• Hell yeah :D

Team Karstark

• Wanna see characters from Harrenhal? :D If you do then look at these:

enter image description here

Doesn't Harlan look like such a nice guy? :3

• Would it be wrong of me to imply Edward looks like a puppet? :p in all seriousness these are great.

Wanna see characters from Harrenhal? If you do then look at these: Doesn't Harlan look like such a nice guy?

• edited August 2015

edit: lol I don't know what I read first, but yeah nothing wrong with that :D his posture did came off as a little stiff :p

Would it be wrong of me to imply Edward looks like a puppet? in all seriousness these are great.

• I think Edward looked great :)

Would it be wrong of me to imply Edward looks like a puppet? in all seriousness these are great.

• edited September 2015

These are amazing! Harlan indeed looks like a nice guy, the bloody cleaver is especially charming. I especially like the drawings of Alisa and Alys. Both look a bit different from what I've imagined before, but I like these drawings more than the old image in my head, so they kinda replaced it. I also like Edward's outfit, now all he needs is an eyepatch for him to look like a real pirate :D

Wanna see characters from Harrenhal? If you do then look at these: Doesn't Harlan look like such a nice guy?

• Edward looks awesome :)

• [Try to trick him] No need for violence!

[Try to make up a convincing lie] Damn... I just... hope everything doesn't get screwed up :S

• I almost made the cleaver without the blood, a last minute idea and one of the better ones I think :D Anyway, thanks, and nice to know you like them - when Alys was introduced I was facepalming to myself because I thought Alisa was way too similar to her, but since then and now as I draw them I'm rather enjoying the situation. And even if their backstory has similarities they are honestly still very different.

And yeah, Edward has a touch of Euron to him :D Talking about Euron, the actor for him in the show has just been leaked, it's Pilou Asbæk :)

These are amazing! Harlan indeed looks like a nice guy, the bloody cleaver is especially charming. I especially like the drawings of Alisa a

Sign in to comment in this discussion.