The Definitive Best Choices List:

edited November 2015 in Game Of Thrones

With Season 1 over, I decided to try and work out which decisions are "best". Both narratively and objectively. Note: The majority of these are not even one's I chose, just one's that I consider to be the best option, having now played the entire story through, and given it a lot of thought. Feel free to let me know what you agree and disagree on. :)

Episode 1 - Iron From Ice:

• Stay with Bowen. (Which I didn't do. Since there is literally no drawback to saving Bowen, while there is for leaving him, saving him is the clear better choice)

• Swear loyalty to Margaery. (Again, I didn't do this. But since Mira is in Margaery's direct service, and will need her in Episode 6 and beyond, where Cersei doesn't even appear and kills Andros either way, this is the clear better choice)

• Free Erik. (I didn't do this one either, I'm on a roll! But since he can potentially save the lord in Episode 6, I suppose that's a one-up on maimed and wall-bound Erik, which do nothing really, least of all maimed Erik... who I had)

• Royland Degore as Sentinel. (This will be controversial I'm sure. But ultimately, Duncan makes far more logical sense to be the traitor, it's just not in Royland's blunt and forward nature, plus Royland is the master-at-arms, not a Castellan, so his role in Episode 6, defending Ironrath and battling, makes more sense than with Duncan)

• Meet Ramsay at the gate. (Another I did not opt for. Still, since Ethan is doomed either way in this scenario, might as well appear as defiant as possible beforehand. But really these two are interchangeable, and you could make an equal argument for which is better here)

Episode 2 - The Lost Lords:

• Don't forge the letter. (Narratively, it makes the most sense for Mira not to take this enormous risk. Plus, in the end, it's established Margaery knew she did it. And objectively, since Rodrik can win the betrothal rather simply without it, it's unnecessary)

• Don't kiss Lord Whitehill's ring. (It fits more in Rodrik's character as this stubborn, and proud, but defiant figure to not bow to his biggest rival, right in front of his betrothed, his House, right after having returned there. Plus, it provides the introduction of Gwyn. Though I do love the Rodrik / Ryon scene that replaces it)

• Win the betrothal. (Since nothing ever comes of Rodrik's promise to give them half of the Forrester Ironwood, you might as well promise it, and ensure the betrothal)

• Stand up for Cotter. (Since he's a far bigger character than Finn, getting him on your good side is just more valuable)

• Flee from Mira's attacker. (I will explain why later)

Episode 3: The Sword in the Darkness

• Save Malcolm. (Since you can redeem yourself by killing Beskha's master, while you can't redeem yourself, really, for saving her over Malcolm, this seems the better choice)

• Do not speak to Tyrion. (Again, since Tyrion isn't even in Episode 6, just like Cersei, with Margaery is, getting her on your good side makes more sense)

• Kill Britt. (Since Gared goes down for it anyway, breaks his vows anyway, gets insulted by Jon in the end anyway, you might as well give Britt the death he deserves)

• Stand up to Gryff. (There is literally no-drawback to doing it. And you look super badass. So yeah, this one is kinda obvious now)

• Keep the Ironwood decree. (I'll also explain why later)

Episode 4 - Sons of Winter:

• Bring Finn along. (By doing this, it ensures he can't slander Cotter and Gared, or reveal any extra secrets to the Watch. Plus, it provides extra dialogue and support in combat)

• Maim Gryff. (This I regretted not doing after Episode 5. Anyway, I'll explain this one later too)

• Keep Sera's secret. (There's no advantage to spilling it... which is probably why nearly everyone didn't... so you might as well stay loyal to her and keep your word)

• Leave the Glenmore soldiers at Ironrath. (It's more badass Rodrik going in without them, and it eliminates the plothole of how Arthur gets captured when he returns. And it makes Ramsay's arrival seem more like bad luck, than Rodrik's incompetence)

• Let Beskha kill her slave master. (I'm surprised few did this option, like I did. I still feel it makes the most sense. He deserves it, Beskha deserves to do it, and you can still get the gold from Daenerys just by explaining the situation to her. Plus, with having saved Malcolm, it redeems himself to Beskha)

(Everyone's favourite!) Episode 5 - A Nest of Vipers:

• Stab Ramsay. (There's no consequence for doing it--but there is for not doing it, such as Rodrik looking weak. So yeah... do it)

• Spare and kick Bloodsong. (This is clearly the best decision, as you gain an extra soldier in your army, and earn the respect of the Pit Fighters to boot)

