Tarot cards as collectable ?

May we dream about the putting on sale of Tarot cards like we can see in the wallpaper which is won with "Treasure Hunt" ?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    We can all dream. Those cards are just awesome!
  • edited July 2009
    That would be cool, but as has been said several times, there are complications with producing merch for Monkey Island, as Lucasarts own the rights to it.
  • edited July 2009
    AAAHH! DEATH!!!
    Madamexima.png
  • edited July 2009
    The cards in the Treasure Hunt Wallpaper are simply AMAZING. My main issue with that wallpaper is the Voodoo Lady, actually. Don't get me wrong, the model is GREAT in-game. But I think there is a bit of a stylistic clash between the cards and the Voodoo Lady herself.

And to be truly on-topic, having those voodoo cards in the store or as a bonus in something like the Sam and Max Case File would be awesome.
  • edited July 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »
    That would be cool, but as has been said several times, there are complications with producing merch for Monkey Island, as Lucasarts own the rights to it.

Arrr, get your swords and let us take away this license from LucasArts!

Seriously, I have nothing against LucasArts and they are doing some new MI stuff right now (Special Edition, Merchandise), but I think Monkey Island would have a much brighter future here at Telltale than at LucasArts.
    Even if LA decides to do a completly new Monkey Island game after the success of Tales (at least I hope it'll be a huuuge success), the real masterminds are here, not there.

To say something more on-topic: Yeah, those cards would be nice, as would any MI merchandise.
  • edited July 2009
    I at least hope for a poster.
  • edited July 2009
    Maybe I'm saying something stupid, but the artists who did the designs for these tarot cards are Telltale staff, right?
    So I think you should be able to sell these card on your store if there's no explicit Monkey Island reference on them (even if WE know they are Monke Island-related)
  • edited July 2009
    Maybe I'm saying something stupid, but the artists who did the designs for these tarot cards are Telltale staff, right?
    So I think you should be able to sell these card on your store if there's no explicit Monkey Island reference on them (even if WE know they are Monke Island-related)
    They were created for the Monkey Island franchise under license from LucasArts. I'm not sure if it falls under "commission work" or how it is legally defined, but I'm pretty sure that they couldn't sell merchandise related to the game without LucasArts approval.

Whatever the case, I know it's not as simple as walking up to Steve Purcell and saying "Hey, do you think this is cool?"
  • edited July 2009
    I'm curious...do we have any official confirmation anywhere that Telltale only got the rights to produce the series, and not merchandise related to the series?

I've heard lots of people speculate that that is the case, but I haven't seen anything anywhere to confirm it.

It just seems odd that they would restrict the licensing to the software product only, especially when ancillary products could be used for purposes of cross-promotion.

Lorn
  • edited July 2009
    if they couldn't sell them maybe they could later in the season make a printable set of the tarot cards as a prize for the treasure hunt or something...
  • edited July 2009
    I would completely buy a deck.
  • edited July 2009
    It just seems odd that they would restrict the licensing to the software product only

Not really, when Lucasarts can maintain merchandising rights themselves, make their own merch, and take in ALL the profit and not have to give TTG a cut of it.
  • edited July 2009
    on another note...i've never heard of tarot cards being used in voodoo? I thought they used bones and stuff like that to predict the future... my mother hasn't ever heard of tarot cards being used in voodoo either and she lived in haiti for 15 years...
  • edited July 2009
    I don't think they are technically but she is an expert in all things occult.
  • edited July 2009
    Not really, when Lucasarts can maintain merchandising rights themselves, make their own merch, and take in ALL the profit and not have to give TTG a cut of it.

I suppose I phrased that poorly. What I should've said was, "As the publisher, I'm surprised that Telltale agreed to a deal in which they would write, design, and publish the series without also getting at least temporary merchandising rights into the deal."

That would seem to me to be pretty standard for any company. As valuable as the Monkey Island IP is, as a publisher I wouldn't consider producing anything in any kind of a licensing deal unless some limited merchandising rights came with it.

Lorn
  • edited July 2009
    on another note...i've never heard of tarot cards being used in voodoo?

Technically they're not as Tarot cards originated in Europe around the 14th century (as a playing card game) and then weren't adapted for divination till the 18th century in Switzerland.

Voodoo, on the other had originated from the various African religions, most notably Vodun.

So the two are from completely different occult traditions. However, with that being said modern mysticism tends to draw from multiple sources, and Voodoo itself has a long history of amalgamating different traditions (particularly Christianity). Still, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any traditional Voodoo practitioners in the Caribbean (particularly during pirate times when it was only just emerging for divination in Europe) using tarot. Voodoo as it continued into New Orleans most likely adapted and to an extent used tarot.

Also: what's in the wallpaper technically aren't Tarot cards as the examples aren't any of the Major Arcana - the 22 major cards people usually think of when they think of tarot - and some would be hard pressed to line up with the traditional cards, needing an almost total re-design. Plus, I doubt they'd illustrate the 56 Minor Arcana, which would be pretty lame for a Tarot deck.
  • edited July 2009
    Technically they're not as Tarot cards originated in Europe around the 14th century (as a playing card game) and then weren't adapted for divination till the 18th century in Switzerland.

Voodoo, on the other had originated from the various African religions, most notably Vodun.

