Unpopular walking dead opinions?

Comments

• Just because you see a few people saying that doesn't mean that equals the whole community.

Really? I could've sworn i saw comments saying Michonne was better than season 2 when the episodes were coming out

• I'm sure there's a thread where you can talk about this, but do you explain why now?

I really don't like Clementine or Kenny, and I want Jane to get her own DLC backstory.

• Well, given that it's longer, more it's own thing, and stars a character more people are liable to like...
    [Speaking as someone who doesn't watch the TV show, of course]

Season 2 was better than Walking Dead: Michonne.

• Keywords: when the episodes were coming out. Given that this was two years(man, I was late) after the controversial final episodes of Season 2, people were likely starved for more Walking Dead gameplay and would naturally be expected to hold the DLC to a high standard because of the time gap and because of saltiness about Season 2.

Assuming you weren't among the crowd that were against the game because you wanted more Clementine, anyway....

Really? I could've sworn i saw comments saying Michonne was better than season 2 when the episodes were coming out

• Clementine is poorly written and a Mary-Sue, Ken has had too many chances to redeem himself and failed each time and Jane is really interesting to me and I love her character.

DabigRG posted: »

I'm sure there's a thread where you can talk about this, but do you explain why now?

• The irony is that all of that could easily be applied to Jane. Also, calling Clementine a Mary Sue is a bit extreme, don't ya think? I get what you're probably getting at, what with her being inherently likable, but it's still a bit much.

Clementine is poorly written and a Mary-Sue, Ken has had too many chances to redeem himself and failed each time and Jane is really interesting to me and I love her character.

• That's not unpopular.

J-Master posted: »

I don't find S2 Clementine to be particularly interesting.

• edited October 2016

[removed]

• It was alot more than just a few, and thats taken in consideration of comments outside of these forums.

Just because you see a few people saying that doesn't mean that equals the whole community.

• I do too.

Acheive250 posted: »

I think The Walking Dead Season 2 is a great game.

• I feel like Season 3 making Clementine a teenager, combined with how she was characterized in Season 2, is missing the point of what makes her special and the series is kinda shooting itself in the foot. Posts like this only drive this feeling home.

• I wanted to leave with Mike and Bonnie and Arvo to escape from Kenneth. Not that he was a bad character but, like Luke said, "broken people get reckless." - he was getting reckless and he was scaring me a fair amount.

• I thought Sarah was the best character in Season 2. Is this unpopular? IDK...

• edited October 2016

Not sure either, but I wanna say I agree. :smile: I think most of the dissenters would be Kenny, Jane, and Clementine fans.

PS. This isn't meant to knock Kenny, Jane, or Clementine, I'm just pointing out that they're likely to be picked over Sarah by the masses.

I thought Sarah was the best character in Season 2. Is this unpopular? IDK...

• Not gonna lie, but part of me did too if only because I felt that Kenny and especially Jane weren't very safe to be around at the time.

I wanted to leave with Mike and Bonnie and Arvo to escape from Kenneth. Not that he was a bad character but, like Luke said, "broken people get reckless." - he was getting reckless and he was scaring me a fair amount.

• edited October 2016

Yeah probably lol. I like Clem and Kenny too, though.

Ever since she saved Clementine's (who was also a total stranger to her, mind you) life, I became immediately attached to her character. She had a lot of potential to be just like Clementine; I thought that ever since that option to teach her how to shoot appeared. And then episode 4 was written and her potential was fucking ruined. When JT Petty dies, I'll be there at his funeral to spit on his grave.

I still do not understand what is so bad about her? She's just a kid (or did I just answer my own question?).

Not sure either, but I wanna say I agree. I think most of the dissenters would be Kenny, Jane, and Clementine fans. PS. This isn't meant

• edited October 2016

Ever since she saved Clementine's (who was also a total stranger to her, mind you) life, I became immediately attached to her character.

The funny thing about me is that I wasn't too comfortable with her in Episode 1; I didn't dislike her, but there were all these red flags being raised about her and some vague early spoilers that both had me a little on edge. It was Episode 2 where her complex dopey yet endearing demeanor that really got me hooked.

She had a lot of potential to be just like Clementine; I thought that ever since that option to teach her how to shoot appeared. And then episode 4 was written and her potential was fucking ruined.

That's ...something I'm really polarized about myself but I'm gonna have to save that stuff for an appropriate topic. And trust me, there's a lot to talk about!

EDIT: I forgot to say: while Sarah definitely had a lot of potential to grow, I don't think she'd be just like Clementine. They are two different characters after all.

I still do not understand what is so bad about her? She's just a kid (or did I just answer my own question?).

Yeah, a bit. I think its a combination of things like comparisons to Season1!Clementine, Duck, and later Ben, the fact that she serves a similar purpose as Kenny, her odd sometimes creepy behavior, the fact that she is a bit of a chatterbox at times, and the fact that she's the opposite of Jane that lead to negative reactions.

