Unpopular walking dead opinions?

Comments

• You are being arbitrarily arrogant as you call Molly a Mary Sue...yet there is nothing about the character that fits the definition of Mary Sue. Your problem is you like to throw terms around without actual facts to back them up.

You're acting foolishly ignorant. I am not discussing the history of fictional media—I'm discussing a literary trope that applies to both men and women.

• Your problem is you like to throw terms around without actual facts to back them up.

Welcome to the Internet, Sugarcube!

You are being arbitrarily arrogant as you call Molly a Mary Sue...yet there is nothing about the character that fits the definition of Mary Sue. Your problem is you like to throw terms around without actual facts to back them up.

• But if you always know that saving them the first time is going to get you a better story branch when it comes to the second death then that sort of takes away the not knowing aspect. Having a balance means that it'll make it that much harder a decision over whether to save them or not. I don't disagree that Sarah's second death detracts from the story a little but the concept can still itself can still work as long as they can make both deaths mean at least something for future determinant characters.

Deltino posted: »

As far as I'm concerned, Sarah is the only time in the entire game where leaving someone to die is actually the better option than saving th

• Im not sure if Molly is a mary sue given that the character does appear to suffer some hardships and she is only in one episode. She seems more like one of the more crazy comic characters like michonne but we dont get enough time for her to develop some flaws. She does show some potential of this, her character is pretty reckless, aggresive and selfish really it just never happens to be directed at the main characters

Jane was a much better done version of her character, still sarcastic and cynical but with the true coldness also brought into fullview

You are being arbitrarily arrogant as you call Molly a Mary Sue...yet there is nothing about the character that fits the definition of Mary Sue. Your problem is you like to throw terms around without actual facts to back them up.

• The term "Mary Sue" has lost it's meaning completely for me because of people using it unfairly. I have made my own definitions of what the term means and Molly doesn't really fit in to what I think a Mary Sue is.

• But if you always know that saving them the first time is going to get you a better story branch when it comes to the second death then that sort of takes away the not knowing aspect. Having a balance means that it'll make it that much harder a decision over whether to save them or not.

Honestly, saving the life of someone when you can let the die without risking your own life in the process seems like an obvious benefit, since that person would no doubt be grateful enough to repay that kindness later. Let's bring up the main comparison that people make for a variety of reasons: Ben Paul. As you know, Ben reveals his role in Duck and Katjaa's deaths while the group is getting ready to escape from Crawford. This causes Kenny to stop everyone in their tracks for the sole purpose of kicking Ben out of the group, which gets Brie killed when the walkers break into the room. When everyone is in the process of escaping the clock tower window, Ben is grabbed from behind by Walker!Oberson. This leads to a choice on Lee's part: either rescue Ben and pull him up despite his pleas to just let him go or follow the nudging of Kenny and let him drop.

If you do let Ben fall to his nightmarish death, it does kinda feel like you get penalized from that point on. While Kenny is satisfied with your choice, Clementine and Vernon both express their disappointment over you willingly letting your own group member die. Not only that, but the final episode feels noticeably empty with Ben's absence. However, pulling him up and allowing him to live has noticeable benefits: not only do you have someone to fall back on should Kenny decide to be a dick or Christa & Omid decide to stay behind, but both Ben and Kenny get some needed character development as a result: Ben not only decides to stand up for himself for once and admit his own demons he's been hiding for a while, but he also helps Kenny be able to begrudge less over his own losses in the past and focus more on the task at hand for the people who need him now. And, as karma would have it, when Ben ends up falling to his canon death later on in the alleyway through little fault of his own, Kenny runs to go down there and check on him with little hesitance. When it's revealed that he's been impaled on a railing and it becomes clear they won't be able to get him up before the walkers mob them, Kenny locks Lee outta the alleyway so he can , describing saving Ben as "just something I gotta do." Kenny then tries his best to fight off the walkers before using his last bullet to put down Ben, before disappearing to an unknown fate. While Kenny does end up doing something similar for Christa if Ben was dropped at the clock tower, this alternative meant a lot more because Kenny went and risked his life making sure Ben didn't have suffer through his worst fear, despite the fact that this is the boy who got his family killed.

Two of the issues surrounding Sarah's death as a plot point is that it fails to provide any real closure for her character arc while also failing to have her death actually have any necessary consequences on the story, characters, tone, and Season almost immediately afterwards.

I don't disagree that Sarah's second death detracts from the story a little but the concept can still itself can still work as long as they can make both deaths mean at least something for future determinant characters.

Exactly. In fact, I can go into why Sarah's death completely fails not only as closure for her character, but from a writing standpoint.

SemiSweet posted: »

But if you always know that saving them the first time is going to get you a better story branch when it comes to the second death then that

• Agreed.

Im not sure if Molly is a mary sue given that the character does appear to suffer some hardships and she is only in one episode. She seems m

• Er... yeah, you're right. So, well, congrats, @DabigRG, you have a new history teacher!

