Interactive Fanfiction: The Road Ahead.

Comments

• edited July 2020

Episode One- The Journey Ahead [part 1]

_Sometimes, when we glimpse back at who we were, we wonder not what caused us to grow and change into the people we are today, but reminisce about the people we once were; and can never be again _

Today I feel fucked. Fucked over mentally specifically. I've never felt like I was particularly the brightest but looking back my midterm grade in my intro to physics course has given me the full realization that I, Rachel Ramos, was a complete and utter failure.

As soon as I open the door of my apartment I'm greeted with the smell of skunk. Selena and Zaphaeus are on the couch together, just listening to some slow and moody old time song. I think it's Maybe by Janis Joplin.

"You're sad I know it. What's wrong" Selena asks,

"Jeez, you're incredibly good at reading people whenever you smoke." I grab the unlit blunt and reach for the lighter.

"Rachel's getting high with us!" They both say in unison in glee.

"I think I need it after today." I inhale deeply and try not to cough.

" What happened?" Zapaheus asks.

"Um, well where do I begin... Last night I had a dream you and my physics professor were at the beach, and you guys were attacked by a shark. Not even in the water may I add, it came up to the sand and ate your faces."

"What the fuck!" Zapaheus looks humorously appalled. "Why does everything bad happen to me in your dreams?"

"I guess it's because you're a clumsy doof in the real world, Zee." Selena smirks. Zaphaeus was clumsy in the real world, yes I will admit. But a doof? Zaphaeus was one of the smartest guys I knew. Annoyingly smart in the way that he doesn't have to study or even show up to class to know it all, his brain was just a sponge for knowledge. That is Selena's humor though, she loves to roast, and in return she loves when someone can roast her back.

"I for one love the creativity and insight your dreams give me of your subconscious." Selena laughs. "Makes me feel like we're your therapist and I'm about to tell you the meaning of life but I guess that's the psychologist in me." she giggles.

"Well it will be great practice for when you're a licensed therapist." Zee says. "Just don't end up having sex with one of your patients and losing it."

"You're really gonna go there? He wasn't even a real patient it was for a class video on ettiequte and he was pretending to be a patient at a psych ward and then after the project was over he invited me over and one thing led to another!"

I let out a belly laugh. I couldn't control it. It was a long uncontrollable belly laugh where the more you suppress it, the harder you laugh. I felt loose and comfortable and perfectly comfortable on this couch. I'm not even sure why I was upset previously anymore. I finally surpassed it by burying my head in a pillow.

"Uh-oh, looks like someone's a light weight." Selena grabs the blunt from my fingers and puts it around her lips before passing it to Zee. "Shit what time is it?"

"6:15." Zapaheus says.

"Fuuck," She groans. "I have to be at work in thirty minutes. "I'm gonna go change" Selena leaves the room and heads into our bedroom we share. She hated her job as a waitress and always talked about quitting everyday but she never did, I don't know much about her home life because she's never opened up to me about it so I decided not to but it must be for tuition.

"Well I think I should be getting over back home I guess." Zaphaeus pats himself off and stands up and heads for the door. "I have to work at the chem lab tomorrow, and I guess I should head to the library at least for a little while."

"Wow, so I guess I'm alone just as soon as I get back huh?" I roll my eyes.

"Get a job, girl" Selena says from our room.

"I do, I work in the library ten hours a week but you're never there so I guess you'd never know!"

"We love you Rachel!" They say as they head out the door. Selena runs out the apartment still tying her apron and her shoes not fully on.

The door shut. The smell of skunk still lingered and the next song was playing on the radio, Tango in the night by Fleetwood Mac. I was back alone. I always hated being alone, something about it always did something to me. I don't know if I felt more myself or less myself but I didn't like it. I was bored and felt purposeless, I guess I've been feeling purposeless for awhile now. Not around Selena or Zee but in general yeah, I think I did. Around those two I feel like I'm in a good place, but when it comes to others, I have a strange time opening up. Well I'm not going to let it ruin my high. I close my eyes and listen to the solo guitar riff of the song. I curl up on the couch and fall asleep.

