Q&A With the Team

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I just saw an article about Monkey Island on http://www.geekologie.com/2009/06/new_monkey_island_game_coming.php

I'm pleased to say that not only did I already know about this, but I preordered the series last night. I'm really looking forward to this.

I've heard people talking about it on some smaller internet communities but I just assumed nothing would come of it.

I'm aware of the monkey island series but I've not played any, considering I wasn't properly sentient to good games when they came out, so is there anyway I can play them on my current computer?
  • edited June 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    And yeah, Michael Land's working on the music!

So, Mr Land is working on both your game, and the Special Edition?

But are the music kept separate?

I saw in a video that the Special Edition is getting real live instruments recorded for the soundtrack... god, I want that on a CD!

Pretty pirates please?
  • edited June 2009
    I think he'll be busy scoring something that rhymes with schmam and schmax schmeasson schmee
    *faints*

np: Deadbeat - Cause For Hope (Wild Life Documentaries)
  • edited June 2009
    WhyMrPink: This is a good place to start http://scummvm.org/ ;)
  • edited June 2009
    eobet wrote: »
    So, Mr Land is working on both your game, and the Special Edition?
    In the interview for the SE it was LA's Jesse Harlin talking about the music, so I think he's in charge of the re-recordings.
  • seanvanamanseanvanaman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    I have another question for the devs, actually. Since Sam & Max Season 2, there has been a development structure at Telltale where there's a different lead designer for every episode. Considering the fact that the overarching story is much more important now, how has this process been changed?

Yes, the overarching story for TMI is much more important than it was in say SM and definitely in WG or SBCGFAP. On Tales, Mike Stemmle and Mark Darin are essentially the series leads -- they toiled over the season-wide story before designing a single puzzle. They're the vision holders for the series as a whole.

Joe Pinney and I are coming in on the third episode (he's the official Designer, I'm the official Writer, but we're pretty much sharing the entire load) and while we've got a quite a bit of freedom over the puzzles and moment-to-moment happenings of episode 3, we already knew what major things needed to occur in the episode coming in -- thanks to M&M's rad series outline. We work with Mike and Mark daily to make sure the tone of the episode is right, we're getting the stuff in we need, and threading in any foreshadowing or story elements that need to happen.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    I'd like to know, do you guys think the complete season will measure up to the size / difficuly / epic nature of the previous games?

Or do you see TFMI as like a TV spin off to a movie franchise?

I suspect the latter, but no complaints form me!

That's probably impossible to say until we're done and can look at the whole thing. There will probably be fewer locations than previous Monkey Island games (but probably a few more than the average Telltale game), but whether or not the actual events feel more as epic and difficult... it's basically up to us to not screw it up at this point. :)
    Vodiara wrote: »
    Will there be any plot or dialogue reffers to previous game?:)

There will be callbacks and continuity which fans will recognize, but it's nothing so extreme that a new player couldn't enjoy it, too. In other words, same as it ever was.
  • edited June 2009
    In the interview for the SE it was LA's Jesse Harlin talking about the music, so I think he's in charge of the re-recordings.

Yes, the music is pretty much all composed already, just needs some reorchestration (and a simply one at that, I reckon), so I would assume they don't really need to bring Michael Land back for the special edition
  • edited June 2009
    Will each chapter display the title screen with the music featured in every Monkey Island when a new part begins?
  • edited June 2009
    Will there be any stump jokes? :p
  • edited June 2009
    Sorry to ask this, but I'm lazy to find out if you've already answered somewhere else in this ocean of posts. Will there be italian subtitles, as in W&G?
  • edited June 2009
    Here's a quote answering that -
    It's a near certainty that the game will be localized into other languages eventually, but the release on July 7th will be English language only (though anyone in the world can buy it of course!).
  • edited June 2009
    Merkel wrote: »
    Yes, the music is pretty much all composed already, just needs some reorchestration (and a simply one at that, I reckon), so I would assume they don't really need to bring Michael Land back for the special edition

Ooops. Guess I have to pester Lucasarts about a new soundtrack CD then. :)
  • edited June 2009
    Important question alert! I haven't read the entire thread yet, so if it's a repeat, sorry.

Has the entire dev team played all the MI games? I just want reassurance that they know exactly what they are getting into :)
  • EricPEricP Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    and I think he'll be busy scoring something that rhymes with schmam and schmax schmeasson schmee

Oh man! We're making Jam and Trax's Treason Spree??! Finally!! I knew all my emails and petitions would pay off.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2009
    SRTie4k wrote: »
    Important question alert! I haven't read the entire thread yet, so if it's a repeat, sorry.

