Q&A With the Team

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    askmeabout.jpg

I'm surprised no-one's brought up that excellent "CSS IS AWES
    OME" mug. It's kind of an obscure joke, but still.

Speaking of jokes: I'm guessing the outline of the games are written, but can you confirm or deny that the entire series is a massive setup for a pun at the conclusion of Episode 5? If not, could you do that in a future series because that would be awesome.

Edit: And why is it that Monkey Island always seems to wind up having inventory combination puzzles as a touted feature? I recall it was added to the GrimE engine for Escape as well. I'm guessing it has something to do with Monkey Island being an old adventure franchise and being pitched as more "difficult" than new franchises, kind of how Konami's Contra series is given free reign to be more difficult because of its heritage.
  • edited July 2009
    I read every pages... (quite a lot actually) and I don't have anymore question to be answered...

So, the only thing I still need to say to Telltale Games is:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Merus wrote: »
    Edit: And why is it that Monkey Island always seems to wind up having inventory combination puzzles as a touted feature? I recall it was added to the GrimE engine for Escape as well. I'm guessing it has something to do with Monkey Island being an old adventure franchise and being pitched as more "difficult" than new franchises, kind of how Konami's Contra series is given free reign to be more difficult because of its heritage.

Yeah I think it's just one of those things people associate with Monkey Island because for many people it was their first and/or favorite and/or only adventure game series from that era. People also associate "9 verbs" (or "12 verbs!") and "sentence bar" and "that little pulsing plus cursor" and "320x200" with Monkey Island as well, but inventory combination is one that actually still makes a lot of sense to put into the game this day and age. The way Guybrush typically gets himself out of situations just sort of lends itself to combining weird things with each other to produce weird results.
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah I think it's just one of those things people associate with Monkey Island because for many people it was their first and/or favorite and/or only adventure game series from that era. People also associate "9 verbs" (or "12 verbs!") and "sentence bar" and "that little pulsing plus cursor" and "320x200" with Monkey Island as well, but inventory combination is one that actually still makes a lot of sense to put into the game this day and age. The way Guybrush typically gets himself out of situations just sort of lends itself to combining weird things with each other to produce weird results.

Sort of like a Pirate McGuyver, only with more monkeys.
  • edited July 2009
    Liquid-X wrote: »
    Sort of like a Pirate McGuyver, only with more monkeys.
    ... in exchange for a Swiss Army knife. ;)
  • edited July 2009
    People have already said this, probably... but you guys are my heroes. Reviving Monkey Island was just a foolish dream to me for nine years... something to talk about when I was bored. Getting the ol' cast back together... :)
  • edited July 2009

Will there still be the verbs choices in TOMI, like being able to try to speak to inanimate objects like in the other games, and trying to pick up things that couldnt be picked up, or will you just click on something and it will automatically do an action?
  • seanvanamanseanvanaman Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    prizna wrote: »
    Will there still be the verbs choices in TOMI, like being able to try to speak to inanimate objects like in the other games, and trying to pick up things that couldnt be picked up, or will you just click on something and it will automatically do an action?

actions are automatic/contextual. there's no verbing like in the olden days. (as a designer, this makes me very thankful)

i was thinking about this the other day: you forget how many "null" responses you were willing to endure when there were only 256 colors on the screen. with the entire world of TMI alive and moving, if 75% of the things you tried resulted in guybrush doing nothing (or just shrugging his shoulders) i dont think the game would be much fun. so we try to pack in as much feedback as we can create with the single/contextual interaction you're given.
  • edited July 2009
    Many thanks from Argentina!

Monkey Island is the best Graphic Adventure of all-time. I hope you can also translate the episodes to spanish, i'll miss that voices!
  • edited July 2009
    Here's a questions, I want to work for you guys, I'm from Australia. How do i do it? :P
  • edited July 2009
    So, just picking up on some guy's worries about the dialogue choices not being exactly what Guybrush says...

it doesn't bother me so much, but I understand where he's coming from. I think it's partially because of some of the ways they used to play with dialogue choices in the old MI games...

I used to love clicking on 'I want to be a fireman' at the start of MI.. there's just something satisfying about seeing the dumb stuff you could make him say, and then watching/hearing him say it word for word. I don't know what it is.

