Let's talk about Undertale for a minute?

edited October 2017 in General Chat

So, I don't ever make threads. This is the first thread I make in a forum in years.

I waited patiently for someone to make a thread about this game, but it looks like no one did. The search tool brought up no results, too, and now that some big Youtubers are starting to make playthroughs of the game, I thought it would be nice to let people know about it if they don't already. This opening post will contain no spoilers, but I ask everyone to please spoiler tag your replies if there is anything regarding the story in it, since this game is truly enjoyable if you go in blind. That's why I'm even posting this thread, to make people know that watching big Youtubers play this game in particular will make it less enjoyable to you if you ever want to play it. I want to talk about spoilery stuff myself, I just won't do it on the OP. You know, I just need to talk to someone about this game.

Anyway, don't watch playthroughs. No, stop, get out of YouTube right now. Yes, thank you. Now, the game is on Steam, but it has a demo available on the official site if you want to see if you like this kind of game before buying it.

It is a charming RPG that reminds me a little of EarthBound. You don't have to hurt anybody, you can befriend many interesting characters and there are quite a few twists that gave me a heartache. It has some silly humor and the "combat" system is pretty interesting. The devs thought of everything, and what you do will have consequences.

Anyway, if you played it and wants to talk about it, let me know!

Tagged:

Comments

• I've heard good things about Undertale elsewhere, and I'm interested in checking it out eventually. I'm mainly holding out for No Man's Sky and Firewatch first, but I might eventually check out Undertale as well.

While playing the game, how easy would you say it is to drop in/out of the game and come back later? Is this the kind of game that lends itself mostly to playing in a few sittings?

• Well, I played it during a really busy week for me, so I had to play it on multiple sessions over the week to get to the true ending. There are lots of save points so, mechanically, nothing can stop you from dropping in and out of the game whenever you want, but what really hurts when you close it is that you kinda want to know what happens next.

I've heard good things about Undertale elsewhere, and I'm interested in checking it out eventually. I'm mainly holding out for No Man's Sky

• I've been playing Under Tale and I've been enjoying it immensely!

• Lol while reading this post, I was watching a start of a playthrough. Looks really good.

• Try the demo. Choice-based games like this one are better when we are the ones making the choices.

DoubleJump posted: »

Lol while reading this post, I was watching a start of a playthrough. Looks really good.

• edited October 2015

Hmm, it looks good, I'll play the demo.

EDIT: I played it and I loved it! Is there only one ending to the demo? Cause I feel guilty, RIP that person :(

• Cool! No, there are a few different endings. The problem is... The game remembers what you did on past saves.

If you get the full game, I highly recommend not to kill anyone ever.

TheCatWolf posted: »

Hmm, it looks good, I'll play the demo. EDIT: I played it and I loved it! Is there only one ending to the demo? Cause I feel guilty, RIP that person

• Oh crap xD

Thanks for the tip! I just killed that person cause he/she was scaring me o_o

Abeille posted: »

Cool! No, there are a few different endings. The problem is... The game remembers what you did on past saves. If you get the full game, I highly recommend not to kill anyone ever.

• Thread: Undertale

What are your thoughts of Undertale? I actually never fought during my first playthrough. I cant stop listening to Asgores and Floweys themes. I'd also say that Sans and Papyrus.

• It's a humorous and dark game made by Toby Fox, an exemplary storyteller, one who has chosen to use the cute and funny vocabulary and tropes of the JRPG classics - EarthBound comes to mind - to bring his tale to an audience. The developer has thought of everything, which is very impressive as there are plenty of different endings and applicable playstyles available to the player. There are secrets, easter eggs and plenty of things to explore. Cause and effect play an important role in this game. Some of the ideas are even new as it is mind blowing.

An amazing soundtrack and colorful characters make this a timeless gem worthy of easily becoming one of the top ten games of 2015.

• I posted a thread about it a while ago but it got buried fast :/

I absolutely love the game. I got the true ending and it was absolutely beautiful. It is funny, heartwarming and creepy at times.

This game will be remembered fondly for decades.

• There there, Abeille.

So, do you recommend it? :)

I posted a thread about it a while ago but it got buried fast I absolutely love the game. I got the true ending and it was absolutely beautiful. It is funny, heartwarming and creepy at times. This game will be remembered fondly for decades.

• BEST GAME EVER

There there, Abeille. So, do you recommend it?

• I posted a thread about it a while ago but it got buried fast :/

Not anymore, it's not.

Live, thread! LIIIVVVEEE!

I posted a thread about it a while ago but it got buried fast I absolutely love the game. I got the true ending and it was absolutely beautiful. It is funny, heartwarming and creepy at times. This game will be remembered fondly for decades.

• Looks good, but extremely overrated. Good game? Yeah. Game of the Year? Nahhhh

• Too much salt....?

Gary-Oak posted: »

Looks good, but extremely overrated. Good game? Yeah. Game of the Year? Nahhhh

• I highly suggest playing it and getting the true ending before saying it is overrated.