Yeah probably lol. I like Clem and Kenny too, though. Ever since she saved Clementine's (who was also a total stranger to her, mind you)

• Yeah, like, I was already scared of when Jane and Kenneth were together and fighting in the truck (as I was putting myself in Clem's position and I would be terrified) and Kenneth was the main instigator of the arguments. I get why he was the way he was, but it still wasn't much of an excuse for his actions towards Jane (and various other characters in the game)

Not gonna lie, but part of me did too if only because I felt that Kenny and especially Jane weren't very safe to be around at the time.

• I hope Christa is dead or, at the very least, just doesn't appear in future additions of the series.

It's not that I don't like her character (and I admit seeing the interactions between her, Clementine and AJ would be interesting especially considering we never fully explored Clem and Christa's relationship after Omid's death), it's that she's been gone for far too long and that her returning would just feel out of place. Also, considering the return of Kenny in Season 2 I just don't think her return could be taken seriously. The returning character card has already been pulled. Pull it again and it will turn into a meme.

• Kenny is a meme.

Davissons posted: »

I hope Christa is dead or, at the very least, just doesn't appear in future additions of the series. It's not that I don't like her chara

• edited October 2016

I hate everyone. (Except Lee & Clem)

• edited October 2016

[removed]

• Gosh... Everyone?

• I was kidding. ;p

Acheive250 posted: »

Gosh... Everyone?

• edited October 2016

The funny thing about me is that I wasn't too comfortable with her in Episode 1; I didn't dislike her, but there were all these red flags being raised about her and some vague early spoilers that both had me a little on edge.

What red flags and what spoilers?

I don't think she'd be just like Clementine.

Well, true. But I think she'd be at least a little bit like her if her potential wasn't axed. Mostly because I think they'd have 2 things in common:

One, they both are good at shooting. And two, they both once lost a father figure. They'd be very relatable.

her odd sometimes creepy behavior

In what way was she ever creepy?

Ever since she saved Clementine's (who was also a total stranger to her, mind you) life, I became immediately attached to her character.

• edited January 2017

What red flags and what spoilers?

Well, more like one vague spoiler and some foreshadowing. All I heard about her before the game was that she was a creepy 7 year old with a fixation on making Clementine her friend. Of course, that 7 year old is actually 15 and is noticeably taller than the already hunched over in pain Clementine, so there's some automatic discomfort going on there. Plus, there's her automatic assumption that she and Clementine are friends when you tell her your name, how insistent she gets about it, Clementine's line about not having to do something friendly that she ignores, the fact that she is basically taking advantage of Clementine without even knowing it, the smile she has after the pinkie swear, and then there's Carlos claim that she's "not like you" and that "you'll soon come to understand." Add that up with the fact that she was being constantly sheltered made me suspect that she was probably gonna turn out to be some sort of closeted sociopath who Carlos was going the extra mile to keep under control.
    And the following episodes did have moments suggesting that she might indeed become a darker character, particularly the fact that a scene ends with Carver putting a hand on her shoulder while tilting his head in that sort of "Just between you and me" type of way as Clementine leaves them alone...

Well, true. But I think she'd be at least a little bit like her if her potential wasn't axed. Mostly because I think they'd have 2 things in common:

One, they both are good at shooting. And two, they both once lost a father figure. They'd be very relatable.

Unfortunately, the first one isn't know for certain since she didn't get the chance. Even though there was a perfectly good setup for her to do so.

In what way was she ever creepy?

Well, she was reading a book about brain snatchers. And she suddenly decided she and Clementine are friends just because they're both girls. And the fact that she's noticeably taller than Clementine in a relatively close distance of a dark room of a house Clementine shouldn't even be in. And she got very insistent about it, to the point of saying trust is why they should be friends. And of course, dat raepface.

Again, while I never disliked Sarah, she was raising a lot of red flags in the first episode. Even though Clementine was supposed to be the one raising red flags.

The funny thing about me is that I wasn't too comfortable with her in Episode 1; I didn't dislike her, but there were all these red flags be

• Sarah is the worst main character in Season 2. Does not mean that her writing was really horrendous, but from time to time it was worse than the others

:unamused:...Explain?

• So, the issue is that Sarah too is realistic compared to the much more cinematic tone the story tries to get by on? Okay, on that much, I can agree. In fact, I think that's a key reason why Season 1 was so much stronger.

Unlike the other characters, Telltale didn't bother giving Sarah a redeeming moment to show that she has grown up.

And that's [one of the many x 5 reasons] why Sarah's "canon" death sucks!
    To be fair, that's a problem with most of the Cabin Group and I plan on talking about that at some point.

They wanted to show a different child in the zombie apocalypse, the one that doesn't have de ballz like Clem, but instead, has sings of cowardly behaviour, never being acceptant about zombie apocalypse and never being likable.

Okay, I know the line between being likable or sympathetic is blurred sometimes, but Sarah was definitely likable once you got past her more unusual traits. Examples include: Saying she's going to help Clementine even though she just said she's not even supposed to be talking to her, showing a desire to grow past her flaws and learn to be a survivor, standing up for Clementine when Carlos/Carver get angry with her, being nice to a majority of the people she meets, showing empathy towards anyone who might get hurt, and admitting that she has a problem when Clementine disobeys Jane's advice and saves her from the trailer.