Has the entire dev team played all the MI games? I just want reassurance that they know exactly what they are getting into :)

Oh yes! Many many times! In fact, several members of the team have worked on previous Monkey Island games as well! From the designers, to the writers, artists and animators, we are all well steeped in Monkey Island goodness!
    edited June 2009
    EricP wrote: »
    Oh man! We're making Jam and Trax's Treason Spree??! Finally!! I knew all my emails and petitions would pay off.

SWEET! I loved Jam and Trax's Decent Shoes I sure hope Treason Spree is just as good!
  • edited June 2009
    hey there glorious telltale team which gave us the Sam and Max series and is currently working on Tales of Monkey island!!!

did I mention that I really really love you?
  • edited June 2009
    I read in a TTG interview that Ron Gilbert himself might be answering some questions on the forums. Will he have his own thread (in the same vein as Dominic Armato)? When do you think that might happen?
  • edited June 2009
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    SWEET! I loved Jam and Trax's Decent Shoes I sure hope Treason Spree is just as good!
    Oh, man, they're still milking the Jam & Trax license? I was looking forward to Wham! Attacks Bees in Trees, with full keyboard control of George Michael & Andrew Ridgeley.

Telltale used to be so cool. Guess you gotta go after those console dollars.
  • edited June 2009
    Ry Guy wrote: »
    You bet! Just wait and see what can be dark and spooky and smell of corn chowder.

Hot damn!

Think about it: one of the most enchanting things about the POTC ride is that it's all a nocturne. You leave the daytime world behind and go into this dark mysterious place with flickering lamps and lit windows and fireflies playing. And then it rapidly gets darker and more mysterious.

I didn't loathe EMI as much as some people here, but I found the sunlit glare of Jambalaya Island really repellent. Unlike all the other MI locations, I felt no desire to linger in that world and look at the details-- just do the puzzles and get the hell out of there. It felt like an intrusion from some other game. Take a leaf from A Vampyre Story's book and give us some night!

And points to Telltale for giving its characters living faces with moving eyes! Another creepy thing about EMI was the way Guybrush was reduced to a little blank-eyed wooden doll. He looks great in TMI.
  • edited June 2009
    This is a minor question, but will we be able to turn off the smelly, green, voodoo-cursed hand smokey effect thing that followed Guybrush around? I kinda found it destracting and it made the card from the sock diffcult to read (IMO).
    Unless of course its not the final effect. In which case i grovellingly withdraw my question, m'lud. :)
  • edited June 2009
    I just want to say that I'm in heaven.

I couldn't even imagine that I would see a new (or two) MI game this far. Oh God, I still have nightmares were I exchange all those floppy discs scene after scene, just for some disk to fail me and I need to start again.

And I'm even more happy to be able to be here, posting and reading this forum. Now I'm part of the MI story - it's like a dream come true. Thanks guys!
  • edited June 2009
    Chuck wrote: »

Don't let it get to you man. That's just the internet being the internet.;)
  • edited June 2009
    I don't mind Telltale releasing games for consoles at all, the bigger the audience, the better.

As long as they don't sacrifice the PC versions in order to do so, but they haven't done so yet... even though I don't like their new control scheme, I really don't think they put that in there because of their console versions, like some people seem to think.

So as long as the PC versions remain top quality, as they have so far, I say go for it (yeah, I grant you my full permission! :p) :D
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    This is a minor question, but will we be able to turn off the smelly, green, voodoo-cursed hand smokey effect thing that followed Guybrush around? I kinda found it destracting and it made the card from the sock diffcult to read (IMO).
    Unless of course its not the final effect. In which case i grovellingly withdraw my question, m'lud. :)

It's exploding way out of control in the E3 footage. Pretend its really at about 1/10th that level of bright-in-your-face-explosionness. Subtlety! The one in the E3 footage is basically a proof of concept.
  • edited June 2009
    Speaking of the E3-demo, one game I was reminded of (next to CMI, which I think is the Monkey Island it looks like the most - in the demo part at least) was Zelda: Wind Waker. The second island you visit in that one (Windfall Island? I can't remember, it's been too long) really came to mind upon seeing Flotsam Island. I don't know why, I guess it's the sunny, tropical Island-harbor setting, the cartoony atmosphere and the design (big, brightly colored surfaces, stuff like that). Was Wind Waker an influence here, or am I just rambling?
  • edited June 2009
    KB57 wrote: »
    Hot damn!

Think about it: one of the most enchanting things about the POTC ride is that it's all a nocturne. You leave the daytime world behind and go into this dark mysterious place with flickering lamps and lit windows and fireflies playing. And then it rapidly gets darker and more mysterious.

