Forum of Thrones: An Interactive Story

Comments

• [Bring Ser Rodrik a bottle of wine first]

Ilish “Careful, girl!”, the loud man called and Ilish rolled her eyes. She had expected him to object, but his booming voice nearly cause

• [Bring Malkom a mug of ale]

Ilish “Careful, girl!”, the loud man called and Ilish rolled her eyes. She had expected him to object, but his booming voice nearly cause

• [Confront the stranger first]

• [Bring Ser Rodrik a bottle of wine first] Wow, Raylansfair really is crowded :D

• **[Bring Malkolm a mug of ale first] **

• The Voting is closed!

Ilish is going to confront the stranger first

The next Ilish part will reveal the identity of this strange person. It's going to be creepy, very creepy. There are also going to be some consequences coming out of this. As for the next part, it is going to be a Samantha part and I will try to finish it today. However, I am quite busy at the same time, but I don't want to keep you waiting for as long as I did with the past three parts. So, it's done when it's done, probably rather sooner than later.

• Fuck yeah a Samantha part :D

The Voting is closed! Ilish is going to confront the stranger first The next Ilish part will reveal the identity of this strange perso

• edited September 2015

Samantha

The small group made their way through the lively streets of Oldtown. Jaylon had been remarkably silent, still angry that Samantha had forced him to accompany them. Samantha herself could have gladly passed on his company, but she wouldn't leave him alone with Leonard. No matter how great her anger at the knight was, she would make sure that he would leave this city alive. She had seen the look in his eyes as she spoke to him. His own conscience was punishment enough in her eyes.

“So, do you think he's going to be okay?”, she asked, looking at Davith. The man gave her a reluctant nod. “It is hard to say. His bone wasn't damaged, from what I was able to tell. The rest can probably heal. He lost a lot of blood, but if his wounds don't get infected, he should survive”, he answered and a reassuring smile appeared on his face. “He is a fighter. I'm telling you, he's going to walk around again in no time” Samantha pressed her lips together, as she closed her eyes for a moment. “Hopefully”, she mumbled and suppressed a sigh. Leonard wasn't the only one with a troubled conscience.

“How exactly are we going to get into the Citadel?”, Jaylon asked, finally breaking his silence, although the tone of his voice was sullen. He looked at Sasha, who shrugged with annoyance. “Through the main gate, I'd say”, she growled, glaring at Butterfly's mercenary. Mullendore's mercenary... It was still hard to believe for Samantha. The commander of Oldtown's city watch was the same man who built up a reign of terror in the streets. The man who murdered Lunett, the man who was responsible for the death of her own family. The darkest part of Samantha wanted to grab a knife and use it on Jaylon, just like the Burned Man's girl had used it on the fake Butterfly. Her eyes moved downwards, to the small dagger she was carrying with her, then upwards, to the back of Jaylon's neck. It would be easy, perhaps it would even be satisfying...

Samantha forced herself to stop thinking about these things. Killing Jaylon would achieve nothing, would bring her no closer to taking vengeance. Jaylon was responsible for many despicable things, but if he could be believed, he had no hand in the death of Lunett. And she was pretty sure that he had no hand in the death of her family either. No, as long as he gave her no reason, she wouldn't be the one to kill him.

“It was a serious question...”, the mercenary mumbled. “You expect to just walk in on the Archmaester of Magic? Come on, you're not telling me you don't have a plan, right?” Sasha looked from him to Samantha, before letting out a sigh. “It's not something I am going to discuss with a swine like you. But yes, I have a plan. There is a friend at the Citadel who owes me. He will get us inside”, she snarled. Jaylon slightly frowned at the insult, his head hanging low, a sight that pleased Samantha. She had no pity with this pathetic figure, shambling through the streets with a wounded leg. In fact, a part of her was still seeking for an excuse to beat him bloody.

In the distance, the towers and high walls of the Citadel were already visible. For Samantha, it was the first building that truly impressed her in this city. Sure, there was the Hightower, but at the end of the day it was little else, just a freakishly high tower, not even particularly pretty to look at. The Citadel on the other hand was a piece of art. At least a dozen towers built it's unique frame, connected with high walls, on top of the walls were houses, even entire streets, reserved entirely for novices, acolytes and maesters of the order. A city on top of the city, far above the smallfolk's sorrows.