Then the jokes like when you get to tell Governor Phatt 'I'll be back!' 'I'll be BACK!' or 'I'll BE back!' etc. Or when the game subverts this in MI3, for example, by listing all the various ways Guybrush can rudely turn down looking at pictures of the Voodoo lady's kids, and whatever you pick, the dialogue is always 'Perhaps... later.' And dozens of other examples of this sort of thing...

Of course, the different approach to dialogue in this game doesn't make such playfulness like what I've just described impossible by any means... as you said in the main forum, it's really up to whatever the situation is as to whether it's word-for-word or not...

... but when the dialogue options are somewhat abstracted from the actual dialogue itself, it makes me wonder whether those kinds of jokes will play a lesser role.

So, after all that rambling, I guess my question is: can we expect to see a similar playful and creative use of the dialogue tree system? Or do you just have absolutely no idea what I'm on about?
  • edited July 2009
    mylesb wrote: »
    Here's a questions, I want to work for you guys, I'm from Australia. How do i do it? :P

I want to work for you guys to, and im from Australia aswell.
  • edited July 2009
    I tried searching, but couldn't find anything, so I apologise if this is a repeat, but:

Will each island have it's own map? One of my favourite things about Monkey Islands was each island had a map with different places to visit on the island, and sometimes you had to do certain things to get to other parts of the map. So I'm just hoping the map is back, rather than the Sam & Max style of each episode just had one place you could go to in your car. Or is this asking too much from an episodic series?
  • edited July 2009
    The Amazer wrote: »
    I tried searching, but couldn't find anything, so I apologise if this is a repeat, but:

Will each island have it's own map? One of my favourite things about Monkey Islands was each island had a map with different places to visit on the island, and sometimes you had to do certain things to get to other parts of the map. So I'm just hoping the map is back, rather than the Sam & Max style of each episode just had one place you could go to in your car. Or is this asking too much from an episodic series?

The first episode at least does.
  • edited July 2009
    prizna wrote: »
    I want to work for you guys to, and im from Australia aswell.

I am yet another Australian who would love to work for you guys. I have industry experience as a 3d artist making iphone games. I use 3ds Max though. Not very experienced with Maya :(
  • edited July 2009
    Dears,

I still see 5 Days left (its now 9:18 am the 3rd). I'm so wondering if the worldwide release of Jul. 7 means 8th June for European time.
  • edited July 2009
    The game is released worldwide simultaneously - i.e. when Telltale has it up on its servers and posts the announcment blog/emails.

This is usually sometime in the Californian workday (9am - 5pm). Convert this to your local timezone, and please don't come on the forums complaining about it until at least after 5pm Californian time on July 7th.
  • edited July 2009
    Candyghost wrote: »
    Dears,

I still see 5 Days left (its now 9:18 am the 3rd). I'm so wondering if the worldwide release of Jul. 7 means 8th June for European time.

Says 4 days for me...
  • edited July 2009
    parabolee wrote: »
    Ok so I am confused by the questions on the name and how it relates to Monkey Island itself.

Monkey Island IS in the game is it not? It would seem strange if it wasn't in there at least as a plot device of some sort.

It probably is. Every other game has had the island, in one form or another.

Edit: Wait, WHAT? LeChuck's voice is a girl? Oh wow, talk about talent*...

*or manliness
  • edited July 2009
    As stupid as it sounds, I'm not keen on a return to the actual island if it seems forced.
  • edited July 2009
    And by the way, the island wasn't accually in MI2 exept if you count the ending, but that is only if CMI got it right.
  • edited July 2009
    Sorry if it has already been asked, but : does Telltale have plans to release the game soundtrack in the future like the two wonderful Sam & Max soundtrack CDs ?
  • edited July 2009
    but has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • edited July 2009
    hamzie wrote: »
    but has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

..... My head hurts :(

sorry
  • edited July 2009

Sorry, but I didn't got you.
  • edited July 2009
    Me .. english are hard for me but

has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • edited July 2009
    that stupid phrase, can be considered as spam, its a long sorry.....it has something to do witch 4chan and Youtube
  • edited July 2009
    Lulzies rebirth

Ye my english is awesome i was just doing it for the lulz

info here --> http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Has_anyone_really_been_far_even_as_decided_to_use_even_go_want_to_do_look_more_like%3F
  • edited July 2009
    Did it used to be funny?
  • edited July 2009
    Did it used to be funny?