So the two are from completely different occult traditions. However, with that being said modern mysticism tends to draw from multiple sources, and Voodoo itself has a long history of amalgamating different traditions (particularly Christianity). Still, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any traditional Voodoo practitioners in the Caribbean (particularly during pirate times when it was only just emerging for divination in Europe) using tarot. Voodoo as it continued into New Orleans most likely adapted and to an extent used tarot.

Also: what's in the wallpaper technically aren't Tarot cards as the examples aren't any of the Major Arcana - the 22 major cards people usually think of when they think of tarot - and some would be hard pressed to line up with the traditional cards, needing an almost total re-design. Plus, I doubt they'd illustrate the 56 Minor Arcana, which would be pretty lame for a Tarot deck.

thats awsome xD i always LOVE to learn useless facts that i can pull out randomly in conversation xD
  • edited July 2009
    I knew those didn't correspond to any real tarot cards out there, but it's Monkey Island! They can invent their own deck! Cardcaptor Sakura did.

Oh, and HELLS YEAH for real life ones. At the very least, can we get them in the season's case file, or bag o' souvenirs from the Gulf of Mélange, or whatever they want to call it? Pretty please? :D
  • edited July 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    I at least hope for a poster.

Here you go.
  • edited July 2009
    Maybe something in the style of dueling cards. That would sell SO well! Can we make them ourselves? Without selling them, of course. Any artist interested? :D
  • edited July 2009
    I want a rare LeChuckchu piratemon card
  • edited July 2009
    Here you go.
    Was there supposed to be a link here? >>
  • edited July 2009
    Oh, please. You have to have the Minor Arcana. If for no other reason than because it'd be nice to know what they'd name the suits, and what they'd call the page/knight/queen/king ranks.
  • edited July 2009
    That would seem to me to be pretty standard for any company. As valuable as the Monkey Island IP is, as a publisher I wouldn't consider producing anything in any kind of a licensing deal unless some limited merchandising rights came with it.

The way it looks to me, Telltale likely has some kind of deal where any merch based on Tales of Monkey Island, they would get some cut of it. This may be why Lucasarts is only releasing MI:SE merch.
  • edited July 2009
    MI:SE merch is...not so bright. I mean... I wouldn't buy any of that stuff from LucasArts. Even if it's oficial. I like the TTG Guybrush more!
  • edited July 2009
    Great: Statue (Expensive, but awesome)

Good: LeChuck Fight T-Shirt, No Longer Sold Poster That's a Remake of the Game Art

OK: Monkey Evolution (Funny, but nothing I'd want to wear - it's a pretty big in joke)

Bad: Buttons, Poster of Statue (Really?)

Telltale would probably release better merchandise but some of the stuff LEC is selling is OK.
  • edited July 2009
    PariahKing wrote: »
    Poster of Statue (Really?)

No, not really. It's an error, the description states:
    The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition 11 x 17 Poster:

11" x 17" posters featuring the new The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition artwork originally given away at the 2009 E3 Expo, we have managed to secure a very limited quantity.

It's the same poster that they initially had up, but upon reposting it, they seem to have had a mix-up with the image it shows.
  • edited July 2009
    Just look at these beauties :) :

Wouldn't you like to get more? Like Three-Headed Monkey, Death and Root Beer? :p
  • edited July 2009
    would "death" look like a bottle of Head-B-Clear??
  • edited July 2009
    would "death" look like a bottle of Head-B-Clear??

yes
  • edited July 2009
    hmm, these cards would make great gimmicks and i need gimmicks. i would buy them. so far, lucasarts does not offer any tales merch and i don't suppose they will. why not let telltale make some cool stuff and get a small percentage of it without doing anything...on the other hand telltale is usually producing merchandise without a huge profit margin...or at least it seems that way...so this might be a bad deal for them.

also, i can understand that lucasarts won't easily give away merchandise licenses, considering that george lucas made a huge amount of money when he sold the rights to the first star wars movie to the studio, but kept the merchandise rights. he was on of the first to put such a focus to merchandise so i guess, it's kind of a tradition to keep these licenses.

anyway, tales merchandise would be sooo awesome...
  • edited July 2009
    I want the El Pollo Diablo Card! That would rock.
  • edited August 2009
    I hope that from now on each episode starts with a Tarot-recap. And it would be so cool if a complete deck of those Tarot-cards could be purchased in the shop (or be part of ToMI's "case file"-thingy).

tarotdisease.png tarotscientist.png tarottransformation.png tarotvictim.png
  • edited August 2009
    Telltale would you please make more of these? Pretty pretty please with sugar on top and a cherry? :D
  • edited August 2009
    they should make a deck of playing cards with those pictures!!! 4 designs, 4 face cards. coincidence? i think not!
  • edited August 2009
    Time to create a poll as evidence Telltale can use to prove to Lucasarts how many people would buy monkey merchandise? I think so. Someone who isn't lazy, go make that poll!

And Laserschwert, where did you get those? :D thanks
  • edited August 2009
    Fealiks wrote: »
    Time to create a poll as evidence Telltale can use to prove to Lucasarts how many people would buy monkey merchandise? I think so. Someone who isn't lazy, go make that poll!

that means im exempt :)
  • edited August 2009
    Actually i'm a TAROT card reader, and I really liked the idea. The names of the monkey cards are just fantastic, reminding the TAROT idea of names and situations.
    I would like to get these cards with the full DVD game pack. If it would be sellable, I will buy them for sure.
  • edited August 2009
    Fealiks wrote: »
    From the game... I have got my tools :p
  • edited August 2009
    Laserschwert knows voodoo :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.