Q&A With the Team

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I think it'd be more accurate (and hopefully clearer) to say that ToMI begins at the end of an imaginary MI5. That meshes better with the events as described (episode 1 apparently begins with a botched Boss Battle of sorts, setting the new plot into action) and would hopefully result in fewer people thinking that someone is going to make an MI5 to go in that gap, which is not a sensible assumption.
  • edited June 2009
    I might be the only person who got the porcelain thing, especially unglazed porcelain...uhg.
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I think it'd be more accurate (and hopefully clearer) to say that ToMI begins at the end of an imaginary MI5. That meshes better with the events as described (episode 1 apparently begins with a botched Boss Battle of sorts, setting the new plot into action) and would hopefully result in fewer people thinking that someone is going to make an MI5 to go in that gap, which is not a sensible assumption.

Yes, that's pretty much the size of it. Remember how at the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indy is retrieving an idol from this place full of boobytraps in the middle of a jungle? That's the end of some kind of big adventure, the rest of which is not told, nor do I expect it ever will be told. You just have to imagine it. "MI5" was just a convenient way for me to describe where Tales fits in, which is to say, some things happened after Escape, and they led to the beginning of Tales, but you just have to imagine everything before the climax of that adventure. No one is actually making MI5.
  • edited June 2009
    Yes, that's pretty much the size of it. Remember how at the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indy is retrieving an idol from this place full of boobytraps in the middle of a jungle? That's the end of some kind of big adventure, the rest of which is not told, nor do I expect it ever will be told. You just have to imagine it. "MI5" was just a convenient way for me to describe where Tales fits in, which is to say, some things happened after Escape, and they led to the beginning of Tales, but you just have to imagine everything before the climax of that adventure. No one is actually making MI5.

That explains things pretty well.

I figure it's a bit like CMI. Certainly a lot happened between when Guybrush and Lechuck entered the carnival and they both made their way back to Puerto Pollo, but the game never fully explains what happened in between these two events.
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    hplikelike wrote: »
    For those of us who grew up on HE, what was it like working on those games? How was the transition from a teen/adult audience to a children audience? and how did you convince people that it would make money? and how exactly did HE "die"?

Working on Pajama Sam (and Freddi Fish, which I also did once) was really fun - as was Moop and Dreadly at Hulabee a bit later (same basic set of people, different company name). I never intended to write children's games at all, by the way. I'd been freelancing around a bit, and had done some work with Ron Gilbert that was intended for Humongous's emerging grown-up division (Cavedog). He called me up one day and said, "Look, I know you don't generally do kids' games, but we've got this idea for one that's a bit weird, and I think it would be good for your sensibilities. Want to write it?" I wasn't up to anything special at that time, so I said sure, I'd give it a shot.

Pajama Sam. And it was really fun to do! I liked writing for an audience with a young sense of play. The thing to remember is that kids aren't any less intelligent than adults are, they just have less knowledge and less context for things, so you have to explain a bit more. I learned how to get puzzles to hint themselves effectively on repetition while working on those games. I have a bit of a soft spot for cuteness, and I also liked slipping in all the humor that was intended for the parents who'd be playing the games with their kids. Before I knew what was happening we'd done several more titles, and all of a sudden I was known as a children's author - which is fine, but it was a pigeonhole I was starting to feel until I hooked up with Telltale four years ago.

As for convincing people it would make money: Fortunately, I didn't have to do that. Ron did. And apparently, he did a good job. And it did make money; Humongous was doing quite well until Ron and Shelley sold the studio about five years in. That was pretty much the peak of its success. I know they even wanted to try to buy the company back at one point to try to turn it around, but wound up leaving and starting Hulabee instead.

True fact: It was Tim Schafer who suggested the name "Humongous Entertainment."
  • edited June 2009
    True fact: It was Tim Schafer who suggested the name "Humongous Entertainment."

Doesn't surprise me, he seems to be good at coming up with company names. Take Double Fine for instance.

For those that don't know where that came from I quote from the FAQ on their website:
    Where does the name “Double Fine” come from?