OneWayNoWay posted: »

Fascism is when you try to kill and torture EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF A SOCIAL GROUP JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE JEWISH, BACK, HOMOSEXUAL, or any oth

• Great! Now I can finally learn the answer to who came first: the cat or the frog!

Er... yeah, you're right. So, well, congrats, @DabigRG, you have a new history teacher!

• Are you talking about real-life or about the characters in this game? Because if you're talking about the game, then yes, that is correct, they are indeed going through hell. But that is not always the case in real life. I've met a lot of depressive people in my life, and most of the time they were complaining about (Subjectively) unimportant things, like their appearance, sex life, or being afraid of people. Everyone has gone through bad times at least for once in their lives, life without pain doesn't exist. Some people, for their own reasons, want to end their lives because of a certain experience. Others, however, stick it out, and live with the purpose of helping the people around them, no matter what they are going through. Suicide doesn't end the pain, it spreads it into someone else. My friend's grandfather one day decided to end his life and everybody was absolutely saddened by his death, including me. What I'm trying to say is, when someone is in pain, they should do something about it, not just for themselves, for others too, not "envy the dead", like Michonne.

Please don't generalize. Not every depressive person in this world is depressed for a good reason.

There's also a difference between depression and excessive depression. I can't argue with someone who will constantly and only tell me about how his life is trash, we need to change topics every now and then.

Sorry for calling you a dude, I didn't know.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with someone who is annoyed by depressed people. They are going through hell they feel worthless and dead insid

• I am talking about real life people. I know how depression feels like, and I know people who get annoyed by depressed people. Some people don't understand that pain can be relative, you can call someone "Fat" and that person may not care, but someone else might be feeling awful if he/she is called like that. I spent a lot of time thinking I was nothing but a mistake in the universe, that nobody loved me and that it was my fault. I tought I was a terrible person. I don't care how my body looks like, but it hurts when they don't want you around because you have acne, or because you don't dress like everyoe else. I don't know why people are depressed about how they look, but I know how it is to feel depressed because of how they are inside, and those feelings are the same. Would you believe me if I told you that my first thought today was "I am worthless, nobody would miss me if I died"? It was, and it hurt.

When someone is sad, is incredibly selfish to feel annoyed by that. Don't think about how much depressed people bothers you, think about how to help them, try to get in their place, what are they feeling? Just because something doesn't hurt you it doesn't hurt other people.

I know life without pain is impossible, but you can spend one day sad, a week sad, a month sad, depressed people are sad all the time, and they pain is bigger. I agree with you about suicide not being an option, but we don't feel loved, we don't know they will miss us, I know there's people that love me, but not everyone have that luck. Some of us feel so alone they feel they have nothing to keep fighting for. Depressed people shouldn't be always making sure they don't bother anyone, put a fake smile and cry when nobody else is watching you, that's what I've been doing for a long time, and it only makes it hurt more. I didn't want to bother people with my existence, so I steped aside and put a fake smile. I'm better now, but I still don't fully understand how could someone love me.

So, don't be selfish, stop thinking about what bothers you and pay attention to other people's suffering too, maybe you can realise their pain isn't because of "uninportant things", this "uniportant things" mean a lot for us, I don't think you know how it feel like not to feel loved.

Are you talking about real-life or about the characters in this game? Because if you're talking about the game, then yes, that is correct, t

• Odd...I can't seem to find the conversation where this was discussed, but it occurred to me that Jane is arguably even more of a Mary-Sue than Molly is despite being closer to earth and complex.

• I find characters like Clementine, Ben, Sarah, Sarita, and Arvo to be inherently more interesting than characters like Kenny, Lilly, Becca, Jane, and especially Carver.

• edited October 2016

I like Kenny.

Okay, hear me out, I know what you guys are gonna say: "This isn't unpopular, a lot of people like Kenny."

But seriously, I've been noticing a lot of Kenny hatred on these forums, and just a month ago, I played Season 1 and the stats for siding with him are really low. And also the stats for saving him in Season 2 are also really low.

You may now speak.

• Season 2 was better than Walking Dead: Michonne.

• I was all team Kenny throughout season 2.

I like Kenny. Okay, hear me out, I know what you guys are gonna say: "This isn't unpopular, a lot of people like Kenny." But seriously

• Comic books >>>>>>>>>>>>> TV series and spinoffs

• But seriously, I've been noticing a lot of Kenny hatred on these forums,

There was a time on these forums 3 years ago where there was a hell of a lot more Kenny fans but there was so many arguments and most of the sensible Kenny fans have left the boards probably due to the negativity and arguments.

I like Kenny. Okay, hear me out, I know what you guys are gonna say: "This isn't unpopular, a lot of people like Kenny." But seriously

• Well, they need to come back. :'(

dan290786 posted: »

But seriously, I've been noticing a lot of Kenny hatred on these forums, There was a time on these forums 3 years ago where there wa

• Yep agreed, only because these days anytime a Kenny fan (me for example) expresses my opinion or disagrees with someone who for example is being hateful towards the character, i end up getting 3 or 4 Kenny haters ganging up on me implying i'm wrong or further displaying their negativity even more.
    It's never ending but i guess someone has to fight the corner

Well, they need to come back.

