Who do you think are the most underrated and overrated characters in all of the games?

Comments

• True. Guess its a case of sustenance vs. comfort, something Season 2 definitely had issues with.

His lighthearted attitude was definitely appreciated at the time that he showed up. Unfortunately he just doesn't do much besides that. I

• Yes. Most of that is actually copied from my first impression of Episode 3, which I should get around to wrapping up so can post it.

• Underrated:
    -Lilly.
    -Chuck.
    -Walter.

Overrated:
    -Clementine.
    -Omid.
    -Paige.
    -Luke.
    -Bonnie.

• For me, I find the following characters to be underrated or overrated:

Underrated
    Lilly
    Doug
    Katjaa
    Christa
    Pete (Season 2)
    Sarah
    Shel
    Becca
    Stranger

Overrated
    Kenny
    Carley
    Luke
    Jane
    Carver
    Nate
    Randall

• Underrated: Chuck, this dude's one of my personal favorite characters, how can anyone not like this guy.

Overrated: Nate, I never got the big deal about him, he was just an asshole and there's no excuse for that, unless you're funny with it, then it's completely fine, but he wasn't even funny.

• Overrated:
    Jane - I didn't really see what was so good about her tbh. I hated her personality

Underrated
    Lee - People don't give this guy enough credit, he was not only our first Protaganist of TWD, but her was super badass, he was the ultimate badass imo. He is easily my favorite TWD character ever

Sarah - I didn't understand the hate she got from so many people. She had anxiety and I understand that. But all the hate she got is really getting on my nerves.

• But it does give reason to respect him, as you sorta point out. Here he is, tied up as a prisoner within his own incomplete home after losing most of the things he cares about with a guy he knows won't hesitate to hurt him insulting everything he cares about and he just doesn't care anymore. He even continues to try and talk back despite the fact that Kenny's trying to beat him to a pulp.

It doesn't give me a reason to respect him, as goading your aggressor into hurting you more doesn't seem like a good idea to me, but to each their own.

For the same reasons Kenny got mad at Lee for telling him to stop the train, Kenny yells at Clementine if she kills the walker that bit Sarita, Sarah wouldn't move in the trailer after witnessing Carlos's death, and Kenny attacks Arvo himself after Rebecca had to be put down regardless of the Russians showing up.

There are two differences between all of those situations and Arvo's.

1.) His sister had died, he personally saw her corpse on the ground (he was even cradling her dead body before Kenny stepped in). To hold a grudge over Clementine putting the woman "out of her misery" because she had become a walker doesn't make any sense. It's been around two years since the apocalypse started, so they should know what happens to the deceased.

2.) He started the confrontation with Clem's group (whether justified or not) and his group lost. A rational person wouldn't blame someone for killing in self-defense (his group attacked their's).

a.Yes you can. Michelle does exactly that in the first scene and Nick nearly does the same thing to Clementine depending on what you do after waking up, including Rebecca trying to take the gun from him on one option.
    b. True, but you can pull the trigger unintentionally if you're not careful with your finger placement.
    c.Okay, admittedly this is something that's lost in translation and unavoidable due to things that have to happen because the story demands. What he/she's referring to is the notion that Arvo may have shot Clementine by accident on nicer playthrough's due to a look of shock/horror on his face. Having done the research, I can confirm that this is indeed true, but the problem is the cinematography.
    This most likely refers to the cut where Mike looks back at him after Clementine drops to the ground: if you were mean/threatening towards Arvo and Mike, Arvo will have a glare on his face before looking up at Mike and almost immediately stumbling off in a nervous panic; however, if you were nice/cooperative towards Arvo and Mike, his facial expression is a more wide-eyed one of surprise, as if he didn't consciously intend to actually shoot her. However, because the camera doesn't actually focus on this combined with people just being swerved that he actually shot Clementine, it's a relatively negligent detail that most people just don't notice.