I didn't loathe EMI as much as some people here, but I found the sunlit glare of Jambalaya Island really repellent. Unlike all the other MI locations, I felt no desire to linger in that world and look at the details-- just do the puzzles and get the hell out of there. It felt like an intrusion from some other game. Take a leaf from A Vampyre Story's book and give us some night!

And points to Telltale for giving its characters living faces with moving eyes! Another creepy thing about EMI was the way Guybrush was reduced to a little blank-eyed wooden doll. He looks great in TMI.

AMEN!! You encapsulated exactly what I loved about MI 1&2, and what I didn't like about EMI (gives me a headache just to think about it).
  • edited June 2009
    Wow, as a fan of Monkey Island from the very first one and after the mild disappointments of EFMI (Though, I thought the explanations for Herman Toothrot really brought the story together more personally.) I never thought the day would come when we'd finally get a new one. Especially with how holed up LucasArts was about not making any Non-Star Wars games and not selling off their IPs. So thank you Telltale... Thank you so much for bringing THE Premiere Adventure game back to the people.

Even though it's been asked before, I've still seen no answer... No Earl Boen? That'll be a major disappointment, especially since Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition does, in fact, have him.

Secondly, Will there be more fourth wall breaking humor? Pokes at LucasArts having their grubby hands over everything?

I think that's about it for now. New Monkey Island! It's finally happening!
  • edited June 2009
    Arr, a pirate I was meant to be, me hearties.

Looking forward to the series, I'm confident Telltale will do a terrific job.

Congrats everyone, and keep it up :)
  • edited June 2009
    afcarv wrote: »
    Arr, a pirate I was meant to be[...]
    Trim the sails and roam the sea!
  • edited June 2009
    I just want to say that I'm glad LucasArts finally realized that intellectual property isn't worth anything unless you do something with it, and I'm glad they chose your shop to do it. Adventure games languished for quite a while, but now that all the people who grew up playing them are adults with jobs and disposable income, I hope we'll see more of this sort of thing.
  • edited June 2009

Don't make me pull out the oranges, pal.

So, LeChuck seems to be of the Zombie variety here. Is that how you're keeping him for this series? Or is he still doing that zany back-and-forth thing from EMI?

I'd ask if we're going to see any new incarnations, but really, after Ghost, Zombie, Demon and Stone Giant, not many places left to go...
  • edited June 2009
    Chuck wrote: »
    Oh, man, they're still milking the Jam & Trax license? I was looking forward to Wham! Attacks Bees in Trees, with full keyboard control of George Michael & Andrew Ridgeley.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Classic :)
    edited June 2009
    Winther wrote: »
    Don't make me pull out the oranges, pal.

So, LeChuck seems to be of the Zombie variety here. Is that how you're keeping him for this series? Or is he still doing that zany back-and-forth thing from EMI?

I'd ask if we're going to see any new incarnations, but really, after Ghost, Zombie, Demon and Stone Giant, not many places left to go...

He'll have a couple of different states as the season progresses, but he n longer seems to have the ability to do that "Zany back and forth thing". We have already anounced that you be seeing a
    Human LeChuck
    at some point, but you'll have to stay tuned to see exactly what that means! ;)
  • edited June 2009

Bill: To fight us off ye don't need guns!
    Edward:Just really good ear plugs!
  • edited June 2009
    ca0f4036818569c44c33be9ad46e112f.gif

We will fight you in the harbor
    We will battle you on land
    But when you meet singing pirates...

Guybrush: ... they'll be more than you can stand! :rolleyes:
    Bill: Oh, that was a good one! :)
    Guybrush: No, it wasn't. :mad:
  • edited June 2009
    Guybrush: Stop! Stop! Stop!
    Bill: The brass is what we'll polish and the deck is what we'll mop.

Guybrush: You say you're nasty pirates...
    Guybrush: ...scheming, thieving, bad bushwhackers?
    Guybrush: From what I've seen I tell you...
    Guybrush: ...you're not pirates! You're just slackers!
  • edited June 2009
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    He'll have a couple of different states as the season progresses, but he n longer seems to have the ability to do that "Zany back and forth thing". We have already anounced that you be seeing a
    Human LeChuck
    at some point, but you'll have to stay tuned to see exactly what that means! ;)

Wasnt he in
    Human form
    in
    MI4

lol this spoiler code is awesome
  • edited June 2009
    hamzie wrote: »
    Wasnt he in
    Human form
    in
    MI4

lol this spoiler code is awesome

That was more of a disguise (perhaps a transformation-based disguise, but still) than a form.
This discussion has been closed.