• Well said, comrade ;)

I actually said the same thing in the waiting thread not too long ago.

As for the stats of siding with Kenny in season 1, that is simply because the requirements to side with Kenny are so dang high. And if, at any time, the player makes the wrong choice and pisses Kenny off, it affects their opinion of the guy (for better or worse :P). You also have to take into account that some people have played the game more than once (I've probably completed five/six playthroughs over the years), so the stats don't necessarily reflect the fans' opinions. I can attest that most of the statistics in season 1 were 50/50 or close to it (there are exceptions such as the Carley/Doug choice) when the episodes first released.

dan290786 posted: »

But seriously, I've been noticing a lot of Kenny hatred on these forums, There was a time on these forums 3 years ago where there wa

• Thanks man

Mark$man posted: »

Well said, comrade I actually said the same thing in the waiting thread not too long ago. As for the stats of siding with Kenny in se

• Hmm... unpopular opinions...
    Note: Went through a lot of editing/revising, so sorry if there are any mistakes

I frankly am okay with Clem not being the central character in the games. It worked with Lee, it worked with Michonne, it can work with Javier too (yes, I know Clem will also be a playable character).

I am okay with Clementine dying, and I hope that Telltale won't force "plot armor" on her to appease fans. If she lives, that is fine as well (I don't want her to die, ya know...?), but I want Telltale to have to freedom to make a good story. In season one, they really captured TWD's idea that "everyone is vulnerable, and no one is ever safe", and I'd like season three to be the same way. Seeing that Clementine has potentially lost a finger actually excites me somewhat, as it is sort of like a sign has been placed over her head saying "we can kill her any time we like!"

I liked both Jane and Kenny as characters, I simply didn't like how their characters were handled in season 2's last episode. The conflict felt forced, neither of them had to die, and at the end of it all I just felt disappointed.

I don't like AJ. The baby was basically forced onto Clementine, and therefore onto the player. No matter what you tried to do, you are always stuck with the child in the end, and somehow AJ always ends up in your hands when something is wrong. It would be one thing if I were taking care of the kid in respect to people I liked, but this is Carver/Alvin's and Rebecca's baby. The only person I remotely cared about of the three was Alvin, but that doesn't give me any reason to care about his child. Consider this a terrible thing to say, but I'd rather not have to deal with such a giant liability 24/7. My Clementine is a practical, rational survivor, not a babysitter.

• edited October 2016

I don't think Lee is alive. And I don't want him to be.

EDIT: I feel the same way about Luke.

• tHATS NOT UNPOPULAR YOU KNOW!

I don't think Lee is alive. And I don't want him to be. EDIT: I feel the same way about Luke.

• edited October 2016

Then why are there so many posts in the YouTube comments section saying "Lee should come back." or threads on these forums saying "I think Lee is alive."?

tHATS NOT UNPOPULAR YOU KNOW!

• I was actually being sarcastic and the capitalized words were meant to suggest that I was imitating people over on YouTube.

You do have a point, though, to the forums, it's popular.

YouTube is a different story. People are special there!

Then why are there so many posts in the YouTube comments section saying "Lee should come back." or threads on these forums saying "I think Lee is alive."?

• I feel the same as about other dead characters like Luke, Carley, Omid, etc.

I was actually being sarcastic and the capitalized words were meant to suggest that I was imitating people over on YouTube. You do have a point, though, to the forums, it's popular. YouTube is a different story. People are special there!

• I really don't like Clementine or Kenny, and I want Jane to get her own DLC backstory.

• Paige is one of the coolest characters in the game series. Maybe not Lee and Clem's tier, but at least Omid's.

• That isn't unpopular.

Season 2 was better than Walking Dead: Michonne.

• Morality is not that important in the main character. Infact it would be better if main character does have questionable morals and doesn't just do the right thing in every situation.

• THIS.

wdfan posted: »

Morality is not that important in the main character. Infact it would be better if main character does have questionable morals and doesn't just do the right thing in every situation.

• In every situation, yes, but I'd say morals are still nice to hang on to at times.

wdfan posted: »

Morality is not that important in the main character. Infact it would be better if main character does have questionable morals and doesn't just do the right thing in every situation.

• edited October 2016

Really? I could've sworn i saw comments saying Michonne was better than season 2 when the episodes were coming out

That isn't unpopular.

• I don't find S2 Clementine to be particularly interesting.

• I've seen a few other statements like that. I plan on writing something up going into why I think that is, objectively and subjectively.

J-Master posted: »

I don't find S2 Clementine to be particularly interesting.

• I really don't like Clementine

I... I can't believe this...

(This was mainly a joke, I respect your opinion... Even that one)

I really don't like Clementine or Kenny, and I want Jane to get her own DLC backstory.

• Thanks for being respectful, friend! I appreciate it!

Acheive250 posted: »

I really don't like Clementine I... I can't believe this... (This was mainly a joke, I respect your opinion... Even that one)

• I think The Walking Dead Season 2 is a great game.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.