“How do you plan on contacting your friend?”, Samantha asked and Sasha gave her a light smirk. “That's going to be easy. We're going to find him at the privy”, she revealed, gaining surprised looks from Samantha, Davith and Jaylon. “The privy”, Samantha repeated toneless, not even bothering with asking the obvious question.

“Remember when I told you that I brought him together with that tailor's daughter?”, she asked and Samantha gave her a nod, remembering the tale she had shared with her back at the tavern. “Well, he was caught fucking her in Archmaester Hildyne's bed. He was lucky that Hildyne is one of the more forgiving Archmaesters, but he still had to reforge two of his links and got the privy duty for the next ten years. At least he got to keep his balls and his girl”

She had to pause her tale by Samantha and Davith starting to chuckle almost simultaneously. “Sounds like a person I just have to meet”, Samantha grinned and Sasha gave her a nod. “Yeah, I'm sure you and Harwyn are going to get along just fine”, she answered. “He shares your annoying cheerfulness”

Instead of answering, Samantha flashed a smile towards Sasha, who gave the group the sign to stop. “I'm going in alone. A group of four catches more attention. As soon as I met up with my friend, I'll return”, she said and pointed at a narrow alleyway. “You wait there. Try not to attract any suspicion”

With these words, Sasha left the group, giving Samantha a nod as she passed her. Without a further word, Samantha, Davith and Jaylon left the main street, walking into a small alleyway that, in contrast of the busy main street, was completely empty.

A sigh coming from Davith caught Samantha's attention. She saw the look he was throwing at Jaylon, so similar to her own. “Are you okay?”, she asked softly and Davith slowly shook his head. “There have been plenty of times where I could have ended Maron Mullendore's life”, he revealed. “Back when I was still working for the city guard, I even saved his life once” She saw him clenching his fists. “And now I have to hear that he was responsible for my father's death”

Samantha bit her lower lip and closed her eyes for a moment. “He will pay, sooner or later”, she promised and Davith noticed the upset expression on her face. “Who was it in your case?”, he asked. Samantha avoided to look into his icy blue eyes. “My whole family”, she answered. “My parents, two brothers, two sisters. I have killed the man who did this long ago. Before he died, I made him talk and he revealed that he was one of Butterfly's killers in training”

Davith opened his mouth, but before he was able to say something, Jaylon cut him off. “Boo Hoo, spare us your sob stories, will ya?”, he mumbled, causing Samantha to narrow her eyes. “What have you said?”, she growled, putting a hand at the hilt of her hatchet. “You want to repeat that?”

To her surprise, Jaylon gave her an angry nod. “Yeah. Spare us your sob stories. We have more important things to do than to get all teary-eyed with each other”, he hissed and Samantha took a step closer towards him. Davith's hand on her shoulder stopped her. “Allow me”, he said, as he walked closer towards Jaylon, his fists clenched.

“You work for him, you support him!”, Davith yelled, as Jaylon tried to back away. He wasn't fast enough and Davith managed to grab him at the collar of his shirt. “And now you have the nerve to mock her? You have anything to say in your defence, you bastard?”

Instead of answering, sudden anger twisted Jaylon's facial expression, as he pushed Davith away from him. “I'm not a bastard”, he growled in return. “I have agreed to help you! I am willing to bring you into the Hightower and in return you treat me like shit!”

“For good fucking reason, you obnoxious son of a bitch”, Davith hissed, his voice full of hatred as he took another step towards Jaylon, who did not back off this time. “Don't say such a thing about my mother”, he answered. For a moment, Samantha thought about intervening, but as if he had read her mind, Davith raised a hand. “I said I got this”, he growled and put a hand on the hilt of his sword. Jaylon let out a sigh and raised his hands to the back of his head. “What now?”, he asked. “First she spares my life, then you try to kill me? You need me, you dumb ox!”

“Davith, he's right. We need him”, Samantha pressed through her teeth, despite her anger at Jaylon. Davith shook his head. “No one needs you, Jaylon Gordus. You're nothing but a pathetic asshole”, he answered and pointed the sword at Jaylon, who took another step backwards, bumping against the wall of the house behind him. Samantha understood the anger in Davith's voice. She felt the same anger, but she had learned to live with it.