• Tell Tyrion the truth. (Since he works it out anyway, and Mira gets dragged away anyway, might as well be honest. Plus, he's Tyrion)

• Execute the traitor. (If you let him live, not only does it anger Talia, but it ensures your Sentinel dies. So yeah, always kill the traitor)

• Asher stays behind. (Oh, I've done it now! Lol but this is clearly the objectively best choice. Since Rodrik is the Lord, has the most business going head-to-head with Gryff and Ludd, and more importantly, in order to win the war against the Whitehills by Ramsay's terms, Rodrik must survive. As we learn in Episode 6, the Forresters have technically already lost the war, by Rodrik being dead)

Episode 6 - The Ice Dragon:

• Lie to Margaery. (I know this goes against the pro-Sera route so far. However, to ensure 100% Margaery loyalty, this is a must)

• Accept Morgryn's proposal. (I've done none of these two choices. My Mira stuck up for Sera then died. However, Mira's best future now, is to stay alive by marrying Morgryn, and holding out for Margaery, who she still works for, and is on good terms with, to save her. And since it actually was Tom who killed the Lannister Guard, not Mira, she doesn't need to feel all that much guilt about letting him die. He only helped her because it was his job, and he died for an act he actually did. Plus, who knows if she can use the ironwood decree to her benefit, moving forward)

• Use Cotter for Blood Magic. (A nasty choice, but we're going to need Elsera's magic, and her soldiers, at their best. And that's unfortunately more important than sentiment)

• Kill Ludd Whitehill. (Again, something I didn't do. I killed Gryff and I don't regret it. That being said, if we're talking about the objectively best choice, killing Ludd as Rodrik is the one. Especially since it leaves a maimed Gryff calling the shots. As it technically ensures, at least by Ramsay's terms, that House Forrester won the conflict. And it is the only way for that)

• Remain in the North Grove. (I didn't do this, but all logic points to the fact, Gared returning to Ironrath is a doomed trip. And our best option is, probably to hold out and see what power this Grove really has)

And there you have it :P
Just my personal interpretation of what I believe to be the best choices in the game, from an objective and pragmatic viewpoint anyway. And since almost all of them were one's I didn't do, I think it's fair to say I wasn't biased. So let me know your thoughts :)

Comments

• Apart from the "Remain in the North Grove" bit, I'd agree with you 100%
    That place is a worthless waste of time, and Gared needs return to Rodrik ASAP... he could use some crazed magic soldiers right now

Anyway have a like, ser.

• It depends what kind of power is in the North Grove honestly, which we still don't really know.

• edited November 2015

All the more reason staying is the "best" choice.

Even though, be that as it may, it's still not the one I'd ever go with :P

It depends what kind of power is in the North Grove honestly, which we still don't really know.

• It's obviously debatable but i don't think using Cotter for blood magic is the best option. Elsera doesn't seem to be doing so good using it, and I'm sure there are other ways of untapping the North Grove's powers. There are plenty of "Gods" in the GoT universe, and I'm not sure blood magic has done anyone any good yet.

• I think saving Beskha from the dragon is better because you don't want to fight alongside with a wounded soldier. Malcolm wont fight with you that's why I saved Beskha instead. btw what about the special choices?

• Is it just a place that increases the power of blood magic? Is their a sleeping ice dragon there that requires a certain amount of souls in order to be awaken? Or is it just a place where Ironwood trees come from. Who knows honestly, we just don't have enough information. All we have is some general hints of it's "importance".

DillonDex posted: »

All the more reason staying is the "best" choice. Even though, be that as it may, it's still not the one I'd ever go with :P

• That's a very good point. I didn't think of that. Still, she fights exactly the same either way, so I suppose saving Malcolm still trumps it. In my mind, anyway. But only just.

And I was tempted to do the all the special choices, but I didn't want this topic to run on forever :P

Menofthe214 posted: »

I think saving Beskha from the dragon is better because you don't want to fight alongside with a wounded soldier. Malcolm wont fight with you that's why I saved Beskha instead. btw what about the special choices?

• Oh stuff it, Duncan being traitor makes no sense, Gregor trusted him about North Grove and he is Gared's uncle. What reaction will Gared have?

• edited November 2015

Well thank you for being so courteous about your disagreement... not.

And yes, it does make sense. Duncan, from Episode 1, went behind his lord's back to ensure Gared was sent to the Wall. He, to our knowledge, hid all information of the North Grove from Ethan and the entire Forrester family (except Rodrik who seems to already know of it). He promotes peace and positive relationships (and treatment) of the Whitehills at all times, while Royland is the opposite. Royland is impulsive, hot-tempered, and honest. These are not the traitors of someone who works in the shadows because they think it's right (e.g. the role of the traitor)

Duncan is methodical, calm, and reserved. These are precisely the traits of someone who works in the shadows because they think it's right.