1:15 A.M

The sounds of chaos woke me up, not my alarm. I hear an alarm. Though it's not a fire alarm. The sirens are long and not sharp. I look out my window. It's hard to see, it's pitch black and none of the lights are on. I reach to turn on my lamp, it doesn't work either. With the noise and the darkness, I can't see much, but I do feel something. Chaos. I pull out my phone, and turn on the flashlight. I open my window and shine a flashlight. There's at least a dozen grown adults banging around the front to get inside. The doors are locked and secured so they can't. My heart drops, is this a planned mass shooting? A terrorist attack? They're not using guns. My phone lights up, I don't have service but despite this I'm getting messages.

Message one: Text sent at 9:43 P.M -Mom

Rachel it's mom, are you alright the news says that theres been hundred of attacks all over the country recentley. Just tell me if you're okay.

Message two: Text sent at 11:57 P.M -Selena

Rachel are you ok? I'm holed up at the diner, if your okay just try to make it here, you go on Lincoln street and take about half a mile, it should be the first place on the left.

Message three: Text sent at 12:01 A.M -Zaphaeus

"Rachel I'm stuck in the library. There's some psychos trying to get in, they're trying to eat people. Please come quick."

Zaphaeus is okay too, but for how long, where do I go?

[Go to the Restaurant.]

[Go to the Library.]

Hey guys! Nobody is probably reading this but I think I'm going to edit past parts to make them better!

• [Go to the Restaurant.]

TWD_25 posted: »

Episode One- The Journey Ahead [part 1] _Sometimes, when we glimpse back at who we were, we wonder not what caused us to grow and change

• Good so far :), Go to the restaurant, because the library sounds risky

• [Go to the Library.]

He needs our help.

Episode One- The Journey Ahead [part 1] _Sometimes, when we glimpse back at who we were, we wonder not what caused us to grow and change

• [Go to the restaurant], it sounds safer

I like it so far. Thanks for introducing Selena :D

• [Go to the Library.]

• [Go to the restaurant] it's better.

• [Go to the library]

• I sent in my character ; Barry :D im excited for this haha

• Submitted. Hopefully it worked

• Did you get my character? :(

submitted hope you guys dig evan

• edited July 2014

I updated the list that should be all of them. And did you say you were fine with Evan being a villain? (he probably won't be anyways)

Did you get my character?

• edited July 2014

Sorry for my objection, but it seems that Selenas brother Tony is missing from the list. Did you got him or did something went wrong with my submission?

I updated the list that should be all of them. And did you say you were fine with Evan being a villain? (he probably won't be anyways)

• Oh yeah sorry, I don't know what I was thinking he's on the list now.

Sorry for my objection, but it seems that Selenas brother Tony is missing from the list. Did you got him or did something went wrong with my submission?

• Oh ya I'm totally fine if he becomes evil

Oh yeah sorry, I don't know what I was thinking he's on the list now.

• go to the library

• Go to the library.

Did you get my character, Samuel Mason, sorted out?

• edited July 2014

No I still haven't gotten Samuel & Kieran sorted out, I don't know who's who. So you'll have to resubmit.

Go to the library. Did you get my character, Samuel Mason, sorted out?

• Voting is Closed. Rachel will [Go to the library.]

• Releasing part 2 today soon, expect some new characters

• Okay, my computer shut down. Luckily I saved most of it to Microsoft.

Releasing part 2 today soon, expect some new characters

• Thanks for accepting my character! (Lucas Jackson)
    Much appreciated, the first chapter is pretty great. ^.^

• edited July 2014

Episode One- The Journey Ahead [Part 2/5]

You chose to go to the library.

It was tough decision, but Zaphaeus needed me & Selena could take care of herself. I picked up my Backpack that was lying on the floor and dumped out all my school supplies. I opened the door as quietly as I could those things could hear noise, It was dark and hard to see without any lights but I could still make it out of here by memory.

Jesus, poor girl. I thought as I saw a dead girl with her guts lying on the floor as one of those things proceeded to eat it. I felt like throwing up. She probably tried to escape as soon as she could and was eaten, probably happened to a lot of people, I left a little later than everyone else did so it was actually empty for the most part. I made way through that dead girl and limper without drawing attention to myself. I made my way down the stairs, it was weird that I never once walked down these stairs this late at night, and it seemed eerie.