a.) No, you really can't if you know how to properly treat a gun, and though I doubt any of the mentioned people have had training, it doesn't excuse their actions. The most-important rule when handling a firearm: Don't point the barrel at someone unless you intend to hurt them. Second most-important rule: Keep your finger away from the trigger until you intend to shoot. Third most-important rule: Keep the safety on to avoid accidentally breaking rules 1 & 2.

b.) Again, not an excuse. The gun is in someone's hands, it is pointed at someone, and their fingers are way too close to the trigger, so when something happens they are entirely responsible, whether it was an "accident" or not.

c.) I've played the game more than a few times, and I didn't interpret Arvo's reactions that way. But then again, I don't really care about whether he meant to shoot Clem or not, the fact is that he did, and then ran off afterwards (for good reason, he was dead if Kenny caught him).

Yes, Jane was right to be cautious about a stranger hanging around the area but she went too far when encouraged Clementine to outright rob the guy rather than attempt to work out some deal when she had control of the situation, which ended up biting both groups in the ass.

I actually believe she was stupid for letting Arvo go. If she was so interested in stealing from the Russian, and was actually concerned that letting him go would cause future problems, she should have killed the kid right then and there. But that's a problem with the game itself, I suppose, since you never get to make that choice. Instead, Jane goes for a middle-ground approach, taking Arvo's gun and threatening him to stay away from Clem's group.

Personally, I don't like Arvo, I don't like his character (I don't like the Russian group as a whole, tbh), and I don't consider him underrated because he lacks depth (a problem seen in most Season two characters). He appears, he points a gun at Clem, he gets mugged, and then instigates a confrontation. His group is killed and he is taken prisoner. He gets treated like crap by Kenny, but is eventually set free by Mike. Then he shoots Clem and runs off on his own.

... I simply cannot see how he is underrated as a character, especially when we know next to nothing about him (again, a problem with most of the season two cast). But again, to each their own.

DabigRG posted: »

That doesn't make any sense. That's like someone saying they like Kenny cos he called Carver a "fucker" right in front of his face. Yes you

• Underrated:
    Mark
    Doug
    Pete (S2 and the mini-series)
    Chuck
    Vernon
    Christa

Overrated:
    Kenny (S2, not S1)
    Clem (S2, not S1)
    Nate
    Nick

• It doesn't give me a reason to respect him, as goading your aggressor into hurting you more doesn't seem like a good idea to me, but to each their own.

Yeah, it's more in that "Ya got spunk, kid" type of way that brute/warrior characters tend to react to similar actions.

His sister had died, he personally saw her corpse on the ground (he was even cradling her dead body before Kenny stepped in). To hold a grudge over Clementine putting the woman "out of her misery" because she had become a walker doesn't make any sense.It's been around two years since the apocalypse started, so they should know what happens to the deceased.

That's something that isn't really clarified, but the point is Arvo apparently blaming Clementine for his sister's death is an understandable response given that she not only shot his sister from his perspectice but was part of the reason that conflict started in the first place. It's probably one the few "villainous" traits he had at that point, oddly enough: blaming someone for something bad that happens under extensive circumstances. Though even that's debatable given how directly involved she was.
    Also, I've brought up before that it's entirely possible that the Russians didn't know how the walkers worked due to the implications surrounding their presence and Vitali's personality.

No, you really can't if you know how to properly treat a gun, and though I doubt any of the mentioned people have had training, it doesn't excuse their actions. The most-important rule when handling a firearm: Don't point the barrel at someone unless you intend to hurt them. Second most-important rule: Keep your finger away from the trigger until you intend to shoot. Third most-important rule: Keep the safety on to avoid accidentally breaking rules 1 & 2.

Funny, that's essentially Michelle and Nick's problem: it's implied that Michelle had little to no actual experience with guns due to being a pseudo-nihilistic poser and Nick is flat out called out on not being very gun safe in general.