And if you disagree with all that, clearly you can't handle the fact your Sentinel is commonly regarded--FOR A REASON--to be the most logical traitor. Sorry.

AronDracula posted: »

Oh stuff it, Duncan being traitor makes no sense, Gregor trusted him about North Grove and he is Gared's uncle. What reaction will Gared have?

• I agree with a lot of your choices, but having played both Asher's and Rodrick's storyline now I personally still think Asher is the better Lord to live.

If Rodrick survives the pit fighters make it constantly clear that they are not loyal to you and will happily leave as soon as they can. So if any survived the battle, they will leave. And Beskha's interest in whole battle revolves mostly around avenging Asher's death. So, at the end when you see her riding off with Ryon I wasn't confident she was going return to Rodrick side and not just ride off completely and solely protect Ryon.

If you choose Asher the Forrester soldiers aren't effected, you know Beskha will return, any remaining pit fighters will stay loyal, you kill more Whitehill soldiers, Lady Forrester gets to choose her own death by knowingly drinking the poison and calmly watching as Lord Whitehill dies screaming and crying and on a personal note you get to say fuck Ramsey which is something I always recommend saying - especially because no matter who lives you know you're going lose the strong hold.

Also, you get told by Gwyn that the Whitehills are more scared of Asher because they don't know what kind of person he is so they can't predict him and manipulate him like they think they could Rodrick. Also, Daenerys ends up respecting Asher but has no connection to Rodrick apart from knowing his brother and uncle; so Asher has the better connection to her if she ever gets her ass across the sea.

• Yeah Telltale really fucked up on that one, either way the traitor makes no sense :(

AronDracula posted: »

Oh stuff it, Duncan being traitor makes no sense, Gregor trusted him about North Grove and he is Gared's uncle. What reaction will Gared have?

• edited November 2015

That what should Gared do? Leave House Forrester or understand the situation?

Well thank you for being so courteous about your disagreement... not. And yes, it does make sense. Duncan, from Episode 1, went behind hi

• Hmmm...I disagree with a lot of these, at least from a narrative standpoint (note, however, that I think that there is no such thing as a right playthrough). Beforehand, I should maybe note that I have an original playthrough that I don't touch and a 'character' playthrough. In this, I try to give each character a consistent personality. Asher is unruly and maybe a bit brutal, Rodrik is earnest and strong, but sometimes short tempered, Mira is cunning, but not as cold as most people at King's Landing. Gared is a really nice guy, but not the brightest. Ethan is a sweet child, but easily influenced, this will be important later. With that being said, I don't look as much on the outcome, but rather on the experience. I know the outcome, but the characters don't. Anyway, here's what I did in my 'real' playthrough:

Episode 1

• Stay with Bowen Gared is not the kind of guy to leave a friend to die if it literally only costs him two seconds to pull the guy away.

• Swear loyalty to the King Pleasing Cersei is more important than pleasing Margaery, at least from a narrative standpoint. Mira must have thought that Margaery would understand, even if she didn't in the end. Plus, Cersei has a habit of...getting rid of people that disagree with her, everyone at court knows that, and Mira must too.

• Send Erik to the Wall Now, I know this doesn't fit with Ethan being a nice kid. It does, however, fit with him being easy to manipulate. Both Duncan and Royland say the thief has to be punished, but Ethan chooses what he thinks is a less severe punishment, even though it turns out to be even worse than taking three fingers. It also shows that Ethan is inexperienced and wasn't trained to be a Lord.

• Choose Royland as Sentinel Remember that Ethan is easy to manipulate, and Royland brings up good points as to why he should be Sentinel. Malcolm is also in favor of Royland being Sentinel, and Ethan assumes that his uncle knows what he's talking about, and so his decision is ultimately Royland.

• Meet Ramsay at the gate Ethan listens to everything his new Sentinel says, so he tries to intimidate Ramsay with his 'army' and meets him at the gate. Of course, this proves costly for him.

Episode 2

• Forge Margaery's letter I know this is very risky, but Mira is willing to do anything to help her family. She is also fairly new to King's Landing and doesn't yet fully understand the consequences that this might have later down the line. I see it as something like an amateur mistake.