Not for me. I must be too old for this.
  • edited July 2009
    Did it used to be funny?

lulz it is for the person typing it and then see people flame him for not learning english

that didnt happen here though
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Candyghost wrote: »
    Dears,

We don't know the exact time of the release right now, but we're located on the west coast of the U.S. (Pacific Time), and our releases tend to take place in the mornings in our time zone. We like to be here and awake when we release the game, both in case something goes wrong (so we can have the whole team around to fix something, and to provide tech support if we have to), and in the more usual case of something going right (so we can all celebrate the game coming out and hang out online and see the response).
  • edited July 2009
    This forum is going to be CRAZY on Tueday!

I think I may have to hold off until I've finished the episode though...
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks.

Bay the way, I just noticed I mentioned June 8th. Wish it would have been the case. :D

Anyway, take the required time and spare some chocolates or so with us when it's released (just kidding. As Having our hand on it is the biggest celebration we can have).
  • edited July 2009
    yep june 8th for me

you guys reckon this place will be dead when episode 1 comes out for a while since everyone will be playing or will people keep alt tabbing to this and go omgomg
  • edited July 2009
    yep june 8th for me

you guys reckon this place will be dead when episode 1 comes out for a while since everyone will be playing or will people keep alt tabbing to this and go omgomg

Dont you mean July 8th?
  • edited July 2009
    Nope. It came out June 8th. Didn't you get the memo? Oh wait. No. Nevermind.
  • edited July 2009
    On behalf of most of the MILegend forum (Some are still sceptical, you know how it goes), I salute you, TellTale Games!
    Not that it'll affect purchasing anymore (for obvious reasons), I have to know without ploughing through sixty pages: how does the interface work on this one? Item combination puzzles being back is a good sign (I kept trying that for ages with Sam&Max S1) and also that not all the episodes revolve around the same hub. Of course, that was used well in Sam&Max (FORCING myself not to use the acronym for that one...) but would feel very wrong in Guybrush's case.

But yeah, to echo what so many others have said - the hope of a new MI game seemed like pure folly for the last 6 years (since I played EFMI), especially with that most dreaded announcement from somebody at LucasArts saying that they wouldn't release any more adv. games until 2015...

You've made a happy guy out of me :D
  • edited July 2009
    Slanzinger wrote: »
    On behalf of most of the MILegend forum (Some are still sceptical, you know how it goes), I salute you, TellTale Games!
    Not that it'll affect purchasing anymore (for obvious reasons), I have to know without ploughing through sixty pages: how does the interface work on this one? Item combination puzzles being back is a good sign (I kept trying that for ages with Sam&Max S1) and also that not all the episodes revolve around the same hub. Of course, that was used well in Sam&Max (FORCING myself not to use the acronym for that one...) but would feel very wrong in Guybrush's case.

But yeah, to echo what so many others have said - the hope of a new MI game seemed like pure folly for the last 6 years (since I played EFMI), especially with that most dreaded announcement from somebody at LucasArts saying that they wouldn't release any more adv. games until 2015...

You've made a happy guy out of me :D

I can answer that:

There are two options - either you can control movement with keyboard with mouse for interacting with stuff (like in wallace & gromit) or there is also the option for a new control scheme which is mouse only, but slightly different to what we've seen before. Essentially it looks like it'll work like this - you hold down the mouse button and move the mouse in a direction to make guybrush turn and walk in that direction, so it's like having direct control over guybrush without having to use the keyboard.
  • edited July 2009
    inso wrote: »
    I can answer that:

There are two options - either you can control movement with keyboard with mouse for interacting with stuff (like in wallace & gromit) or there is also the option for a new control scheme which is mouse only, but slightly different to what we've seen before. Essentially it looks like it'll work like this - you hold down the mouse button and move the mouse in a direction to make guybrush turn and walk in that direction, so it's like having direct control over guybrush without having to use the keyboard.

Huh.
    I had heard about the latter, which sounds like a pseudo-joysticky thing (and also, according to Kotaku, that it was very twitchy - has that been fixed yet?) and was kinda hoping for a bit of P&C lovin'. Ah well. Will still be good.
This discussion has been closed.