Again, not an excuse. The gun is in someone's hands, it is pointed at someone, and their fingers are way too close to the trigger, so when something happens they are entirely responsible, whether it was an "accident" or not.

I wasn't trying to make an excuse, I was telling you how that could happen. They are responsible since they are the ones using a gun, which is a dangerous tool that you can get a license to carry freely.

Personally, I don't like Arvo, I don't like his character (I don't like the Russian group as a whole, tbh), and I don't consider him underrated because he lacks depth (a problem seen in most Season two characters).

Ya don't say? But you're right in that Arvo is another example of a decent concept around them that got simplified as the Season went on. He was set up to be a grey character that becomes an antagonist but was shoehorned into being treated as a full out villain because Kenny said so, with his descent into actual villainy halfassing/skipping step.
    He has more depth than Carver at least, though that's not saying much.:lol:

... I simply cannot see how he is underrated as a character, especially when we know next to nothing about him (again, a problem with most of the season two cast). But again, to each their own.

Actually, I wasn't the one who said he was underrated, just commenting on someone else's reply. I actually think he's technically overrated, to be honest.

Mark$man posted: »

But it does give reason to respect him, as you sorta point out. Here he is, tied up as a prisoner within his own incomplete home after losin

• I didn't mean to imply anything related to your personal opinion, honestly, but most of my post happened to be in response to your comments, so I put everything into one message. XD

Hmm, I actually liked Carver more, because it was heavily implied that he was actually a good person that changed through being exposed to the apocalyptic world for so long. He was the "morally gray" antagonist of the season, as his actions are questionable but he isn't exactly The Governor (I feel that his character simply wasn't given enough time to shine). Meanwhile, Arvo was just... an all-around miss for me.

It doesn't give me a reason to respect him, as goading your aggressor into hurting you more doesn't seem like a good idea to me, but to each

• edited October 2016

Hmm, I actually liked Carver more, because it was heavily implied that he was actually a good person that changed through being exposed to the apocalyptic world for so long. He was the "morally gray" antagonist of the season, as his actions are questionable but he isn't exactly The Governor (I feel that his character simply wasn't given enough time to shine). Meanwhile, Arvo was just... an all-around miss for me.

Carver is a major example of where the Season's writing faltered since he was indeed built up as a dangerous but intelligent gray villain with indications that whatever villainy he developed over time drove the Cabin Group to do some shady things in order to escape. Episode 3 had him be anything but, with pretty much any attempts to show a more positive side being contradicted by his behavior or just flat out go nowhere. It didn't help that I had him figured the moment I saw "George" at the Cabin.

I made a post or two pointing out how Arvo was the opposite of Carver in terms of villainy, for better and worse. I considered him to have more "depth"(as in he felt more like a character compared to Carver feeling like an ideal) because there was some effort put into giving him something resembling a backstory(not the word I want to use, but basically motivation and context) that makes his beef with the Howe's Ski Cabin Group grey, but the problem with him is that he was too sympathetic and barely antagonistic until the end.

Honestly, the morality in those last 3 episodes got pretty bad at times, with Luke and Carver, Kenny and Arvo, and for some fuckin reason Jane and Sarah being the main examples of that.

Mark$man posted: »

I didn't mean to imply anything related to your personal opinion, honestly, but most of my post happened to be in response to your comments,

• I like her like character too.
    I'm was so worried about Clem and *** when she took gun.

Yeah, that's why I put her here. At the risk of going on a tangent, I really liked what she did from a storytelling perspective and wish she stuck around for another episode. Also, are you new here?

• edited October 2016

Yeah. Also, I'm assuming you're new here and trying to avoid spoilers, then?

I'm was so worried about Clem and *** when she took gun.

...Which she proceeds to hold wrong while sticking up a nine year old 1/2 her size, going on about how Clementine's a little fish compared to last "good catch," and stating her nihilistic phrase while wearing the cutest pink jacket she find. :joy:

Karnedg2013 posted: »

I like her like character too. I'm was so worried about Clem and *** when she took gun.