• Win the betrothal While Rodrik definitley has a very harsh side, he can be charming aswell. And with Mira's letter, Elaena marries him anyway (I think, pleade correct me if I'm wrong)

• Don't kiss Ludd's ring Rodrik is stubborn and proud, and he doesn't bend the knee to a Whitehill, even if it means that Ryon can't attend the funeral.

• Stand up for Cotter It's what Gared would do, plus I'm writing on this for far too long already and still have four Episodes to cover ;P

• Kill Damien I think in the heat of the moment, Mira would attack Damien. While it is to protect the coalboy, it also has an ulterior motive: if Damien survives, he'll try again, and next time he'll probably get her.

Episode 3

• Save Beskha Asher is still angry at his family for exiling him, even if he kind of understands why it had to happen. Meanwhile, he lived and fought beside Beskha for four years now, and is actually probably closer to her than to Malcolm. Plus, she was facing a dragon :P

• Don't speak to Tyrion Mira, while cunning, is not foolish enough to disobey a direct order from Margaery right in front of her. Besides, Tyrion is a clever man and she figured he'd know why they can't talk.

• Walk away from Britt Gared is forced into the battle with Britt, and stops as soon as Britt stops because of his grievous. Sadly, it is already too late, and Britt collapses dead.

• Stand up to Gryff Again, my only explanation is that Rodrik is too proud and stubborn to let some fourthborn force him into the mud, so he stands up again and again until Gryff gives up.

• Burn the decree Tyrion is arrested and will be have a trial soon, Mira knows that as much as the player that watches the show. It is a really bad time to be associated with Tyrion in any way, and the decree is worthless anyway since Tyrion signed it.

Episode 4

• Bring Finn along Gared and Finn are kind of friends, and Gared doesn't want to get Finn into trouble, because if he stays, Frostfinger will let out all his anger on him.

• Maim Gryff Gryff went too far by constantly provoking Rodrik, beating up the Maester and threatening to do the same to Elaena, so Rodrik beats the everloving shit out of him and is only stopped by the intervention of his mother.

• Keep Sera's secret There is no advantage for Mira if she tells Tarwick that Sera is a bastard, so she keeps her promise and doesn't spill the beans. Mira is doing all this for her family, not because she wants to harm anyone who didn't really do her wrong.

• Take the Glenmore soldiers to Highpoint Rodrik wants to make very clear that he is not as weak as Ludd thinks he is. The Glenmore don't even have to say something to get the message across: Don't fuck with me, I will defend myself. (It is unfortunate that this also means that you have to accept a plothole, but so be it. Stuff like that happens)

• Kill the slavemaster yourself It brings across the point that you should not screw with Asher, because he will deliver justice as he sees fit. To him, it doesn't matter what everyone else wants. He is angry at Dezhor for enslaving his friend, and so he doesn't even realize that he denied Beskha her justice as he slit Dezhor's throat.

Episode 5

• Stab Ramsay Rodrik can't stand looking weak, and it's just too good an opportunity. Only later does he realize that it was madness, and all that killing Ramsay would have accomplished would have been all out war with House Bolton.

• Kill Bloodsong Asher proves that he is worthy to lead the pitfighters by driving his sword through Bloodsong's gut.

• Tell Tyrion the truth There is no point in denying it anyway. Tyrion doesn't ask if Cersei sent Mira, he notes. And since Mira wants to get on his good side, she admits to it.

• Spare the traitor Rodrik is tempted to drive his sword through Duncan, but when he mentions Asher being in danger, he gives in and spares him. (This one was rather difficult, because I always played Rodrik more similar to Asher. But in the end I decided to spare Duncan. This is also the first time where I will say it is better for the narrative, but I'll come to that soon enough)

• Rodrik stays behind It just makes more sense to me. Rodrik sacrifices himself for his younger brother (Rodrik's story is also more over than Asher's is). Asher gets a chance to avenge him and meet his family again, and his journey wasn't for nothing. The pitfighters follow Asher and don't even know Rodrik, let alone respect him. And the story of the unruly and violent secondborn who was never trained to be a Lord, and who now has to step up to the task and stop with his often irrational behaviour is more compelling.

Episode 6

• Tell Margaery the truth Mira can't bring it over herself to betray her friend like that after she practically used Sera to get into the party and accepts Margaery's punishment.

• Accept Morgryn's proposal Mira decides that she needs to stay alive if she wants to even have the slightest chance to help her family, and sacrifices Tom's life. It will probably haunt her forever, but she is already plotting on how to get rid of Morgryn and get back to Ironrath, even if her chances are slim.