"Aaughh!--" I yelled out as one of those things had grabbed me by the back of my hoodie. i could hear it's bloodcurdling moans as it reached in for my neck. I immediately used threw it over the rail of the stairs. I don't know what came over me.

I felt an immense amount of guilt run through my body. I wish I hadn't have done that, even if they were killers. I ran down those three flights of stairs. I saw the one that I just killed. It looked like he landed on his head. I ran out the dormitory trying to get out as fast I could. I could hear someone screaming from upstairs and than it was just cut off, the bloodcurdling moans on the other hand, were still there & getting louder.

As I got to the outside there were still hundreds of those things walking around. It looked worse than outside my window. I could still probably navigate myself to the library though, it was only a couple of minutes from where I was.

The people who were still alive were reeking havoc as much as those things were, I looked in horror as I saw some people get trampled to death by there fellow students trying to get out of there as fast as they could. I tried to stay as quiet as possible to avoid the danger.This big guy tackled me out of his way, stomping on my leg. I hit my head on the hard paved cement. I felt disoriented, like I was just hit by a baseball bat in the side of the head. One of those things fell on top of me and grabbed hold of me. I couldn't fight back, it was like my brain wasn't thinking straight.

This is the end I thought as I closed my eyes finally giving in to what's going to come next.

I heard gunshots firing, bullet holes filled that monsters head multiple times. I saw a shadowy figure emerge as it reached out for my hand. I grabbed his hand as he pulled me up

"Thanks." I said gasping for air. The man wore a beanie and was well into 30's, he was about my height at 5'10 and he wore a brown jacket with a white t-shirt underneath, he had grey eyes just like mine. "What are those things?" I asked him

"I call them biters... They bite, I like to keep things simple'' He chuckled.

"I'm heading to the library to get my friend he needs me. You can come too.. It's the least I could do for you saving my life." I said trying to help him out.

"What's your name?'' he was trying to change the subject.

"Rachel, you?''

"Issac." he said. "The library's not a bad idea, how much further?'' He asked.

"Just ahead." I pointed out. I kept turning my head trying to look for any more of those monsters, the streets were still full of chaos but it wasn't so bad as when I was alone.

"Shit." Isaac said, there were probably a dozen of those things trying to get in through the front door of the library.

"There's a back door behind I think." My head was still throbbing and I was limping on my leg.

"There's a lock but I think I can bust it" Isaac aimed his gun and shot it. It popped open.

We entered the back door and Isaac pushed a bookshelf in front of the door so none of the biters could enter even with a busted lock. We walked up to the front, It was dark here also, but there were some candles that looked like they were recently lit here.

"Hello? Zaphaeus?'' I called out. It was hard to see here. I looked around the bookshelves touching all the Books with my fingers. This library was huge. As I turned the corner to look, a sharp knife was aimed torward my throat.

"Who's there!? A man asked that definitely wasn't Zaphaeus, this guys voice was a lot deeper and sounded more authoritative. He was really tall and had broad shoulders.

"James?" A little girl probably 10 or 11 was holding a candle that shined brightly against her face. She had a thin pale face with a few freckles popping up on her face and greenish blue eyes. She had straight silvery brown hair neatly tied up in a ponytail. I couldn't see the rest of her body but I could make out her pink jacket said N.C STATE.

"Cynthia, what are you doing? I told you to stay in my sight." Said a frustrated male voice with blonde hair covered in a red hat and blue hoodie with eyes the same color of Cynthia. He held a candle also that revealed more people, one of them being Zaphaeus.

"Woah, woah. Easy James she's alright, I know her." Zaphaeus smiled. "Thanks for showing up. Who's this? What the hell happened to your head?" I had no idea what he was talking about, I haven't seen a mirror since this started.

"Settle down now it's only a little bruised." A short and skinny man walked up and grabbed the candle from the guy that barked at Cynthia. "Hmmm. You might have a concussion-''

"Well what the fuck are we gonna do?" Asked the man with the red baseball cap.