• Umm, nope.
    I'm here from September 2013.
    And play TWD since 2012.
    It's for people who still don't play Season 2.

Yeah. Also, I'm assuming you're new here and trying to avoid spoilers, then? I'm was so worried about Clem and *** when she took gun.

• Oh, well welcome back, senior! And I just talked about this in this very thread, but anyone who comes here without playing the game might as well give up on spoilers.

Karnedg2013 posted: »

Umm, nope. I'm here from September 2013. And play TWD since 2012. It's for people who still don't play Season 2.

• Paige?

Overrated?

OneWayNoWay posted: »

Underrated: -Lilly. -Chuck. -Walter. Overrated: -Clementine. -Omid. -Paige. -Luke. -Bonnie.

• Underrated Characters

• Katjaa
    • Lilly
    • Doug
    • Christa
    • Vernon
    • Boyd
    • Joyce
    • Clive
    • Brie
    • Bonnie
    • Dee
    • Shel
    • Carlos
    • Sarah
    • William Carver
    • Jane
    • Arvo
    • Samatha
    • Norma
    • Gabby
    • Paige

Balanced Characters

• Kenny
    • Larry
    • Ben
    • Tavia
    • Rebecca
    • Luke
    • Michonne
    • Pete from The Companion
    • Randall
    • Oak

Overrated Characters

• Lee
    • Clementine
    • Carley
    • Omid
    • Molly
    • Alvin
    • Troy
    • Zachary

Characters That People Underly Or Poorly Sympathize With

Everybody in the game.

• I'm curious about that as well, since I've only seen a few people mention likingnher.

Paige? Overrated?

• Holy smokes, that's a lot of short sells!

Underrated Characters

Katjaa
    Vernon
    Boyd
    Joyce
    Clive
    Brie
    Dee
    Shel
    Carlos
    Samatha
    Norma
    Gabby
    Paige

While I'd say that Katjaa, Vernon, Brie, Shel, Carlos, and most of the Michonne choices are great points, I guess the Cancer Trio, Dee, and Gabby admittedly make me raise an eyebrow. The Cancer Trio are a bit one-note, even by Season 2.6's harsh standards, and Gabby has, like, two or three brief scenes of being an angry Latina. I'm in the middle about Dee, though.

Balanced Characters
    Tavia

Not sure about Tavia, but otherwise legit.

Overrated Characters
    Alvin
    Troy
    Zachary

How?

Characters That People Underly Or Poorly Sympathize With

Everybody in the game.

:lol:

Underrated Characters * Katjaa * Lilly * Doug * Christa * Vernon * Boyd * Joyce * Clive * Brie * Bonnie * Dee * Shel * Carl

• edited October 2016

I'll respond descriptively as soon as I have the time.

Edited section

I did not just forget about this. Moving on!

Boyd, Joyce and Clive left an long-lasting impression on me of being minor characters that could have been part of the main cast. The three of them have decent backstory of living at Crawford and seeing everyone who they used to know die, and then being separated from their leader figure amidst mysterious events, until winding up at the pitstop. I liked how one of the main themes for them was morality, and the lengths that one should be able go to save oneself and those we care about at the cost of other people's safety.

Dee is deserves more credit than the majority players give her, in my opinion. Not only did she contribute to keeping a former drug addict alive, but she also put up with said person's affair with her own husband for who knows how long. Besides, I also believe that her theft of the pitstop's supplies adds depth to her.

Gabby is the kind of character that you recognize as "oh, it's that lady" if you haven't been paying attention. I had the idea that a rivalry had been set up between her and Norma starting from "In Too Deep." She also appears to be Randall's close partner and supporter, and even then, she was not above compromising his safety if it meant getting retribution for the killed colonists of Monroe. She is among my liked characters due to multiple small details that I wish not to name in this compressed paragraph, though I do believe she is underrated from what she can be if you look closely.