• Give Cotter the Nightshade Gared has at this points already decided that he does not like the North Grove at all. Instead of brutally killing one of his best friends, he gives him the Nightshade and with that the peaceful death he deserves, accepting the consequences this might have on the North Grove.

• Ambush Ludd Poison is just not how Asher does things. He plans an ambush and does not listen to Gwyn's pleas. He has had enough, and goes through with the plan. After giving Ludd a big scar across the face, he kills Gryff and fights the Whitehills, before being critically wounded by Harys, but survives because of the heroic effort of Royland Degore, who pays for this with his life.

• March south Gared decides that he does not need the North Grove and that marching south is the best way to help House Forrester.

Now some other reasons as to why I chose to spare Duncan: I think the story of a traitor redeeming himself is much more interesting than the Sentinel just surviving because...screenwriting. It would also render Royland's heroic sacrifice useless. Duncan realized that it was a mistake to betray the Forresters and wants to make amends.

Thanks if you read all that, please tell me what you think about my approach on things.

• Tbh, yes Duncan has the feeling of a traitor, but you've also got to take in that Duncan was Gregor's best friend, and Gregor's last words involved total secrecy of the north grove between Duncan and Gared, anyways everyone has their own opinion of what they think the right choices are, I actually agree with most of yours except the sentinel, using cotter for blood magic, and staying in the north grove.

Well thank you for being so courteous about your disagreement... not. And yes, it does make sense. Duncan, from Episode 1, went behind hi

• Which traitor makes more sense for you? It seems that's the biggest criticism regarding the choice of choosing a Sentinel.

Hmmm...I disagree with a lot of these, at least from a narrative standpoint (note, however, that I think that there is no such thing as a ri

• I accidently copied an empty save slot over my playthrough so I have to play the game all over again.

I'm going to play 2 savefiles, one leaning towards more emotional choices and the other to rational/honourable choices. You might guess correctly that the first file will be around Asher and Mira not being executed (this is my initial way of playing the game aswell but I'm going to do everything based on emotion this time around even if it means I'm going to be screwing with Sera, Malcolm, Dany, Margaery etc). The second playthrough will be focused on Rodrik and the focus on family, like kissing the ring because it allows Ryon to attend the funeral and Asher rescuing Malcolm in the cave. The only thing I'm scared about is the Mira dilemma in episode 6, because the honorable/family-related choice is to be executed, but I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want this. ;D

I will probably run through the above preferred choices for each file I guess. Gonna take some time to run both files to the end of episode 6 again hehe.

• edited November 2015

Royland makes more sense the way I look at tit. He's so bold if you disagree with him or choose the counterpart of his suggestion.

Duncan is the rational man and doing his best for the House. I don't see the sending of Gared to the Wall as a sneaky part in the plan, but as another strategic part because he analyzed the importance of the North Grove because of Gregor Forrester.

But you could make the contra argument for this aswell, just the way you look at their personalities. I will play 2 files, 1 will end with Asher + Royland (brute force) + Talia, the other with Rodrik + Duncan (tactical squad) + Talia.

J-Master posted: »

Which traitor makes more sense for you? It seems that's the biggest criticism regarding the choice of choosing a Sentinel.

• Duncan makes more sense as a traitor to me. Royland is loud and speaks his mind, but that is exactly why I think he would never do something like that. He might be someone who loudly disagrees with you, but he stabs you in the front if it comes to it. Not the back.

Duncan on the other hand, I can see him being someone who thinks they're doing the right thing, working from the shadows and actually trying to do a good thing.

Royland makes no sense to me whatsoever, Duncan I could potentially see happening

J-Master posted: »

Which traitor makes more sense for you? It seems that's the biggest criticism regarding the choice of choosing a Sentinel.

• Haha, for the exact same reason I see him as the best traitor :p Someone who is so bold, so convinced of his own opinion and openly disagrees with every other option, will not stand too many drops in a basket in time and he will bail on you.

But as I said before aswell, I can understand almost any argument someone makes for either of them being the better traitor. I can see both of them being a good one lol

Duncan makes more sense as a traitor to me. Royland is loud and speaks his mind, but that is exactly why I think he would never do something

• edited November 2015

In defense of the Royland choice, one could argue that Royland could have actually just been trying to find an excuse for Rodrik to strike on the offensive especially if Rodrik played nice with the Whitehills before Episode 4. So Royland tells the Whitehils information and waits to see what they'll do in getting Rodrik to take a more fighting approach, it's a stupid plan, but I don't think the whole traitor business with Telltale was entirely well thought out anyway to please everyone.