It comes from a sign on the Golden Gate Bridge that, until recently, said “Slow to 45 mph – Double Fine Zone.” I ingeniously selected the name Double Fine so that when people drove over the bridge they would see the name “Double Fine” and think, not just that we had purchased ad space on what must be the most expensive billboard in California, but that we owned the city and all of San Francisco had been declared to be a “Double Fine Zone.” I believe it did work for many years, confounding and intimidating our many, many foes. But for absolutely no good reason, the old sign is now flashing the less awe-inspiring message, “Speed limit 45 mph – Auto toll $5.” I mean, how are you supposed to name a game company after that? Don’t people even think these things through?
  • edited June 2009

Which means that either of them would probably have a more interesting answer to this question than I do. They came up with the basic story while I was out one week and pitched it to me when I got back (since then, of course, we have spent many many hours pounding it into a nuanced, shimmering beauty). I'm wondering what their notes from that week look like.

I do have a note from early in the story phase that reads "Touch of LeChuck" - my idea for a title, which a lot of people thought sounded too creepy so I eventually had to give it up.

A+ for "many hours pounding it into a nuanced, shimmering beauty." Exemplary work as usual Mr. Grossman. I am, however, disappointed in your colleagues decision not to use the title, "Touch of LeChuck." It would have encouraged many a parody on Youtube, I'm sure. (When zomBIES love a pirate ...!)
  • edited June 2009
    I do not recall this one ever being answered. I seem to have run out of new questions to ask, but then again, most TMI related questions should be answered in two weeks, anyway.
    mhaley wrote: »
    A few years back, there was talk about a public version of the Telltale Tool. Has there been any progress on this, or was that just a wild rumor?
  • edited June 2009
    As for convincing people it would make money: Fortunately, I didn't have to do that. Ron did. And apparently, he did a good job. And it did make money; Humongous was doing quite well until Ron and Shelley sold the studio about five years in. That was pretty much the peak of its success. I know they even wanted to try to buy the company back at one point to try to turn it around, but wound up leaving and starting Hulabee instead.

It all went a bit weird, though, as Shelley was jailed for fraud in 2005, wasn't she? A bit shocking, to say the least. Where is she now, do you know? Do her and Ron still speak? I guess that whole affair effectively killed Hulabee :(
  • edited June 2009

You could go a bit further and say "In Monkey Island 5, every single continuity error in the series is solved cleanly, flawlessly, and above all, entertainingly. Even that Herman Toothrot mess. Which means that not only will we never make Monkey Island 5, it's likely that nobody on Earth will ever be capable of making the thing."

That game's going on my non-shelf right next to Leisure Suit Larry 4 and and Space Quests VII through XII. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go watch the best film Bill Cosby ever made, Leonard Part 2.
  • edited June 2009
    lol

Imagine all the continuity errors being fixed... Then again, Voodoo makes most things possible :)
  • edited June 2009
    So... Emily... You're part of the "Team" too, right? What exactly does your job contain? What do you do on a daily basis? What are real special things you cherish in your job? Would you want to keep this job until you're ready to retire? How did you get your job at Tell Tale Games? Why did you take that job at TTG, what made you choose it? Which collueag(s) do you have to work with the most? Which of the guys/gals at TTG do you find the most funny or serious or innovative or creative, etc.? Do you have anything with gaming yourself, if so what (kind of) games (apart from The Sims maybe, judging from you avatar)? What was your first computer/video game (as far as you can remember) that you played?
  • edited June 2009
    Was the guard dressed as LeChuck at the Booty Island mansion a man or a woman? Seriously, this question has bugged me for a long time.
  • edited June 2009
    So... Emily... You're part of the "Team" too, right? What exactly does your job contain? What do you do on a daily basis? What are real special things you cherish in your job? Would you want to keep this job until you're ready to retire? How did you get your job at Tell Tale Games? Why did you take that job at TTG, what made you choose it? Which collueag(s) do you have to work with the most? Which of the guys/gals at TTG do you find the most funny or serious or innovative or creative, etc.? Do you have anything with gaming yourself, if so what (kind of) games (apart from The Sims maybe, judging from you avatar)? What was your first computer/video game (as far as you can remember) that you played?

wtf?
  • edited June 2009
    BiggerJ wrote: »
    You could go a bit further and say "In Monkey Island 5, every single continuity error in the series is solved cleanly, flawlessly, and above all, entertainingly. Even that Herman Toothrot mess. Which means that not only will we never make Monkey Island 5, it's likely that nobody on Earth will ever be capable of making the thing."