Alvin, I feel, is regarded much higher than he deserves. He did not do anything remarkably selfless, nor did he do anything remarkably brave, nor did he do anything remarkably beneficial for the group. He was just sort of there; quite a few people behave as if he were the incarnation of good.

Troy has got to be the most bidimentional character in the series.

Zachary is considered selfless and brave to have prevented Norma from killing Michonne, even though the latter had destroyed the former's colony and had been involved in the former's brother's death. I suppose, though, that hitting Norma with a stick was the right thing to do, because Michonne is allowed to kill her but it doesn't work the other way around. Zachary is a traitor.

Holy smokes, that's a lot of short sells! Underrated Characters Katjaa Vernon Boyd Joyce Clive Brie Dee Sh

• Katjaa. I think she's truely underrated despite her small role in the game. A just completely normal person doing her best to look out for her kid in the ZA. She was also easy to confide in and helped out whenever she could. I dont think many people care for her due to Duck and her were pretty much treated as the same character since one wasn't far away from the other and she was big (not acceptable in the ZA).

• I wasn't notified about this post, either.

I'm curious about that as well, since I've only seen a few people mention likingnher.

• Maybe she isn't actually overrated, but from what I've seen on here a lot of people really seem to like her, whilst I just found her to be an okay character, but certainty not anything special.

Paige? Overrated?

• Yeah, thinking about it, I've no clue why I put Bonnie in overrated, considering she's one of the more hated characters...

• Underrated:

• Vernon
    • Stranger
    • Larry
    •Andy St. John
    • Doug

Overrated:

• Carley
    • Jane
    • Clementine

• edited October 2016

As I said to RavenSnowStorm(may she rest in pizza), the response she got in comparison to her role makes sense. A necessary evil, if you will.

An common way to add to a character is by giving them a friend or villain that they can interact with. While this can sometimes lead to Satellite Characters, it does produce some positive results. Paige essentially functioned as a non-related sign that Sam is indeed a good person, she just has a sharp edge to her that makes this difficult to see. And while they makes characters like Sam more likeable, they also get some fans of their own. After all, you like Paige, I like Sarah, and I'm sure most people also like characters in the same vein as Katjaa, Omid, Alvin, or even Becca.

No, I'm not lazy; why do you ask?:joy:

OneWayNoWay posted: »

Maybe she isn't actually overrated, but from what I've seen on here a lot of people really seem to like her, whilst I just found her to be an okay character, but certainty not anything special.

• I was waiting on someone to say Katjaa.

Did you know that originally she was the one who didn't trust the St.Johns and encouraged Lee to search the shed?

DoubleJump posted: »

Katjaa. I think she's truely underrated despite her small role in the game. A just completely normal person doing her best to look out for h

• Yep. I was messing around with all the different outcomes in S1 and while talking to Katjaa during Andy's distraction she knew something was up.

I was waiting on someone to say Katjaa. Did you know that originally she was the one who didn't trust the St.Johns and encouraged Lee to search the shed?

• Oh, I didn't know that. I was referring to what I thought was unused voice clips.

DoubleJump posted: »

Yep. I was messing around with all the different outcomes in S1 and while talking to Katjaa during Andy's distraction she knew something was up.

• Is this related to likability, or do you mean "overrated" and "underrated" as in who are the most and least talked-about characters? Since I'm not sure, I'm going to name names that come to mind.

Overrated: Carley, Molly, Omid, Becca from 400 Days, and Luke

I would have included Kenny, Jane, and Bonnie as overrated but it looks like they are about 50/50 hype vs hate. Their characterizations were also really good.

Underrated: Doug, Katjaa, Christa, Chuck, Shel from 400 Days LOL, Walter, and Tavia.

• Overrated:Christa

Mind explaining why?

AgentZ46 posted: »

Overrated: * CARLEY! * Omid * Christa Underrated: * Doug * Mike

• Overrated: Nick

Mind explaining why?