Just as she thought she finally had to intervene, a familiar figure stepped into the alleyway. “What the hells are you doing?”, Sasha snarled, boiling with anger, as she stepped between Davith and Jaylon. “I'm gone for five minutes and you try to kill each other?” First, she gave Jaylon a cold glare. “You... you should be lucky that Samantha spared your life. But instead of being grateful, you continue to be a goddamn pain in the ass. If I ever hear you provoking one of them again, I'm going to rip out your tongue, have I made myself clear, you bloody fucker?”

“Yes, ma'am”, Jaylon mumbled and gave her a disgruntled nod, before Sasha glared at Davith, who already lowered his head in shame. “And you... I like you, Davith Lanser. You are brave, tough and usually kind-hearted in a city that is already too crowded with selfish assholes. I expect better from you than getting provoked by this animal!”, she exclaimed, before shaking her head. “Actually, fuck you both!” With these words, she looked at Samantha. “This is your damn mission and it was your decision to take both of them with you! Now keep them under control, or I'm out!”

With these words, she turned around, towards the main street, looking over her shoulder again. “You're coming now, or what?”, she asked and before she got an answer, started to walk to the Citadel, the rest of the group behind her. “Well, she's pissed for sure...”, Jaylon mumbled and Samantha shot him a glare. “Just shut up”, she hissed. To her surprise, Jaylon indeed managed to stay silent, as they walked towards the Citadel.

As they came closer, Samantha couldn't help but to feel deeply impressed by the building. She had spent a majority of the past five years in the Free Cities and was used to pompous buildings, but the Citadel was almost a city within the city, crowned by two dozen towers, each of them representing a part of the Citadel. Even from afar, the tower belonging to the Archmaester of Magic was clearly distinguishable from the rest, as it was crowned with Valyrian Steel.

At the front gate, two disgruntled guards waited for them and Samantha gave Jaylon a short look. These men were part of the city guard, although they did not seem to recognize their captain. For a moment, Samantha saw something in Jaylon's eyes that made her regret taking him with them. He could sell them out now, could botch their complete plan...

The moment was gone as fast as it came. Jaylon lowered his head and avoided to look at the guards as they walked past them without any problem. At this part of the day, the Citadel was well-attended, not only by its students, but also by a multitude of visitors, merchants and even mercenaries. Their light weaponry caught no suspicion.

Shortly behind the gate, a young man was obviously expecting them. He was wearing the common brown robe of an acolyte, paired with a chain consisting of five links. His short, brown hair was in a mess and a happy smile was visible on his plain face, as he approached the group. “Sasha!”, he called and opened his arms, as if he was trying to hug her.

Sasha quickly took a step backwards, instead pushing Samantha forwards. “Harwyn”, she greeted him. “Pleasure as always” The tone in her voice clearly revealed that she wasn't too happy to meet him again, but Harwyn did not seem to mind. “Harwyn, these are Samantha and Davith”, she introduced them and shortly looked at Jaylon. “And this one is not important”

Jaylon frowned at these words, but stayed silent, as Harwyn shortly glance at him. “As you wish, Sash”, he answered and the hint of a smile on Sasha's face vanished immediately. “Don't do that”, she answered. Harwyn gave her a questioning look and Sasha let out a sigh. “Calling me Sash, I mean. I don't like that”

“It's a nickname”, Harwyn insisted and Sasha gave him a frustrated nod. “I know it's a nickname. I just don't like it. Can't be too hard to call me by my full name, right? It's just one additional letter, for fucks sake”

Harwyn slightly chuckled and gave her a bright smile. “Looks like you're in a bad mood today, Sash...a”, he grinned, before looking at Samantha. “Well, hello there”, he greeted her and Samantha gave him a nod. “Pleasure to meet you, Ser”, she greeted him back. “Samantha Ducard. I have hired Sasha and we are currently in need of your help”

The acolyte cut her off by nodding hastily. “She already told me that much and that's all I need to know. Friends of Sasha are my friends as well”, he grinned. Sasha and Samantha exchanged a quick look. “Oh, we're no friends”, Sasha was quick to add, much to Samantha's disappointment. “It's a business relationship. I get paid”

Samantha gave her a quick smirk, before Harwyn continued to speak. “You know, being business partners doesn't cancel out a friendship. I used to know this Pentoshi merchant, who was selling me...”, he started to say in a cheerful tone, before Sasha cut him off with an annoyed handwave. “Harwyn”, she said. “Just focus on leading the way, please. Bring us to Archmaester Wulvren's chambers”

Both, Samantha and Davith had to chuckle at the highly irritated look on Sasha's face, although Samantha caught Sasha slightly smirking for a second. “I already made the necessary preparations. Nobody will stop you. But I have to ask, what exactly do you want to do at the Mage's place?”, Harwyn asked, as he lead the group across the courtyard, towards the Valyrian steel-crowned tower.