That game's going on my non-shelf right next to Leisure Suit Larry 4 and and Space Quests VII through XII. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go watch the best film Bill Cosby ever made, Leonard Part 2.

I like that idea!
  • edited June 2009
    Is it still possible for Earl Boen to return as LeChuck?
  • edited June 2009
    wtf?

We haff vays of makink you tok, Emily! :p
  • edited June 2009
    I've just realized something. We've had the SCUMM Bar and the Lua Bar... will Tales of Monkey Island feature a bar called The Telltale Tool? It could be a pub with a hanging sign out the front in the shape of a bloodied hammer.
  • edited June 2009
    I've just realized something. We've had the SCUMM Bar and the Lua Bar... will Tales of Monkey Island feature a bar called The Telltale Tool? It could be a pub with a hanging sign out the front in the shape of a bloodied hammer.

The Tool Chest? :D
  • edited June 2009
    The Tool Chest? :D

How about "The Telltale Corner" which could be like a basement bar which is underneath a building with stairs going down to it.
  • edited June 2009
    Meh... just call it "The Tool Bar" (it's a Windows game, remember? :D) and be done with it...

np: Fink - Q & A (Sort Of Revolution)
  • edited June 2009
    Also, here's a question for the team, thus the new post:

Will there be an "Extras" page for each episode on the website, and will it also be stuck in perpetual "coming soon" status akin to both Sam & Max seasons?

(Seriously, what's up with those pages? :D)

np: Fink - Pigtails (ft. Son Of Dave) (Sort Of Revolution)
  • edited June 2009
    Leak wrote: »
    Meh... just call it "The Tool Bar" (it's a Windows game, remember? :D) and be done with it...

This could actually work. "Tool Bar" or "Tools Bar" has a nice second (or should I say third?) meaning to it, just like "SCUMM Bar". :D

Also, I have a question for the fine people at TTG: Monkey Island is a series of games known for its spoofs, humorous references, in-jokes and Easter eggs. I'd like to know how much of that kind of thing can we expect from the TOMI episodes. More specifically, are we getting anything related to Lucasfilm properties, like Star Wars and Indy (since TOMI is being developed by TTG under license from LucasArts), or, at least, to Sam & Max (now that TTG is their new home and because they have been in every MI game so far)?

I'd ask the LA guys the same thing if I had the chance. It appears that they have replaced the statue resembling our favorite pair of dog and rabbity thing for one of the equally beloved Purple Tentacle, at the entrance to the giant Monkey Head in SOMI:SE (due to their S&M license being expired and all).
  • edited June 2009

That's true. Does it also irk other people the huge Toothrot/Monkey Island crew business.. and the whole "Escape from Monkey Island" thing? Because in the SoMI, if you sunk your ship with the rock, you stranded the crew but rescued Herman, if you didn't then the crew came back with you and you stranded Herman.

As EFMI clearly points out, Guybrush apparently stranded Carla and the gang on MI (having to ESCAPE FROM MONKEY ISLAND themselves.) But when you get to Monkey Island Herman is still chilling there.

So MI4 basically assumes both or neither ending happened... which makes no sense at all.

(Also I forget whoever said it, but I also summised that Guybrush's fear of porcelain comes from his experience of being bashed over the head with that Ming vase in MI1 [or something like that])
  • edited June 2009
    I always just assumed that Herman returned to Monkey Island after dropping Guybrush off to wait for someone else to rescue him... 'cause, ya know, he's crazy like that.
  • edited June 2009
    Oh, I guess that makes sense (in a time/space paradox sense, not a logical sense). I never thought of that.
  • edited June 2009
    I always just assumed that Herman returned to Monkey Island after dropping Guybrush off to wait for someone else to rescue him... 'cause, ya know, he's crazy like that.
    If I recall correctly, this is actually supported by EMI. If you ask Herman what happened to his ship he'll remark that he sunk it since having it would undermine the whole hermit thing.
  • edited June 2009
    Don't forget that after Secret Herman was on Dinky Island spreading philosophy. And as it was established that Dinky & Monkey are connected by tunnels Herman could have easily travelled from Dinky to Monkey in time for Escape.