NOHATCLEM posted: »

Underrated: * Rebecca * Walter * Alvin * Sarah Overrated: * Luke * Nate * Nick

• Underrated: Carver

...Really? :confused:

Underrated: * Carver * Christa * Walter * Alvin * Pete Overrated: * Bonnie * Arvo * Nate

• Underrated:• Vernon
    •Andy St. John

I want to say I agree with Vernon, but would you mind explaining your choices?

Underrated: • Vernon • Stranger • Larry •Andy St. John • Doug Overrated: • Carley • Jane • Clementine

• Overrated: Becca from 400 Days

Huh? What makes you say that?

Underrated: Shel from 400 Days LOL

Agreed. :smile:

Bon-Bon posted: »

Is this related to likability, or do you mean "overrated" and "underrated" as in who are the most and least talked-about characters? Since I

• edited October 2016

I think I'll take the opportunity explain my opinions on Wyatt and Eddie here, since they're two of the characters I don't particularly care for.

I don't outright hate the two junkies, it's just that I didn't see very much apt with them in the Walking Dead. Russell and Nate aren't much better. I guess its the type of feeling some people got with Molly.

Wyatt was the character whose probably the least interesting of that DLC to me. I thought he was probably the most basic of the protagonists, since he didn't really have any clear goal beside "find my idiot friend." He was a stoner, kind of a killjoy, and that's about it. Good for contrast, but not very appealing on his own. Besides that awesome beard, anyway.

Eddie is the reason I've previously stated that Wyatt's scenario represents how the screw ups of someone you consider your friend shouldn't be allowed to get you killed: He's dumb pothead/stoner who literally blew some dude's brains out while taking a dump, got him and his friend chased by a psycho trucker who was friends with the dude, and either cut and run or was eventually killed for Nate's revenge. The one genuinely good thing about him that I personally respect is that he clearly feels remorse for killing the guy(even if there was a chance he was a psycho as well) and even insists that either he or Wyatt risk themselves when they accidentally hit Officer Bennett in the fog, despite the fact that Nate may still be looking for them.

For those that really wanted these two stoners back, I'm feel bad for you but at the same time, they aren't exactly the most respectable guys or flexible characters out there. I never saw either of them(or a few other requested returning) as bringing anything useful, interesting, or even relevant to Clementine's story, which is something Bonnie, Becca, and Taavia(at least as of Season 2) had going for them.'

"Oh look, Javier, it's this screw-up junkie and some wild trucker I've never seen before. I think their both on our side, for some reason."
    "How random."

It would be like bringing back Kenny again except potentially worse.

Goddammit, you stole my idea! I literally tried to make a similar thread yesterday but I had connection issues, somehow lost the header text

• Her arrogance just gets on my nerves. She criticises everything I do and she gets so mad if you 'pry' into her business but insists on knowing everything about you.

In short, I don't like her but she gets so much praise.

Overrated:Christa Mind explaining why?

• edited October 2016

she gets so much praise.

No she dosen't. Most people (including me) feel the same way.

EDIT: Changed my sentence

Her arrogance just gets on my nerves. She criticises everything I do and she gets so mad if you 'pry' into her business but insists on knowing everything about you. In short, I don't like her but she gets so much praise.

• I don't think that's true, majority seems to like Christa more than they dislike her.

she gets so much praise. No she dosen't. Most people (including me) feel the same way. EDIT: Changed my sentence

• she gets so mad if you 'pry' into her business

It's been a while since I played Season 1, much less the episodes with Christa, but I'm afraid I don't know what you're referencing here.

In short, I don't like her but she gets so much praise.

I've seen a number of people say they didn't like her on a personal level (apparently due to her suspicious similarity to Lilly) but that they appreciate her for taking care of Clementine and giving her some of the knowledge she has in Season 2.

Her arrogance just gets on my nerves. She criticises everything I do and she gets so mad if you 'pry' into her business but insists on knowing everything about you. In short, I don't like her but she gets so much praise.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.