“None of your business”, Samantha answered, before she noticed the expression on the young man’s face. “Sorry”, she added. “It's safer if you don't know too much” This seemed to be enough for Harwyn to understand, as he gave her an understanding smile. “I see”, he answered. “It's just, the Mage is a bit special. He takes magic way too seriously, even believes in his spells and rituals. He's not easy to get along with”

“You underestimate me”, Samantha chuckled. “I can be quite charming if the situation demands it” “I'd like to see that, perhaps once we're done here”, Davith answered and this time, it was Sasha who started to chuckle at Samantha's mildly irritated look. “What do you mean?”, she asked. “Are you.. do you...?” She cut herself off, let out a sigh and shook her head. “Focus on the mission, Davith”

With these words, they entered the tower. Even though it wasn't the highest tower Samantha had ever seen, it was the broadest, the entrance hall being big enough for a small army. And in comparison, it was one of the smaller towers of the Citadel. The hall itself was fantastic. High marble walls, big windows with green glass, a mosaic depicting a stylized greenseer of the First Men, surrounded by children of the forest. The whole scenery was completed by an eery silence, as only a small number of acolytes actually walked through the hall.

“Follow me”, Harwyn ordered them and his words were carried through the hall. A few heads turned towards the group as they made their way through, but accompanied by Harwyn, none of the acolytes tried to stop them. Perhaps none of them wanted to. Samantha's hatchets were less visible, but Sasha was openly carrying the large arakh strapped to her back, while Davith was wearing a longsword.

Lead by Harwyn, the group walked up a large, broad staircase, that apparently lead up all the way to the top of the tower, with rooms and hallways branching off of it. Samantha let out a sigh as she thought about climbing the stairs all the way to the top and for the first time since she met him, she even had the hint of pity towards Jaylon, who had to walk the same way with a wounded leg.

Thankfully, they only had to walk half of the way, when Harwyn abruptly stopped, turning to a near hallway. “The Archmaester is not in his chambers at the moment. At this part of the day, he is usually in his study, preparing all kinds of strange experiments”, he explained and walked towards a large, wooden door at the end of the hallway. “One thing is very important. Archmaester Wulvren sees his work as highly important. Do not, under any circumstances, ridicule him or his work, understood?”

Samantha gave him a reassuring nod. “Understood”, she answered, before looking at Sasha and Davith. “You ready?”, she asked. Her companions nodded and Sasha looked at Harwyn. “Thank you for the help”, she said and sounded genuine. A smile appeared on Harwyn's face, as he slowly backed off. “As always, it has been a pleasure. We really need to meet up soon”, he said with a hopeful tone in her voice. Sasha gave him a friendly smile and slowly shook her head. “Don't press your luck”, she answered, as Harwyn turned around and walked down the hallway.

For a moment, Samantha just wanted to enter the room, but she managed to stop herself and knocked at the door instead. For a moment, she heard nothing, before a young, male voice sounded. “The Archmaester asks what you want”

Samantha exchanged a glance with Sasha, before she answered. “We're friends of Leonard Constantine and we are looking for a young acolyte who is name Dairon”, she called. For a moment too long, there was only silence, before the voice sounded again. “Here is n... no one who goes by that name”

Samantha let out a sigh and rolled with her eyes. She tensed up as she felt Davith's hand on her shoulder. “Time to prove how charming you can be, mylady”, he chuckled and she anxiously shook his hand off, before moving her own towards the doorknob. As she tried to open the door, she noticed that it was locked. Of course...