Hopefully, Telltale give the traitor a good explanation in S2 if you spared him.

Duncan makes more sense as a traitor to me. Royland is loud and speaks his mind, but that is exactly why I think he would never do something

• Well, neither traitor really made much sense. The Maester was a much more logical choice: he hadn't been with the Forrester's long, and he recently arrived from the Citadel, where the other Whitehill boy is studying to be a Maester. I assumed he was a friend of Maester Whitehill. I thought TT was dropping a giant hint when Gwyn told you about him.

Heck, even the Mother would have made more sense: she just watched one son die, now she's meddling (like mother's sometimes do). Obviously she would never have set Gryff free or given Ludd their battle plans, but everything up to that point would be plausible for a desperate woman trying to avoid a conflict that would probably kill all her children.

• I agree. I think it should of been Lady Forrester or the Maester. Like, if you sided with Duncan approved choices, it would be the Maester. If it were Royland approved choices, it would be Lady Forrester, in a attempt to save her kids and possibly get info on Ryon.

Well, neither traitor really made much sense. The Maester was a much more logical choice: he hadn't been with the Forrester's long, and he

• Maybe when you're always trying to do the right thing. When I went back through and tried to play it according to what I believed to be canon, I purposefully chose choices I didn't agree with because I thought they would make the story better. Like Royland as Sentinel for instance. I like Duncan better, but I truly believe he makes the more interesting traitor. "You're just a wounded soldier trying to prove he's still a man." All of you traitor-scene haters can hate the scene, but you have to admit that was a cool line.

• edited November 2015

I now really wished for the Master being the Traitor (why the hell? it made perfect sense)

AdamGoodtme posted: »

Yeah Telltale really fucked up on that one, either way the traitor makes no sense

• I thought the maester was the clear chioce ater reading that one of the Whitehill boys was also a maester (Ortengryn = whitehill in disguise?) which would made a great story arc.

Well, neither traitor really made much sense. The Maester was a much more logical choice: he hadn't been with the Forrester's long, and he

• You're the real MVP.

• Eh, I think its all opinion to be honest

• I think that most things are good either way, keeping alive both Roderick and Asher is good. With Roderick we will ally Eleane, with Asher we will pork with Gwyn. Both are ok. Both are fine to deal with Ramsey.
    It seems you can woo Eleane without forging letter nor promising wood, she will come for Roderic wood anyway (and bring brother as well).
    Of course marrying Morgren is better option. Whatever happens Sansa had it worse.

The only big question is: "How important is decree from Tyrion"? Till 6th episede it dosnt come to play. There was a lot effort to set it up, so just burning it dosnt make sense. Sure Tyrion at some point will be taken down, but there is a chance it dosnt matter, at the moment he was Master of Coin, so decree is valid.

• I chose Asher and tried to make peace, mainly because we end the game with Gwyn, who knows the inner workings of House Whitehill. Marrying Mira to Morgyn allows to keep tabs on him. She's still Sera's handmaiden and while I screwed Sera over, I helped her marriage to Lord Tarwick so she should be in the clear. I chose to leave the North Grove after using Cotter for Blood Magic, mainly because it's too dangerous to remain North and the Blood Ritual will empower the Snows so her magic will last longer. The bear and brainwashed warriors are good, but they aren't limitless. True Ludd is still alive, but we saved Ryon and as Asher is in his prime he should be able to recover from his wounds better than Roderick.

• There is also Talia, she should be growing up soon, and was schooled by Ethan decisions.
    Ludd is just angry boar without much charisma, and once we killed his favorite son it should make him think about next move.

Josera havent fully mastered blood magic so it is better to keep her in North Grove. As far as we have seen with Melisandre it is not a problem for blood magic to kill from distance.

• I will keep the decree in 1 savefile and burn it in the other I think. Will probably marry Morgryn in 2 savefiles aswell. Could be of use in season 2.

evilcat posted: »

I think that most things are good either way, keeping alive both Roderick and Asher is good. With Roderick we will ally Eleane, with Asher w

• I agree with most of your choices, and ESPECIALLY the Sentinel choice. So much yes. Your reasoning is exactly the same as mine and I've been a staunch defender of this on the forums since the traitor reveal. People can say what they will, but without extreme changes to what we know about his character, Royland just DOESN'T fit the role of a traitor, period. The extreme changes being that he would have to be the absolute best bluffer/actor in Westeros. Which he clearly isn't. I don't know who in their right mind could believe that the very man who advocated violence and defiance against the Whitehills at every turn could also have been secretly working with them. The impetuous, hot headed, not a shred of subtlety on him Royland? Get outta town. Meanwhile Duncan, he just fits the profile extremely well. I just wish this wasn't choice determinant and Duncan would always end up as the traitor- then if you've picked him as Sentinel, the betrayal would feel more personal. Right now I would never do a playthrough with Duncan as Sentinel, so as to avoid the massive rape to Royland's character, especially if you play a defiant Rodrik and leave Royland without his betrayal arguments in the traitor reveal scene.