Fine by me, we don't really care.

And that to me is exactly why her "canon" death is the worst moment in Season 2 from a writing standpoint: They Just Didn't Care. And it shows!
    The worst thing a professional can do is show that they don't care.

I am not saying her character was bad, I'm saying her writing was worse than the others.

I wouldn't say her writing as a whole was worse, but rather the direction of her place in the story. Sarah fills a similar role that Kenny filled in Season 1: being a flawed, more emotional foil to the player character that will go through an experience that the player character can empathize with due to the inherent similarities between them. The fact that Clementine herself is only 11 means it makes sense for Sarah focused scenes to feel inherently different from the character's because they're the youngest members of the group.
    She was personally introduced to Clementine separately form the other characters and immediately tried to establish a friendly connection with her. This, combined with Carlos's sheltering of her and hints that she's more complex than she seems, indicates that she's supposed to be a major character going forward, with a story to tell and a destination to reach. Despite Kenny pretty much hijacking the plot in Episode 3, Sarah remained a distinct presence with her own segments and it becomes clear that whatever journey is planned for her won't be an easy one. At the end of the episode, the turning point for her character happens when Carlos is struck by a stray bullet and chomped by walkers right in front of her, causing Sarah to break down and eventually run away from this traumatic site with Luke and determinately Nick going after her.
    Finally, Amid the Ruins(the polarizing episode that it is) has Clementine and newcomer Jane track down the two/three to a trailer park, where Nick died trying to go find help when he got bitten by a walker and eventually turned while leaving the park. Sarah is heard inside arguing with Luke, saying that she "can't" and even telling him to just leave her at one point. After finding Sarah in a catatonic state and attempting to reason with her, Clementine can be given a similar explanation that Carlos gave her: Sarah's not like her. After being determinately slapped by Clementine, Sarah is pulled up onto the roof and leaves the park. Recognizing that she nearly got them all killed, Sarah responds to Clementine's attempts to encourage her by pointing out that she's "not okay," to which Clementine tells her to just try before going to argue over Sarah's condition with Jane, who tried to pressure Clementine into leaving her. From that point on, Sarah just hangs around the site's statue, keeping within Kenny and Rebecca's area, doing what little she's told, and just trying to think things over. A few optional conversations with her reveals that she is aware that they wanted to leave her and upon having her own opinion about whether they should be questioned, she changes the subject to saying she misses her dad, whom she even tries to delude herself into thinking is still alive. In the climax of the episode, Sarah is the one to spot the herd approaching and warns everyone, to which Mike points out that Luke was supposed to be keeping an eye. Being told to get going by Clementine or Mike, Sarah follows the group to the Observation Deck and presumably helps Mike secure the back door. When it's time to defend the Gift Shop, Sarah is seen coming out onto the deck as Luke is handing out the ammo...and does nothing, even though there was pretty clear setup for her to do something leading up to this scene. She eventually ends up falling when the deck collapses, is somehow buried under rubble, and is left at the mercy of the herd when Clementine/Jane chooses to abandon her due to being preoccupied.
    This is essentially getting rid of a main character since the first episode in the most contrived and unavoidable manner possible, with little to no effect on the characters and story going forward.

• Excellent post. I couldn't agree more.

So, the issue is that Sarah too is realistic compared to the much more cinematic tone the story tries to get by on? Okay, on that much, I ca

• Understandable. Most of the game's endings don't exactly leave much room for positive thinking.

• enter image description here

So, the issue is that Sarah too is realistic compared to the much more cinematic tone the story tries to get by on? Okay, on that much, I ca

• edited October 2016

True. They really should've had her do more if they were gonna just kill her off in the middle of an action sequence or at the very least, visibly move her into a place where she is prepared to show that she has changed and have her death have this meaningful tragedy to it.

I know I've alluded to this in the past but they actually seemed to have set that scene up with Sarah using a gun in mind. I mean, if you were gonna have her die in that scene, why not make it a character moment? Sarah was just quietly hanging around for most of the episode in a depression, with Jane being paranoid about her state of mind to the point of saying she could become dangerous. Given that Jane was being characterized as being too jaded by her past to give people a chance, having Sarah do something useful would've been good character development for both. And of course, there's the conspicuous presence of something that would've provided her with one if the group really didn't have any available...

Honestly, having her die during the cut to black at the end of the episode would've been a smarter choice.

• Jane is something of a Replacement Scrappy.
    She is also something of a Mary Sue.

• I don't hate AJ.

• I think Clementine is ugly, I want her to die now!

(it's not mine opinions)

• In my opinion, S2E2 is the best and most complete episode so far in the series.

• Agreed! Strongest episode of the Season! :smile:

In my opinion, S2E2 is the best and most complete episode so far in the series.

• edited November 2016

What. The. ...

poop1995 posted: »

I think Clementine is ugly, I want her to die now! (it's not mine opinions)

• Really? Not even a little?

You just killed the closest person to Lilly and... No regrets?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.