"Settle down now Matthew. We can stay here till' morning. Let her rest it out." Matthew looked fairly upset

"Cynthia and I aren't gonna stay here all goddamn night. It's too dangerous."

"I also injured my leg." I add on

"Was she bit?" I hear a voice ask, it was a tall woman with long blonde hair with a few curls and green eyes & a face just a little darker than Cynthia's.

"No, no she was just stepped on by some asshole." Isaac exclaims

"And the question goes back to who the hell are you?" Zephaeus asks fairly annoyed. He's not usually like this.

"I'm just the guy that saved her goddamn life!" Isaac yells back.

"STOP FIGHTING!" I yell out. "You're scaring your goddamn daughter!" I point to Matthew and he looks at Cynthia who has started to cry. "And no I was not bit. Thank you very much." A wave of silence fell.

"Is she always such a bitch?" Whispered James to the blonde haired woman after about a minute of silence.

"If she says she wasn't than she wasn't. I'm sorry we're kind of a mess, my name's Bridgit." The woman said, she was slightly older than me and about my height. "Who the hell is guarding the front anyways?" Bridgit asks. "Relax, I got my dad on it right now." Replies James. "Dude. Milfred's like 80 years old! Why the hell is he guarding?" Bridgit asks. "Because he's the one with the rifle. Besides you saw him shoot that Crawler off you from 200 yards away. And he's 60 he just looks bad for his age" James makes a smirk. Bridgit tries to be serious but starts laughing.

"You guys, come quick!" An old voice says that's probably Milfred. "Oh shit! Biters coming in! Get the guns!" James says.

"Here Rachel you're gonna need one of these. It's a whole new world now" Zaphaeus says. I knew he'd have some weapons on him.

[Choose Bow & Arrow] [Choose Dagger] [Choose sword] [Choose gun]
    (Small choice but whichever one she chooses will be her signature weapon this season.)

I picked up the weapon. Matthew yelled at me. "What? No you're hurt go up to the 2nd floor and if anything happens please take care of Cynthia." I heard the plea in his voice to watch out for her.

[Go protect Cynthia] [Fight the Biters off with the rest of the group]

Thank God I'm done with this part. It took forever! I was getting really lazy at the end and my writing felt like it got pretty bad. I'm sorry I'll probably edit it to make it better in the morning.

• Thanks! I'll try to get him up soon!

Thanks for accepting my character! (Lucas Jackson) Much appreciated, the first chapter is pretty great. ^.^

• [Choose Bow & Arrow] [Go protect Cynthia], Good chapter!

• [Choose sword] [Go protect Cynthia]

• [Choose Bow & Arrow]

[Go protect Cynthia]

Episode One- The Journey Ahead [Part 2/5] You chose to go to the library. It was tough decision, but Zaphaeus needed me & Selena c

• Same!

[Choose Bow & Arrow] [Go protect Cynthia]

• [Choose Gun] [Fight the Biters off with the rest of the group]

• [Choose Bow & Arrow]

[Go protect Cynthia]

Also, did you get my character, Bianca?

Episode One- The Journey Ahead [Part 2/5] You chose to go to the library. It was tough decision, but Zaphaeus needed me & Selena c

• Choose Bow and Arrow, Go protect Cynthia

• [Choose sword]
    [Go protect Cynthia]

• [Choose bow and arrow and go protect Cynthia.] I submitted Margareth and Eddard, I hope you saw them

• [Choose sword] [Go protect Cynthia]

• [Choose sword]

[Go protect Cynthia]

• [Choose Dagger]
    [Go protect Cynthia]

• I saw them, I've got some plans for them. :)

[Choose bow and arrow and go protect Cynthia.] I submitted Margareth and Eddard, I hope you saw them

• Voting is closed! Rachel will [Choose the Bow & Arrow] & [Protect Cynthia]

I'll try to get part 3 up tonight.

• Did you get Bianca? I don't see her on waiting to be introduced list.

Voting is closed! Rachel will [Choose the Bow & Arrow] & [Protect Cynthia] I'll try to get part 3 up tonight.

• edited July 2014

Yeah I got her, I just forgot but she's up now.

Pipas posted: »

Did you get Bianca? I don't see her on waiting to be introduced list.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.