Now, onto where I disagree with you. That is on two major choices in episode 5. First things first, despite my arguments in the previous paragraph, I would argue that sparing the traitor makes for better storytelling. Why? It's simple. Royland's a soldier. It is an extremely fitting ending to his character that he goes down with the keep, fighting to the last. Having saved his Lord's life, he gives his all and takes as many Whitehills to the grave as he can, loyal to his final breath. I honestly don't see him doing much more interesting stuff if he survives, other than being just another soldier by your side. Now Duncan, on the other hand... he still has potential. Maybe it's just because I'm a sucker for redemption stories, but it also feels like his character isn't done. There has to be more to this best friend of Gregor Forrester, the only other person besides Gared and Rodrik who knows of the North Grove, than just ending up impaled by a sword. Being broken out in the siege and rushing to the rescue of his Lord with the person that wanted him dead the most (Talia) sounds about right for starters. At least it's more interesting.

And final, once again, from the storytelling perspective, I would argue that Asher is the better choice to survive Episode 5. Why? Because, by applying the same logic I apply when choosing a Sentinel, so that my beloved character doesn't end up being inconsistent, I feel that keeping Rodrik alive makes no sense for him, at least not the way I played my Rodrik. I just can't picture how my Rodrik, who defied the Whitehills against all odds with every breath, would choose to flee, leaving his younger brother who just crossed half the world to help him, to die. And later on, flee as his home burns. That's just... not my Rodrik. No, my Rodrik chose to sacrifice his life, putting his faith into Asher, and went down with as many Whitehills as he could. For me, leaving Rodrik there is a far more satisfying (even if still bitter) ending for his character than leaving Asher is for Asher's. There's some semblance of meaning to Rodrik's story then- he came back from the dead to lead his house in the time of greatest peril and ultimately gave his life to allow his long exiled brother to pick up the torch. That's noble. Meanwhile, if you leave Asher, his use in the story amounts to bringing his brother some 5 pit fighters to bolster his meager forces, which end up not mattering in the end anyway. Oh and add to that one heartbroken Beshka.

Furthermore, I disagree with the argument that if you kill Ludd, you win by Ramsay's terms and if you lose Rodrik, you lose. Ramsay never set those terms. He said "Last House standing wins", plain and simple. As many people have said in these forums already, the House is not the Lord. House Forrester didn't fall when Rodrik died, no more than it did when Gregor died. That's just a lie Ludd made up, so he could push the Forresters towards peace on his terms. Gwyn may very well be right, he's afraid of Asher, can't predict him, and therefore is trying to manipulate him into surrender as best he can. So once again, I would choose Asher, and even if I did choose Rodrik to survive, back in the Whitehill camp, I would choose to go after Gryff, rather than Ludd- simply because I couldn't imagine Rodrik putting Ryon into such obvious danger. Ludd clearly states that if anything should happen to him, Ryon dies. Ergo, Rodrik would always go after Gryff and to secure Ryon. At least the Rodrik I imagine.

And last but not least, another reason why Rodrik's path makes no sense to me- the final battle. After you come back into the camp, it turns out that the Whitehills somehow got inside, despite the fact that their battering ram is still hard at work. This is never explained. They show a small gap made by the ram that individual soldiers can squeeze through, but Ludd/Gryff and Harys somehow managed to get inside with horses, and the Forresters must seriously suck at defending castles if they couldn't keep a tiny gap that only one man can squeeze through at a time secure. Did they leave the postern gate wide open or something? I'd rather just avoid this plothole completely and not make the Forresters look like incompetent twats. Meanwhile, if you pick Asher, his path makes more sense- as you prepare a feast, I imagine the negotiations went that Ludd takes a token force with him as his personal guard inside, roughly to match your garrison numbers, so that he feels secure in the feast- while the rest of his army remain outside the walls and the gate remains in Forrester control. Then the courtyard battle makes much more sense as you rush to retake the gate that was presumably overwhelmed by an attack from both sides.