So the inconstancy of Herman being back on Monkey Island after being 'rescued' in Secret started in Revenge. So blame Ron Gilbert.
  • edited June 2009
    So the inconstancy of Herman being back on Monkey Island after being 'rescued' in Secret started in Revenge. So blame Ron Gilbert.

Dinky Island and Monkey Island are NOT connected in MI2. Also, Toothrot wasn't waiting to be rescued on Dinky.
  • edited June 2009
    Dinky Island and Monkey Island are NOT connected in MI2. Also, Toothrot wasn't waiting to be rescued on Dinky.

How so? I was under the impression that the tunnels connecting Dinky and Monkey the tunnels you fight LeChuck in at the end of MI2? That explains why when you leave the tunnels, you're at the carnival of the damned on Monkey Island.

Edit: Or do you mean when MI2 was made it wasn't intended for the two to be connected?
  • edited June 2009
    Romav wrote: »
    How so? I was under the impression that the tunnels connecting Dinky and Monkey the tunnels you fight LeChuck in at the end of MI2? That explains why when you leave the tunnels, you're at the carnival of the damned on Monkey Island.

Edit: Or do you mean when MI2 was made it wasn't intended for the two to be connected?
    Yah, the whole idea of 'the carnival of the damned being on Monkey Island' was added in Curse to explain the ending of Monkey Island 2, and probably wasn't what they had originally intended.
  • edited June 2009

Does Herman in MI2 make any mention of how he ended up on Dinky Island? I can't remember that part very well.
  • edited June 2009
    Dear TTG Team,

I have another question: Is THIS the way you worked with Ron Gilbert?

ronr.jpg

Not my image, I found it on worldofmi.com :p
  • edited June 2009
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    He'll have a couple of different states as the season progresses, but he n longer seems to have the ability to do that "Zany back and forth thing". We have already anounced that you be seeing a
    Human LeChuck
    at some point, but you'll have to stay tuned to see exactly what that means! ;)

Hmmm... Surely from the trailer this means the Pox of LeChuck is
    a curse that makes you speak/act like LeChuck... Whether that's LeChuck posessing Guybrush or some spell taking over the whole Caribbean?
    Hence Guybrush spouting off like LeChuck to the Voodoo Lady.

Guybrush = The mysterious "
    Human LeChuck
    "?
  • edited June 2009
    this is more of a request for the site rather than a question for the team.
    It's been awhile (or feels like it) since the launch of the TOMI site since then there's been no major updates. Is it possible to maybe update with news screenshots, some mp3's to download or even some short gameplay clips? That would be awesome. thanks
  • edited June 2009
    ^ Can't wait two more weeks, eh? :-)
  • edited June 2009
    Favorite Moment of the ENTIRE SERIES!- In SMI on monkey island at the dam- clicked on the sun by accident with 'walk to' still selected. Guybrush turns to the camera and says "oh sure, walk to the sun" ... hardest my 10year old self ever laughed!
  • edited June 2009
    PimPamPet wrote: »
    ^ Can't wait two more weeks, eh? :-)

nope :)
    internet offers me no interest in the meantime
  • edited June 2009
    Ok so my other questions were not answered so I have another, this is for Dave.

Hi Dave, huge fan :-D

QUESTION: How involved are you in the writing process? I have always found anything you were involved in as a writer to be very funny. And I was a little disappointed to discover you were not being credited as a writer on Tales, so I would be very happy to know you were at least looking over the script and adding some of the Dave Grossman funny where you can.

THANKS!
  • edited June 2009
    Hmmm, here's a quick one: How about having Stan selling different stuff in each episode? Sort of like Bosco, dressing up in different ways.
This discussion has been closed.