“Go away”, a second, far older, but also way sharper voice sounded. “You are interrupting a highly important ritual. If it's something important, come back later” So, that had to be the Archmaester of Magic... Samantha knocked at the door once more. “Archmaester Wulvren, I presume. Please, we want to talk to Dairon”

For a moment she heard muffled voices, apparently arguing. “Well, but my new assistant does not want to talk to you”, the Archmaester called through the door. “So, do us all a favour and leave, instead of wasting your time here”

Yeah, that was not an option... Samantha took a step away from the door and looked at Sasha and Davith. Sasha raised her hands and shrugged. “Don't look at me, I already brought you here. Perhaps you can just explain it to him through the door”, she suggested. “And scream it through the whole tower in the process”, Jaylon added and earned himself a surprisingly not angry glare from Sasha. “As much as I hate to agree with Jaylon, he got a point here”, she admitted. “But if you don't want to leave, this is the only way I see”

“Perhaps not”, Davith interjected and he gave Samantha a charming smirk. “I know how to pick a lock and I always have the necessary tools with me” Samantha raised an eyebrow in return, as she looked at the heavy lock. “Where have you learned how to pick a lock?”, she asked. Davith chuckled warmly. “You learn a few tricks at the city guard. So, shall I?”

“And anger the Archmaester in the process...”, Jaylon mumbled, which caused Davith to give him a livid glare. “You have anything important to add, Jaylon?”, he growled and Jaylon gave him a nod. “I point out the flaws in your plans. Anyway, the decision lies with our leader. And if leaving is no option for you, then you better decide for the less horrible plan”

[Wait until someone leaves the room] [Try to negotiate with the Archmaester] [Order Davith to pick the lock]

• (Order Davith to pick the lock)

Samantha The small group made their way through the lively streets of Oldtown. Jaylon had been remarkably silent, still angry that Samant

• [Order Davith to pick the lock]

Samantha The small group made their way through the lively streets of Oldtown. Jaylon had been remarkably silent, still angry that Samant

• [Wait until someone leaves the room] Last time we were impatient we learned a secret so let's just be patient.

• [Wait until someone leaves the room]

Wulvren! I think he'd be more helpful when he's finished his experiment

• [Wait until someone leaves the room] This seems like the reasonable option.

• edited September 2015

[Order Davith to pick the lock] Is there a single Maester in this story who isn't hiding something?

"It's just one additional letter for fucks sake" aww... XD Sasha was cute in this part.

Was Davith flirting with Sam?

• [Wait until someone leaves the room] Wulvren seems interesting :D I wouldn't like to anger him so perhaps it's better to just be patient.

• edited September 2015

Was Davith flirting with Sam?

Yes, he was indeed at least trying to flirt with her, which caught her completely off guard.

AgentZ46 posted: »

[Order Davith to pick the lock] Is there a single Maester in this story who isn't hiding something? "It's just one additional letter for fucks sake" aww... XD Sasha was cute in this part. Was Davith flirting with Sam?

• edited September 2015

[Wait until someone leaves the room] Eh, no need in getting in trouble by picking a lock or anything. I'm just going to call it now, weather or not it happens, Sam and Sasha are totally going to get together.

Great part as always!

• I want her to go off on him and just screw his mojo up.

Was Davith flirting with Sam? Yes, he was indeed at least trying to flirt with her, which caught her completely off guard.

• [Try to negotiate with the Archmaester]

• I wonder what will happen when he realizes that Samantha isn't interested in men.

I want her to go off on him and just screw his mojo up.

• Man was I away for long time :P

Glad to finally see the Greyjoys in action. So far I'm fairly pleased with the way they're written and looking forward to see them kicking some ass

Anyways I guess I've got some reading to do then...I'm happy to see that you're still writing it so good luck with the rest of the story man!

• edited September 2015

Welcome back, Upshaw! Awesome to see you back here :D

Glad to finally see the Greyjoys in action. So far I'm fairly pleased with the way they're written and looking forward to see them kicking some ass

I'm glad to hear that! Damon and Kyra have been my favourite new characters to write about in this chapter, together with the new PoV character Raenna, who is just a pleasure to write stuff for, so I am glad that you like the way they are written so far. Personally, I'm especially pleased with how Damon turned out, but Kyra's time to shine will come. And wait until you see some of the stuff I have planned for them. I can reveal, both are going to kick a lot of ass :D

Anyways I guess I've got some reading to do then...I'm happy to see that you're still writing it so good luck with the rest of the story man!

Yeah, I see you have missed some huge plot twists in the story (coughButterflycough), but it is great that you are back. And no worries, I have no plans to stop writing anytime soon, no matter how long it will take me to reach the end of the story. In fact, I even have big plans for far later parts of the story and there's just no way I'm not going to write them down :)

Upshaw posted: »

Man was I away for long time :P Glad to finally see the Greyjoys in action. So far I'm fairly pleased with the way they're written and lo

Sign in to comment in this discussion.