So those are my arguments on what I believe to be the best choices for what will be my personal "canon" playthrough. They are not always the "best" outcomes perhaps, but personally I go for what makes the most sense from the narrative perspective, so as to avoid gaping plotholes, similar to your logic with the Sentinel choice, rather than what would end up objectively best for House Forrester.

• Sentinel - against my personal preferences i picked Royland, he seems right person for hard times, also in times of war it is better to have master of arms as second in comand. Always have hard grip on army.
    Duncan fits better as traitor, diplomacy to the end is his way. I spare his life, since i fallow the Sith code, at that moment his death will bring no joy nor benefit, and in past his opinions (sending thief to the wall) was valuable.

I picked Asher as survivor, since mercenaries will fallow him more. And Roderick will never abandon his lil brother.

I do not trust Ramsey, hope there will be option to kill him at some point. Have no intencion to play by Ramsey rules. The best option is to make peace with Whitehills and strike against Boltons. ;-)

• Good post, can see all of you guys' arguments about the traitor.

I also agree with Asher being the best one to survive EP5 from a storyline perspective.

Only thing I'm wondering about is killing the traitor or keeping him alive on my playthroughs.

The first playthrough will have Asher alive with Royland as sentinel and Rodrik standing up to everything the Whitehills do. I'm coming close to the point of deciding to kill or spare Duncan. Should I finish him off and continue with Royland + Ashe at the end of EP6 (I won't choose Gwyn), or let Duncan redeem himself because of his betrayal to Rodrik?

Same for my other playthrough, which will have Rodrik alive. I play him as a family man, shallowing a lot of Whitehill actions, and kiss the ring so Ryon can attend the funeral for example. Duncan is the sentinel in this game for his more thought out longterm House-related arguments. Should I kill Royland as the traitor here and continue with Rodrik + Duncan or leave him alive?

My initial thoughts were ending with Asher/Royland (file 1) and Rodrik/Duncan (file 2) but I'm not really sure haha.

I agree with most of your choices, and ESPECIALLY the Sentinel choice. So much yes. Your reasoning is exactly the same as mine and I've been

• So if you pick Royland how exactly are you supposed to all meet at the North Grove? Of course it's telltale so knowing them Rodrick will fart out a magic rainbow that will lead you right there but still I like my choices to make sense.

• This has been argued countless times. You are not wrong for choosing Rodrik to stay behind. If that's how you like your story to be, then it is perfectly right for you to do that. I just want to give my take on why I made Asher stay behind. The reason why I chose Asher to stay behind, it simply didn't fit MY Asher to let his elder brother die. I played Asher as a man who will do anything for his family, he saved Malcom than Beskha from the dragon because he has a stronger loyalty toward his family, he prevented Beskha from killing her former master because he hold his family as the first priority and finally, sacrificing himself for Rodrik show how much he loves them.

I agree with most of your choices, and ESPECIALLY the Sentinel choice. So much yes. Your reasoning is exactly the same as mine and I've been

• I made a couple of mistakes with my playthrough.

1) Asked Margs for help

2) Allowed the Glenmore woman to stay. I chose the ambiguous you know what happens to women in war. Not sure if she stays regardless of what I say.

Other then that I'm happy with my choices. Telltale in some cases screwed me by bad writing like keeping the knife meant keeping it in perpetuity (ugh no Mira was meant to dispose of it later just not in the heat of the moment near the crime scene).

I'm also happy with my choice to marry. WIth the coalboy taking the fall there is no reason for Mira to go through with the marriage though I doubt telltale will write it that way.

Sacrificing cutter. He was going to die anyways. Might as well make his death useful. I knew I might piss off the wildling chick but it's like Sera would I rather have Dargs and blood magic or a little girl like me.

Not telling the secret to anyone else. Really why would you? Snow in the epilogue is angry but really it's the forresters trump card. Not telling anyone is sort of a perquisite. Plus you have no idea how the crows on the whole would react.

• I like Duncan more as well, but you're right, he really does make a better traitor. Rodrik and Elissa both sound more hurt realizing that their father's closest friend ended up betraying them.

Maybe when you're always trying to do the right thing. When I went back through and tried to play it according to what I believed to be cano

• edited November 2015

IF YOU KILL LUDD WHITEHILL THEN YOU WILL BE UNLEASHING THIS GUY:

enter image description here

Torrhen Whitehill

• I seemed to have missed this aspect of the game... When does he make his appearance?

IF YOU KILL LUDD WHITEHILL THEN YOU WILL BE UNLEASHING THIS GUY: Torrhen Whitehill

Sign in to comment in this discussion.