• How am I salty? I never said it was a bad game. It's a fantastic game. I just don't agree that it's game of the year like a lot of people say it is. The purpose of a forum is to say your opinion. That's what I'm doing. If I was salty, I wouldn't be saying it's a good game.

J-Master posted: »

Too much salt....?

• You call everything that's praised overrated.

• Your avatar made me read this in Apollo's voice. It was perfect.

NOW USE YOUR CHORDS OF STEEL

You call everything that's praised overrated.

• edited October 2015

MY NAME IS APOLLO JUSTICE AND I'M- noisy!

enter image description here

Your avatar made me read this in Apollo's voice. It was perfect. NOW USE YOUR CHORDS OF STEEL

• Gary-OakGary-Oak Banned
    edited October 2015

That's an exaggeration if I've ever heard one. People call Zelda: Ocarina of Time the best game of all time, and I don't think that game is overrated.

You call everything that's praised overrated.

• I've been commissioned by someone to draw and illustrate a picture of Muffet having a tea party. Y'all let me know if y'all would like to see the finished result when I finish at the end of the month! :)

• I want to see!

She is so adorable! It is such a shame she doesn't have a bigger part in the game, though. Her battle theme is quite catchy too.

I've been commissioned by someone to draw and illustrate a picture of Muffet having a tea party. Y'all let me know if y'all would like to see the finished result when I finish at the end of the month!

• Awesome! :) like I said, I'll be posting it sometime later this month, gotta get a lot of other projects out of the way. The sketch is finished and ready for lineart and color though, so I'm super excited to start working on it! :D

And yes she is super cute, I was happy to get to draw such a different character, and have some liberties with designing such a simple pixel outfit into a neat and more detailed one.

I want to see! She is so adorable! It is such a shame she doesn't have a bigger part in the game, though. Her battle theme is quite catchy too.

• It's a joke...nothing against ya.

How am I salty? I never said it was a bad game. It's a fantastic game. I just don't agree that it's game of the year like a lot of people sa

• One word only: Megalovania.

Thread: Undertale What are your thoughts of Undertale? I actually never fought during my first playthrough. I cant stop listening to Asgores and Floweys themes. I'd also say that Sans and Papyrus.

• Ya know what else overrated? YOUR MUM!

• Dogsong.

Playing Undertale is like:

enter link description here

papai46 posted: »

One word only: Megalovania.

• An old thread, but I just wanted to say that Sans and Papyrus are some of the best characters I've ever seen in a video game. God damn I've never been so in love with video game characters before. :D Haha.

• I agree! I can't even pick a favourite!

Sans, Papyrus, Undyne and Toriel are all on the top of my list of favourite characters, and there isn't a single character in the game I don't like (except for Jerry. Screw him guys, let's ditch him when he is not looking).

An old thread, but I just wanted to say that Sans and Papyrus are some of the best characters I've ever seen in a video game. God damn I've never been so in love with video game characters before. Haha.

• I hated Flowey. I know he had a tragic back story behind him, but I don't care he's an asshole.

I agree! I can't even pick a favourite! Sans, Papyrus, Undyne and Toriel are all on the top of my list of favourite characters, and there

• Flowey's awesome >:V

My first run was a genocide run, that really fucked everything up. hah...the look on Toriel's face when you spare her until she takes her shield down. Old hag.
    They're all monsters. My character is human. They killed 6 others before me...so I slaughtered every single one of them.

I hated Flowey. I know he had a tragic back story behind him, but I don't care he's an asshole.

• If you did the genocide run then YOU are the monster. The fight with Sans is epic though.

P.S. Flowey can eat shit.

Sparrow7 posted: »

Flowey's awesome >:V My first run was a genocide run, that really fucked everything up. hah...the look on Toriel's face when you spare

• I loved to hate Flowey. Such a good villain.

I hated Flowey. I know he had a tragic back story behind him, but I don't care he's an asshole.

• He was despicable, that's for sure.

I loved to hate Flowey. Such a good villain.

• Debatable.
    After what happened to Flowey, Asgurr went batshit crazy and started slaughtering humans. Because he's the king, and their "hero", everyone started doing the same; Undyne, Papyrus, and some more less important people.
    Only one who didn't lose her shit was Toriel. She was nice for saving me, but little did she know, I was also batshit crazy. :D

Do you even know Flowey's backstory, btw? Everything he did was justified. If I was in his place I'd be much, much, very much fucking worse.
    Flowey is a hero. Flowey is love. Flowey is life.

If you did the genocide run then YOU are the monster. The fight with Sans is epic though. P.S. Flowey can eat shit.

• Thread: So how awesome is Undertale?

Game of the Year 2015, easily.

enter link description here

• edited November 2015

"I have very high standards!"

"I can make spaghetti."

"Oh, no! You're meeting all of my standards!"

• But it is.

That's an exaggeration if I've ever heard one. People call Zelda: Ocarina of Time the best game of all time, and I don't think that game is overrated.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.